Jump to topic:

The Books You've Read

Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 3:45:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've read a lot of books. So I'll just say one of them, though it came in two parts when I read it.
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Ever play Dynasty Warriors?

I just thought it was entertaining. Fun how it was a fictional story based on historical events. I liked the characters.

https://www.amazon.com...
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 1:31:35 PM
At 6/10/2018 3:36:03 AM, YYW wrote:
What were the best books you've read? What made them the best?

Book ?
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 2:21:45 PM

I say this everytime people ask this question, but Past Sins

Looking past the setting or genre, it's really well written and it's the only book that has ever gotten me almost crying... and it managed to do it like three times.
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 3:15:02 PM

- Slaughterhouse Five

I love this book for a number of reasons. The nihilistic themes, as well as other general philosophical themes, the historical and scientific aspects of the story, the structure and progression of the story, and just the overall tone.

- The Odyssey

A really fun epic adventure story. What's interesting about this one is the fact that it's from ancient times, and is inherently told under that point of view, as opposed to more modern stories. It's more brutal than a standard adventure story today. But the scope and length of the adventure is enough to keep it enjoyable as well.

- The Epic of Gilgamesh

This story more or less mixes the elements of the above two books into another excellent book. It's even more ancient than The Odyssey, yet has philosophical themes behind it that still resonate today. The adventure elements, while short, are really vivid and interesting as well.
We are not dead. We have never lived. - Varg Vikernes, "Det som en gang var"
ILikePie5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 3:24:19 PM

Literally all of the books on my profile page lol
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2018 2:22:27 AM
At 6/10/2018 3:15:02 PM, Subutai wrote:
The Odyssey

I think that I hated having to read that book in school when they made us. I think I was even reading a different book at the time behind the Odyssey and got in trouble for that. Apparently the Odyssey was more memorable though because I don't know what the other book was now.

Vaguely remember thinking Odysseys went a bit overboard in killing the suitors, killing the maids who slept with some of them. Different time period values maybe. Though admittedly the suitors were a bit of a$$*****.

Man, I should read that book again, it's been years and years. Tried reading Ulysses by James Joyce once but gave up pretty quick. I'm not sure that I like anything by Joyce.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2018 3:13:56 AM
At 6/11/2018 2:22:27 AM, Leaning wrote:
At 6/10/2018 3:15:02 PM, Subutai wrote:
The Odyssey

I think that I hated having to read that book in school when they made us. I think I was even reading a different book at the time behind the Odyssey and got in trouble for that. Apparently the Odyssey was more memorable though because I don't know what the other book was now.

Vaguely remember thinking Odysseys went a bit overboard in killing the suitors, killing the maids who slept with some of them. Different time period values maybe. Though admittedly the suitors were a bit of a$$*****.

Man, I should read that book again, it's been years and years. Tried reading Ulysses by James Joyce once but gave up pretty quick. I'm not sure that I like anything by Joyce.

I think being forced to read any book takes away the enjoyment somewhat. And yeah, the actions of the characters in the story were from a very different time, 500 before what we commonly refer to when we say ancient Greece. The characters were mythical as well.

To me, the story was rather fast-paced and had that mythic vibe due to its length, disparate locations, and general tone, and that's what I appreciate most in adventure stories.
We are not dead. We have never lived. - Varg Vikernes, "Det som en gang var"
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2018 3:22:22 AM
At 6/11/2018 3:13:56 AM, Subutai wrote:
To me, the story was rather fast-paced and had that mythic vibe due to its length, disparate locations, and general tone, and that's what I appreciate most in adventure stories.

It was that.

I also watched the 1997 movie version back in school, but don't think I enjoyed it much.

I do now think it was a good book. Funnily enough I suspect there are a number of books I hated being forced to read that I now think are good. Catch 22 for example is a favorite of mine now that I hated in school.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 3:46:08 AM
At 6/10/2018 2:21:45 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Looking past the setting or genre, it's really well written and it's the only book that has ever gotten me almost crying... and it managed to do it like three times.

Do you recall when you first read it? School? Library? Suggested?
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 11:59:04 AM
At 8/11/2018 3:46:08 AM, Leaning wrote:
At 6/10/2018 2:21:45 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Do you recall when you first read it? School? Library? Suggested?

It was 1am and I was trying to recall the name of a video someone had been animating a few years earlier (he started the animation in 2013 and afaik hadn't finished yet). Found some other random thing and I guess piqued my interest b/c I didn't know what it was. Found out it was a story called Past Sins and decided to give it a read.

Very glad I decided to give it a read.
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 9:20:19 PM

How about yourself?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 9:51:46 PM
At 8/11/2018 9:20:19 PM, Leaning wrote:

How about yourself?

Everything Dostoevsky ever wrote.

Everything Aleksander Solzhenitsyn wrote.

And probably beyond that, The Count of Monte Cristo.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 9:55:49 PM
Would you recommend Demons by Dostoevsky?

I've been thinking on buying some new books recently and that's one I haven't read yet, and have been considering.

I've read Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. Really enjoyed Crime and Punishment, but I didn't feel satisfied at the end of The Brothers Karamazov, it felt unresolved to me, kind of unfinished somehow.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 10:00:29 PM
At 8/11/2018 9:55:49 PM, Leaning wrote:
Would you recommend Demons by Dostoevsky?

Brothers Karamazov
Crime and Punishment
Notes from Underground

That's where I'd start.

I've been thinking on buying some new books recently and that's one I haven't read yet, and have been considering.

I've read Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. Really enjoyed Crime and Punishment, but I didn't feel satisfied at the end of The Brothers Karamazov, it felt unresolved to me, kind of unfinished somehow.

Why?
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 10:04:27 PM
It's been years since I read it. But, I think it felt like everything in the book got torn down, while nothing got built up...

Kind of like in many stories where the main characters mess up and everything looks it's bleakest. But then they make a comeback. Deconstruction is fine, reconstruction fine too. I 'think' that's what bothered me about it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 10:13:00 PM
At 8/11/2018 10:04:27 PM, Leaning wrote:
It's been years since I read it. But, I think it felt like everything in the book got torn down, while nothing got built up...

Kind of like in many stories where the main characters mess up and everything looks it's bleakest. But then they make a comeback. Deconstruction is fine, reconstruction fine too. I 'think' that's what bothered me about it.

The point of the book is to show how different people's decisions affect their lives and wellbeing, and the lives and wellbeing of others, no matter what circumstance they come from.

Dostoevsky holds out Alyosha as the best of the other alternatives.

The characters are the point of the book.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 10:16:10 PM
Yeah, but to me it felt like Alyosha never had a chance to really rebuild his faith and all that. Only part I remember though is his 'teacher' not getting a miraculous pine scented funeral. But, pretty sure number of other events happened to him... Hmm, on my to reread list.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 10:20:57 PM
At 8/11/2018 10:16:10 PM, Leaning wrote:
Yeah, but to me it felt like Alyosha never had a chance to really rebuild his faith and all that. Only part I remember though is his 'teacher' not getting a miraculous pine scented funeral. But, pretty sure number of other events happened to him... Hmm, on my to reread list.

Alyosha never lost his faith.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 10:23:08 PM
As I said, on my to reread list. I read it about 9 years ago in the middle of high school I think. Or Freshman year, all I remember is reading in in Spanish class once, while not paying attention to Spanish class. Bit's and pieces of it now is all I remember.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2018 10:26:46 PM
At 8/11/2018 10:23:08 PM, Leaning wrote:
As I said, on my to reread list. I read it about 9 years ago in the middle of high school I think. Or Freshman year, all I remember is reading in in Spanish class once, while not paying attention to Spanish class. Bit's and pieces of it now is all I remember.

Fair enough

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.