Jump to topic:

Setting up debate or forum thread

Partinobodycular
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2017 4:07:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ideally, I would like to set up a debate in which the number of rounds is open-ended. I'm not concerned about winning, or losing, or voting, or ratings. I'd just like to have a discussion with a rationally minded individual on a topic that interests me. Starting a forum thread on the subject would be open to all manner of irrational and unwanted participants, and that's not what I'm looking for. I'm simply looking for a higher level discussion not limited to a mere 5 rounds.

Is there a way to set up an open-ended debate, or a forum thread open only to select participants?
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2017 4:11:11 PM
At 1/25/2017 4:07:25 PM, Partinobodycular wrote:
Ideally, I would like to set up a debate in which the number of rounds is open-ended. I'm not concerned about winning, or losing, or voting, or ratings. I'd just like to have a discussion with a rationally minded individual on a topic that interests me. Starting a forum thread on the subject would be open to all manner of irrational and unwanted participants, and that's not what I'm looking for. I'm simply looking for a higher level discussion not limited to a mere 5 rounds.

Is there a way to set up an open-ended debate, or a forum thread open only to select participants?

Maybe select a judge that just won't vote.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2017 7:40:20 PM
Why don't you just ask a person in a PM if they'll have a debate with you like that, then start the thread? You could ask others not to participate until the debate is over or something like that. Or you could both just agree to ignore everybody else that chimes in.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2017 2:44:31 AM
At 1/25/2017 4:07:25 PM, Partinobodycular wrote:

PM someone

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.