Total Posts:139|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Stuff and Things

#1
Add Post
Forum Moderator
 
8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Discuss stuff and things here
Zeichen
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 10:38:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If someone would like to instigate a topic on anything pertaining to "stuff and things", I would be willing to respond.
Smithereens
Posts: 8,358
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 11:16:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 10:38:53 PM, Zeichen wrote:
If someone would like to instigate a topic on anything pertaining to "stuff and things", I would be willing to respond.

Resolved: That stuff and things are not the same as things and stuff.
"Your signature should not have the name of other players in the game, nor should it have the words VTL, Vote, or Unvote."
~Yraelz, 2017

Debate challenge 'Solipsism is false:' http://www.debate.org...
If God were real... http://www.debate.org...
Zeichen
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 11:19:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 11:16:11 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:38:53 PM, Zeichen wrote:
If someone would like to instigate a topic on anything pertaining to "stuff and things", I would be willing to respond.

Resolved: That stuff and things are not the same as things and stuff.

What is your premise for this?
Smithereens
Posts: 8,358
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 11:22:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 11:19:20 PM, Zeichen wrote:
At 8/4/2018 11:16:11 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:38:53 PM, Zeichen wrote:
If someone would like to instigate a topic on anything pertaining to "stuff and things", I would be willing to respond.

Resolved: That stuff and things are not the same as things and stuff.

What is your premise for this?

I affirm with the claim that stuff and things are stuff and things only insofar as stuff and things are stuff and things. This is because stuff and things are defined as stuff and things, and only stuff and things, thus precluding the potential for stuff and things to be things and stuff.
"Your signature should not have the name of other players in the game, nor should it have the words VTL, Vote, or Unvote."
~Yraelz, 2017

Debate challenge 'Solipsism is false:' http://www.debate.org...
If God were real... http://www.debate.org...
Zeichen
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 11:53:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 11:22:53 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 8/4/2018 11:19:20 PM, Zeichen wrote:
At 8/4/2018 11:16:11 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:38:53 PM, Zeichen wrote:
If someone would like to instigate a topic on anything pertaining to "stuff and things", I would be willing to respond.

Resolved: That stuff and things are not the same as things and stuff.

What is your premise for this?

I affirm with the claim that stuff and things are stuff and things only insofar as stuff and things are stuff and things. This is because stuff and things are defined as stuff and things, and only stuff and things, thus precluding the potential for stuff and things to be things and stuff.

My counterclaim is that stuff and things are things and stuff. For example, stuff = stuff, and things = things. The conclusion from this is that there is no difference between stuff and things, or things and stuff. Stuff is stuff, and things are things.

I will concede that "stuff and things" is the more grammatically correct phrase, but this does not negate that they essentially have same meaning.

Citations

[1.] https://giphy.com...
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 2:28:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Do you represent Juggle Corporation?
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Leaning
Posts: 2,554
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 1:06:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I 'might' like this thing of additional sticky threads. Though I am not sure I would be all that fond of it if we weren't experiencing so much spam. I do appreciate it currently though, like finding a nice looking lifeboat on a ship in the middle of a storm. Or something.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,636
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 1:48:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 1:06:34 PM, Leaning wrote:

like finding a nice looking lifeboat on a ship in the middle of a storm. Or something.

Its like if Rose actually let Jack onto the floating wood that had plenty of space for both :O
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
ThinkBig
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whiteflame
Posts: 1,385
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.
thett3
Posts: 15,379
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 6:51:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

so we're boned right?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ThinkBig
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 6:51:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

....which is why more hands on deck to help clean up the spam would be a good thing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ThinkBig
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 7:17:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ugh spam post coming in every minute. They should rename the site spam.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zeichen
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 7:34:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:51:22 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

....which is why more hands on deck to help clean up the spam would be a good thing

At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote

no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that.

Read it again.
YYW
Posts: 44,679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 8:18:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:51:22 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

....which is why more hands on deck to help clean up the spam would be a good thing

This isn't about moderators, who do not have the ability to modify the site's design and internal working. This is about Juggle, and the fact that they fail to install capchas and post limits for unverified users.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,385
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 8:29:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:51:22 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

....which is why more hands on deck to help clean up the spam would be a good thing

Considering that Airmax is the only one with the capacity to actually address the spam (neither BOT nor I have admin privileges), that's not really possible. Even if it was, I just said that manually putting a stop to these doesn't appear to be possible. Adding more people to the effort can't resolve it because they can just keep making accounts.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,385
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 8:29:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:51:12 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

so we're boned right?

Sad to say, but that's up to Juggle.
thett3
Posts: 15,379
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 10:17:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 8:29:46 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:51:12 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

so we're boned right?

Sad to say, but that's up to Juggle.

thats a hard yes lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Greyparrot
Posts: 21,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 10:30:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

Why cant you just authorize all new members?
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
YYW
Posts: 44,679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 10:53:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 10:17:06 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/5/2018 8:29:46 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:51:12 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

so we're boned right?

Sad to say, but that's up to Juggle.

thats a hard yes lol

Boned? No.... we're fuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeddddddd with a giant black dildo.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,385
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 11:13:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 10:30:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

Why cant you just authorize all new members?

That"s not up to me, Airmax, or any other member. That kind of system would be an option for Juggle, but it requires them to actually do something, which they aren"t exactly known for.
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 11:45:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 2:28:05 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Do you represent Juggle Corporation?

It was 100% a Juggle employee who used that account to make this thread, that I'm certain of yes.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 11:52:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

In order to fight the bots I am aware you have enacted some force-formatting scripts in the debating section. This means if I post URLs to debates or even images (which you autoscript in a DDO-special way to appear pasted when really they are being simply intranet-linked-to via DDO image directory in your servers and that's why I need a DDO album to make an image appear...

Anyway.

In order for all that to work I need to pasted URLs.

This has not just ruined the ability to embed YouTube videos. It's made it physically impossible to have images in my debates and made a recent debate of mine about Solipsism vs Nihilism end up making my Round One look a much uglier-formatted debate that was far less visually appealing than intended as even the bullet pointing got screwed up but that's a common glitch of yours that occurs if someone reviews their bullet-point-inclusive debate more than twice except I specifically reviewed it only ones.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
thett3
Posts: 15,379
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 12:06:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 8:29:46 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:51:12 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:50:31 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/5/2018 6:27:10 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 8/4/2018 10:32:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Discuss stuff and things here

Hi. Can I be a mod to help delete the horrific spam?

Speaking as a moderator, no amount of individual moderators will solve for this. If all you did was focus on closing accounts without removing a single thread, you'd be sitting here for days just managing that. I don't know how many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of accounts these spam bots have, but there are far more than can be managed manually.

so we're boned right?

Sad to say, but that's up to Juggle.

what caused the recent change? I don't blame airmax at all if he just gave up the impossible battle, but I wanna know if that's what happened. did the spambots just increase their intensity to the point that it was too much to keep up with?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Leaning
Posts: 2,554
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 12:55:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2018 1:48:36 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 8/5/2018 1:06:34 PM, Leaning wrote:

like finding a nice looking lifeboat on a ship in the middle of a storm. Or something.

Its like if Rose actually let Jack onto the floating wood that had plenty of space for both :O

Haha, I like it.
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 1:21:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2018 12:55:44 AM, Leaning wrote:
At 8/5/2018 1:48:36 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 8/5/2018 1:06:34 PM, Leaning wrote:

like finding a nice looking lifeboat on a ship in the middle of a storm. Or something.

Its like if Rose actually let Jack onto the floating wood that had plenty of space for both :O

Haha, I like it.

Space isn't weight. It would tip over if both sat on it unless they somehow perfectly evened out the weight. I'm not saying I agree with the decision to drown Jack but it's likely the concern was the doom of the tipping of the piece of wood screwing both of them over (they can't just swim back onto it, the water was so cold it would freeze their muscles in no time).
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
Leaning
Posts: 2,554
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 1:49:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've read that there was one guy who survived a rather long time in the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Some places I've read attribute it to him managing to be so calm when he finally did enter the water (avoiding shock or something). Also they say he was the last to enter the water.
RMTheSupreme
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 1:51:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2018 1:49:29 AM, Leaning wrote:
I've read that there was one guy who survived a rather long time in the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Some places I've read attribute it to him managing to be so calm when he finally did enter the water (avoiding shock or something). Also they say he was the last to enter the water.

If you honestly are using this to counter my justification for Jack's sacrifice not being a plot-hole then I'm just going to say 'good to know' and realise that it has nothing to do with the debate since that guy clearly wasn't Jack or Rose.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.