Logic books

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 11:58:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, I'm curious:

Does anyone know of a decent and non-boring text on logic?

I mean, I've read a bunch of the classics, and "boring" isn't quite the word for them as they're quite interesting, but when I really want entertainment with my philosophy, and introductions to terms, I go somewhere like www.philosophybro.com.

But that's not a book, so while I suppose I could load a bunch of stuff into kindle the hard way, I'm also interested in finding a book of similar kind.

Any thoughts?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:14:25 AM
I recently finished "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" by Wittgenstein. Only logic book I've read. Besides the non-logic parts (mostly language) I didn't get much out of it because I really know little about all the terms used in logic. So I don't really have much to recommend but it was good I suppose if you haven't read it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:26:09 AM
At 1/17/2013 12:14:25 AM, phantom wrote:
I recently finished "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus" by Wittgenstein. Only logic book I've read. Besides the non-logic parts (mostly language) I didn't get much out of it because I really know little about all the terms used in logic. So I don't really have much to recommend but it was good I suppose if you haven't read it.

But was it entertaining?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:28:22 AM
At 1/17/2013 12:26:09 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 1/17/2013 12:14:25 AM, phantom wrote:

But was it entertaining?

Entertaining? In what sense? Do you qualify intellectual stimulation as entertainment? I wouldn't call philosophy books entertaining personally, but if that's what you're looking for, yes.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:39:43 AM
Entertaining vs. dry. Most philosophy works are fairly dry, and/or they've had their entertainment wrung out by translation.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 12:50:31 AM
At 1/17/2013 12:39:43 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Entertaining vs. dry. Most philosophy works are fairly dry, and/or they've had their entertainment wrung out by translation.

Oh, I would warn you he's very lacking in clarifications and examples. I think if he expounded as much as most philosophers, the book would have been twice as long. If you like logic, it's probably not dry, though it was a little dry to me. And like I said, it's not all logic, he speaks a deal about language as well. Perhaps more so actually.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.