Jump to topic:

Confederate statues and flags removed

FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2017 5:45:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We are seeing a change in culture in the south as the government is starting to remove Confederate statues and flags. Pretty soon all confederate memorabilia might become illegal in the USA.

I agree with this decision as to me the Confederate flag represents slavery. Now there are many people who probably disagree with this recent move to remove all flags and statues. So give me your reasoning why it should not be removed

http://www.npr.org...
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2017 3:34:43 PM
At 5/12/2017 5:45:53 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
We are seeing a change in culture in the south as the government is starting to remove Confederate statues and flags. Pretty soon all confederate memorabilia might become illegal in the USA.

I agree with this decision as to me the Confederate flag represents slavery. Now there are many people who probably disagree with this recent move to remove all flags and statues. So give me your reasoning why it should not be removed

If we go down this road as a society, then we must also remove all memorials/monuments to Union soldiers/generals, with those pertaining to Abraham Lincoln being the sole exception.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
TheGhostOfCivilization
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2017 1:47:54 AM
Why remove them? It's history. Any reasonable person knows that we can't hide or modify history no matter how bad or how good it was because it's history. So we're all just going to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that the Civil War never happened just because some people are offended by it? How childish and overly sensitive we are as a generation. Our generation, on this issue and many more issues, needs to grow a pair and learn to cope with things that offend them and that they don't agree with. It's just part of life, you're not going to agree with everything or like everything that you see and hear but it's how the world is. The world doesn't revolve around you and neither do history textbooks, thank goodness. It would be very wise to remember our past mistakes so they will not happen again, and history is a very important part of society that must never be altered. Restricting/hiding history is tyranny and is very dangerous to our democracy as it is restricting speech and access to knowledge/information, which could lead to a slippery slope effect. Taking down those statues is doing the same thing as saying that the Civil War never happened. Yes slavery is a horrible part of American history and the Confederacy was wrong to defend it. But that's what happened, and we can't just erase history no matter who it offends or how horrible it was. The statues need to stay.
-TheGhostOfCivilization
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2017 1:05:09 PM

The statue of General Lee is being removed today in New Orleans. It's time to alter history, in 20 years there will be no mention of the Confederancy, no confederate flags, just a small mention of it in the history books about a civil war.

Germany has done the same with NAZI's, it's against the law to post any NAZI flags, signs or mention anything about NAZI Germany.

This is how we alter and change history to cover up the ugly incidents in the past. Is this right, should we and our future generations know that mankind has done these things in the past, or do we just cover it up to keep a clean image of society?
Mharman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2017 11:01:05 PM
At 5/19/2017 1:05:09 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

The statue of General Lee is being removed today in New Orleans. It's time to alter history, in 20 years there will be no mention of the Confederancy, no confederate flags, just a small mention of it in the history books about a civil war.

Germany has done the same with NAZI's, it's against the law to post any NAZI flags, signs or mention anything about NAZI Germany.

This is how we alter and change history to cover up the ugly incidents in the past. Is this right, should we and our future generations know that mankind has done these things in the past, or do we just cover it up to keep a clean image of society?

The main pillar that the Nazi's stood on was anti-semitism.

The main pillar the Confederates stood on was leaving the Union.

If you look up the meaning of the flag, you will that its meaning is not racist.
DebateArt.com is where all the users went.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2017 1:19:35 PM
At 5/20/2017 11:01:05 PM, Mharman wrote:

If you look up the meaning of the flag, you will that its meaning is not racist.

The main pillar of the Confederates leaving the Union was because the Union did not tolerate slavery. The Union won the war and 4 million slaves were freed.

The Confederate flag is history now, in 20 years this black mark will not be even discussed in society, just like the Germans do not discuss Nazi Germany.
Mharman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2017 1:21:10 PM
At 5/23/2017 1:19:35 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

The main pillar of the Confederates leaving the Union was because the Union did not tolerate slavery. The Union won the war and 4 million slaves were freed.

The Confederate flag is history now, in 20 years this black mark will not be even discussed in society, just like the Germans do not discuss Nazi Germany.

Again, the meaning of the flag is not racist.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2017 3:43:52 PM
At 5/23/2017 1:21:10 PM, Mharman wrote:

Please explain to me what the meaning of the confederate flag is? Because I already know what the meaning of the swastika is.
Mharman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2017 3:44:36 PM
At 5/23/2017 3:43:52 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

Please explain to me what the meaning of the confederate flag is? Because I already know what the meaning of the swastika is.

Go look it up.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2017 5:35:59 PM
At 5/23/2017 3:44:36 PM, Mharman wrote:
At 5/23/2017 3:43:52 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

Go look it up.

I looked it up

Among the 34 U.S. states in February 1861, seven Southern slave states individually declared their secession from the U.S. to form the Confederate States of America. War broke out in April 1861 when Confederates attacked the U.S. fortress of Fort Sumter in South Carolina. The Confederacy grew to include eleven states

The Confederacy was never diplomatically recognized by the United States government, nor was it recognized by any foreign country (although some countries such as Britain and France recognized it as a belligerent power). The states that remained loyal, including border states where slavery was legal, were known as the Union or the North. The war ended with the surrender of all the Confederate armies and the dissolution of the Confederate government in the spring of 1865.

The confederate flag was never recognized by the world, anything other then representing slavery and thuggery.

Bring the flags and statues down, The Union won as they recognized that black lives matter.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2017 10:22:34 PM

The Union didn't tolerate slavery in the confederate states. There were a handful of Union slave states as well that were not effected by the Emancipation Proclamation, nor were their slaves freed until the ratification of the 13th amendment. The war was about political power.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. " -- Abraham Lincoln
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.