Jump to topic:

Moving to Florida

Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2017 6:54:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm planning on moving to Florida at the end of the summer.

This will be a big step for me. I know no one in Florida, and have only been to the state twice in my life on 5-day vacations (once at the age of 5, another at 10.)

Here's what I plan to do:

I currently have about $4k in savings. By the end of the summer, I will probably have at least $5k. I plan to buy a car at some point once I find one for $2k or less, as I currently don't have one. That leaves me with roughly $3k in savings. I am going to go to Florida at the end of the summer by packing my belongings in my car, and driving down there. Once I find a community I like, I will stop and establish myself there. I will live on the $3k until I find a job of some sort, which shouldn't take too long.

I've already technically finished high-school, though I won't officially be done until May. I'm also half way through a locksmith trade course I'm taking, and should be done with that at the same time, May.

My plan once I find a community to settle in is to find a job, preferably in the locksmith industry (it is good paying work, and very non-physical by nature). If I can't, I'll take whatever I can get for the time being (factory job or something), as it will only be a temporary measure anyway. Once I ma established in the community, and have some capital saved up from the job, I will start some various businesses. Probably first of all, I'll start my own locksmith business, and have that be my main source of income. Then, I will work on setting up various businesses which can be run more or less without my direct involvement, a more passive business, once it is set up fully. This could be online, physical, I have several different kind in mind for various different industries.

The main reason I want to move to Florida (aside from the lovely climate) is because I feel that I need to be somewhere where I have opportunity as an individual, economically speaking. Where I currently live, (Dayton, TN) there is no real opportunity. It is a community where it is hard to find competent people to hire, or work with (think "unmotivated"), and there is no growth potential. Florida, as I see it, being the 10th largest economy in the world, is bound to have all sorts of opportunity for a young, enterprising man. While it is true that Tennessee is full of opportunity as a whole and growing, Florida I believe is just more of what I need right now in my life. Not knowing anyone and being fairly far away from all my family and friends will give me the opportunity to grow, and also force me to rely on my own production by the grace of God, and not have any sort of safety net that living close to your family provides, thus teaching me how to be personally proficient in all that I set my mind to do.

Also, I am going to ask my right-hand man if he would like to accompany me. He is a nice young man, but faces similar problems as I do, only somewhat worse. He is somewhat unsure of what he wants to set about to accomplish. While I want to become a wealthy and successful business man, and create for myself a passive income stream that will provide me with money whether I actively work or not, he doesn't seem to know what drives him, what he is passionate concerning.

Part of this is, he is autistic. While he has made incredible progress over the years at coming out of his shell, he faces a very large problem: his parents. Don't get me wrong, his parents love and care for him very much. But he is an only child, and traditionally has been very needy, because of his autism. And his parents are somewhat controlling as individuals. They have mapped his entire life out for him from what he will major in college (he does not wish to go to college) to what girl he will marry (he doesn't want a relationship, much less marriage). Obviously, they haven't said all this, but it is fairly obvious what their intentions are.

This, in my opinion, is not good for him. He needs space, just like me, to grow and flourish as an individual. And as long as he lives under his parents umbrella, he will not experience this.

He has talked before about getting away, though without definite plans or ideas. Though I haven't offered to have him accompany me yet, I am fairly certain he will accept the invitation. If he doesn't that is fine too, but it is very likely he will. The only thing is, his parents will not like the idea at all. They will do everything possible to urge him to do otherwise, and I am fairly confident he will leave without their blessing. And while he'll certainly have a better and easier time going off with someone he knows
and trusts better than by himself, I know they still won't like the idea much at all.

This doesn't really have anything to do with it, I just wanted you all to have the full story.

The only problem is, while I will have finished high school, he will still have a year left. I initially thought that maybe I should just not offer to have him join me until he was finished, but I no longer think that. Why? Again, it goes back to his parents. I know he wants out of that situation and wants out pretty bad, so what I decided I'd do is offer to have him come with me, and we could live together and he could finish his ladt year in Florida. While it is true I would have to financially support him until he finished and could also find work, that is not really a problem. He could help out around the house, cleaning and doing the cooking and what-not when he wasn't studying, and that would still help quite a bit.

As for where I plan to go in Florida, that is still up in the air. I've though about checking out the Jacksonville area, or maybe even Jacksonville itself. The thing is, I've lived in a small town all my life, and big city living would seem a bit unnerving, especially such a large city as Jacksonville. But at the same time, large cities probably have the best potential economic wise, it should be fairly easy to find good employees and business opportunities there, since there are so any different people, and so much going on.

Also, it'll be pretty lonely at first, since I don't know anyone there, and have never really been away from family at any point in my life. On the other hand, I usually have little difficulty making friends, as I tend to be an extrovert.

So, those are my plans. What do you think? Do you have any comments, advice or suggestions on where in Florida might be a good place for someone like me? If so, please share. :)
"Never thought I'd be sitting up at 9:20 at night discussing with a random stranger how to best acquire a goat carcass." ~Tree of Death

==================================================================

Check out my gaming channel if you are into that sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com...
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2017 8:46:57 AM
At 1/22/2017 6:54:16 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:

This will be a big step for me. I know no one in Florida, and have only been to the state twice in my life on 5-day vacations (once at the age of 5, another at 10.)

I currently have about $4k in savings. By the end of the summer, I will probably have at least $5k. I plan to buy a car at some point once I find one for $2k or less, as I currently don't have one. That leaves me with roughly $3k in savings. I am going to go to Florida at the end of the summer by packing my belongings in my car, and driving down there. Once I find a community I like, I will stop and establish myself there. I will live on the $3k until I find a job of some sort, which shouldn't take too long.

I've already technically finished high-school, though I won't officially be done until May. I'm also half way through a locksmith trade course I'm taking, and should be done with that at the same time, May.

My plan once I find a community to settle in is to find a job, preferably in the locksmith industry (it is good paying work, and very non-physical by nature). If I can't, I'll take whatever I can get for the time being (factory job or something), as it will only be a temporary measure anyway. Once I ma established in the community, and have some capital saved up from the job, I will start some various businesses. Probably first of all, I'll start my own locksmith business, and have that be my main source of income. Then, I will work on setting up various businesses which can be run more or less without my direct involvement, a more passive business, once it is set up fully. This could be online, physical, I have several different kind in mind for various different industries.

The main reason I want to move to Florida (aside from the lovely climate) is because I feel that I need to be somewhere where I have opportunity as an individual, economically speaking. Where I currently live, (Dayton, TN) there is no real opportunity. It is a community where it is hard to find competent people to hire, or work with (think "unmotivated"), and there is no growth potential. Florida, as I see it, being the 10th largest economy in the world, is bound to have all sorts of opportunity for a young, enterprising man. While it is true that Tennessee is full of opportunity as a whole and growing, Florida I believe is just more of what I need right now in my life. Not knowing anyone and being fairly far away from all my family and friends will give me the opportunity to grow, and also force me to rely on my own production by the grace of God, and not have any sort of safety net that living close to your family provides, thus teaching me how to be personally proficient in all that I set my mind to do.

Also, I am going to ask my right-hand man if he would like to accompany me. He is a nice young man, but faces similar problems as I do, only somewhat worse. He is somewhat unsure of what he wants to set about to accomplish. While I want to become a wealthy and successful business man, and create for myself a passive income stream that will provide me with money whether I actively work or not, he doesn't seem to know what drives him, what he is passionate concerning.

Part of this is, he is autistic. While he has made incredible progress over the years at coming out of his shell, he faces a very large problem: his parents. Don't get me wrong, his parents love and care for him very much. But he is an only child, and traditionally has been very needy, because of his autism. And his parents are somewhat controlling as individuals. They have mapped his entire life out for him from what he will major in college (he does not wish to go to college) to what girl he will marry (he doesn't want a relationship, much less marriage). Obviously, they haven't said all this, but it is fairly obvious what their intentions are.

This, in my opinion, is not good for him. He needs space, just like me, to grow and flourish as an individual. And as long as he lives under his parents umbrella, he will not experience this.

He has talked before about getting away, though without definite plans or ideas. Though I haven't offered to have him accompany me yet, I am fairly certain he will accept the invitation. If he doesn't that is fine too, but it is very likely he will. The only thing is, his parents will not like the idea at all. They will do everything possible to urge him to do otherwise, and I am fairly confident he will leave without their blessing. And while he'll certainly have a better and easier time going off with someone he knows
and trusts better than by himself, I know they still won't like the idea much at all.

This doesn't really have anything to do with it, I just wanted you all to have the full story.

The only problem is, while I will have finished high school, he will still have a year left. I initially thought that maybe I should just not offer to have him join me until he was finished, but I no longer think that. Why? Again, it goes back to his parents. I know he wants out of that situation and wants out pretty bad, so what I decided I'd do is offer to have him come with me, and we could live together and he could finish his ladt year in Florida. While it is true I would have to financially support him until he finished and could also find work, that is not really a problem. He could help out around the house, cleaning and doing the cooking and what-not when he wasn't studying, and that would still help quite a bit.

As for where I plan to go in Florida, that is still up in the air. I've though about checking out the Jacksonville area, or maybe even Jacksonville itself. The thing is, I've lived in a small town all my life, and big city living would seem a bit unnerving, especially such a large city as Jacksonville. But at the same time, large cities probably have the best potential economic wise, it should be fairly easy to find good employees and business opportunities there, since there are so any different people, and so much going on.

Also, it'll be pretty lonely at first, since I don't know anyone there, and have never really been away from family at any point in my life. On the other hand, I usually have little difficulty making friends, as I tend to be an extrovert.

So, those are my plans. What do you think? Do you have any comments, advice or suggestions on where in Florida might be a good place for someone like me? If so, please share. :)

Ocala is a great place and a growing place. It's basically 90 minutes or so from the ocean and from the Gulf Of Mexicol. Sarasota is also a great growing city.
this site is dead. It doesn't even correctly post replies..
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2017 3:56:48 PM

Clermont is a nice area...
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2017 2:46:31 AM
From experience living here, FL is a great place to live as long as you do not mind terrible driving and lack of snow. Rent is fairly cheap, and depending on where you live, you are always by a theme park or beach. It is a great place if you want to live rich, even if you don't make that much money. Good luck making the move, I would advise trying to find jobs in the area which you want to move in advance of moving.
Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2017 10:13:41 PM
At 1/24/2017 2:46:31 AM, Fernyx wrote:
From experience living here, FL is a great place to live as long as you do not mind terrible driving and lack of snow. Rent is fairly cheap, and depending on where you live, you are always by a theme park or beach. It is a great place if you want to live rich, even if you don't make that much money. Good luck making the move, I would advise trying to find jobs in the area which you want to move in advance of moving.

Thank you very much, it's good to hear from a current Florida resident. I've thought about trying to find a job first, but I can't quite do that because I'm still unsure as to where I plan to go. It will be more of a go down there and see what I like kind of deal.
"Never thought I'd be sitting up at 9:20 at night discussing with a random stranger how to best acquire a goat carcass." ~Tree of Death

Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2017 12:46:44 AM
Update: I asked my right-hand man if he'd like to accompany me to Florida, but he had other plans. I'll be going alone.

TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2017 6:17:34 PM

Fantastic. I love Florida. I'm jealous right now.

If this is true don't just plan on doing this when you move there. Plan ahead. Call ahead. Contact other locksmiths in the area and let them know a fellow locksmith is planning to move down and start your own business after finishing the trade school. Networking is crucial to success and every more so for major success. If your not networking before heading down there you're setti yourself up for your failure. Do not do this.

Very perceptive if you. And you have a drive most people don't.

I would suggest looking into the Destin area or others area of the panhandle (the top left skinny part of Florida). I loved it when I lived there and it's still growing. If you plan on starting a business I would recommend starting one in the general area of a hospital, a high school, a university, or a military base. Those places will always have constant stream of customers old and new.

Love long and prosper, mate.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2017 8:50:22 PM

Assuming you put your correct age on your profile, it's a good thing you are being so mature and decided to move out by yourself.

Best of luck to you :)
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2017 9:29:11 PM
I'm very jealous of how much you know what you're doing with your life.
"HEY GUYS I ASSOCIATE WITH GIRL!"
- Vaarka
Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2017 3:22:24 AM
At 1/27/2017 6:17:34 PM, TheFlex wrote:

Fantastic. I love Florida. I'm jealous right now.

If this is true don't just plan on doing this when you move there. Plan ahead. Call ahead. Contact other locksmiths in the area and let them know a fellow locksmith is planning to move down and start your own business after finishing the trade school. Networking is crucial to success and every more so for major success. If your not networking before heading down there you're setti yourself up for your failure. Do not do this.

Excellent advice, thank you very much. :)

Very perceptive if you. And you have a drive most people don't.

I would suggest looking into the Destin area or others area of the panhandle (the top left skinny part of Florida). I loved it when I lived there and it's still growing. If you plan on starting a business I would recommend starting one in the general area of a hospital, a high school, a university, or a military base. Those places will always have constant stream of customers old and new.

Love long and prosper, mate.

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 1:09:35 AM
At 1/22/2017 8:46:57 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
Ocala is a great place and a growing place. It's basically 90 minutes or so from the ocean and from the Gulf Of Mexicol. Sarasota is also a great growing city.

As someone from the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area, I've never heard anyone speak positively of Ocala.
: At 10/2/2017 3:00:43 AM, YYW wrote:
: Bossy: You are Regina.

:Inferno wrote:
:You sound rather gay.

-- And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

"I believe that my powers of mind are surely such that I would have become in a
certain sense a resolver of all problems. I do not believe that I could have remained in
error anywhere for long. I believe that I would have earned the name of Redeemer,
because I had the nature of a Redeemer. "
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 2:31:13 AM
Don't come here unless you like the ocean or really unchanging scenery. And I mean really, really, really like it. Florida gets old really fast if you have any desire for a change of scenery. Nothing but flat, green and swamps in southern Florida nothing but flat green and palmetto bushers in central florida and nothing but flat, green and skinny pine trees in northern florida. Have a plan to stay and then leave. It is a minimum of a twelve hour drive before you see anything different That's my advice.
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 1:27:30 PM
At 3/22/2017 1:09:35 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

As someone from the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area, I've never heard anyone speak positively of Ocala.

What's wrong with Ocala?

Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 1:29:04 PM
At 3/22/2017 2:31:13 AM, sadolite wrote:
Don't come here unless you like the ocean or really unchanging scenery. And I mean really, really, really like it. Florida gets old really fast if you have any desire for a change of scenery. Nothing but flat, green and swamps in southern Florida nothing but flat green and palmetto bushers in central florida and nothing but flat, green and skinny pine trees in northern florida. Have a plan to stay and then leave. It is a minimum of a twelve hour drive before you see anything different That's my advice.

Thanks for the advice. The scenery in Florida doesn't bother me. I don't care much about the ocean though, my main reason for moving there is an increase in economic opportunities.

Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 6:23:37 PM

As someone from Palm Harbor the only time I have heard it brought up is high school basketball.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2017 3:52:55 AM
At 3/22/2017 1:29:04 PM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:

Thanks for the advice. The scenery in Florida doesn't bother me. I don't care much about the ocean though, my main reason for moving there is an increase in economic opportunities.

That we have, but like anything else to succeed, Your ambition and drive will determine your success. Learn to be a real estate appraiser if you can. Big money. You can make upwards of $600 a day. That's what my wife does. I don't see any of that money though.LOL

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
GoldFyre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2017 3:53:59 AM
At 3/23/2017 3:52:55 AM, sadolite wrote:

That we have, but like anything else to succeed, Your ambition and drive will determine your success. Learn to be a real estate appraiser if you can. Big money. You can make upwards of $600 a day. That's what my wife does. I don't see any of that money though.LOL

What does you wife do with all of this money that you don't see?
Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2017 3:57:59 AM

Haha. ;)

That sounds good. There is a lot of stuff I've looked into doing.

I'm actually not planning to move at the date specified in the post above anymore. I recently got a position with a company as a Marketing Director. At some point, the company will open up a branch office in Florida, and I will be put in charge of that entire branch. So, with such a great opportunity, my move to Florida has been temporarily postponed.

skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2017 5:21:23 PM

So, what's your point? That those people are right because you've talked to a few people. I hope you don't base your lifes decisions upon others opinions
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2017 2:36:57 AM
At 3/24/2017 5:21:23 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

So, what's your point? That those people are right because you've talked to a few people. I hope you don't base your lifes decisions upon others opinions

Ocala does suck, go there only when I have to. I live in Florida.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2017 2:39:21 AM
At 3/23/2017 3:53:59 AM, GoldFyre wrote:

Travels to Europe, which is fine by me because she takes the kids and I have the house all to myself for like a month at a time. I went one time, never want to go back. There is nothing about Europe or scandinavia that I like.

GoldFyre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2017 3:12:15 AM
At 3/25/2017 2:39:21 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/23/2017 3:53:59 AM, GoldFyre wrote:

Travels to Europe, which is fine by me because she takes the kids and I have the house all to myself for like a month at a time. I went one time, never want to go back. There is nothing about Europe or scandinavia that I like.

Isn't that kind of cold? She doesn't want to pay for you and she take the kids? That seems odd
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2017 5:07:24 PM
At 3/25/2017 2:36:57 AM, sadolite wrote:

So you go from what other people say to personal opinion. Wow, nice save
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2017 12:28:37 AM
At 3/25/2017 5:07:24 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

No, I said Ocala does suck because I have been there, I live in Florida. I am reaffirming that Ocala does suck because I have been there. Ocala is Ocala if you like Ocala. If you don't like cities like Ocala then it sucks.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2017 12:35:16 AM
At 3/27/2017 12:28:37 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/25/2017 5:07:24 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

No, I said Ocala does suck because I have been there, I live in Florida. I am reaffirming that Ocala does suck because I have been there. Ocala is Ocala if you like Ocala. If you don't like cities like Ocala then it sucks.

https://www.reddit.com...

http://www.city-data.com...

http://ocalasucks.blogspot.com...

http://s350.photobucket.com...

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.