Jump to topic:

Ready Player One - Teenage Trash?

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 4:34:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just stated Ready Player One today, I'm about a third of the way into it.

I really don't see any quality in this book.

It reads like exceptionally good 14 year old fanfiction. If my high school nephew gave me this manuscript I would be blown away, but if my 30 year old cousin gave it to me I'd advise him to work through his arrested development.

The characters are generic. Dialogue is stilted. The main character is living out a "nerdy nice guy (TM)" fantasy. World building is done by bland chunks of exposition haphazardly dropped into the story - "Mr. Gray is X. He did X. Everyone felt X. Corporation is bad. Because they are X. Ok back to the story now."

If this had been billed as a YA novel might be more forgiving, but given the press it has received I am really let down.

I am seriously underwhelmed.
We gonna pull up like the ice cream truck
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 4:48:01 AM
At 8/6/2017 4:34:49 AM, Raisor wrote:

It reads like exceptionally good 14 year old fanfiction. If my high school nephew gave me this manuscript I would be blown away, but if my 30 year old cousin gave it to me I'd advise him to work through his arrested development.

The characters are generic. Dialogue is stilted. The main character is living out a "nerdy nice guy (TM)" fantasy. World building is done by bland chunks of exposition haphazardly dropped into the story - "Mr. Gray is X. He did X. Everyone felt X. Corporation is bad. Because they are X. Ok back to the story now."

If this had been billed as a YA novel might be more forgiving, but given the press it has received I am really let down.

What is it about?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 12:04:30 AM
At 8/6/2017 4:48:01 AM, YYW wrote:

What is it about?

The premise is the mega billionaire inventor of the new internet, a fully immersive virtual reality, dies and leaves his inheritance as the prize for anyone who can solve his riddle/maze. There's also some dystopia stuff about how the real world is garbage due to global warming and the depletion of fossil fuels.

There are parts of it I don't hate but man the romance plot is so bad.

It is also being made into a movie right now.
We gonna pull up like the ice cream truck
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 8:44:50 PM
At 8/7/2017 12:04:30 AM, Raisor wrote:

What is it about?

The premise is the mega billionaire inventor of the new internet, a fully immersive virtual reality, dies and leaves his inheritance as the prize for anyone who can solve his riddle/maze. There's also some dystopia stuff about how the real world is garbage due to global warming and the depletion of fossil fuels.

That sounds unpalatable.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 11:12:18 PM
At 8/7/2017 8:44:50 PM, YYW wrote:

What is it about?

That sounds unpalatable.

Hm. Looks like you and this OP have something in common.
I'm the press conference, you're a conversation.

"I hate f@ggots"-Zaroette
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 11:35:27 PM

What is it about?

Sounds similar in plot to "The Eye of Minds".
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 11:38:48 PM
At 8/7/2017 11:12:18 PM, Rosalie wrote:

What is it about?

That sounds unpalatable.

lolwut
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 11:42:55 PM
At 8/7/2017 11:38:48 PM, YYW wrote:

What is it about?

That sounds unpalatable.

lolwut
That was in response to your last comment..

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 11:54:41 PM
At 8/7/2017 11:42:55 PM, Rosalie wrote:

What is it about?

That sounds unpalatable.

lolwut

That wasn't nice.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 11:56:03 PM
At 8/7/2017 11:54:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/7/2017 11:42:55 PM, Rosalie wrote:

What is it about?

That sounds unpalatable.

lolwut

That wasn't nice.

Yeah, I know. :)

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.