Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I have very sad news

YYW
Posts: 44,679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:16:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 2:15:19 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
RlP.

Rest in Peace. The above post might come across as overly insensitive to some, so I would just like to clarify now that I didn't mean to flippantly post RIP in some kind of half joking manner.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:21:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
All the best to him on his journey through this reality we call the universe but is really far more complex.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
zmikecuber
Posts: 5,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:26:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace. Amen.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:29:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
For a while I thought that he might've actually been this guy who I used to know in real life, that the name on his Facebook profile might've been some kind of fake to protect his privacy. They were both really similar in certain respects, which is why I thought that.

Of what little he told me about himself, about his life experiences, I am not sure that it would be appropriate for me to post publicly. Nonetheless, I think by now it's generally understood that Lannan had some difficult circumstances to contend with. I am not certain as to how joining the army may have affected his situation, or whatever happened in regards to this career choice. He was a talented debater and he apparently had some programming skills. However he may have died, it is clear that a lot of potential has been put to waste in his passing.

I do not believe that there is an afterlife. So if nothing else, I wish for him that he is no longer in any pain, that he no longer has any troubles.

Requiescat In Pace
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
YYW
Posts: 44,679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:33:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I knew lannan for several years. He struggled through his life. We spoke in hangouts, and via PM. He shared with me many of the things he went through at home, school, college, and beyond. He is lost before he had the opportunity to overcome the hurdles thrust upon him, any one of which were more than he deserved.

He will be missed. If not in this life, may God have mercy on him in the next.
YYW
Posts: 44,679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:42:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Lannan is not the first person I have known who took his own life, and he will likely not be the last. It is very hard for some to contemplate what it feels like to be pushed to the point where you can't take anymore. There was a part of me even years ago that wondered if, at some point, Lannan wouldn't lose that struggle. But, it was nothing more than a passing thought.

I hope no one on DDO will take their lives again. While some have in the past trivialized the struggles of some, this should be a reminder that we may not realize how our actions add to the suffering a person brought with them to their interaction with you. Some hide it well, and Lannan did. Some do not.

It is good that Lannan found some friendship here. Many of you knew him better than I. That you added value to his life is not insignificant. That we all add value to the lives of others is not insignificant either.

As we move through our lives, we have choices to make. We can chose to do the right thing, by ourselves and others around us. This tragedy is a reminder that in all moments we have, we will only have them once. Whatever good can be done in that time, do it now. After all, once it's gone that moment will never return again.
TurleDoveSammie
Posts: 439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:47:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
My heart is sinking. I cannot believe this. I used to talk to him on hangouts and through PMs. He used to tell me how he liked me but was really shy about it. He was so sweet and kind and will dearly be missed. May his legacy within DDO live on. We love you Lannan. I'll be praying for his family. RIP :'(
~Family of 4 Forever~
zmikecuber
Posts: 5,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:49:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 2:42:36 AM, YYW wrote:
Lannan is not the first person I have known who took his own life, and he will likely not be the last. It is very hard for some to contemplate what it feels like to be pushed to the point where you can't take anymore. There was a part of me even years ago that wondered if, at some point, Lannan wouldn't lose that struggle. But, it was nothing more than a passing thought.

I hope no one on DDO will take their lives again. While some have in the past trivialized the struggles of some, this should be a reminder that we may not realize how our actions add to the suffering a person brought with them to their interaction with you. Some hide it well, and Lannan did. Some do not.

It is good that Lannan found some friendship here. Many of you knew him better than I. That you added value to his life is not insignificant. That we all add value to the lives of others is not insignificant either.

As we move through our lives, we have choices to make. We can chose to do the right thing, by ourselves and others around us. This tragedy is a reminder that in all moments we have, we will only have them once. Whatever good can be done in that time, do it now. After all, once it's gone that moment will never return again.

Well said.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:55:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

Thank you for letting us know.

I hope he finds peace.
#StandWithBossy

#TheMadmanWasUnbanned
TurleDoveSammie
Posts: 439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 2:55:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 2:42:36 AM, YYW wrote:
Lannan is not the first person I have known who took his own life, and he will likely not be the last. It is very hard for some to contemplate what it feels like to be pushed to the point where you can't take anymore. There was a part of me even years ago that wondered if, at some point, Lannan wouldn't lose that struggle. But, it was nothing more than a passing thought.

I hope no one on DDO will take their lives again. While some have in the past trivialized the struggles of some, this should be a reminder that we may not realize how our actions add to the suffering a person brought with them to their interaction with you. Some hide it well, and Lannan did. Some do not.

It is good that Lannan found some friendship here. Many of you knew him better than I. That you added value to his life is not insignificant. That we all add value to the lives of others is not insignificant either.

As we move through our lives, we have choices to make. We can chose to do the right thing, by ourselves and others around us. This tragedy is a reminder that in all moments we have, we will only have them once. Whatever good can be done in that time, do it now. After all, once it's gone that moment will never return again.

I tried to do the same thing last yr while pregnant. Because i knew Lannan my outlook had changed a bit now. I guess committing suicide does in fact affect others around you. I wish i had kept in contact with him.
~Family of 4 Forever~
Subutai
Posts: 4,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:12:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well damn. Lannan was the very first person I made friends with on this site all the way back over six years ago, and we talked a good bit the first year I was here. However, over the years after that, we had, at best, sporadic interaction. I was never present in the hangouts, save a few isolated times, so I never bonded with him that way. And I guess neither of us were really that present in PMs or anything. I didn't think much of it for all this time, but, upon learning this, I do regret not talking more. I'm sure it wouldn't have changed things much, but it's the least I could have done. I didn't even know anything about what he appears to have gone through.

Rest in peace man and thanks for helping me be a part of this community.
We are not dead. We have never lived. - Varg Vikernes, "Det som en gang var"
airmax1227
Posts: 13,728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:18:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is deeply saddening to hear.

I knew Lannan pretty well, and from just talking with him briefly anyone could tell he was a well-meaning, hard working, and intelligent young man with so much potential in his future.

The world has lost one of its good guys. Rest in Peace.
Debate.org Moderator
TUF
Posts: 23,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:24:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oh no... I feel sick to my stomach... lannan was one of the most genuine people on this website. My heart has sunk... I wish I knew he was going through depression and could have reached out to him...
Rosalie
Posts: 5,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:26:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

Omg..
Just last week he was weiging heavily on my mind, so I looked him on fb and was about to message him.. But I didn't.
I'm the press conference, you're a conversation.

"I hate f@ggots"-Zaroette
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:29:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 3:26:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

Omg..
Just last week he was weiging heavily on my mind, so I looked him on fb and was about to message him.. But I didn't.

Seeing as how he passed on about 24 days ago, it honestly wouldn't have made much of a difference.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Rosalie
Posts: 5,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:36:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

How did you find this out?
I'm the press conference, you're a conversation.

"I hate f@ggots"-Zaroette
Richarda71
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:39:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 3:36:23 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

How did you find this out?

From me
Rosalie
Posts: 5,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:41:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 3:29:07 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
At 7/30/2018 3:26:53 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

Omg..
Just last week he was weiging heavily on my mind, so I looked him on fb and was about to message him.. But I didn't.

Seeing as how he passed on about 24 days ago, it honestly wouldn't have made much of a difference.

No shitt. I am just saying how it's weird that he was on my mind a lot last week.
I'm the press conference, you're a conversation.

"I hate f@ggots"-Zaroette
TurleDoveSammie
Posts: 439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:44:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 3:39:55 AM, Richarda71 wrote:
At 7/30/2018 3:36:23 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

How did you find this out?

From me

How did you find out?
~Family of 4 Forever~
Richarda71
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:47:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 3:44:10 AM, TurleDoveSammie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 3:39:55 AM, Richarda71 wrote:
At 7/30/2018 3:36:23 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

How did you find this out?

From me

How did you find out?

I looked his name up because I was curious. At first, I was in denial when I clicked on the obituary, but when it mentioned that he lived in Lindsborg, and I compared the picture to my fuzzy memories of what Lannan looked like, I knew it was him.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 3:56:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have no words... I am in shock. Lannan, I'm so sorry we weren't there for you when you needed us. I just wish you knew how much I loved you. Idk if that would've made a difference... but I hope you're okay and you rest in peace.

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Raaji'oon.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.
Deep down, we're all dumbassses who act like shittheads

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Mikal
Posts: 11,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 4:09:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is beyond saddening. I did not know him as well as others but if anything he was one of the most sincere, wear your heart in your sleeve guys I have ever met. He was most certainly sincere.

I've been to that point in my life twice , and through the grace of God or whatever forces exist in the universe somehow manage to still live through it when I shouldn't have. I managed to pull myself out once by friends in real life , and once because of what people did for me on this site. It deeply saddens me that he didn't have the same chance.

RIP. In the most respectful way possible.
TurleDoveSammie
Posts: 439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 4:29:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/30/2018 3:47:05 AM, Richarda71 wrote:
At 7/30/2018 3:44:10 AM, TurleDoveSammie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 3:39:55 AM, Richarda71 wrote:
At 7/30/2018 3:36:23 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 7/30/2018 2:12:08 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.brennanmathenafh.com...

This is a deeply sad evening. Some of you may already know about it. Some of you might not. There is no way to say this other than to simply state it.

Lannan has passed away.

While I am reluctant to speculate as to what caused his death, the family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a suicide prevention organization.

How did you find this out?

From me

How did you find out?

I looked his name up because I was curious. At first, I was in denial when I clicked on the obituary, but when it mentioned that he lived in Lindsborg, and I compared the picture to my fuzzy memories of what Lannan looked like, I knew it was him.

Well I'm glad you did.
~Family of 4 Forever~
thett3
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 5:03:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Rest In Peace...Lannan and I were never close, but throughout his time here I don"t think I ever saw him get angry at or be mean to someone. He had a big heart
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
missbailey8
Posts: 3,155
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 5:46:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is absolutely awful to hear. I can't say Lannan and I were especially close, but back when I joined, we talked a lot in hangouts. He gave me debating advice, and we talked about life when warranted. I've always been grateful for that. I've always been grateful for his presence.

We truly lost a great man. I hope he rests in peace.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.