Jump to topic:

Metahistory

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:31:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have heard of a brief discussion on "metahistory," and may be concerned with more or less the microscopic particulars of history--scenarios, surveys of time periods, characterizations, etc than to discuss a general framework that seems to be included in such an overview.

Anyone care for a general introduction, as well as an ennumeration of the schools of historical thought that comprise "metahistory"?
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:58:54 PM
If I am to understand metahistory as essentially historical theory and the interpretation of history, then I would like to see this introduction you've offered up. I've read quite a bit of the Houses of History, but not finished it quite yet.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:59:57 PM
At 11/3/2012 11:58:54 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
If I am to understand metahistory as essentially historical theory and the interpretation of history, then I would like to see this introduction you've offered up. I've read quite a bit of the Houses of History, but not finished it quite yet.

Houses of History?
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:03:25 AM
At 11/3/2012 11:59:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Houses of History?

The only history and theory textbook to include accessible extracts from a wide range of historical writing. Provides a comprehensive introduction to the theorists who have most inflenced twentieth-century historians...

That ought to clear things up. The name, so far as I can tell, is figurative. A 'House' is merely a school of thought.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
malinga12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 3:29:03 AM
At 11/3/2012 11:31:40 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I have heard of a brief discussion on "metahistory," and may be concerned with more or less the microscopic particulars of history--scenarios, surveys of time periods, characterizations, etc than to discuss a general framework that seems to be included in such an overview.

Anyone care for a general introduction, as well as an ennumeration of the schools of historical thought that comprise "metahistory"?

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.