Jump to topic:

How do you delete debates?

Kilk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2019 9:19:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I used to be able to contact airmax to delete debates, But he doesn't seem to reply any more. Who should I contact?
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2019 5:20:41 PM
I 'think that's the only option. I suppose some of the other moderators might still be 'semi around. Blade-of-Truth had to do with voting moderation a bit, I believe.
Kilk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2019 6:28:08 PM
Leaning wrote:
I 'think that's the only option. I suppose some of the other moderators might still be 'semi around. Blade-of-Truth had to do with voting moderation a bit, I believe.

Okay. I'll give Blade-of-Truth a try. Thanks!
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2019 9:46:29 PM
I don't plan to. I made an account to ask a couple of the people there some questions, But haven't used it since.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2019 11:07:25 PM
The lack of management doesn't 'especially bother me, Though it does a bit. I'd like it if there were more people on the forums, But ah well. . . I've a year of history on this site. Rather thankful to it for being a place I've been able to express myself and get more of a slight feel of who I am and what I believe, Though it's still a bit hazy.
I also already said somewhere else I wasn't planning on leaving just because the site was broken. And I'm not 'great at changing my opinion or direction. Bother me a little bit if I acted opposite of what I said. . .
I'm also not sure 'what I'll being doing after July 2nd either. . In life I mean. Possibly somewhere still on the internet, Possibly somewhere else. Hrm.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2019 11:28:58 PM
"I've a year of history on this site. Rather thankful to it for being a place I've been able to express myself and get more of a slight feel of who I am and what I believe, Though it's still a bit hazy. "
That is all I got for debateart.

"July 2nd either. . In life I mean. Possibly somewhere still on the internet, Possibly somewhere else. Hrm. "
Don't think I will ever know what I want to do with my life. Guess I will never feel I belong somewhere apart from on the internet typing in messages, Playing video games and watching videos.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 1:52:10 AM
Perhaps. Some parts of the future can be hard to predict. I assume it's possible that you'd find a place/thing/goal/lifestyle at some point though. I 'think some other people do.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 10:51:03 AM
"I assume it's possible that you'd find a place/thing/goal/lifestyle at some point though. I 'think some other people do. "

It is not guaranteed so all you can do is assume.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 11:57:09 AM
You cannot prove it to be true or consistent with every single person.
People die young so they can't even think about that.
People are in dead-end jobs which don't give them time to search for what they want when paying for the bills.
People have general of others on their shoulders that conflicts with what they want and they are not willing to risk their current relationships to pursue something they like.

I have more but that should be enough to say not everyone find meaning in life instead can be stuck due to how position they are in life.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 1:11:30 PM
No, Not every person finds meaning in life. But the fact that some other people have it implies to me that it is possible for myself to acquire it as well.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 1:14:22 PM
You're near as bad as David Hume sometimes, Him and his thoughts on future occurrences I mean. From what (Very little) I have read about him.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 3:08:27 PM
"No, Not every person finds meaning in life. But the fact that some other people have it implies to me that it is possible for myself to acquire it as well. "
Possible is not good enough. It is like saying to a child brought up in war you can one day think about what you want to do in life. You saying it is possible is a lie to the child when the best answer is it is unlikely for you to have a happy life brought up in a war.

"You're near as bad as David Hume sometimes, Him and his thoughts on future occurrences I mean. From what (Very little) I have read about him. "
I haven't heard of him so I don't know. Should check to get a giant ego that I am talking similar to an intelligent philosopher without even knowing him.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 4:04:00 PM
I've heard that kids with abusive parents have a tendency to become abusers themselves.

But so what?

Has a person not a will of their own?
Are there not people who have risen above their past lives?
Risen above desires or weakness?

I see nothing wrong with telling a child they can be whatever they want to be, Never mind most circumstances. We don't 'know the future. Which leaves happy circumstance and effort possible.

We 'can predict the future to an extent, Which allows reasonable doubt and how we proceed. Allows us to accept when events don't go our way.

Pessimism and optimism are 'both valid choices.
But I see nothing wrong with people choosing optimism. Though I don't 'always choose it myself.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 4:38:59 PM
"I've heard that kids with abusive parents have a tendency to become abusers themselves.
But so what? "
You basically stated a statement without what ought we do about it.

"Has a person not a will of their own? "
You just said abusive children tend to have abusive parents. So basically in a sense highly unlikely to have enough will to better than how they were raised.

"Are there not people who have risen above their past lives? "
This does not happen. If this was the case why are doing we have something called the poverty cycle? It is because people are predictable and if you put them in sh*t outcomes turns out most of them can't rise above it.

"Risen above desires or weakness? "
No you can't which is why so many people are obese in the US. It is an addiction and hardly anyone is stopping them from going to those shops or making sure they are treated with their addiction to food.

"I see nothing wrong with telling a child they can be whatever they want to be, Never mind most circumstances. We don't 'know the future. Which leaves happy circumstance and effort possible. "
That is a lie. Tell that to a child brought up in a war, With a terminal illness or disabled.
Even in common examples. Not everyone can be like Lebron instead are stuck at the same height and not have the same skill to even compete against him

"We 'can predict the future to an extent, Which allows reasonable doubt and how we proceed. Allows us to accept when events don't go our way. "
Which is why people who started off with a sh*t life tend to grow up with one as well.

"But I see nothing wrong with people choosing optimism. Though I don't 'always choose it myself. "
I would love to choose it but it is not how the world works. In reality most people are a product of their environment and have to deal with the they have been given no matter how much they want to change them.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 6:13:17 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I thought the statements 'ought was apparent without myself saying it.

What does it matter if the odds are against you?
What does it matter if one isn't in the best position in life?

We do not know a certain fate beforehand. Effort. Effort if given, Can tear those odds asunder, Scatter the bad positions in life and build, Build until you rise above.

We're not dogs, Not chimps, Rats, Or plants. We're human. . . We're aware. Conscious. 'God given a greater apparent free will than any other creature on this Earth. (Though I don't believe in God, The turn of phrase fits)

It doesn't matter if a person has abusive parents. They are not doomed to a certain fate. Or at the least we are not aware of our fates. And being not aware. No reason. No reason I say! Not to fight against what we abhor. No reason not to strive for our horizons. Our world is in our hands. Our story awaiting our own pen.

People 'can rise above poverty. Why would it not happen? Look at Abraham Lincoln supposedly born in a log cabin upon the frontier. Almost literally started life poor as dirt. Chose paths in life. Became president one day. People rise all the time.

It doesn't matter if most people end up a certain way. The thinking of 'oh look most people fail, I might as well not try. . . Certainly seems more likely to put one among the never risen, Then among the risen.

Everyone is not fat in the USA. It's a choice. A decision.

Can be. Is not will be. Can be is what might be. If effort were given. If the stars align. If the right moment was found. Being in war does not have to break someone. Once wars were the daily grind of every nation upon Earth. Still people rose above.

Be a person blind or deaf. We still have options in life. Choices we could make. A deaf man composed Ode to Joy. Paintings have been done by blind men.
A terminal child or man still has choices he can make. Experiences left.

One part skill may beat ten parts effort. But what of a thousand efforts? Perhaps even with a million efforts one could not beat Lebron in a game. But what of it?

And I say, It doesn't matter if you came up in a sh*t life. In the conventional view of it, Our choices are our own. Our effort and will our own. We're not islands onto ourselves sure. But what's mine is mine.

People only a product of their environment. . . That would hardly sound like a person to me. 'To me. . That only sounds like the environment. And yet. . . I have this peculiar notion of self. Of being. Of awareness. 'Of Ego. I exist.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 6:47:41 PM
"I thought the statements 'ought was apparent without myself saying it. "
You stated a statement and didn't say what we should do about it.

"What does it matter if the odds are against you? "
A is begging for A's life. B tells A you have a 99% of dying and a 1% chance of it not happening. Is A going to live?

"What does it matter if one isn't in the best position in life? "
You have less opportunities and are forced to build yourself which results in less time for entertainment and what you actually want to do with your life. I don't think you typed in the poverty cycle. Type it in Google and click on the first image you see. It has green text boxes and a pink background.

"We're human. . . We're aware. Conscious. 'God given a greater apparent free will than any other creature on this Earth. (Though I don't believe in God, The turn of phrase fits)"
We are aware to know how f*cked someone people's lives are.

"It doesn't matter if a person has abusive parents. They are not doomed to a certain fate. "
Where is the scale tipped, On the side of him being abusive or him rising above it?

"No reason I say! Not to fight against what we abhor. No reason not to strive for our horizons. Our world is in our hands. Our story awaiting our own pen. "
I know you read a lot of books but they are not a direct representation of the real world. They are made fantastical in order to appeal to a fantasy of some sort excluding non-fiction of course. What if the pen is damaged? Doesn't have enough ink or paper to write a story?

"Look at Abraham Lincoln supposedly born in a log cabin upon the frontier. Almost literally started life poor as dirt. Chose paths in life. Became president one day. People rise all the time. "
Anecdote. You are clearly missing a ton of examples of people who are unable to get out of their position. Lincoln is one man not a representation of every single poor person's future story.

"I might as well not try. . . Certainly seems more likely to put one among the never risen, Then among the risen. "
Yeah you should not try. What is the point of you trying to survive a war scenario only to be greeted with rebuilding an entire society? Almost your entire life would be spent on rebuilding not on what you want to do with your life. Sure rebuilding can be your life but that is because of that person's outcome not because that person wanted to do it.

"Everyone is not fat in the USA. It's a choice. A decision. "
I did not say everyone but 20-30% are. No it is not their fault for parents passing down bad genetics, Giving them or not preventing the consumption of bad food and parents which did not help the child cope with obstacles without eating their sorrows.
If you expect this person to not be obese. Why are you asking more from them then a rich person who had everything? How is that fair?

"If the stars align. If the right moment was found. Being in war does not have to break someone. Once wars were the daily grind of every nation upon Earth. Still people rose above. "
Tell that to how many people died in the war and the family members weeping about it. Most wars now are avoidable but they still do it. Guess what happens? People die for war profiteers to make money from other countries resources like oil. That person who died in service can't go back to his wife/husband or child and they will have to live the rest of their life without them. Luck is for losers.

"Be a person blind or deaf. We still have options in life. "
Yes less options then a non-blind and non-deaf person. Would a blind person see the person they love? Would a deaf person hear the person they love?

"A deaf man composed Ode to Joy. Paintings have been done by blind men. "
1 example like the Lincoln is not a representation of blind people. This is one man and I am sure I can find countless examples of people not happy that they can't see any-more. Maybe they get better in the future but deep down they know they have lost something they can't get back. What is the point of them living? To be like Ode to Joy? Very unlikely to occur.

"Perhaps even with a million efforts one could not beat Lebron in a game. But what of it? "
Having genetics and a good life during your childhood gives you a much better advantage over people less privileged. That is not fair.

"Our choices are our own. "
You didn't choose to be born. You didn't choose your parents. You didn't choose to be at a disadvantage. How could you be so inconsiderate of what people go through?

"Our effort and will our own"
If you are born with something that impacts your stamina negatively. You are stuck with that and now will be able to do less with a lesser gas tank. Guess that person can tick off being a runner in the Olympics.

"People only a product of their environment. . . That would hardly sound like a person to me. "
You agree with me what your statement about abusive people. They tend to be from abusive households which mean they are the product of their environment. The product is them being abusive and the environment is the abusive parent.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 6:57:33 PM
Hmm, I'm not expecting much to change in our conversation from here on out. It seems we'll be disagreeing. . . Care to make a bet with no material wager?

We put a link to this post up in a debate as a debate.

Though, Exactly what would we say we are debating?
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 7:02:23 PM
"Care to make a bet with no material wager? "
What do you mean?

"We put a link to this post up in a debate as a debate. "
I don't know why want to put a link to this post?

"Though, Exactly what would we say we are debating? "
I guess but I dislike debating so I mainly only comment on forums or debate comments.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 7:11:55 PM
By a bet with no material wager. I mean you and I would be betting on who has made better arguments in this thread thus far. Often bets include money or some material gain. This however would be more akin to a gentleman's bet. A bet in which no money is bet; only the honor of the two parties is at stake. Though really the honor would just be a number of won debates ticked one higher.

I mean a link to this thread. Since, We've had more posts than there would be rounds in a debate made upon this site. Though maybe not so much a link as a description on how to reach this thread, Since links seem to glitch the site.

And I mean, Exactly what would you say was the meat and bones of this discussion we just had upon this thread? What was the main substance?
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 7:19:06 PM
"Though really the honor would just be a number of won debates ticked one higher. "
That is not fair. Most people are pro lifers. How do you propose to do this?

"I mean a link to this thread. "
Why a link to this thread?

"Exactly what would you say was the meat and bones of this discussion we just had upon this thread? "
A debate.

"What was the main substance? "
Pro life vs Anti-life I guess.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 7:25:05 PM
A link to this thread because we would not need to do 'another debate. We've already done one here.

We'd just be asking people to judge. Whatever they thought the argument was about, Which is a bit Life, Bit is effort justified? , Bit free will.

Eh, Even if they're biased one way or the other, Doesn't mean we're asking them to vote their personal feelings. That's what the who did you agree with before and after part is for in debates.

We'd just be asking them an impartial assessment of our arguments presented in this thread.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 7:28:29 PM
"A link to this thread because we would not need to do 'another debate. We've already done one here. "
So another forum post?

"Doesn't mean we're asking them to vote their personal feelings. That's what the who did you agree with before and after part is for in debates. "
I am going to lose because people are pro-lifers.

"We'd just be asking them an impartial assessment of our arguments presented in this thread. "
Impartiality is an ideal never really achieved.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2019 7:39:23 PM
Simply because people have opinions this is a reason to disavow all criticism from them? Ideally constructive criticism.

That judges in a debate are worthless and only ones own judgement is correct?

If you were to lose. . Would it imply slightly that your argument had some faults in it? Same as if I were to lose?

It's the entire reason I suggested it as a judged debate. Puts skin in the game. Money where the mouth is. Are you not confident that you are correct and have given valid and logical arguments on why your opinion is correct?
melcharaz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2019 5:28:25 AM
I believe its in the best interest of a person to hope for the best, Even if it seems like life is terrible and won't change, That doesn't mean it can't. Even God is an optimist in his perspective, He knows already what we will do and believes in us regardless.

Life can change in an instant. A person at my church had to get a vehicle, A job and an apartment in 3 days or he would move back to Maryland or he would be back in the drugs. Guess what, In those 3 days he got a job, A vehicle and an apartment near the church. Anything is possible!

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.