Jump to topic:

Some of the best topics you've seen?

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 9:02:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are some of the best debate topics you've seen?

These could be resolutions set at tournaments or by the NSDA, these could be topics you did on DDO, ideas you've had, interesting proposals you read about which you think would make for good debates, etc.

I'm asking for good topics from the perspective of whether you thought they were interesting, roughly balanced/equal, had argumentative ground for both Pro and Con, were deep, etc.
Just because you're magic doesn't mean you aren't real.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 9:26:34 AM
Eh, I guess I'll say debate topics that could be subjective. Leaves more wiggle room for either side. I can't recall any individual debates that I read I Really liked.
Near all the ones I voted on I voted on because they looked to 'me' simple or one side was being a troll I thought.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 11:01:19 AM
At 8/11/2018 9:02:21 AM, tejretics wrote:

These could be resolutions set at tournaments or by the NSDA, these could be topics you did on DDO, ideas you've had, interesting proposals you read about which you think would make for good debates, etc.

I'm asking for good topics from the perspective of whether you thought they were interesting, roughly balanced/equal, had argumentative ground for both Pro and Con, were deep, etc.

are you on debateart? we've kinda moved there.
"Your signature should not have the name of other players in the game, nor should it have the words VTL, Vote, or Unvote."
~Yraelz, 2017

Debate challenge 'Solipsism is false:' http://www.debate.org...
If God were real... http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 1:22:28 PM
At 8/11/2018 11:01:19 AM, Smithereens wrote:

are you on debateart?

I am. Intend to be on both debateart and DDO, remain reasonably active; will likely start being so on Edeb8 as well.

Of course, by "reasonably active," I mean my usual activity levels, which is low.

In any case, I'd appreciate an answer to the above question from you as well, thanks.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 6:17:49 PM

I keep getting two things mixed up in the process of trying to answer this: what good debate topics have I had, and what debates have I enjoyed the most? Part of the issue is that even a really good topic can lead to pretty awful debates, and I've had some pretty epic debates on topics I haven't enjoyed at all. Some of my absolute favorites, particularly in live debates, were topics where I either thought I had a side that had a distinct advantage or where I thought I was at a disadvantage but pulled out a great argument. When I remember live debates, it's chiefly for what I enjoyed, not so much for how great the topic was (though that could be part of the equation).

So, at least for the sake of addressing this solely by focusing on great topics, I'll focus on topics that I've had on this site where I can really assess them in retrospect.

U.S. militia groups pose a greater threat to our national security than do FTOs
The United States should use private military firms abroad to pursue its military objectives.

Honestly, I can't think of any topics I've enjoyed debating quite so much as these two. I'm sure part of it is that Bsh1 is a fantastic debater and I enjoy any opportunity to engage with him, but I just love how these topics are built. Neither of them require you to take an ideologically-charged position (I know that's somewhat debatable, but I personally don't think so), they both require the debaters to use arguments that go outside the basics we so often see in rounds on similar topics, and I think both are very even. There's a lot of depth to them both because there's just a tremendous amount of material on them, and there are numerous directions you could take in trying to build out arguments for each. They both just allow for a lot of creativity and even agreement between the sides, particularly on the first one.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 6:21:00 PM
At 8/11/2018 6:17:49 PM, whiteflame wrote:

I keep getting two things mixed up in the process of trying to answer this: what good debate topics have I had, and what debates have I enjoyed the most? Part of the issue is that even a really good topic can lead to pretty awful debates, and I've had some pretty epic debates on topics I haven't enjoyed at all. Some of my absolute favorites, particularly in live debates, were topics where I either thought I had a side that had a distinct advantage or where I thought I was at a disadvantage but pulled out a great argument. When I remember live debates, it's chiefly for what I enjoyed, not so much for how great the topic was (though that could be part of the equation).

So, at least for the sake of addressing this solely by focusing on great topics, I'll focus on topics that I've had on this site where I can really assess them in retrospect.

U.S. militia groups pose a greater threat to our national security than do FTOs
The United States should use private military firms abroad to pursue its military objectives.

Honestly, I can't think of any topics I've enjoyed debating quite so much as these two. I'm sure part of it is that Bsh1 is a fantastic debater and I enjoy any opportunity to engage with him, but I just love how these topics are built. Neither of them require you to take an ideologically-charged position (I know that's somewhat debatable, but I personally don't think so), they both require the debaters to use arguments that go outside the basics we so often see in rounds on similar topics, and I think both are very even. There's a lot of depth to them both because there's just a tremendous amount of material on them, and there are numerous directions you could take in trying to build out arguments for each. They both just allow for a lot of creativity and even agreement between the sides, particularly on the first one.

I've done the PMFs one before multiple times irl, but never done or seen the FTOs one aside from your debate with bsh1, sounds interesting.

Do you think the FTOs one could work in a limited prep format like BP?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 6:21:50 PM

I'd also be interested to know topics you liked outside of this site.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 7:01:11 PM
At 8/11/2018 6:21:50 PM, tejretics wrote:
I've done the PMFs one before multiple times irl, but never done or seen the FTOs one aside from your debate with bsh1, sounds interesting.
Do you think the FTOs one could work in a limited prep format like BP?

I think it could. A lot of times when a term is given that people might not know a lot about, they put up an info slide to provide some context. I think that would work in this case. You wouldn't get the depth of that debate, but a lot of the overarching points could be revisited.

I'd also be interested to know topics you liked outside of this site.

I've enjoyed a variety of topics, mostly science ones because I get to flex my muscles in that regard. I've enjoyed topics relating to geoengineering and banning of fracking, both of which I feel have their balances, though admittedly I'm biased on one end of each of those.

If I had to select topics I just thought were interesting and balanced, there was a great topic on making the Pope (the previous Pope) persona non grata in the US and other countries in order to send a clear message to the Catholic church. There was one about people seeking out plastic surgical means of making themselves look like a different race which led to one of my favorite debates of that tournament. One of my favorite rounds I've seen at any tournament was on the topic of gender neutrality in schools, which I feel has a lot of solid ground. I'd have to go back and find the specific wording of these topics to give them more of a breakdown, but these were all great topics.
blamonkey
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2018 1:28:43 AM

Although generic, debates on NAFTA in Congress debate, (part of NSDA,) the debates tend to be rather equal. Sanctions tend to have good debate in Congress as well. However, the debates typically devolve in a debate entirely about solvency on sanctions with no particular attempt to link it to the country being sanctioned at hand. Syrian Safe Zones are a good topic, as are many foreign policy topics because of the vast supply of research on both sides.

Personally, my favorite topic that I debated in my high school debate career would be one concerning either the dual-hat leadership of CYBERCOM or the Sub-minimum wage.
I am Jack's forum post.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2018 1:48:39 AM
Legalization of LSD as well as Raising the age limit for entering the military (21) were the last debates I was interested enough in reading.
DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

12/14/14 to 1/1/15 = VP of DDO
8/4/18 to 8/6/18 = Start of the Worst Spam Attack in DDO History (61 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 37 seconds... Estimated 63,175 Spam Posts during the main attack)

Be Today's Hero and Tomorrow's Hero
The trash from yesterday will still be trash from every day onwards
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2018 4:57:14 AM
At 8/11/2018 7:01:11 PM, whiteflame wrote:
There was one about people seeking out plastic surgical means of making themselves look like a different race which led to one of my favorite debates of that tournament.

Love this one.

Great debate here:
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2018 5:17:24 AM
At 8/12/2018 4:57:14 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/11/2018 7:01:11 PM, whiteflame wrote:
There was one about people seeking out plastic surgical means of making themselves look like a different race which led to one of my favorite debates of that tournament.

Love this one.

Great debate here:

Looks like it's along similar lines to what we did.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.