Exodus: It is time for mass blocks

Nd2400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 1:57:10 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 6/18/2018 1:18:55 AM, YYW wrote:
The News and Sports forums are, as of this writing, 100s of pages of spam deep.

Yeah this is pretty sad..... I loved that sports forums. I probably send count less hours on that page alone. And now it totally gone....

I wonder what next the main forums, the politics, the debate sections.

Why can't airmax give his power to someone else that could help beat out the spam?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 2:32:45 AM
At 6/18/2018 1:57:10 AM, Nd2400 wrote:

Yeah this is pretty sad..... I loved that sports forums. I probably send count less hours on that page alone. And now it totally gone....

Why can't airmax give his power to someone else that could help beat out the spam?

I have spent the last 2 hours, and am still currently, deleting ad spam and closing ad spam accounts. The idea that if I just spent more time on it, or just had someone else do the job and that would rectify the situation, is a complete misunderstanding of what the problem is.

These ad spammer now spend 24 hours a day spamming the site. With the time I have, I do my best to make sure the main forum, politics, religion, and the debate challenge period are ad spam free, and this alone takes a considerable amount of time.

The solution to this problem are obvious, and none of them involve "the moderator should just do his job". Instead, it requires an overhaul from the site owners to change the status quo. Things that would fix the problem include: Daily forum thread/debate creation limits, CAPTHCHA for posting, new moderation accounts being created, and several other things - none of which are under my control.

I want to be clear: The day that I stop doing this thankless work for this site, within 48 hours, this site really will be unusable. As long as the site is not completely flooded, you can be certain that I am still around...

With that said, I will, as I do every day for at least a few hours, get back to my ad spam deletion.
Debate.org Moderator
Nd2400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 2:45:49 AM
At 6/18/2018 2:32:45 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I have spent the last 2 hours, and am still currently, deleting ad spam and closing ad spam accounts. The idea that if I just spent more time on it, or just had someone else do the job and that would rectify the situation, is a complete misunderstanding of what the problem is.

These ad spammer now spend 24 hours a day spamming the site. With the time I have, I do my best to make sure the main forum, politics, religion, and the debate challenge period are ad spam free, and this alone takes a considerable amount of time.

The solution to this problem are obvious, and none of them involve "the moderator should just do his job". Instead, it requires an overhaul from the site owners to change the status quo. Things that would fix the problem include: Daily forum thread/debate creation limits, CAPTHCHA for posting, new moderation accounts being created, and several other things - none of which are under my control.

I want to be clear: The day that I stop doing this thankless work for this site, within 48 hours, this site really will be unusable. As long as the site is not completely flooded, you can be certain that I am still around...

With that said, I will, as I do every day for at least a few hours, get back to my ad spam deletion.

We'll i hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I do understand your position better now. I also want to thank you for taking the time out of your day to safe this site from total destroyed. I wish the owners of this site would talk to you and give you full control of this site. Or at least try to help out...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 2:56:31 AM
At 6/18/2018 2:45:49 AM, Nd2400 wrote:

We'll i hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I do understand your position better now. I also want to thank you for taking the time out of your day to safe this site from total destroyed. I wish the owners of this site would talk to you and give you full control of this site. Or at least try to help out...

I appreciate that, thank you.

I'm hopeful that some long term plans I have to fix things may be able to come to fruition, but after almost 7 years of doing this, I'm going to keep my optimism in check... but I'm hopeful that things can improve at some point
Debate.org Moderator
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 2:56:34 AM
Airmax1227, the corrupt admin, is here to save the day yet again. We can all thank him for not confirming my identity so I can't vote along with 70% of the site that is trying to get confirmed but instead he spends his time clearing up spam and refusing to allow others to help by giving them rights.

Thank you Airmax1227, you are the greatest.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:01:27 AM
At 6/18/2018 2:46:06 AM, YYW wrote:

Why is there this uptick in spam?

It used to be limited to occasional spam by various spammers with big bunches of Astro spam... now it's all of those with the mass spamming (one account I closed recently got up to 70K posts) of the pirate spam... The addition of the pirate spam eclipses all other spam by levels of magnitude that are hard to imagine... just to give an idea, the other spammers will, at worst, spend an hour or two pumping out maybe 100 spam threads... the pirate spammers, spam all day every day... these accounts can individually reach the 10k+ thread count before I even notice them

so why is there this uptick? I don't know... I guess the pirate spammers just discovered DDO and now there's a spampocalypse.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:02:40 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:01:27 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

It used to be limited to occasional spam by various spammers with big bunches of Astro spam... now it's all of those with the mass spamming (one account I closed recently got up to 70K posts) of the pirate spam... The addition of the pirate spam eclipses all other spam by levels of magnitude that are hard to imagine... just to give an idea, the other spammers will, at worst, spend an hour or two pumping out maybe 100 spam threads... the pirate spammers, spam all day every day... these accounts can individually reach the 10k+ thread count before I even notice them

so why is there this uptick? I don't know... I guess the pirate spammers just discovered DDO and now there's a spampocalypse.

Why can't you put in capchas? That's a pretty basic coding thing. TUF could probably do it.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:03:36 AM
At 6/18/2018 2:56:34 AM, RMTheSupreme wrote:
Airmax1227, the corrupt admin, is here to save the day yet again. We can all thank him for not confirming my identity so I can't vote along with 70% of the site that is trying to get confirmed but instead he spends his time clearing up spam and refusing to allow others to help by giving them rights.

If you sent me a request, I'm sure that it just got buried in my PMs (this is naturally a lower priority than other things)... I'll confirm your account in a moment
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:05:01 AM

done... you can vote now
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:06:15 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:02:40 AM, YYW wrote:

Why can't you put in capchas? That's a pretty basic coding thing. TUF could probably do it.

It's not about whether I could... I know I can... it's about whether Juggle will allow me to... or just do it themselves... and the answer to both is apparent given the state of things
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:08:04 AM
I should say I am slightly optimistic tonight as I discovered something that can allow me to more easily shut down these spammers... might mitigate things a bit... might not be a huge thing... but for a task that sees me spend 2 hours to remove hundreds of posts just to see 1000 appear at the same time - it's at least something to give me hope
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:08:55 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:06:15 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's not about whether I could... I know I can... it's about whether Juggle will allow me to... or just do it themselves... and the answer to both is apparent given the state of things

Why wouldn't Juggle allow you to do it? I mean I know they're an irrational, poorly managed company but implementing capchas is a pretty standard thing no matter what.

That is to say nothing about their 8 year out-of-date security certificate, among other woes.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:15:16 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:05:01 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

done... you can vote now
OH YESSSSSS YOU DID IT YOU REACTED OH YESSSSSS ty
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:17:20 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:08:55 AM, YYW wrote:

Why wouldn't Juggle allow you to do it? I mean I know they're an irrational, poorly managed company but implementing capchas is a pretty standard thing no matter what.

That is to say nothing about their 8 year out-of-date security certificate, among other woes.

just how things are I guess
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:18:48 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:17:20 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

So what you're saying is that they are so irrational that they won't even take commercially reasonable measures to preserve the value of their assets?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:20:14 AM
It was previously my understanding that Juggle was simply incapable of making reasonable decisions; not unlike a blind man stumbling through a maze in a rain storm. But this makes me more pessimistic than I have been.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:22:23 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:18:48 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/18/2018 3:17:20 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

So what you're saying is that they are so irrational that they won't even take commercially reasonable measures to preserve the value of their assets?

I'm just saying they wont give me backend access to alter the site.... as for anything else, I can not speculate about their motives.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 3:24:11 AM
At 6/18/2018 3:22:23 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
I'm just saying they wont give me backend access to alter the site.... as for anything else, I can not speculate about their motives.

You're not speculating. You've already indicated the extent of their irrationality, which is disheartening.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 4:27:51 AM
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank airmax for the work that he puts into keeping this site mostly functional.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
RapGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 5:00:22 AM
At 6/18/2018 4:27:51 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank airmax for the work that he puts into keeping this site mostly functional.

Airmax so deserves to be held dear
I just gotta say, hear hear
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 5:24:44 AM

Heh. Well, it might be a good thing because now you have countless hours freed up which you could use to increase your competence in the world toward some productive means.

Not to be discouraging DDO time or anything; patronize us moar. :-))
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 5:26:09 AM
You're still around!! ILY Max, if only for your amazing consistency. :D
Much respect.
Senpai has noticed you.
Draka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 11:45:54 AM
At 6/18/2018 5:24:44 AM, Beginner wrote:

Heh. Well, it might be a good thing because now you have countless hours freed up which you could use to increase your competence in the world toward some productive means.

Spending countless hours in the sports forum is very productive.

Not to be discouraging DDO time or anything; patronize us moar. :-))
Nd2400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 2:41:23 PM
At 6/18/2018 11:45:54 AM, Draka wrote:

This countless hours was added, through months. So, maybe i wasn't specific... Anyways why knock on something you loved?
Draka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 7:03:16 PM
At 6/18/2018 2:41:23 PM, Nd2400 wrote:
At 6/18/2018 11:45:54 AM, Draka wrote:

This countless hours was added, through months. So, maybe i wasn't specific... Anyways why knock on something you loved?

I understand.