Jump to topic:

JOAT Mafia

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2017 2:17:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I'm up to mod a Mafia game soon. Although I'll probably host a pretty Classic game, I've been toying with the idea of a theme for awhile and I wanted all ya'lls input. I was wondering if it would be interesting to run a JOAT Mafia. In this game, everyone (including the mafia) would be a JOAT. Every townie/mafia may or may not have the same roles, and the roles may or may not be known to all beforehand. You could go either way. I'm sure you have some additional questions, and the answer is probably "Sure, why not." The specifications can vary by game and would be stated beforehand. There are different ways you could do it, but either way the point is everyone would be a JOAT.

So what would a game like this look like? Well you wouldn't have the aspect of pressuring for claims. However, what you would have to lie about in the day phase are your intended night actions and results. For instance, suppose FourTrouble and I are mafia together. I could say that I'm investigating him and he could say he's investigating me. We claim in the day phase that we found each other innocent. BUT. Suppose YYW investigated one of us, and he saw that one of us was guilty. Now FourTrouble and I are exposed.

Get it?

Another explanation/scenario: say everyone had 4 one-shot abilities (among town it would be doctor, watcher, tracker, vig, bodyguard, mason, cop, etc.) and among mafia it would be godfather, framer, lawyer and so forth. Now say FourTrouble and I are townie. We do investigate each other innocent and say so in the thread. Now the mafia knows that he and I both used our investigative powers, so they can rest easy knowing they won't be investigated (since they're 1-shot). Or say I did investigate FT but didn't say so in the thread. One reason someone might not say who they investigated is because they want to catch that person (and maybe implicate another) in a lie. For instance say I investigate FT and he's guilty. I say nothing. Later on he claims he investigates YYW innocent. Maybe I choose to believe YYW is guilty because I think FT is lying about his teammate (or! maybe FT is guilty but YYW is really innocent and FT just said so strategically).

Either way, like I said, there are many different variations you could run. I think ultimately any way would either be a clusterfuck and/or high strategy game. You would have to take notes for sure - notes on who claimed to do what and when (since everyone has the same role). I think it would be a combination of high analysis and logistics / probability + strategy (coordinating night actions with other players). It would be about trying to catch people in lies essentially.

Anyway, thoughts? Questions? Inevitable problems? Potential solutions? Could some version of this ever work?!
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2017 2:24:50 PM
This game is going to take role madness into a whole new level.

I like the idea, but a game like this will be difficult to balance. FT is someone who I believe is willing to check your game balance if he's not going to join your game.
Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife

Favorite Debate:
Muhammad Drawing Contest
http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2017 2:28:49 PM
Another game variation: I could say I'm investigating FourTrouble in the night. To ensure he isn't framed (since I made this publicly known that I'd be investigating him) let's say that YYW says he's going to watch FT that night.

Now someone from the mafia might role block YYW so they can kill FourTrouble. But presumably, someone from the town (say Yraelz) would say to themselves "I'm going to watch YYW tonight" in case someone kills him. But Yraelz wouldn't say so in the thread, right? Because then someone from the mafia would just block or otherwise mess with HIM. So Yraelz decides to watch YYW on the down low and so does TUF and so does bsh1. The 3 of them have this seemingly smart idea. However, someone from the mafia (say Smithers) killed YYW. Well now Yraelz sees visits from TUF, bsh1 and Smithers. They *all* claim to have been watching YYW but obviously that's a lie; one of them was the killer.

Does this make sense? Lol. It does to me. This game would be strategy as fuhhh.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2017 2:29:34 PM
I'm probably not hosting it this time unless people really want me to. But for future consideration...

We could also try a mini version of it to see if it works.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2017 2:48:54 PM
At 1/19/2017 2:29:34 PM, Danielle wrote:
I'm probably not hosting it this time unless people really want me to. But for future consideration...

We could also try a mini version of it to see if it works.

As a concept it could definitely work. I also like keeping on top of list keeping, and organization, so that aspect would be fun for me. If I got town I'd be highly worried that a team mate wouldn't use their role's properly, and I would have a hard time trusting most investigative cop results=, though the tracker/watcher stuff would be easier to verify I think. As long as there aren't any vig abilities that townies have, or if there are, there are few of them I think it could balance well. I've definitely played in crazy themes like this, and have seen some pretty thoughtful/creative ones.

At any rate, if it's a Danielle game I have no doubt it will be balanced and fun, and I'd be interested in playing at any rate.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2017 2:53:20 AM
Could be fun. If balanced. Would be very difficult to balance, though. Some JOATs would have to be stronger than others. You'd probably have to include lots of different flavors. And we'd have to really think about how many lynches each side should get. The fun aspect would be the judgment everyone has to exercise in terms of which ability to use on any given night, and the de-emphasis on getting characters/roles, which hopefully would stimulate more of a focus on smart night actions and behavioral analysis as usual.
If you'd like a vote on your debate, please send me a link. I'll do my best to offer a sufficient RFD in your favor.

Also: If you'd like to vote bomb a debate and need help crafting a sufficient RFD, let me know.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2017 2:54:37 AM
I'd be down to play if you get some good players to sign up, and you put a lot of thought into balancing it (I know you'd do this anyway, but this would need more care than usual).
If you'd like a vote on your debate, please send me a link. I'll do my best to offer a sufficient RFD in your favor.

Also: If you'd like to vote bomb a debate and need help crafting a sufficient RFD, let me know.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2017 3:45:59 AM
At 1/20/2017 2:54:37 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'd be down to play if you get some good players to sign up, and you put a lot of thought into balancing it (I know you'd do this anyway, but this would need more care than usual).

This.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2017 3:49:26 AM
I'd totally play, but it depends on when you plan on running this.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2017 4:46:39 AM
Im /in
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2017 8:20:49 AM
pre /in.

I'll confirm if I can play closer to the date.
"Your signature should not have the name of other players in the game, nor should it have the words VTL, Vote, or Unvote."
~Yraelz, 2017

Debate challenge 'Solipsism is false:' http://www.debate.org...
If God were real... http://www.debate.org...
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2017 11:35:10 AM
This sounds awesome. Nothing I'd be able to play (I'm at the "people lynch me for being confused . . . In beginners' games" skill level) but totally awesome.
"HEY GUYS I ASSOCIATE WITH GIRL!"
- Vaarka

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.