Jump to topic:

Pride Month

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 6:48:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
June was gay pride month. I saw some posts on Facebook lamenting the fact there isn't a "straight pride" month. There was a retaliatory meme noting heterosexuals should be grateful they don't need a month to celebrate the decline of their persecution. I would agree with that. Privileged people are so clueless ;)

But honestly, gay pride used to embarrass me. For awhile I rejected the term, because I think pride should only be reserved for accomplishments (and being gay is not an accomplishment, even if I am really good at it). It was because gays are always reinforcing "we're just like everybody else," and reassuring people that we're not crazy or foolish. But then at Pride, grown ass men would be walking around in ass-less chaps, glitter thongs, or wearing a headdress made of dildos.

Yet despite the fact that a man's dirty, hairy ass makes me feel ill, I always felt comfortable there. When I was young, it was the only place I felt comfortable. It was the only place I would ever hold my girlfriend's hand in public. It was the only time I ever "outed" myself to new people, and wasn't actively hiding who I was or who I was dating. I remember looking forward to this one day a year where I could feel secure and openly be with someone, just for a few hours.

It was there at Pride among the flashy drag queens, the trans rights activists, the dykes on bikes, and every other LGBT subgroup to which I did not belong or could not relate (wtf is a Twunk?) that I felt the most acceptance. I didn't look / dress / behave like most people there, but I never once felt out of place. Most people in attendance are friendly, open minded, tolerant, respectful and full of love (also alcohol... and probably semen). To make me and so many others like me - especially young people - feel welcomed and confident and special and embraced, when we are usually compelled to feel the exact opposite, is in fact an accomplishment, and for that I am very proud.

I'm also extremely proud of all the activists and allies who continue to fight on behalf of LGBT rights. I don't think people realize how monumental of a victory marriage equality really was (or how insignificant it is if we don't know the gender identity of our fellow bathroom go-ers). We should be proud for trying to change the world for the better, and we are. So Pride, for me, has taken on a whole new significance. I now love, appreciate and respect the fuck out of the aptly named Pride.

I have been to New York, New Jersey, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC and Philadelphia Prides. NJ is my favorite.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 6:54:01 PM
At 7/6/2017 6:48:05 PM, Danielle wrote:
June was gay pride month. I saw some posts on Facebook lamenting the fact there isn't a "straight pride" month. There was a retaliatory meme noting heterosexuals should be grateful they don't need a month to celebrate the decline of their persecution. I would agree with that. Privileged people are so clueless ;)

But honestly, gay pride used to embarrass me. For awhile I rejected the term, because I think pride should only be reserved for accomplishments (and being gay is not an accomplishment, even if I am really good at it). It was because gays are always reinforcing "we're just like everybody else," and reassuring people that we're not crazy or foolish. But then at Pride, grown ass men would be walking around in ass-less chaps, glitter thongs, or wearing a headdress made of dildos.

Yet despite the fact that a man's dirty, hairy ass makes me feel ill, I always felt comfortable there. When I was young, it was the only place I felt comfortable. It was the only place I would ever hold my girlfriend's hand in public. It was the only time I ever "outed" myself to new people, and wasn't actively hiding who I was or who I was dating. I remember looking forward to this one day a year where I could feel secure and openly be with someone, just for a few hours.

It was there at Pride among the flashy drag queens, the trans rights activists, the dykes on bikes, and every other LGBT subgroup to which I did not belong or could not relate (wtf is a Twunk?) that I felt the most acceptance. I didn't look / dress / behave like most people there, but I never once felt out of place. Most people in attendance are friendly, open minded, tolerant, respectful and full of love (also alcohol... and probably semen). To make me and so many others like me - especially young people - feel welcomed and confident and special and embraced, when we are usually compelled to feel the exact opposite, is in fact an accomplishment, and for that I am very proud.

I'm also extremely proud of all the activists and allies who continue to fight on behalf of LGBT rights. I don't think people realize how monumental of a victory marriage equality really was (or how insignificant it is if we don't know the gender identity of our fellow bathroom go-ers). We should be proud for trying to change the world for the better, and we are. So Pride, for me, has taken on a whole new significance. I now love, appreciate and respect the fuck out of the aptly named Pride.

I have been to New York, New Jersey, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC and Philadelphia Prides. NJ is my favorite.

Just don't go to Russia, they are behind the times and do not accept it yet
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 7:46:30 PM
At 7/6/2017 6:54:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

Plus, their women are not all that attractive.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 8:02:03 PM
At 7/6/2017 7:46:30 PM, Danielle wrote:

I totally agree with that!! I have friends who just love Russian girls, I think they are ugly. I want a nice Texan girl LOL
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 8:20:15 PM
At 7/6/2017 8:02:03 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

I totally agree with that!! I have friends who just love Russian girls, I think they are ugly. I want a nice Texan girl LOL

I found her: https://media0.giphy.com...
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 8:31:15 PM
At 7/6/2017 8:20:15 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Ok that is not funny LOL, I like slim not a plumper. I don't mind some booty but that is crazy!!
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 8:46:54 PM
At 7/6/2017 8:31:15 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 7/6/2017 8:20:15 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Ok that is not funny LOL, I like slim not a plumper. I don't mind some booty but that is crazy!!

Oh come on...she's a hottie
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 9:53:19 PM
I'm glad there's not a straight month or straight parade. Just another thing I'd have to take time to consider participating in.

Is the food and drinks at these Pride things good? If I can get a good orange cream float and some sprite, I'm there
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 9:57:52 PM
I crossed paths with this really skinny, lanky ginger dude holding hands with this fat hairy Indian dude one day on my way to the gym. It was just me and them out in this otherwise completely desolate evening.

They nearly cried lol. God they were an ugly pairing. But I guess they made each other feel better about themselves or something. You know, I kinda feel it was my being disturbed by them that brought them together, if we're being totally honest. Nah, that's awful lol. Don't cry, dudes.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 10:01:05 PM
I do not mean to be homophobic there in any way. It was just a story.

They were two ugly motherf*ckers though.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 10:04:29 PM
I mean, downright hideous. An abomination.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 10:04:52 PM
They should have an ugly pride month.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 10:06:06 PM
At 7/6/2017 10:04:29 PM, Devilry wrote:

my sister once complained to me about how half the lesbians she meets are really ugly or just not interested in anything she is
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 10:10:45 PM
At 7/6/2017 10:06:06 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 7/6/2017 10:04:29 PM, Devilry wrote:

my sister once complained to me about how half the lesbians she meets are really ugly or just not interested in anything she is

I dunno, man.
OTempora
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 1:37:37 AM
I've only ever knowingly met one gay person I could get along with. All the others I've met seem to have disagreeable personalities.
#NoLoveForZarrothett
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 1:52:21 AM
At 7/6/2017 10:06:06 PM, Vaarka wrote:

It's true. Many lesbians are not attractive (except in California for some reason... I don't think ugly people are allowed to live there). I'm only attracted to feminine women, and most femmes like butch women so that sucks for me. I'm usually not their type.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 1:53:32 AM
At 7/7/2017 1:37:37 AM, OTempora wrote:
I've only ever knowingly met one gay person I could get along with. All the others I've met seem to have disagreeable personalities.

Lesbians are cool. I could do without gay men. Most of them are obnoxious and have little to offer.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 1:56:04 AM
At 7/7/2017 1:54:19 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/6/2017 10:04:52 PM, Devilry wrote:
They should have an ugly pride month.

You could be the Grand Marshal :)

Wow, is that meant to be derogative? Check your privilege, lady.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 1:58:44 AM
At 7/7/2017 1:57:47 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/7/2017 1:56:46 AM, Devilry wrote:
Skep is a cool af gay dude btw.

I don't know him really. I like Tim though.

I was like wtf is Tim lol. Ya spinko is cool too.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 1:59:03 AM
I've been to Boston's, New York's, Chicago's, and Atlanta's... I hate Atlanta lol but their parade is quaint, compared to others.

I don't love or hate pride, but it doesn't embarrass me. It means a lot for a lot of people, and the fact that it happens is important. It means that we won, and will continue to win the culture war.

The first time I ever kissed another guy in public was at Pride.
OTempora
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 10:41:42 AM
At 7/7/2017 1:53:32 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/7/2017 1:37:37 AM, OTempora wrote:

Lesbians are cool. I could do without gay men. Most of them are obnoxious and have little to offer.

I can't say I've ever really interacted with lesbians. I used to live next to two of them though, and they were very loud with their sex at very inconvenient times during the night... especially when you had exams the next morning.
#NoLoveForZarrothett
OTempora
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 10:43:22 AM
At 7/7/2017 1:59:03 AM, YYW wrote:
I've been to Boston's, New York's, Chicago's, and Atlanta's... I hate Atlanta lol but their parade is quaint, compared to others.

I don't love or hate pride, but it doesn't embarrass me. It means a lot for a lot of people, and the fact that it happens is important. It means that we won, and will continue to win the culture war.

The first time I ever kissed another guy in public was at Pride.

Do gays purposely not show affection towards each other in public otherwise?
#NoLoveForZarrothett
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 5:02:04 PM
At 7/7/2017 1:59:03 AM, YYW wrote:

I think it's important to remember that the first Pride was a riot. Considering it was retaliation for people getting harassed and attacked for being different, even in their own spaces (gay bars) I've learned to appreciate everyone walking around in public at Pride, looking/dressing completely wild and outrageous, just because they can.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 5:03:17 PM
At 7/7/2017 5:43:37 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I have never been to a pride, though my friend tried to convince me to go this year.

The city Prides (NY, Boston, Chicago) are very intense: crowded, loud, messy, but fun. There's a lot of energy. Philly and Washington DC are a little smaller and less wild. New Jersey Pride is located in one of my favorite places, Asbury Park, a beach town where I used to live. It's a very gay friendly city to begin with. The parade is small and quick. The entire thing really congregates in a giant grass field with a stage that has speakers, performers, etc. People bring picnic blankets and chill / drink. There are food trucks and a lot of vendors set up, which I never noticed at the big city Prides. Because the field is right next to the beach and boardwalk, you have access to so many beach bars, restaurants, etc. It's less crowded and a pretty setting.

Where do you live? Are you back in the States?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 5:04:01 PM
At 7/7/2017 10:41:42 AM, OTempora wrote:
I can't say I've ever really interacted with lesbians. I used to live next to two of them though, and they were very loud with their sex at very inconvenient times during the night... especially when you had exams the next morning.

We're loud because most of us are good in bed, and it usually lasts a pretty long time.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2017 5:09:40 PM
At 7/7/2017 10:43:22 AM, OTempora wrote:
Do gays purposely not show affection towards each other in public otherwise?

Yes. I used to be more paranoid about it than I am now. These days it's less about the insecurity, and more about not wanting to be gawked at. That's something gay men don't really experience but lesbians do (gay men probably get attacked more -- although I was assaulted for kissing a girl publicly in high school; someone threw stuff at me on the bus lol).

I don't know any gay men that get asked to make out for the sole purpose of entertaining others. I don't think gay men get whistled at when they hold hands in public. When you have 2 pretty blonde, feminine lesbians... it can be annoying. I usually go out of my way to avoid showing affection.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.