Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What does it mean to be mature?

Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 4:56:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What does it look like in others, and what does it mean, internally?
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:19:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
From Wylted:

At 6/13/2017 5:04:21 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/13/2017 4:46:43 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
I should probably make this its own topic,

Some traits are not very quantifiable. As much as logical people would love them to be. I can tell forever is in her early to mid teens because of her thought processes among other hints. I can tell that you are in your early 20s as a result of how you think, and you cannot hide your thinking, when you write this much on this site.

Maturity is a reference to age, and possibly wisdom. When I was 23 I thought I could save the world, for example. It's a statement that one thinks shows how kind and giving they are, but they don't realize that it shows their arrogance and narcissism. The fact they think they are better than every great man in the past, and that they can do what Einstein, Davinci, Caesar and Jesus Christ could not do.

Maturity has to do with the underlying philosophy that guides you. A 16 year old wants to kill themselves after a break up, a 35 year old celebrates their freedom or are just non chalant about one.

The underlying thought processes of a 35 year old may be inferior or superior to a 20 year old. If an employer says your lack of maturity is a reason he does not want to promote you, be sure you point out the advantages of immaturity. Show them that optimism of a young man is often wrong, but is required to make break through a that an older person who has grown cynical cannot. Or that while an older person will conserve energy, you like the hero in Garrick's explained, do not save anything for the swim back.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:26:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Gatticus not "Garrick's".

Also, what anyone says inside a mafia game is not necessarily what they believe. Even on unrelated topics. I wrote that in a stream of consciousness, which is normal for me. So it might be an accurate reflection of my thoughts.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:28:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 5:04:21 AM, Wylted wrote:
I can tell that you are in your early 20s as a result of how you think, and you cannot hide your thinking, when you write this much on this site.
To an extent. I am 26 however.

Maturity is a reference to age, and possibly wisdom. When I was 23 I thought I could save the world, for example. It's a statement that one thinks shows how kind and giving they are, but they don't realize that it shows their arrogance and narcissism. The fact they think they are better than every great man in the past, and that they can do what Einstein, Davinci, Caesar and Jesus Christ could not do.

Maturity has to do with the underlying philosophy that guides you. A 16 year old wants to kill themselves after a break up, a 35 year old celebrates their freedom or are just non chalant about one.

The underlying thought processes of a 35 year old may be inferior or superior to a 20 year old. If an employer says your lack of maturity is a reason he does not want to promote you, be sure you point out the advantages of immaturity. Show them that optimism of a young man is often wrong, but is required to make break through a that an older person who has grown cynical cannot. Or that while an older person will conserve energy, you like the hero in Garrick's explained, do not save anything for the swim back.

So please do not let my judgements on your maturity level, be misinterpreted as thinking my maturity level is superior. It is just different.
Well, not to be combative, but the extent to which someone is able to hurt me is pretty linearly tied to the extent to which I feel they understand me. I don't have a particularly strong sense you understand me though, so I'm not too worried. I don't even think you can get as full of a sense of me as anyone who's been in a hangout with me can. Granted, the disparity in information can be compensated for with greater perception, but I don't think you're there.

To be clear, complete strangers can for sure induce psychological stress, but it's not the same. i.e., it's not the insults of strangers that hurt, it's their choice to insult., and their reactions despite my reactions.

I also am not very insecure in the typical sense... I like myself. However, I often end up with little trust in others to see me as I feel they ought to. so. I'm insecure in how I shall be received, not insecure in my identity.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:28:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 5:26:11 AM, Wylted wrote:
Gatticus not "Garrick's".

Also, what anyone says inside a mafia game is not necessarily what they believe. Even on unrelated topics. I wrote that in a stream of consciousness, which is normal for me. So it might be an accurate reflection of my thoughts.
ah, I'd intended to see that.

and good point. but to be clear you're saying that it was appropriate in this one instance?
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:40:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well, not to be combative, but the extent to which someone is able to hurt me is pretty linearly tied to the extent to which I feel they understand me. I don't have a particularly strong sense you understand me though, so I'm not too worried. I don't even think you can get as full of a sense of me as anyone who's been in a hangout with me can. Granted, the disparity in information can be compensated for with greater perception, but I don't think you're there.

Well, you would be wrong. Despite being cold, I have the combined strengths of great empathy (I cry when I see any injustice like hunger or war or just somebody falsely imprisoned for 30 minutes by mistake), combine my unusually large sense of empathy with the fact i am extremely perceptive, and it means I know people a bit more than they think I do. I feel no need to prove this to you, I am just stating a fact. If you are ever in mental distress, you should contact me first, if anyone on this site so I can help you, since I do know you better than maybe you know yourself.

To be clear, complete strangers can for sure induce psychological stress, but it's not the same. i.e., it's not the insults of strangers that hurt, it's their choice to insult., and their reactions despite my reactions.

Cool.

I also am not very insecure in the typical sense... I like myself. However, I often end up with little trust in others to see me as I feel they ought to. so. I'm insecure in how I shall be received, not insecure in my identity.

You have no control over your legacy. History's biggest villains are often portrayed as heroes, and many heroes remembered as villains. People will not perceive you as you are.

Not sure what any of that has to do with the topic of maturity though. Maybe it is because more mature people, know that they will never be loved as they want to be loved, remembered as they want to be remembered or "received as they want to be received"
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:47:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 5:40:03 AM, Wylted wrote:
Well, not to be combative, but the extent to which someone is able to hurt me is pretty linearly tied to the extent to which I feel they understand me. I don't have a particularly strong sense you understand me though, so I'm not too worried. I don't even think you can get as full of a sense of me as anyone who's been in a hangout with me can. Granted, the disparity in information can be compensated for with greater perception, but I don't think you're there.

Well, you would be wrong. Despite being cold, I have the combined strengths of great empathy (I cry when I see any injustice like hunger or war or just somebody falsely imprisoned for 30 minutes by mistake), combine my unusually large sense of empathy with the fact i am extremely perceptive, and it means I know people a bit more than they think I do. I feel no need to prove this to you, I am just stating a fact. If you are ever in mental distress, you should contact me first, if anyone on this site so I can help you, since I do know you better than maybe you know yourself.

this entire paragraph was an attempt to prove it to me lol.

I think you're just above average in your perception, and you mistake it for being akin to telepathy. I can assure you you do not know me. If I wanted to insult you I would say YYW knows me better, but...... that's so unrealistic that it would be a useless insult
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:50:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 5:28:37 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:26:11 AM, Wylted wrote:
Gatticus not "Garrick's".

Also, what anyone says inside a mafia game is not necessarily what they believe. Even on unrelated topics. I wrote that in a stream of consciousness, which is normal for me. So it might be an accurate reflection of my thoughts.
ah, I'd intended to see that.

and good point. but to be clear you're saying that it was appropriate in this one instance?

What do you mean by "it"?

I'll jump to conclusions on what I think you meant. People have both praised me for my intellectual honesty and insulted me for my lack of it on this site. The ones that insult me are more accurate. I have a high IQ and grew up around low IQ people, siblings, parents, peers. I have never trusted their thoughts on things, so I just throw immature thoughts at them, things I am proving to learn more about.

On this site, I have more respect for everyone's thoughts, but not enough where you guys rise above the level of "idiot" in my mind. So I basically am just bouncing ideals off of you guys to work out some thoughts on my own, be it political, social or philosophical. Nothing I do say or have ever said can be taken seriously on this site. You guys are a sounding board, and all of my intelligent conversations are saved for myself.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that, what I said in the mafia game, may or may not be my actual thoughts or a reflection of my beliefs. So the answer to your question above, is a firm "maybe".
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:56:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 5:47:40 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:40:03 AM, Wylted wrote:
Well, not to be combative, but the extent to which someone is able to hurt me is pretty linearly tied to the extent to which I feel they understand me. I don't have a particularly strong sense you understand me though, so I'm not too worried. I don't even think you can get as full of a sense of me as anyone who's been in a hangout with me can. Granted, the disparity in information can be compensated for with greater perception, but I don't think you're there.

Well, you would be wrong. Despite being cold, I have the combined strengths of great empathy (I cry when I see any injustice like hunger or war or just somebody falsely imprisoned for 30 minutes by mistake), combine my unusually large sense of empathy with the fact i am extremely perceptive, and it means I know people a bit more than they think I do. I feel no need to prove this to you, I am just stating a fact. If you are ever in mental distress, you should contact me first, if anyone on this site so I can help you, since I do know you better than maybe you know yourself.

this entire paragraph was an attempt to prove it to me lol.

I think you're just above average in your perception, and you mistake it for being akin to telepathy.

It is akin to telepathy.

I can assure you you do not know me. If I wanted to insult you I would say YYW knows me better, but...... that's so unrealistic that it would be a useless insult

I don't know anything about you, correct. I only know what you've intentionally revealed. I generally only read what you say in mafia games, and you are just not interesting of enough as a person that I use too much mental energy to try and know you better.

I do often say scary accurate stuff about people though, which is mostly done in PM, but some things are stated in public. Like I told Peter smith she was an only child a while back. She was insulted at me for assuming that, but later verified it was true. Some things I am good at picking up on. Your personality reveals more about you, than you may want it to.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:02:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 5:50:00 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:28:37 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:26:11 AM, Wylted wrote:
Gatticus not "Garrick's".

Also, what anyone says inside a mafia game is not necessarily what they believe. Even on unrelated topics. I wrote that in a stream of consciousness, which is normal for me. So it might be an accurate reflection of my thoughts.
ah, I'd intended to see that.

and good point. but to be clear you're saying that it was appropriate in this one instance?

What do you mean by "it"?
Since you specified "inside a mafia game" I figured that the reason such things would be "not necessarily what they believe" would directly follow from the context ("inside a mafia game").... so I took you to mean that people may be tailoring even their small talk in an attempt to project their desired effects within the game. Because of that, one should not automatically assume that your thoughts as stated in the mafia game are equivalent to your throughts in general on the topic, so copying them from the mafia game to put in here is not always a safe idea. "I wrote that in a stream of consciousness" implies that it wasn't manufactured, and would thus be an actual expression of your thoughts. Thus, appropriate to remove from the context, since the context is irrelevant.

I'll jump to conclusions on what I think you meant. People have both praised me for my intellectual honesty and insulted me for my lack of it on this site. The ones that insult me are more accurate. I have a high IQ and grew up around low IQ people, siblings, parents, peers. I have never trusted their thoughts on things, so I just throw immature thoughts at them, things I am proving to learn more about.
I don't see how this is a response to what you think I meant. Not that you've made clear what you thought I meant, anyway though.

How do you know your IQ and the IQ of those who grew up around you? High IQ = smart or high IQ = MENSA smart? Also I find that people who are smart to any degree tend to assume "above average" people are idiots, which... is not helpful or objective.

On this site, I have more respect for everyone's thoughts, but not enough where you guys rise above the level of "idiot" in my mind. So I basically am just bouncing ideals off of you guys to work out some thoughts on my own, be it political, social or philosophical. Nothing I do say or have ever said can be taken seriously on this site. You guys are a sounding board, and all of my intelligent conversations are saved for myself.
You just sound like a narcissist, so. If you were this much smarter than me I feel as though you'd be suffering such severe social deficits that you wouldn't be able to post so normally about topics concerning typical social interaction. So... I don't believe that you are so much smarter than me that I am, relative to you, an idiot. In fact I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if my IQ were higher. You're half mildly-amusing me atm and half mildly-annoying in general, but you've made me break the informal rule I have against using the phrase "my IQ," so you're edging me closer to annoyed. ;)

I think it's clear you're not dumb. But from what I've heard of your moral outlook, you're a pretty repulsive person... your lack of empathy (which is what your above words demonstrate, and your claimed propensity to tears does not) is in line with a high intelligence, but not an accurate view of others. It's in keeping in line with your repulsive outlook on others, but not in keeping with a just, charitable, balanced, moral, or true one.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that, what I said in the mafia game, may or may not be my actual thoughts or a reflection of my beliefs. So the answer to your question above, is a firm "maybe".
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:09:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 5:56:55 AM, Wylted wrote:
It is akin to telepathy.
You lack self-awareness.

I don't know anything about you, correct. I only know what you've intentionally revealed. I generally only read what you say in mafia games, and you are just not interesting of enough as a person that I use too much mental energy to try and know you better.
This is a meaningless and lazy insult. Surely someone of your intelligence and perception can do better, or no? At best all you're doing is setting yourself up to end the conversation when confronted with a challenge, easily being able to refer here and say you've "been wasting your time anyway," despite having claimed to go to bed after reading my very first post, and yet continuing to stay and read the words of someone so bland and to prove the claims you are so allegedly disinterested in defending.

I do often say scary accurate stuff about people though, which is mostly done in PM, but some things are stated in public. Like I told Peter smith she was an only child a while back. She was insulted at me for assuming that, but later verified it was true. Some things I am good at picking up on. Your personality reveals more about you, than you may want it to.
Well. It doesn't. Perhaps it reveals more than I think. However it never reveals more than I want it to. In fact, if anything, it so categorically reveals less that I seed hints near-continuously in the hopes there is someone who is picking up on things, and sees what I want to be seen through perception, not through my own insistence.

But you're no sherlock, friend.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:18:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 6:02:29 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:50:00 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:28:37 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:26:11 AM, Wylted wrote:
Gatticus not "Garrick's".

Also, what anyone says inside a mafia game is not necessarily what they believe. Even on unrelated topics. I wrote that in a stream of consciousness, which is normal for me. So it might be an accurate reflection of my thoughts.
ah, I'd intended to see that.

and good point. but to be clear you're saying that it was appropriate in this one instance?

What do you mean by "it"?
Since you specified "inside a mafia game" I figured that the reason such things would be "not necessarily what they believe" would directly follow from the context ("inside a mafia game").... so I took you to mean that people may be tailoring even their small talk in an attempt to project their desired effects within the game. Because of that, one should not automatically assume that your thoughts as stated in the mafia game are equivalent to your throughts in general on the topic, so copying them from the mafia game to put in here is not always a safe idea. "I wrote that in a stream of consciousness" implies that it wasn't manufactured, and would thus be an actual expression of your thoughts. Thus, appropriate to remove from the context, since the context is irrelevant.

Stream of consciousness could be a lie, but streams of consciousness by their very nature are things not well thought out.

I'll jump to conclusions on what I think you meant. People have both praised me for my intellectual honesty and insulted me for my lack of it on this site. The ones that insult me are more accurate. I have a high IQ and grew up around low IQ people, siblings, parents, peers. I have never trusted their thoughts on things, so I just throw immature thoughts at them, things I am proving to learn more about.
I don't see how this is a response to what you think I meant. Not that you've made clear what you thought I meant, anyway though.

How do you know your IQ and the IQ of those who grew up around you?

IQ tests were given in the schools I went to. As far as the people around me, I can tell an idiot when I see one.

High IQ = smart or high IQ = MENSA smart?

Why would I consider anyone smart who could not get into MENSA?

Also I find that people who are smart to any degree tend to assume "above average" people are idiots, which... is not helpful or objective.

They also assume they themselves are idiots when around people of similar IQs, so it evens out.

On this site, I have more respect for everyone's thoughts, but not enough where you guys rise above the level of "idiot" in my mind. So I basically am just bouncing ideals off of you guys to work out some thoughts on my own, be it political, social or philosophical. Nothing I do say or have ever said can be taken seriously on this site. You guys are a sounding board, and all of my intelligent conversations are saved for myself.

You just sound like a narcissist, so. If you were this much smarter than me

I never said I was smarter than you.

I feel as though you'd be suffering such severe social deficits that you wouldn't be able to post so normally about topics concerning typical social interaction.

Why do you assume all smart people are bad at social interactions? It isn't true. I will admit I have some social anxiety, am reserved and just plain do not like other people, but despite all that, I have no problem pretending to be an extrovert, when it is in my advantage to do so.

So... I don't believe that you are so much smarter than me that I am, relative to you,

Your own insecurity coming out. I never stated I thought I was smarter than you.

an idiot. In fact I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if my IQ were higher. You're half mildly-amusing me atm and half mildly-annoying in general, but you've made me break the informal rule I have against using the phrase "my IQ," so you're edging me closer to annoyed. ;)


I think it's clear you're not dumb. But from what I've heard of your moral outlook, you're a pretty repulsive person...

I think a lot of people agree with you there.

your lack of empathy (which is what your above words demonstrate, and your claimed propensity to tears does not) is in line with a high intelligence, but not an accurate view of others. It's in keeping in line with your repulsive outlook on others, but not in keeping with a just, charitable, balanced, moral, or true one.

One or the other buddy. Either a moral outlook is charitable and balanced, or it is true, but it's not both. I haven't displayed a lack of empathy on this thread. Hell, even being a serial killer doesn't show a lack of empathy. It might however, show a lack of sympathy.


So I guess what I am trying to say is that, what I said in the mafia game, may or may not be my actual thoughts or a reflection of my beliefs. So the answer to your question above, is a firm "maybe".
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:28:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 6:09:42 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:56:55 AM, Wylted wrote:
It is akin to telepathy.
You lack self-awareness.

I would have higher self esteem if that were true.

I don't know anything about you, correct. I only know what you've intentionally revealed. I generally only read what you say in mafia games, and you are just not interesting of enough as a person that I use too much mental energy to try and know you better.
This is a meaningless and lazy insult.

Not an insult. Having no special interest in somebody is the default. It is like saying somebody calling you normal, is insulting you.

Surely someone of your intelligence and perception can do better, or no? At best all you're doing is setting yourself up to end the conversation when confronted with a challenge, easily being able to refer here and say you've "been wasting your time anyway," despite having claimed to go to bed after reading my very first post, and yet continuing to stay and read the words of someone so bland and to prove the claims you are so allegedly disinterested in defending.

You are beginning to become less bland.

I do often say scary accurate stuff about people though, which is mostly done in PM, but some things are stated in public. Like I told Peter smith she was an only child a while back. She was insulted at me for assuming that, but later verified it was true. Some things I am good at picking up on. Your personality reveals more about you, than you may want it to.
Well. It doesn't. Perhaps it reveals more than I think. However it never reveals more than I want it to. In fact, if anything, it so categorically reveals less that I seed hints near-continuously in the hopes there is someone who is picking up on things, and sees what I want to be seen through perception, not through my own insistence.

But you're no sherlock, friend.

Sherlock was an idiot and probably falsely arrested tons of innocent people based on the ridiculous conclusions he commonly jumped to. Like seeing a long blond hair on somebody and automatically assuming they were cheating on their brunette wife.

True, I have not seen your hints about stuff and have no clue what you're referring to. Perhaps there is something special about you, that you want somebody to discover without you saying it. It would be cool if you were secretly deaf or something and hinting at it, but you aren't secretly deaf. Not unless it happened after you learned how to talk. Deaf people have a different pattern with their words.

I suspect some sort of visible handicap though, if I had to guess.
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:30:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The physical handicap is perhaps some sort of gender dysphoria. I suggest you get mental help for the gender dysphoria before you do something crazy like taking testosterone pills
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:34:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 6:18:06 AM, Wylted wrote:
Why would I consider anyone smart who could not get into MENSA?
A 1 point difference in IQ is the difference between getting accepted or rejected, but is not significant day to day. But I'm just being pedantic now.

Also I find that people who are smart to any degree tend to assume "above average" people are idiots, which... is not helpful or objective.
They also assume they themselves are idiots when around people of similar IQs, so it evens out.
Yet you don't assume you are an idiot.

You just sound like a narcissist, so. If you were this much smarter than me
I never said I was smarter than you.
Not explicitly, no. But you clearly are not assuming you are an idiot, as you yourself stated would be the case if you were around someone of similar IQ. Also you've been softcore condescending to me throughout this thread... balance of probability is that you do not consider us intellectual equals, even if you haven't explicitly stated an outlook one way or the other.

I feel as though you'd be suffering such severe social deficits that you wouldn't be able to post so normally about topics concerning typical social interaction.
Why do you assume all smart people are bad at social interactions? It isn't true.
I am assuming no such thing. I am assuming that all smart people who are so smart as to make me look stupid are very likely so suffer extreme social defects. Since you say you don't believe you are that much smarter than me, my statement wouldn't apply to you. And even if you were that much smarter than me you could be the exception. I don't think it's an immutable rule.

So... I don't believe that you are so much smarter than me that I am, relative to you,
Your own insecurity coming out. I never stated I thought I was smarter than you.
It's not insecurity. I'm not afraid of being shown up. Your lack of perceptiveness is showing. It's the perception of confidence in a wrong view that's irritating me and driving me words. Based on what you said in your last post though perhaps either my perception of your level of confidence is wrong, or maybe the view I'm inferring is not the one you're implying. I have no problem with you being smarter than me, conceptually. I find it very unlikely, and in the absence of evidence I am opposed to letting the perceived claims go unchallenged until evidenced. I try and be very intentional about not being conceited, so for the same reasons it bothers me when people misinterpret my being as conceit, it bothers me when others are boastful of things they don't possess. It would bother me if you boasted of a high IQ. It would bother me more if you boasted of a high IQ and you didn't even have one.

your lack of empathy (which is what your above words demonstrate, and your claimed propensity to tears does not) is in line with a high intelligence, but not an accurate view of others. It's in keeping in line with your repulsive outlook on others, but not in keeping with a just, charitable, balanced, moral, or true one.
One or the other buddy. Either a moral outlook is charitable and balanced, or it is true, but it's not both. Truth is balanced. If you don't think so then you're either missing some part of the truth, or your view of what constitutes balance is skewed (the more likely of the two). Besides, I did say "or," not "and."

I'd argue a charitable outlook IS a balanced / just one, precisely because it takes into account the fallability of one's own perception, and how given oneself is to so many wide-ranging biases. A charitable outlook is the most likely to result in positive outcomes and true conclusions.

I haven't displayed a lack of empathy on this thread.
Referring widely to the people in your life growing up as idiots, referring to people on DDO as mere objects on which to hone your intellect, the reluctance to acknowledge the use of anyone of lower intelligence than yourself... these things display a low level of empathy.

Hell, even being a serial killer doesn't show a lack of empathy. It might however, show a lack of sympathy.
no one was talking about serial killers.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:50:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 6:34:19 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:18:06 AM, Wylted wrote:
Why would I consider anyone smart who could not get into MENSA?
A 1 point difference in IQ is the difference between getting accepted or rejected, but is not significant day to day. But I'm just being pedantic now.

Yeah 1 point is also within the margin of error

Also I find that people who are smart to any degree tend to assume "above average" people are idiots, which... is not helpful or objective.
They also assume they themselves are idiots when around people of similar IQs, so it evens out.
Yet you don't assume you are an idiot.

If I'm having a conversation with Thett, I do.

You just sound like a narcissist, so. If you were this much smarter than me
I never said I was smarter than you.
Not explicitly, no. But you clearly are not assuming you are an idiot, as you yourself stated would be the case if you were around someone of similar IQ. Also you've been softcore condescending to me throughout this thread... balance of probability is that you do not consider us intellectual equals, even if you haven't explicitly stated an outlook one way or the other.

True, but should that not be the default belief? If Stephen Hawking walked (LOL) into a room, would he not go into the room assuming everyone in it was dumber than him? It is not always true, even for him, but since it is generally true it might be more useful to act under that assumption.

I feel as though you'd be suffering such severe social deficits that you wouldn't be able to post so normally about topics concerning typical social interaction.
Why do you assume all smart people are bad at social interactions? It isn't true.
I am assuming no such thing. I am assuming that all smart people who are so smart as to make me look stupid are very likely so suffer extreme social defects.

Do you think I made you look stupid? And no, having a any size IQ, even a DaVinci level IQ, does not mean you are socially awkward.

Since you say you don't believe you are that much smarter than me, my statement wouldn't apply to you. And even if you were that much smarter than me you could be the exception. I don't think it's an immutable rule.


So... I don't believe that you are so much smarter than me that I am, relative to you,
Your own insecurity coming out. I never stated I thought I was smarter than you.
It's not insecurity. I'm not afraid of being shown up. Your lack of perceptiveness is showing. It's the perception of confidence in a wrong view that's irritating me and driving me words. Based on what you said in your last post though perhaps either my perception of your level of confidence is wrong, or maybe the view I'm inferring is not the one you're implying.

Confidence in what? I haven't stated anything with comfidence. Even the intelligence thing I wrestle with. Sometimes I think I am a genius, other times mentally retarded, but never anything in the middle.

I have no problem with you being smarter than me, conceptually. I find it very unlikely, and in the absence of evidence I am opposed to letting the perceived claims go unchallenged until evidenced.

I let perceived claims go unchallenged all the time. I have no problem with you thinking you're smarter than me. It's cool.

I try and be very intentional about not being conceited, so for the same reasons it bothers me when people misinterpret my being as conceit, it bothers me when others are boastful of things they don't possess. It would bother me if you boasted of a high IQ. It would bother me more if you boasted of a high IQ and you didn't even have one.

A lot of idiots think they are smart. Most of them also think smart people are idiots. Who cares.

your lack of empathy (which is what your above words demonstrate, and your claimed propensity to tears does not) is in line with a high intelligence, but not an accurate view of others. It's in keeping in line with your repulsive outlook on others, but not in keeping with a just, charitable, balanced, moral, or true one.
One or the other buddy. Either a moral outlook is charitable and balanced, or it is true, but it's not both. Truth is balanced. If you don't think so then you're either missing some part of the truth, or your view of what constitutes balance is skewed (the more likely of the two). Besides, I did say "or," not "and."

I'd argue a charitable outlook IS a balanced / just one, precisely because it takes into account the fallability of one's own perception, and how given oneself is to so many wide-ranging biases. A charitable outlook is the most likely to result in positive outcomes and true conclusions.

Once I figure out how you are defining the terms, I will argue with you about it.

I haven't displayed a lack of empathy on this thread.
Referring widely to the people in your life growing up as idiots,

Just stating facts. Unpleasant facts, but facts none the less. Trust me, if my parents weren't idiots, my life would be awesome right now. My siblings have their genes, so naturally they are idiots, and I am a freak accident of nature, like Michael Phelps.

referring to people on DDO as mere objects on which to hone your intellect, the reluctance to acknowledge the use of anyone of lower intelligence than yourself... these things display a low level of empathy.

You mean sympathy.

Hell, even being a serial killer doesn't show a lack of empathy. It might however, show a lack of sympathy.

no one was talking about serial killers.

It was an example genius. How do you call yourself intelligent when you missed that was an example.
Devilry
Posts: 5,099
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 6:59:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Big penis. I'm a prime example right here.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Posts: 5,099
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:10:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 7:05:30 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:59:05 AM, Devilry wrote:
Big penis. I'm a prime example right here.

Let's see it.

Alright. Let me warm it up first, though.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:13:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 6:28:00 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:09:42 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 5:56:55 AM, Wylted wrote:
It is akin to telepathy.
You lack self-awareness.
I would have higher self esteem if that were true.
Well, if you're too self-unaware you wouldn't have an accurate picture of your self-esteem lol..... though the people who most often don't have an accurate picture of their self-esteem simply have a minimized conception of self, and so have a perfectly workable self-esteem, and instead just devote themselves, unthinking, to something like work.

But I generally hate any time mentions of self-awareness become focal points in arguments, as it simply devolves into something similar to "I used to think like you, but NOW" which is easily and pointlessly countered by the exact same sentence.

In any event............... you can have a powerful sense of others, and be able to read them well, but I would still hold you're overstating your ability by sincerely comparing it with telepathy. I can admit that I might simply be taking issue with the manner you're expressing the idea, but I think it's more than that. I have very strict standards for people of extraordinary ability... if they overstate their ability a little I feel impelled to attack the claim. Why compare an extremely strong empathic sense with telepathy when they're leagues apart? The former is impressive enough. It's insulting to exaggerate something that already outstrips anyone you're likely to be talking to.

I don't know anything about you, correct. I only know what you've intentionally revealed. I generally only read what you say in mafia games, and you are just not interesting of enough as a person that I use too much mental energy to try and know you better.
This is a meaningless and lazy insult.
Not an insult. Having no special interest in somebody is the default. It is like saying somebody calling you normal, is insulting you.
It's not the "having" that's insulting, it's the explication of it. Observing the stupidity of another is not cruel. Pointing it out to him and to all observers is. Marked difference.

You are beginning to become less bland.
That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me. :')
If I weren't so opposed to the post height gain quoting DDO members necessitates, I would consider adding it to my sig.
I may yet.

But you're no sherlock, friend.
Sherlock was an idiot and probably falsely arrested tons of innocent people based on the ridiculous conclusions he commonly jumped to. Like seeing a long blond hair on somebody and automatically assuming they were cheating on their brunette wife.
Well Sherlock was never (?) wrong. He was a fictional creation. So you're not gonna destroy him by doubting his success, as his success is whatever Doyle said it was lol.

True, I have not seen your hints about stuff and have no clue what you're referring to. Perhaps there is something special about you, that you want somebody to discover without you saying it. It would be cool if you were secretly deaf or something and hinting at it, but you aren't secretly deaf. Not unless it happened after you learned how to talk. Deaf people have a different pattern with their words.

I suspect some sort of visible handicap though, if I had to guess.
Other than my crippling ugliness, no. (joking, lest you count the joke against your estimation of my self-esteem) That would be interesting though. Join a hangout sometime.

I'm just desperate to be seen as interesting or unique while passionately opposed to being seen as desperate to be seen as interesting or unique. Really hamstrings the efficacy of the endeavor.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:13:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 6:50:50 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:34:19 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:18:06 AM, Wylted wrote:
You just sound like a narcissist, so. If you were this much smarter than me
I never said I was smarter than you.
Not explicitly, no. But you clearly are not assuming you are an idiot, as you yourself stated would be the case if you were around someone of similar IQ. Also you've been softcore condescending to me throughout this thread... balance of probability is that you do not consider us intellectual equals, even if you haven't explicitly stated an outlook one way or the other.
True, but should that not be the default belief? If Stephen Hawking walked (LOL)
I actually laughed out loud.

into a room, would he not go into the room assuming everyone in it was dumber than him? It is not always true, even for him, but since it is generally true it might be more useful to act under that assumption.
Sure. But now you've argued full circle. You question my implicit accusation that you think you're smarter than me with the reply that you never said as much. I replied that you acted as though you did, and you reply that... it was justified? Why even point out that you never said you did if you'll readily admit that you were thinking it one post later? Just being obtuse.

I am assuming no such thing. I am assuming that all smart people who are so smart as to make me look stupid are very likely so suffer extreme social defects.
Do you think I made you look stupid?
No. You're missing what I've already clearly said: I think (or, though, rather) that YOU thought I was, relative to you, "an idiot." In order for that relative evaluation to be accurate my supposition was that it would require you to, in all likelihood, suffer severe social ability penalties. You clearly don't, thus you are not so much smarter as to render me an idiot when compared to you.

And no, having a any size IQ, even a DaVinci level IQ, does not mean you are socially awkward.
One doesn't follow logically from the other, no. But it's not exactly an inductively weak argument.

Confidence in what? I haven't stated anything with confidence.
..mm.

"Just stating facts" is stating a subjective evaluation that can't realistically be tested with confidence. The sort of language you've used throughout implies your confidence in what you're saying. You see it as black and white, but it's not. You may yet be right about the view you're expressing BEING black, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any gray to begin with. Stating "black" so definitively is a statement of confidence, given the shades of grey in reality.

Even the intelligence thing I wrestle with. Sometimes I think I am a genius, other times mentally retarded, but never anything in the middle.
Then maybe I should just broaden my view of what a lack of surety looks like.

I have no problem with you being smarter than me, conceptually. I find it very unlikely, and in the absence of evidence I am opposed to letting the perceived claims go unchallenged until evidenced.

I let perceived claims go unchallenged all the time. I have no problem with you thinking you're smarter than me. It's cool.
I misspoke. I meant to say "being much smarter." I don't think I'm smarter than you. I think I'm definitively not much dumber than you.

A lot of idiots think they are smart. Most of them also think smart people are idiots. Who cares.
It's often the primary barrier in my interactions. When my intelligence is my primary trait (I'd say) and someone thinks I'm an idiot then it's hard to feel very close when intimacy is knowing, imo.

I don't have an answer for why something as common as dumb people thinking they're smart bothers me though. It doesn't in general. But something about the ones who boast in ignorance is just... proud of stupidity. It's irritating. Perhaps because I find such identity in my intelligence and self-awareness, that finding someone who is so proud of lacking both, and finds social success despite this, is... disheartening? I suppose that implies that the source of my negative feelings is a resentment of them, then. hmmmmm.

Referring widely to the people in your life growing up as idiots,
Just stating facts. Unpleasant facts, but facts none the less. Trust me, if my parents weren't idiots, my life would be awesome right now. My siblings have their genes, so naturally they are idiots, and I am a freak accident of nature, like Michael Phelps.
Well I can't argue with you about people I've never met. But I don't trust you, from the info I have from which to extrapolate...

referring to people on DDO as mere objects on which to hone your intellect, the reluctance to acknowledge the use of anyone of lower intelligence than yourself... these things display a low level of empathy.
You mean sympathy.
Only if your outlook was, in reality, justified, ought I to have meant sympathy. But I oughtn't, because it isn't.

Hell, even being a serial killer doesn't show a lack of empathy. It might however, show a lack of sympathy.
no one was talking about serial killers.
It was an example genius. How do you call yourself intelligent when you missed that was an example.
An example of what? How you're acting in this thread turned to 11 is not at all the same as being a serial killer, so what are you even comparing it to?
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:14:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 6:59:05 AM, Devilry wrote:
At 6/13/2017 4:56:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
What does it look like in others, and what does it mean, internally?
Big penis. I'm a prime example right here.
of immaturity?
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Devilry
Posts: 5,099
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:19:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 7:14:27 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:59:05 AM, Devilry wrote:
At 6/13/2017 4:56:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
What does it look like in others, and what does it mean, internally?
Big penis. I'm a prime example right here.
of immaturity?

I'll have you know that children all around look up to me. I have about a foot and a half on most of them.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:21:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 7:13:11 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/
It's not the "having" that's insulting, it's the explication of it. Observing the stupidity of another is not cruel. Pointing it out to him and to all observers is. Marked difference.

I don't tell them what I think to their face. I might need them some day, for maybe bail money or something.

You are beginning to become less bland.
That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me. :')
If I weren't so opposed to the post height gain quoting DDO members necessitates, I would consider adding it to my sig.
I may yet.

But you're no sherlock, friend.
Sherlock was an idiot and probably falsely arrested tons of innocent people based on the ridiculous conclusions he commonly jumped to. Like seeing a long blond hair on somebody and automatically assuming they were cheating on their brunette wife.
Well Sherlock was never (?) wrong. He was a fictional creation. So you're not gonna destroy him by doubting his success, as his success is whatever Doyle said it was lol.

True, I have not seen your hints about stuff and have no clue what you're referring to. Perhaps there is something special about you, that you want somebody to discover without you saying it. It would be cool if you were secretly deaf or something and hinting at it, but you aren't secretly deaf. Not unless it happened after you learned how to talk. Deaf people have a different pattern with their words.

I suspect some sort of visible handicap though, if I had to guess.
Other than my crippling ugliness, no. (joking, lest you count the joke against your estimation of my self-esteem) That would be interesting though. Join a hangout sometime.

I'm just desperate to be seen as interesting or unique while passionately opposed to being seen as desperate to be seen as interesting or unique. Really hamstrings the efficacy of the endeavor.

Okay RuPaul.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:23:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 7:19:52 AM, Devilry wrote:
At 6/13/2017 7:14:27 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:59:05 AM, Devilry wrote:
At 6/13/2017 4:56:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
What does it look like in others, and what does it mean, internally?
Big penis. I'm a prime example right here.
of immaturity?
I'll have you know that children all around look up to me. I have about a foot and a half on most of them.
That's illegal. Keep your foot and a half to yourself you pervert.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:29:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sure. But now you've argued full circle. You question my implicit accusation that you think you're smarter than me with the reply that you never said as much. I replied that you acted as though you did, and you reply that... it was justified? Why even point out that you never said you did if you'll readily admit that you were thinking it one post later? Just being obtuse.

Because there is a difference between the two things.

I am assuming no such thing. I am assuming that all smart people who are so smart as to make me look stupid are very likely so suffer extreme social defects.
Do you think I made you look stupid?
No. You're missing what I've already clearly said: I think (or, though, rather) that YOU thought I was, relative to you, "an idiot." In order for that relative evaluation to be accurate my supposition was that it would require you to, in all likelihood, suffer severe social ability penalties. You clearly don't, thus you are not so much smarter as to render me an idiot when compared to you.

I was referring to the members of DDO in general. I have been patient In the face of unrelenting stupidity.

And no, having a any size IQ, even a DaVinci level IQ, does not mean you are socially awkward.
One doesn't follow logically from the other, no. But it's not exactly an inductively weak argument.

Confidence in what? I haven't stated anything with confidence.
..mm.

"Just stating facts" is stating a subjective evaluation that can't realistically be tested with confidence. The sort of language you've used throughout implies your confidence in what you're saying. You see it as black and white, but it's not. You may yet be right about the view you're expressing BEING black, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any gray to begin with. Stating "black" so definitively is a statement of confidence, given the shades of grey in reality.

Even the intelligence thing I wrestle with. Sometimes I think I am a genius, other times mentally retarded, but never anything in the middle.
Then maybe I should just broaden my view of what a lack of surety looks like.

I have no problem with you being smarter than me, conceptually. I find it very unlikely, and in the absence of evidence I am opposed to letting the perceived claims go unchallenged until evidenced.

I let perceived claims go unchallenged all the time. I have no problem with you thinking you're smarter than me. It's cool.
I misspoke. I meant to say "being much smarter." I don't think I'm smarter than you. I think I'm definitively not much dumber than you.

A lot of idiots think they are smart. Most of them also think smart people are idiots. Who cares.
It's often the primary barrier in my interactions. When my intelligence is my primary trait (I'd say) and someone thinks I'm an idiot then it's hard to feel very close when intimacy is knowing, imo.

Being smart is lonely. Even if idiots were good at accurately assessing they are dumber than you, they would still not understand you.

I don't have an answer for why something as common as dumb people thinking they're smart bothers me though. It doesn't in general. But something about the ones who boast in ignorance is just... proud of stupidity. It's irritating. Perhaps because I find such identity in my intelligence and self-awareness, that finding someone who is so proud of lacking both, and finds social success despite this, is... disheartening? I suppose that implies that the source of my negative feelings is a resentment of them, then. hmmmmm.

Referring widely to the people in your life growing up as idiots,
Just stating facts. Unpleasant facts, but facts none the less. Trust me, if my parents weren't idiots, my life would be awesome right now. My siblings have their genes, so naturally they are idiots, and I am a freak accident of nature, like Michael Phelps.
Well I can't argue with you about people I've never met. But I don't trust you, from the info I have from which to extrapolate...

referring to people on DDO as mere objects on which to hone your intellect, the reluctance to acknowledge the use of anyone of lower intelligence than yourself... these things display a low level of empathy.
You mean sympathy.
Only if your outlook was, in reality, justified, ought I to have meant sympathy. But I oughtn't, because it isn't.

Hell, even being a serial killer doesn't show a lack of empathy. It might however, show a lack of sympathy.
no one was talking about serial killers.
It was an example genius. How do you call yourself intelligent when you missed that was an example.
An example of what? How you're acting in this thread turned to 11 is not at all the same as being a serial killer, so what are you even comparing it to?

I was trying to tell you sympathy and empathy was not the same thing, and that you are confusing the words. I am almost done talking to you. It seems you are having a few comprehension issues. Your words are imprecise, and you don't know what an example is.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:32:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sorry to jump in here guys . Just a quick post and I'll be out your way.

Tasty , Mild , Mature.
Semi-matured, Matured, Vintage..
Each indicating increasing amount of time maturing , and increased sharpness.
I prefer cheddar , thus making me semi-mature.

Thanks guys.
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:32:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 7:19:52 AM, Devilry wrote:
At 6/13/2017 7:14:27 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 6/13/2017 6:59:05 AM, Devilry wrote:
At 6/13/2017 4:56:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
What does it look like in others, and what does it mean, internally?
Big penis. I'm a prime example right here.
of immaturity?

I'll have you know that children all around look up to me. I have about a foot and a half on most of them.

So your penis is 18 inches? And did you mean "on" or in?
Wylted
Posts: 25,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 7:34:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/13/2017 7:32:04 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Sorry to jump in here guys . Just a quick post and I'll be out your way.

Tasty , Mild , Mature.
Semi-matured, Matured, Vintage..
Each indicating increasing amount of time maturing , and increased sharpness.
I prefer cheddar , thus making me semi-mature.

Thanks guys.

Chester guy myself

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.