Jump to topic:

In Memory of Lannan

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 9:34:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
After consulting with a few members, I thought it would be a nice gesture to Lannan's parents and relatives to compile a letter from everyone at DDO, with all the community who knew Lannan contributing to it.

If you have a good memory about Lannan to share, something you liked about him, or anything positive relating to him, share it here and I will put it all in a letter and try my best to get in contact with his relatives so we can send it to them.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2018 9:48:55 PM
I have known Lannan, since the very first day I joined this site, so approximately 6 years now.
Lannan had a lot of wonderful qualities, I wish I had. He had a very loving, genuine soul.
I remember being in google hangouts with him, and he was going through a lot of hard tribulations, but despite how he felt, he would always take the time to talk to others who were going through it. He always put others feelings before his. He was an amzing friend, and he was an incredibly smart debator.. He will never be forgotten.
I love you Lannan.
I'm the press conference, you're a conversation.

"I hate f@ggots"-Zaroette
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2018 12:46:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I met Lannan in 2014. Since then, I watched as he grew into an even more amazing, kind, genuine soul. In my fetus days of DDO, I remember he had offered to help teach me how to debate and play mafia, and we'd often message each other to learn more about one another. His games were always the craziest and most unique. He was the moderator for my first forum mafia game and I remember him encouraging me, like a bigger brother.

Although we were of different faiths, he was very accepting and wanted to learn more about how my mind worked. He was very open and although this is a debating site, he carried himself with such decorum and benevolence. He was a great debater and an even better friend. When times got tough, he always reminded me that I had a family on DDO and that I wasn't alone.

I remember the many hangouts that we'd laze in and just talk. About anything. The world. DDO. Economics. He had big dreams and I knew he'd achieve them all. He was persistent and dedicated- once he set his mind to something, there was no stopping him from achieving his goal.

He was so sweet. I remember for Christmas a couple years ago, he recorded himself singing a song for me. I've tried to find the link again but it no longer works. I remember it was one of the most adorable things I'd ever heard.

Lannan was an incredibly caring person and I'm so lucky to have been blessed to have him be a part of my life. I will miss him so much. I hope he finds peace and is happy where ever he is now.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.
Deep down, we're all dumbassses who act like shittheads

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
TurleDoveSammie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2018 3:06:04 AM
I met Lannan 6 yrs ago here on DDO. I was his secret crush which was so so cute. He was so sweet and always willing to lend am ear and be there for others. My goodness was he smart tho. I wish i had his brain Thats how smart he was. I still never forget our PMs and the times we used to be on hangouts with everyone else and every now and then alone. I remember meeting his inmates (i think is what you call it) from his destination in the military. They all were so fond of Lannan, why because he had such a pure soul and love for others. He always tried to do anything to get others to smile. I will miss everything about him even his crush he had on me. It was just the most affordable thing ever. With much love always and forever, Marie - GCL <3
~Family of 4 Forever~
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2018 8:07:14 PM
At 7/30/2018 9:34:02 PM, Objectivity wrote:
After consulting with a few members, I thought it would be a nice gesture to Lannan's parents and relatives to compile a letter from everyone at DDO, with all the community who knew Lannan contributing to it.

If you have a good memory about Lannan to share, something you liked about him, or anything positive relating to him, share it here and I will put it all in a letter and try my best to get in contact with his relatives so we can send it to them.

He likes sports.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2018 9:25:27 PM
Lannan was everything that most right-wing people claim to be without being the things they deny that they are.

He was honest, hard-working, religiously devout and extremely disciplined in his discourse with others and his own ethos as a debater and site-user.

He was unnaturally trustworthy and intensely pure in all senses of the word.

Anyone who was a true OG of DDO will miss Lannan. I can totally see newer members not knowing him too well or missing him.

This is because Lannan was never a seeker of fame and while amicable to all newer members, never was the type to say 'hi, look at me' and perhaps his humility was part of why he ended up feeling unworthy to remain on this Earth in his current form (assuming all he believed to be true, it merely would be passing on).

I wish him the best in the afterlife and I know, for a fact, that in any religion worth its salt he's in the heaven/nirvana and not the hell. He was a good guy, of that there is no doubt but whether he was for this world or not is up for debate...

I feel like Lannan didn't enjoy humans all that much and I don't know if it's rude to say that. I think he saw things in us that were very dark, unforgivable and everything he would work his level best to eliminate from himself. He saw lying, bullying, arrogance and/or ignorance all around him and loathed at the very least these four things in people. I know because of some deep 1 on 1 chats I'd have with him back when I regularly attended the hangouts and others had left the room.

I don't for a single second see him as a coward and I know that if he truly did commit suicide (since there's no details, I don't 100% know either way if it could have been accidental or not) that he did so out of a genuine, deep loathing of people and not simply out of the inability to cope. You can tell me I am wrong, you can tell me I knew nothing of him but I truly think that Mr. Lannan saw things in others that we've all grown to just accept as we exit childhood and develop into adults whereas he refused to like that in the rest of us. He was a great human being but to say he in any way liked that the rest of us weren't honest or selfless as he was is to not know Allan Lannan all that well.

I feel complete agony for him and hope that if there is an afterlife, he is absolutely enjoying it. I don't care if what I said here is too harsh or even if people will tell me it's untrue. I knew Lannan on a deep emotional level and across many accounts chatted to him on PM to keep in touch over the years. He never snitched on me to airmax and never spoke rude or unfairly towards me, although at times he could be blunt. I enjoyed him very much as a human being who was allied to myself and I will miss him.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
blamonkey
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 2:31:11 AM
I distinctly remember the first time I ever joined Google Hangouts through DDO. He was the first person I ever talked to on Debate.org. We discussed so much throughout my first year on the site. There are very few people who are as kind-hearted and accepting as Lannan.

I remember asking for assistance in evaluating one of my past arguments that I wrote, and he went out of his way for an entire hour and a half providing critiques and instructional guidance that I still remember today. He introduced me to policy debate, which I hope to pursue thanks to his constant encouragement and advice. I also remember that out of everyone on the site, he was one of the only people that had a nice thing to say about virtually everyone, which includes the people he disagreed with. His activity on the site was nothing if not constructive.

Rest in Peace, Lannan. I don't know if you can read this from where you are, but this site/community misses you so very much. You're an excellent debater, and more importantly, a brilliant person.
I am Jack's forum post.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.