Schools don't teach kids to think freely

Thoguth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2016 6:28:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
To think freely, people need to know a few essentials:

1. History. Ideally the ugly version, full of all the tricks, betrayals, assassinations and other bloody conflicts

2. Science. Not "the facts that Science has revealed and how to identify which is a Scientific, a.k.a. True, fact source and which is not" but rather, "How to develop and write testable explanations for things, how to test them, and how to refine explanations based on the outcome of tests".

3. Communication. How to put words together; how to understand words someone else says. How to write a speech, a letter, a facebook post. How to structure thought in a way that helps others understand it; how to understand the thoughts of others even if they have structured it poorly.

4. Math. You need basic math to be able to do science; you also need basic math to keep from being lied to with psychological or statistical tricks.

5. Tricks. At least the very basics of how to lie convincingly to others. Not so much for the purpose of lying convincingly, as for the sake of defending against it when (not if) it happens.

6. The nature of power. Power seeks its own consolidation in comfort. It will lie, trick, or even use force if it decides that's the most consolidating, comfort-increasing option. Knowing all the above; this is kind of self-evident. But ... for some reason, most people don't get it. They're happy to believe one party's cynical, impotent lies against their own interest out of defense of the others (a common Trick, and found widespread throughout History), rather than look for solutions.

Schools aren't teaching all of this; they're not teaching it intentionally or urgently; and they few who do get it out are not teaching it well.

And this is fundamental.

If we can't think freely, we have to rely on others to think for us. If we have to rely on others to do our thinking for us, then we are mental slaves.
Dialogue is the air that clear thinking breathes.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2016 10:09:35 AM
You are mistaken in your view of what you believe is the purpose of Grade/ Primary schooling. You mention the basic teachings so I assume they are your subject.
The purpose of schools for children is not to cram knowledge into them but to teach them HOW to gain knowledge.
Children must be taught how to learn, either by rote in reading and maths to an awareness of the wider world through history.
Teaching 6yr olds to lie is redundant since they will have learned how from their parents examples.
Childrens minds can only understand a certain amount of complexity so they are taught what they need to know as they progress. More than that would be too confusing.
Thoguth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2016 4:08:23 AM
At 12/27/2016 10:09:35 AM, GrimlyF wrote:
You are mistaken in your view of what you believe is the purpose of Grade/ Primary schooling. You mention the basic teachings so I assume they are your subject.
The purpose of schools for children is not to cram knowledge into them but to teach them HOW to gain knowledge.
Children must be taught how to learn, either by rote in reading and maths to an awareness of the wider world through history.
Teaching 6yr olds to lie is redundant since they will have learned how from their parents examples.
Childrens minds can only understand a certain amount of complexity so they are taught what they need to know as they progress. More than that would be too confusing.

I wasn't referring to any particular school; but rather to the education system as a whole. There is a preponderance of college graduates that still haven't gained that essential toolkit to think like a free person.
Dialogue is the air that clear thinking breathes.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2016 4:55:11 AM
At 12/28/2016 4:08:23 AM, Thoguth wrote:

I wasn't referring to any particular school; but rather to the education system as a whole. There is a preponderance of college graduates that still haven't gained that essential toolkit to think like a free person.

You can lead a horse to water, my friend, but kids must be ridden.
Trinitypixio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2017 6:38:17 PM
At 12/27/2016 6:28:15 AM, Thoguth wrote:

1. History. Ideally the ugly version, full of all the tricks, betrayals, assassinations and other bloody conflicts

2. Science. Not "the facts that Science has revealed and how to identify which is a Scientific, a.k.a. True, fact source and which is not" but rather, "How to develop and write testable explanations for things, how to test them, and how to refine explanations based on the outcome of tests".

3. Communication. How to put words together; how to understand words someone else says. How to write a speech, a letter, a facebook post. How to structure thought in a way that helps others understand it; how to understand the thoughts of others even if they have structured it poorly.

4. Math. You need basic math to be able to do science; you also need basic math to keep from being lied to with psychological or statistical tricks.

5. Tricks. At least the very basics of how to lie convincingly to others. Not so much for the purpose of lying convincingly, as for the sake of defending against it when (not if) it happens.

6. The nature of power. Power seeks its own consolidation in comfort. It will lie, trick, or even use force if it decides that's the most consolidating, comfort-increasing option. Knowing all the above; this is kind of self-evident. But ... for some reason, most people don't get it. They're happy to believe one party's cynical, impotent lies against their own interest out of defense of the others (a common Trick, and found widespread throughout History), rather than look for solutions.

Schools aren't teaching all of this; they're not teaching it intentionally or urgently; and they few who do get it out are not teaching it well.

And this is fundamental.

If we can't think freely, we have to rely on others to think for us. If we have to rely on others to do our thinking for us, then we are mental slaves.

I think in terms of the education system not making kids think more freely I think there are with debates or looking at artists or certain events in history. Sometimes they are just not encouraged enough to exspress their opinions even on controversial topics like in class when discussing it with other and seeing different view points . At my school they did this a lot so I don't know how other schools are like. But i don't see the problem lieing with schools not teaching kids to have a free mind I think it just boils down to not enough knowledge, parenting or social envoirment.
- Trinity
jeremyrayyy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 9:49:50 AM

I think it`s nothing that bad. I mean children in schools now have more free choices than it was some years ago. Our society brings more opportunities for children these days. They can select what they really want. Home-teaching or Online education become more popular. And there is nothing bad in getting extra help from qualified writing services like https://essayvikings.com.... I suppose it`s easier to be free in a lot of spheres now and choose exactly what you want. People are trying not to judge you. And it`s a good thing I suppose.
JoeStone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2017 8:40:24 AM
At 3/22/2017 9:49:50 AM, jeremyrayyy wrote:

I think it`s nothing that bad. I mean children in schools now have more free choices than it was some years ago. Our society brings more opportunities for children these days. They can select what they really want. Home-teaching or Online education become more popular. And there is nothing bad in getting extra help from qualified writing services like https://essayvikings.com.... I suppose it`s easier to be free in a lot of spheres now and choose exactly what you want. People are trying not to judge you. And it`s a good thing I suppose.

I support you, in 2017 there are lot`s of other possibilities to learn lots of sites like
https://www.wikipedia.org... or https://essaybasics.com... can help students a lot
MadCraig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 8:20:03 AM
Nowadays children indeed have a lot of opportunities.
But in addition to all of your opinions, bear in mind that government is not interested in growing up geniuses and talents - they need more workers at plants and factories. Want to learn something unique? Better learn yourself and read a lot. And there is no sense in tons of written papers, they are not worth of sleepless night and nerves, and I do not deny the importance of homework. That's why I usually advice student learn smarter, not harder. Sometimes visit sites like https://domyhomework123.com..., simetimes forget about dull tasks, BUT don't let your brain stop working!
JaredDines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2017 6:58:45 PM
I can agree on some points you've mentioned, but I don't think that blaming government for willing to build factories & stuff is a good idea. It's vital to have those factories work & somebody has to do this job, even further, somebody want's to do it. But nobody's making you to work on those kind of things under a barrel of a gun, If you don't want to work there, just be smart enough to find another job. Btw, those service you shared with is totally worth to be included into this http://writing-services-reviews.weebly.com... top writing services list. I can manage that if you want it. Cheers.
Anonymous
5/3/2017 8:26:17 AM

And this is fundamental.

Actualy, education systems are usualy oriented to teach kids how to think freely, but there are imo 3 mistakes in most of them:

1) They are made by the political party, and so they are politicized.
2) They are usualy imported from succesful countries, instead of being made for the particularities of our society.
3) Teachers aren't given any guidance on how to apply these new education systems, and so they fail at the task. They have been taught to teach the old educations systems that are about teaching knowledge, not about helping in the personal development of students. Most countries do not upgrade their teachers properly.
Mad_G
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2018 6:04:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

Strongly agree. But sometimes the educational system wants too much from us and our kids, that's why we have to ask for homework help from services like https://flashessay.com...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2018 4:37:24 PM

And this is fundamental.

Schools are government institutions that are used to distort truth.
In other words they give you fiction as part of a social construct order.
maxtr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2018 2:58:18 PM

Schools are government institutions that are used to distort truth.
In other words they give you fiction as part of a social construct order.

It would be nice if we taught students things like the speed of light in miles per hour and not miles per second. Which is...............................670,615,200 mph
Hmm...and that the speed of the earth is..............67,061 mph
AnnabelKuper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 3:18:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Schools aren't showing the majority of this; they're not showing it purposefully or direly; and they rare sorts of people who do get it out are not training it well.
Look more here - https://phdify.com...
On the off chance that we can't think unreservedly, we need to depend on others to think for us. In the event that we need to depend on others to do our reasoning for us, at that point we are mental slaves.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.