Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Spambook

Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2018 4:40:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
You know one thing that hasn't been taken over by the spammers? Our profile pages. You know another thing that hasn't been (for the most part)? Threads created by people who aren't spammers.
This thread may function as the "Spambook" thread. If the worst happens and the spam makes it impossible for any one thread to remain on the top page of the forums for any reasonable length of time, here's how it'll work:

1. I'll send to your profile a link to this thread
2. On this thread will be posted a link to every new thread created by non-spam users. Since I couldn't possibly keep up with all that, it'd be the responsibility of the thread's creator to post the link here.
3. People regularly check out the Spambook to check out the latest activity on this Site. Effectively, this thread would function as the entirety of the forums. We could also post the links to old threads of significance to the history of this Site, for obvious archiving purposes. So as long as the forums are technically still working, this idea should be feasible. If new non-spam users join, I or someone else can friend them and then send a link to their profile so they can find this page.

This thread can also be used to post debates, for purposes of finding an opponent and judges/people to view it.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2018 5:06:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Alright, let's get started with a few basics.

12/12/2014 <NEW MEMBERS READ Me!!>
http://www.debate.org...

11/10/2014 <Official DDO Hangout Link!>
http://www.debate.org...

7/16/2010 <Record attempt at most posts.>
http://www.debate.org...

4/13/2015 <Fun facts about random stuff>
http://www.debate.org...
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2018 4:17:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What will happen in the future: this is thread no. 1068041. Assuming that the first thread ever made was no. 1, that means 1 million threads have been created thus far. We can reasonably assume that the recent wave of spam threads has inflated this number significantly. This thread was made last night; this thread right here, made a mere 2-3 hours ago (it is roughly 11:16 AM Saturday at the time of posting), has gone up 16,000 spots. That means at least 16,000 threads have been created since last night.

Thread in question:

http://www.debate.org...

Assuming that there is, in theory, no limit built into the Site's programming for how many threads can be made, and that the rate of spam will remain constant. At this rate, the number of threads will go up about 1 million every 20 days or so. That means it'll take about 180 days or less to take the number of existing threads into the 8 digit range. We can assume that from there it'll take 10x as long to add each new digit. It should take less than 1800 days, or about 4 years, to reach the 9 digit range. From there, it'd take about 40 years to reach the 10 digits range. So unless the sheer number of threads causes DDO's server to crash, this Site should still be able to survive for a good while.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2018 5:21:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2018 5:04:31 PM, Eye_of_the_Needle wrote:
I can't believe it has come to this.

Maybe, just maybe, it won't be. The spam actually appears to be receding in some forums, no doubt thanks to Airmax. What remains to be seen is whether it'll get worse again, and, if so, to what degree.

For the time being, this thread can and should be used to post links for new threads belonging to forums that've been completely overrun, so that they can be found by users who come here.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Vaarka
Posts: 13,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2018 6:45:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2018 4:40:42 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
You know one thing that hasn't been taken over by the spammers? Our profile pages. You know another thing that hasn't been (for the most part)? Threads created by people who aren't spammers.
This thread may function as the "Spambook" thread. If the worst happens and the spam makes it impossible for any one thread to remain on the top page of the forums for any reasonable length of time, here's how it'll work:

1. I'll send to your profile a link to this thread
2. On this thread will be posted a link to every new thread created by non-spam users. Since I couldn't possibly keep up with all that, it'd be the responsibility of the thread's creator to post the link here.
3. People regularly check out the Spambook to check out the latest activity on this Site. Effectively, this thread would function as the entirety of the forums. We could also post the links to old threads of significance to the history of this Site, for obvious archiving purposes. So as long as the forums are technically still working, this idea should be feasible. If new non-spam users join, I or someone else can friend them and then send a link to their profile so they can find this page.

This thread can also be used to post debates, for purposes of finding an opponent and judges/people to view it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea, just gotta get Max to sticky it
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2018 4:27:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Posting this here so people might be able to find the thread if the Entertainment Forum's overrun soon.

7/25/2018 <REVIEW: Arrow>
http://www.debate.org...
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2018 7:57:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Because the Politics Forum has been overrun by the spammers:

7/10/2018 <Unpopular Political Opinions>
http://www.debate.org...
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 2:49:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/30/2018 4:40:42 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
I support an entire movement to debate island for the community and will also support using both sites at once entirely.

I do not work for debate island but I have bonded with the admin there as well as whiteflame (who is highly regarded both there and here and has helped the admin along with me to make good voting moderation among other things).

I do not earn direct money from debate island's success but it is not true that I am not emotionally invested in it and that I do have a bias and an actual friendship of an internet-kind to the user 'aarong' who is the admin there.

I am the user 'someone234' on debate island and am well-reputed in the community as far as I can tell so if anyone is bullying you or ANYTHING like what Bench did to me back in the day among other things, let me know and I guarantee you I will get the bully dealt with within 36 hours.

Alternatively, contact 'aarong' directly but Aarong is a busy guy and I know he reads some people's PMs faster than others purely due to time constraints and reliable info from people and I'm one of those he replies to ASAP as is whiteflame (he has the same username there).

It should be noted (and admitted) that there's no 'casual' side to debate island. It doesn't have the equivalent of the 'debate.org' topic forum here but aarong is always open to suggestions and if enough people suggest things to him he literally implements it within 2 months maximum.

Aarong is less likely to be just one man, based on how he responds to be I believe it's a group of people who own the website together and the 'main guy' is named Aaron G,

Debate island is not going to run on thin air, you will get messaged asking how you're doing and if you want to sign up to premium membership but Aarong does take 'no' for an answer but if you're too rude he may stop asking you for ideas altogether and I learned early on that politeness goes VERY far with him and rudeness sets you VERY far back.

DI is literally everything DDO used to be AND MORE. It's very very serious about debating and nothing like the troll-fest createdebate is.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 2:52:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 2:49:33 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:
At 6/30/2018 4:40:42 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
I support an entire movement to debate island for the community and will also support using both sites at once entirely.

I do not work for debate island but I have bonded with the admin there as well as whiteflame (who is highly regarded both there and here and has helped the admin along with me to make good voting moderation among other things).

I do not earn direct money from debate island's success but it is not true that I am not emotionally invested in it and that I do have a bias and an actual friendship of an internet-kind to the user 'aarong' who is the admin there.

I am the user 'someone234' on debate island and am well-reputed in the community as far as I can tell so if anyone is bullying you or ANYTHING like what Bench did to me back in the day among other things, let me know and I guarantee you I will get the bully dealt with within 36 hours.

Alternatively, contact 'aarong' directly but Aarong is a busy guy and I know he reads some people's PMs faster than others purely due to time constraints and reliable info from people and I'm one of those he replies to ASAP as is whiteflame (he has the same username there).

It should be noted (and admitted) that there's no 'casual' side to debate island. It doesn't have the equivalent of the 'debate.org' topic forum here but aarong is always open to suggestions and if enough people suggest things to him he literally implements it within 2 months maximum.

Aarong is less likely to be just one man, based on how he responds to be I believe it's a group of people who own the website together and the 'main guy' is named Aaron G,

Debate island is not going to run on thin air, you will get messaged asking how you're doing and if you want to sign up to premium membership but Aarong does take 'no' for an answer but if you're too rude he may stop asking you for ideas altogether and I learned early on that politeness goes VERY far with him and rudeness sets you VERY far back.

That, uh, sounds kind of like a cult.

DI is literally everything DDO used to be AND MORE. It's very very serious about debating and nothing like the troll-fest createdebate is.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 2:58:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 2:52:40 PM, Swagnarok wrote:
At 8/4/2018 2:49:33 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:
At 6/30/2018 4:40:42 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
I support an entire movement to debate island for the community and will also support using both sites at once entirely.

I do not work for debate island but I have bonded with the admin there as well as whiteflame (who is highly regarded both there and here and has helped the admin along with me to make good voting moderation among other things).

I do not earn direct money from debate island's success but it is not true that I am not emotionally invested in it and that I do have a bias and an actual friendship of an internet-kind to the user 'aarong' who is the admin there.

I am the user 'someone234' on debate island and am well-reputed in the community as far as I can tell so if anyone is bullying you or ANYTHING like what Bench did to me back in the day among other things, let me know and I guarantee you I will get the bully dealt with within 36 hours.

Alternatively, contact 'aarong' directly but Aarong is a busy guy and I know he reads some people's PMs faster than others purely due to time constraints and reliable info from people and I'm one of those he replies to ASAP as is whiteflame (he has the same username there).

It should be noted (and admitted) that there's no 'casual' side to debate island. It doesn't have the equivalent of the 'debate.org' topic forum here but aarong is always open to suggestions and if enough people suggest things to him he literally implements it within 2 months maximum.

Aarong is less likely to be just one man, based on how he responds to be I believe it's a group of people who own the website together and the 'main guy' is named Aaron G,

Debate island is not going to run on thin air, you will get messaged asking how you're doing and if you want to sign up to premium membership but Aarong does take 'no' for an answer but if you're too rude he may stop asking you for ideas altogether and I learned early on that politeness goes VERY far with him and rudeness sets you VERY far back.

That, uh, sounds kind of like a cult.
You can use it entirely as a free user as in there's nothing physically you can't do as a free user that a paid user can. It's opt-in only. There's people as young as 13 on the site, they blatantly cant pay. It's child-friendly 100%.

DI is literally everything DDO used to be AND MORE. It's very very serious about debating and nothing like the troll-fest createdebate is.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 3:48:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 3:37:26 PM, Swagnarok wrote:
8/1/2018 <One Final Act for DDO>
http://www.debate.org...

7/30/2018 A Tribute to DDO
http://www.debate.org...

8/1/2018 <The Great Exodus>
http://www.debate.org...

7/30/2018 <In Memory of Lannan>
http://www.debate.org...

Why is Lannan the same thing as the Exodus thread?
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.