Jump to topic:

Where to Exodus

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 2:14:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Although many called it earlier, years ago, the site is dying. I like the community a lot, that's why I continue to visit DDO. When DDO dies, the individuals of the community will go their separate ways (which has exponentially occurred the last few years), never to come together as a community again. The only solution to this is to exodus to the same place.

The only feasible location is Edeb8. The other two I can think of--createdebate and debateisland-- are absolute sh!t and would never work. Yet, even though Edeb8 is the most feasible option, I could never imagine the community reconvening there.

Therefore the only solution, as I see it, is for a respected and well-known DDO member to create a website extremely similar to DDO that we can all reconvene at. Someone who knows stuff about web development. I don't know who has those two qualifications, but a bunch of cool people made sites for polls and stuff for past DDO presidential elections.

I feel that if enough major members of the community agreed to the exodus, the majority of the community would move as well.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 2:16:38 AM
Out of all the forums, only the politics and religion forum are still active. If this doesn't happen, the DDO community will definitely die.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 2:37:55 AM
At 7/28/2018 2:14:54 AM, Hayd wrote:
Although many called it earlier, years ago, the site is dying. I like the community a lot, that's why I continue to visit DDO. When DDO dies, the individuals of the community will go their separate ways (which has exponentially occurred the last few years), never to come together as a community again. The only solution to this is to exodus to the same place.

The only feasible location is Edeb8. The other two I can think of--createdebate and debateisland-- are absolute sh!t and would never work. Yet, even though Edeb8 is the most feasible option, I could never imagine the community reconvening there.

Therefore the only solution, as I see it, is for a respected and well-known DDO member to create a website extremely similar to DDO that we can all reconvene at. Someone who knows stuff about web development. I don't know who has those two qualifications, but a bunch of cool people made sites for polls and stuff for past DDO presidential elections.

I feel that if enough major members of the community agreed to the exodus, the majority of the community would move as well.

Debate island is better than edeb8.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 2:47:42 AM

TUF: Looking at you.
SteelPelican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 3:43:56 AM
What do you guys think about this new debate site popping up called "civid"? I don't think it is currently that different from DebateIsland and the like, but it is still in Alpha phase. Perhaps we can mold it into a more DDO-esque platform.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 9:16:57 AM
At 7/28/2018 3:43:56 AM, SteelPelican wrote:
What do you guys think about this new debate site popping up called "civid"? I don't think it is currently that different from DebateIsland and the like, but it is still in Alpha phase. Perhaps we can mold it into a more DDO-esque platform.

What exactly is wrong with Debate Island?

Anonymous
7/28/2018 1:10:48 PM
At 7/28/2018 9:16:57 AM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

Everything
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 4:39:54 PM

The main issue is that most of the 'major members' who are almost universally recognized by everyone on the site have already moved on..... Major members started leaving when debates started getting glitched and when Juggle showed they no longer cared about the site, others left when they started getting bored. Whats worse is that the major members who moved on didn't necessarily go to a different site and start again, they just moved on with their lives and focused their attention elsewhere.

I think the only person with enough clout/reputation to convince people to follow them to a new site would be Airmax himself..... Its one thing if a member or a group of members with a long history on the site tried to lead an exodus, but a mod/admin who is the only reason the site hasn't sunken completely deciding to move on would definitely get people's attention.
DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

12/14/14 to 1/1/15 = VP of DDO
8/4/18 to 8/6/18 = Start of the Worst Spam Attack in DDO History (61 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 37 seconds... Estimated 63,175 Spam Posts during the main attack)

Be Today's Hero and Tomorrow's Hero
The trash from yesterday will still be trash from every day onwards
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 7:03:41 PM
At 7/28/2018 4:39:54 PM, imabench wrote:

The main issue is that most of the 'major members' who are almost universally recognized by everyone on the site have already moved on..... Major members started leaving when debates started getting glitched and when Juggle showed they no longer cared about the site, others left when they started getting bored. Whats worse is that the major members who moved on didn't necessarily go to a different site and start again, they just moved on with their lives and focused their attention elsewhere.

I think the only person with enough clout/reputation to convince people to follow them to a new site would be Airmax himself..... Its one thing if a member or a group of members with a long history on the site tried to lead an exodus, but a mod/admin who is the only reason the site hasn't sunken completely deciding to move on would definitely get people's attention.

Id agree with this. It would be cool if airmax shared his thoughts in this thread
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 7:37:41 PM
At 7/28/2018 1:10:48 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 7/28/2018 9:16:57 AM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

Everything

Thanks for clarifying the ignorance that's going into the advocacy of civid or edeb8 over DI.

Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2018 11:58:39 PM

You don't need skills to make DDO. Its simple. Time commitment requiring but simple enough.
Troll Queen Of DDO

#BetOnThett
#StandWithBossy

Bet On How Long DDO Will Last Here:
http://www.debate.org...

I hate you <3
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 12:59:07 AM

Civid
Anonymous
7/29/2018 1:20:51 AM
I just tried civid. I must say how impressed I am. There"s still a lot of work to do, but I think it"ll be a great alternative to DDO/edeb8.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 1:33:21 AM
At 7/28/2018 2:47:42 AM, YYW wrote:

TUF: Looking at you.

I am a bit out of practice, but I would be willing to do it if enough people were interested in that. It would take some time and would probably be a bit ramshackle in the beginning, I am not an expert at it, but I can set up something similar to what we had on ddofans.org
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 1:35:13 AM
At 7/29/2018 1:20:51 AM, ThinkBig wrote:
I just tried civid. I must say how impressed I am. There"s still a lot of work to do, but I think it"ll be a great alternative to DDO/edeb8.

I definitely admire whats been done with Civid, but it does lack a lot of what debate.org has, at least so far. It isn't fully unleashed yet though so there could be more stuff added later like debates. specific forums, etc. But if your looking for serious discussion on a topic, doesn't look like a bad place to go.
Anonymous
7/29/2018 1:58:24 AM
At 7/29/2018 1:35:13 AM, TUF wrote:

I definitely admire whats been done with Civid, but it does lack a lot of what debate.org has, at least so far. It isn't fully unleashed yet though so there could be more stuff added later like debates. specific forums, etc. But if your looking for serious discussion on a topic, doesn't look like a bad place to go.

Agree though this is just the alpha community. 1-1 debates are on the way
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 3:02:50 AM

Yeah, I would 100% be on board with Civid if it had DDO style forums and PMs for mafia. I already signed up, so lets see.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 10:00:06 AM
This is partly why I never did fully like the community here.

You are biased towards civid without being willing to explain why.

Unstobbaple
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 2:50:59 PM
To many of you I've advocated hoedebates.org with many beneficial features beyond the addition of hoes to debates and a subtly race adverse title [1]. Hoedebates/amazon/realwebsite.com is offering a brief free entry period where you can enroll without being charged provided you place a credit card on file. If you think about hoes or debates please join us.

[1] https://www.vanityfair.com...
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 4:28:27 PM

Debate Island has an appalling user interface, every section lists out the various debates and subjects as huge wide entries with a huge image, there is no way to get the UI to simply list all of the discussion under some heading as a simple list of lines.

Whoever "designed" the site did a pretty amateurish job and in the five weeks since I last visited it this has not changed yet it is a huge and ugly problem.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 4:32:14 PM
At 7/29/2018 3:02:50 AM, Geographia wrote:

Yeah, I would 100% be on board with Civid if it had DDO style forums and PMs for mafia. I already signed up, so lets see.

It's still largely under development. You can PM the creator for any ideas or suggestions.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 6:45:11 PM

Perhaps.
However, as time goes on, people mature. This, or any debate website, is largely a time sink, and the necessary return on the time investment is not likely to be high enough to spend much, if any, time. Those who remain have a reason why they remain as active as they are.

The issue is: the newer crowd, the younger crowd, the one's with more free time, are the future of the site, and always have been, once novelty wore off. Moving everyone to a different website won't cure what ails the community by and large - as older users will generally fade away, perhaps checking in from time to time.

Chances are, you don't care about the community as a whole, nor the website, and you should focus on salvaging the relationships you actually do care about while you can for the long haul. Of course, this generally requires doxxing oneself, so it is a sad situation, indeed.

I would suggest figuring out what, exactly, you care about, and finding away to move that with those who stimulate you. If you care about debating, then moving to a debate site is needed. If sharing thoughtful thoughts, then a fake email account and existing social media platforms may suffice.
At least the noble sheep provides us warm sweaters. All your hides would provide are coward pants. - Dick Solomon

"I call albatross!" - seventhprofessor
benkolber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 8:11:30 PM
Hey Guys!

So I read you are all looking for a new home, and as you know, Civid has currently been open for less than 24 hours to Alpha members only as a test run for the website.

We want to make Civid your new home, we want to work with you and build this site in your image. You have a team behind you.

Tell me what you need, and I will make it happen.
benkolber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2018 8:12:23 PM
To all the alpha members in this forum, thank you for the kind words, Civid is truly committed to bring back online debating.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:34:01 AM
At 7/29/2018 4:32:14 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 7/29/2018 3:02:50 AM, Geographia wrote:

It's still largely under development. You can PM the creator for any ideas or suggestions.

I believe the creator said Civid will have a DDO style forum.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:48:58 AM
At 7/29/2018 8:12:23 PM, benkolber wrote:
To all the alpha members in this forum, thank you for the kind words, Civid is truly committed to bring back online debating.

How has it not already been brought back by debate island?

RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:50:03 AM
At 7/29/2018 4:28:27 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Debate Island has an appalling user interface, every section lists out the various debates and subjects as huge wide entries with a huge image, there is no way to get the UI to simply list all of the discussion under some heading as a simple list of lines.

Whoever "designed" the site did a pretty amateurish job and in the five weeks since I last visited it this has not changed yet it is a huge and ugly problem.

What's wrong with the layout? it's extremely easy to work out and frankly better than DDO's lol... You're just applying your inability to adapt to some weird hierarchical design scheme of ranking.

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 6:15:48 AM
If airmax up and went to another debate site, I'd make an account on the site he goes to. There's been no leadership with the exodus, which has meant no real organisation or destination. When given multiple options (one of which being to not choose), people generally need to be told what to do, and people are often happy to be told to do it. I'd be happy if someone important from DDO (airmax lol) up and declared an exodus. I'd be more than willing to follow.
"Your signature should not have the name of other players in the game, nor should it have the words VTL, Vote, or Unvote."
~Yraelz, 2017

Debate challenge 'Solipsism is false:' http://www.debate.org...
If God were real... http://www.debate.org...
Phenenas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 10:37:48 PM
Just added my name to Civid's mailing list. I like the site's layout, very crisp and clean. I'm excited for it to open up! If there's any one destination for our exodus, this is it.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2018 5:37:47 AM
At 7/30/2018 6:15:48 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If airmax up and went to another debate site, I'd make an account on the site he goes to. There's been no leadership with the exodus, which has meant no real organisation or destination. When given multiple options (one of which being to not choose), people generally need to be told what to do, and people are often happy to be told to do it. I'd be happy if someone important from DDO (airmax lol) up and declared an exodus. I'd be more than willing to follow.

There is nothing in it for Airmax. His experience with jiggle has probably not been positive recently. Why would he move all the whiners to a new site where they simply start whining to him about every little thing again.

Boards are built, one member at a time. You like vivid? Get your "crew" to move. You and maybe the 4 other people who are good friends. Let each of them do the same. And this is important, let each person announce his/her move here http://www.debate.org...

That will do it.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.