Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Team Debating!

bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:35:40 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/3/2013 11:23:50 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Interesting. It'd be cool if someone would set up a 'Team Theism.'

I know, right? I'm hoping I can slowly get this team going and maybe get a team captain for that team, too.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:45:35 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
So all debating would be through that account?

I'm interested for now, though I don't know how much I can debate atm.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:49:54 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:45:35 AM, phantom wrote:
So all debating would be through that account?

I'm interested for now, though I don't know how much I can debate atm.

Not all debating necessarily; you wouldn't have to participate all the time through the team, you'd still have your own profile a'course. And if the team had, say 20 members, and the team account was debating two topics, one of which interested you and one of which didn't, you could be on that debate but not the other.

Or at least that's my plan anyway.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:55:16 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:49:54 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:45:35 AM, phantom wrote:
So all debating would be through that account?

I'm interested for now, though I don't know how much I can debate atm.

Not all debating necessarily; you wouldn't have to participate all the time through the team, you'd still have your own profile a'course. And if the team had, say 20 members, and the team account was debating two topics, one of which interested you and one of which didn't, you could be on that debate but not the other.

Or at least that's my plan anyway.

I meant all team debating would be through the account.

Approx how many members per debate were you thinking?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 1:14:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:55:16 AM, phantom wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:49:54 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:45:35 AM, phantom wrote:
So all debating would be through that account?

I'm interested for now, though I don't know how much I can debate atm.

Not all debating necessarily; you wouldn't have to participate all the time through the team, you'd still have your own profile a'course. And if the team had, say 20 members, and the team account was debating two topics, one of which interested you and one of which didn't, you could be on that debate but not the other.

Or at least that's my plan anyway.

I meant all team debating would be through the account.

Approx how many members per debate were you thinking?

I have no idea! I thought it might vary depending on the opponent. If Team Atheism has 20 folks, and there's a Team Theism with 20 folks, that's fair, but if Team Atheism debates Team Deism, and they only have 5 folks, then it's not fair for it to be 20:5.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Krestoff
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 6:42:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 1:14:50 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:55:16 AM, phantom wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:49:54 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:45:35 AM, phantom wrote:
So all debating would be through that account?

I'm interested for now, though I don't know how much I can debate atm.

Not all debating necessarily; you wouldn't have to participate all the time through the team, you'd still have your own profile a'course. And if the team had, say 20 members, and the team account was debating two topics, one of which interested you and one of which didn't, you could be on that debate but not the other.

Or at least that's my plan anyway.

I meant all team debating would be through the account.

Approx how many members per debate were you thinking?

I have no idea! I thought it might vary depending on the opponent. If Team Atheism has 20 folks, and there's a Team Theism with 20 folks, that's fair, but if Team Atheism debates Team Deism, and they only have 5 folks, then it's not fair for it to be 20:5.

Numerical majority doesn't make teams inherently unfair, the debate would come down to quality of arguments. If anything, having a larger team would be a detriment since, I assume, everyone on the team would have to vet the next set of arguments since this would probably quickly evolve competitively. Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

Perhaps a limit of 5 members per team would be reasonable? I'm partial to pairs of members constituting a "team" myself but that's just my competitive bias from parliamentary debate.

Regardless, a very interesting idea!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 9:52:30 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 6:36:30 AM, natoast wrote:
so can multiple people e signed into the same account at once?

No. The login is really the same as any other login, and I figured for the sake of accountability, the Team Captain would be the one who actually controls the user; all posts would go through him or her. I'm afraid that if the whole team had the login, there might be more violations of protocol, and it would be more difficult to prove who did what.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 9:56:30 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 6:42:49 AM, Krestoff wrote:

Numerical majority doesn't make teams inherently unfair, the debate would come down to quality of arguments. If anything, having a larger team would be a detriment since, I assume, everyone on the team would have to vet the next set of arguments since this would probably quickly evolve competitively. Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

Perhaps a limit of 5 members per team would be reasonable? I'm partial to pairs of members constituting a "team" myself but that's just my competitive bias from parliamentary debate.

Regardless, a very interesting idea!

Good point about numerical majority, I was just more speaking that from the perspective of fairness, I presume that the respective team captains would probably work out the rules beforehand and generally aim for a certain degree of parity.

I don't know if a hard limit, especially a low hard limit, is a good idea at this point; I don't want to be exclusionary, and I want to get as much interest in this as possible. I don't think airmax wants to suddenly get 400 requests for new teams, rather, I think I want to try to get everyone interested on this team, then get a single other team of similar construction, and do a few debates as a sort of "proof of concept".

In general, though, I agree that a large team might be unwieldy, though I also think that it has potential as a concept.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
unitedandy
Posts: 1,174
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 11:54:41 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Having participated in a team debate in the past for the 16kadams trial, I can say it's definitely a different sort of challenge and a lot of fun as well. It will definitely be worth following, if you guys can manage to sort it out.
Anonymous
2/4/2013 11:54:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
We have tried this before and it died into obscurity...

Let's hope this works though!
Inquisitive
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 11:56:16 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have inspired a good thing hopefully :)
If I had to make a signature it wouldn't be this.

The above statement is false.

The first statement is true and the below (fourth) statement is true.

The second statement is true.

All of that was a lie.

Just kidding, none of it was a lie.

Just kidding.

Just kidding, I'm not kidding.

I'm only kidding, I'm just joking.

If this has begun to piss you off please refer to the first message for guidance.
Anonymous
2/4/2013 11:56:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Let all users post through one account if wanted, methinks.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:03:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 11:56:25 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Let all users post through one account if wanted, methinks.

You mean give all the members of the team the login?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
lannan13
Posts: 24,704
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:08:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'd love to do it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

"Sometimes it is hell, trying to get to heaven."- Undertaker

Keep a Positive Mental Attitude!

DDO Hall of Famer
Anonymous
2/4/2013 12:24:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Kinesis, I'd be happy to team up with you.
Inquisitive
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:28:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'll join team atheist if you wanted.

I prefer to debate about deeper philosophy than religion.

Fate versus randomness theory (I support randomness)

Or luck versus karma theory to explain sudden good fortunes of good people (I believe luck is to blame)
If I had to make a signature it wouldn't be this.

The above statement is false.

The first statement is true and the below (fourth) statement is true.

The second statement is true.

All of that was a lie.

Just kidding, none of it was a lie.

Just kidding.

Just kidding, I'm not kidding.

I'm only kidding, I'm just joking.

If this has begun to piss you off please refer to the first message for guidance.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:38:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:08:34 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I'd love to do it.

Aren't you a theist?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:39:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:24:07 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Kinesis, I'd be happy to team up with you.

Sure! Do people have topics in mind?
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:44:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:39:51 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:24:07 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Kinesis, I'd be happy to team up with you.

Sure! Do people have topics in mind?

Is it all going to be theism vs athiesm?
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:47:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:44:18 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:39:51 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:24:07 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Kinesis, I'd be happy to team up with you.

Sure! Do people have topics in mind?

Is it all going to be theism vs athiesm?

I don't think it has to be. I just picked a subject that I figured most team-members would be people I could get along with well enough; while I can get along with quite a few religious people, of course, at the same time, I figured the odds were more in my favor, if there was only going to be 1 necessary characteristic to be on the team.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
natoast
Posts: 204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 1:15:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 9:52:30 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/4/2013 6:36:30 AM, natoast wrote:
so can multiple people e signed into the same account at once?

No. The login is really the same as any other login, and I figured for the sake of accountability, the Team Captain would be the one who actually controls the user; all posts would go through him or her. I'm afraid that if the whole team had the login, there might be more violations of protocol, and it would be more difficult to prove who did what.

So the team member would tell the captain their post and then the captain would actually post it?
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 1:19:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 1:15:16 PM, natoast wrote:
t.

So the team member would tell the captain their post and then the captain would actually post it?

Yeah. That way, the Captain has ultimate responsibility, and if they say X sent them something to post, it should be easy to prove that.

If everyone on the team had the login, I fear a "bad" teammate could troll, and post something, and the only way we'd know it wasn't the person who was identified was if airmax looked at the IP logs, and even those can (in theory) be spoofed, so aren't necessarily ironclad, plus it's more work for him and I am trying to avoid that.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Inquisitive
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 1:20:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:45:36 PM, Team_Atheism wrote:
(Team Captain: bladerunner060) (Poster: bladerunner060)


Okay, so Kinesis is the first "Official" member of Team_Atheism, for being the first to explictly say "Yes"!

I'll be happy to join. Is there an initiation test?
If I had to make a signature it wouldn't be this.

The above statement is false.

The first statement is true and the below (fourth) statement is true.

The second statement is true.

All of that was a lie.

Just kidding, none of it was a lie.

Just kidding.

Just kidding, I'm not kidding.

I'm only kidding, I'm just joking.

If this has begun to piss you off please refer to the first message for guidance.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 1:26:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/4/2013 1:20:15 PM, Inquisitive wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:45:36 PM, Team_Atheism wrote:
(Team Captain: bladerunner060) (Poster: bladerunner060)


Okay, so Kinesis is the first "Official" member of Team_Atheism, for being the first to explictly say "Yes"!

I'll be happy to join. Is there an initiation test?

Sort of, except you had passed already while you were posting this!

For everyone else's reference: anyone who wants to be on the team can message me, and I'll message everyone who's on the team so far so they can vote. Right now it's simple majority, though we may all decide to change that when there's more than 4 of us.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
natoast
Posts: 204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 4:55:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have another question. It seems like this team would only be a one time thing, as in we would group into two teams for the one atheism/theism debate and then it would be over with, until the next team debate, where we would form new teams. Is this what you had in mind?
Also, I think that when someone mentioned 5 person limits that they had more of a large number of permanent teams idea in mind, as in the same 4 or 5 people would stick together in a variety of topics against other teams.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.