Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Logic books

bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 11:58:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, I'm curious:

Does anyone know of a decent and non-boring text on logic?

I mean, I've read a bunch of the classics, and "boring" isn't quite the word for them as they're quite interesting, but when I really want entertainment with my philosophy, and introductions to terms, I go somewhere like www.philosophybro.com.

But that's not a book, so while I suppose I could load a bunch of stuff into kindle the hard way, I'm also interested in finding a book of similar kind.

Any thoughts?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:14:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I recently finished "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" by Wittgenstein. Only logic book I've read. Besides the non-logic parts (mostly language) I didn't get much out of it because I really know little about all the terms used in logic. So I don't really have much to recommend but it was good I suppose if you haven't read it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:26:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/17/2013 12:14:25 AM, phantom wrote:
I recently finished "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" by Wittgenstein. Only logic book I've read. Besides the non-logic parts (mostly language) I didn't get much out of it because I really know little about all the terms used in logic. So I don't really have much to recommend but it was good I suppose if you haven't read it.

But was it entertaining?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:28:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/17/2013 12:26:09 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 1/17/2013 12:14:25 AM, phantom wrote:
I recently finished "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" by Wittgenstein. Only logic book I've read. Besides the non-logic parts (mostly language) I didn't get much out of it because I really know little about all the terms used in logic. So I don't really have much to recommend but it was good I suppose if you haven't read it.

But was it entertaining?

Entertaining? In what sense? Do you qualify intellectual stimulation as entertainment? I wouldn't call philosophy books entertaining personally, but if that's what you're looking for, yes.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:39:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Entertaining vs. dry. Most philosophy works are fairly dry, and/or they've had their entertainment wrung out by translation.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:50:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/17/2013 12:39:43 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Entertaining vs. dry. Most philosophy works are fairly dry, and/or they've had their entertainment wrung out by translation.

Oh, I would warn you he's very lacking in clarifications and examples. I think if he expounded as much as most philosophers, the book would have been twice as long. If you like logic, it's probably not dry, though it was a little dry to me. And like I said, it's not all logic, he speaks a deal about language as well. Perhaps more so actually.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.