Jump to topic:

Democracy in America

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 5:38:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The purpose of this post isn't to so much start a discussion, as it is to reflect on where we are as a country. I've made other posts like this, but the reason that this one is different is because I'm making it as I reflect on my time and continued presence on this site. I'm not saying that I'm going to close my account, so much as I'm saying -- similar to what I discussed in the hangout last night -- that this site isn't doing for me what it used to. It hasn't for a while, but the recent site errors have confirmed (albeit involuntarily) that my life is better without DDO.

It would be naive and unreasonable for me to suggest that what I see on DDO is reflective of America at large, but I think the analytical abilities of the kids on DDO is generally probably representative of the best-case scenario of most on both the right and the left (even if those on the left are a minority by numerical measurement alone). But, I'm basing my conclusions on the interactions I've had with younger people on and off DDO from about the age of 16 to people in their mid 30s.

When considering the state of Democracy in America, the only real factor that matters is the electorate. More specifically, the decisions that the American people themselves make, and why. There aren't really simple explanations to why American voters do what they do, believe what they believe, or trust who they trust. There's a number of factors that would be in play anywhere in the spectrum. But, i'm not really interested in talking about them in this context. Rather, I'm talking about what I see going on around me, and something that I've seen developing for a while.

It's always been the case that Americans have had free speech rights, but the nature of the speech any particular American has had access to has changed radically even in the last four years. There was once a time where the majority of the furthest right voices were limited to Laura Ingrham and Rush Limbaugh on talk radio. For the more learned among the right, there were the National Review and the Weekly Standard. For the less learned, there was Glen Beck. But that was the limit. Breitbart wasn't a household name, and Alex Jones wasn't even talked about in civilized society (even though now he's become so relevant that disgraced journalist Megyn Kelly in her infinite wisdom decided that hosting the Sandy Hook denying conspiracy theorist was a fitting thing to do).

There's a concept that is so significant, Glen Beck (who I don't dislike, if you were wondering, even though his politics and mine do not align) wrote a book about it called The Overton Window. The Overton Window, as a concept (not the novel) refers to the range of ideas that the public will accept as reasonable.

The idea came from a guy named, predictably, Joseph Overton, to describe how the public at large will respond to particular political ideas depending on where it fell on the a scale ranging from, at the furthest end "unthinkable" to squarely within the window of "viable policy." Between "unthinkable" and "policy" were "radical," "acceptable," "sensible," and "popular." The right and the left have their own scales, the convergence of left-policy, and right-policy is whatever present-day centrist politics are. In the 90s, that was Bill Clinton's third way policies, for example.

So, if we're plotting the change of American ideological and political history with respect to popularly held views in the country, the window moves as time changes. Most of the ideas remain basically the same, even if novel circumstances change the specific language used to describe them. When people talk about things being "on the fringe" they're referring to "radical" or "unthinkable" ideas that are outside the "Overton Window." But it's not just ideas that fit within the Overton Window. It's "methods of political engagement" like how presidents drive media narratives, what is or isn't acceptable conduct for the holder of a political office, which opinions are taken seriously and which are not, and the like.

For example, not being "presidential" (without taking the time to enumerate specifically what that means) used to be disqualifying. When Michael Dukakis presented himself in what was one of the most poorly planned political photo-ops in the history of this country, he struck out in being "presidential." Bill Clinton's sexual infidelity was nearly enough when the Republicans were out of power. Now, Trump can routinely disgrace himself and the office he holds by use of Twitter, pick fights with reporters, and engage generally (and unapologeticaly) in the most vile acts of misogyny and do so with the assurance that at least some Trump supporters will rush to his defense and blame, for example, Mika Brezenski, for invoking his rage.

What's acceptable in the media has changed, too. Even in 2001, after September 11th happened, those who invented conspiracy theories and referred to themselves as 9/11 "truthers" were properly relegated to the furthest outer periphery of society. People knew enough about the difference between what was reasonable and what was not reasonable to identify those who believed things like that as mentally or emotionally disturbed, or profoundly gullible and stupid. Those who oriented media resources to the efforts of these people would have never even been welcome in the same room as other respected media outlets, much less the white house press core. In the present, sandy-hook denying conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has white house press credentials.

Even the president himself routinely lies to the American people, and a substantial portion of the public believe it or are indifferent to it. Trump lied about his campaign promises (quite literally, nearly every single one of them). Trump has lied about creating jobs. He's misrepresented (intentionally) the Carrier deal. He's changed positions on nearly everything he's spoken on, and has proven himself to be chronically unreliable if not mentally unstable based on the sheer oscillation of his policy positions alone. On the campaign trail, he said that "we're going to repeal, and replace Obamacare" and it's going to be "nearly instantaneous" and "within the same hour." Now, he's saying "repeal, and then maybe in the future replace" Obamacare. His mind changes with the blowing wind, or, according to his advisers, based on the last person he spoke to.

The problem is that where there used to be an Overton Window, with defined parameters of what is reasonable and what is not for a range of different ideas and concepts, in the present, those walls have been shattered. Anything goes, now. The facts (for example, the fact that global climate change is happening) doesn't matter (and it's perfectly acceptable for the government to delete climate data from the internet). The truth is a matter of perception, not reality. Any objective fact that conflicts with what Trump and his supporters want to believe is written off by them as "liberal bias" or some other specious representation.

In breaking down the barrier between what is reasonable and what is not, the "anything goes" effect is dangerous for the future of American democracy. In the past, even if voters didn't have particularly good reasons for believing what they did or for voting for one party over another -- regardless of their personal interests or political beliefs -- there wasn't a risk that the man they elected would destroy the office or the institution of democracy in America. Public servants had a level of respect for the office they sought that prevented even the worst of them (e.g., Nixon) from disgracing the office they held even if they disgraced themselves. Nixon resigned, after all.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 6:01:45 PM
But Trump is different. What he does is create so much chaos and confusion that people don't know what to make of what's going on in front of them. There are no objective facts in the Trump presidency. It's just "whatever the last guy said" or "the dear leader's mood, at any given time" that is the arbiter of what was, is, and always will be -- until of course the wind blows in the opposite direction. The result is that the people who like Trump see in him what they want to see, and ignore everything else. The way that Trump positions himself as the sort of "perpetual victim of liberal media bias" reinforces that narrative, as well.

Example: Trump picking a fight with Mika Brezenski, saying that her face was bleeding as she recovered from plastic surgery at a New Years' Eve party which Trump claimed they sought invitations to. What he said was beyond false and vile, but the media response to that bit of distraction was swift and severe. Although Trump got what he wanted there, too. What Trump wanted was to use this fake news story which he created for the purpose of distracting from the very real threat to American public welfare as reflected by the CBO report on the senate health care proposal, and to distract from the equally real revelation that one of Mike Flynn's associates on the Trump Campaign, named Peter Smith (who has since died) bragged about trying to obtain the emails which Russian hackers stole from Clinton servers for the purpose of revealing embarrassing information about Hillary Clinton before election day.

Trump wins with his base when he's talking about Mika Brezenski, both because of the direct and indirect effects of doing that. Directly, he invites the severe condemnation of all civilized people which reinforces his base's belief that he is "at war" with "the media" who are "the real opposition party." Indirectly, he distracts the electorate at large from the fact that there is now clear proof of Trump campaign related contacts with Russians with respect to Hillary Clinton's emails, and from the damnably bad impact that the Republican health care "plan" would have on Americans at large. Trump doesn't even pretend to engage in the substance either of the increasingly strong evidence that he and or members of his campaign directly colluded with the Russians to improperly and illegally affect the outcome of the 2016 presidential election, though.

Instead, he obstructs the very investigation to determine whether he or any of his campaign people did that to any extent possible, while gaslighting the American people into believing that (1) Republican Robert Mueller who is leading the investigation is horribly "conflicted" and "should resign," (2) the Russian investigation is "fake news," (3) that he didn't fire Comey for not "seeing [his] way" to "let[ting] this Russia thing go," (4) there was no collusion whatsoever between his campaign and Russians of any kind, (5) that he has no significant connections to Russia, (6) Russia did not try influence the outcome of the 2016 election, and (7) even though Russia didn't try to influence the outcome of the 2016 election, in fact Russia did try and it is Barack Obama's fault for not doing enough to stop it. Despite the internal contradictions there, his supporters believe every claim there. Trump doesn't even bother to keep his lies straight. He just makes up another one whenever he gets caught in the lies from before.

The way things are going, he very well may get re-elected. There is no indication that his supporters are even aware enough of their surroundings to consider that the dear leader might be lying to them, or that he might not have their best interest at heart. They follow his lead with a level of uncritical Soviet-style mindlessness which, in tandem with the fact that the barriers between what's reasonable and what's not reasonable have been broken down, pave the way for Trump's bad behavior to get even worse and for him to be politically rewarded for it no matter what he does. I've seen people rush to his defense on here, and I've heard it elsewhere. People aren't thinking. They're following a pied piper, and no matter how disgusting his behavior gets and no matter how profoundly he lies to them, like battered wives they defend his actions. Frankly, I'm tired of even interacting with them. There is no reasoning with people like that, because the ideas in their head aren't held for reasonable reasons. I can't rationally show someone or persuade someone to see the clear error in how they're thinking about Trump because rationality does not overcome the kind of personality-cult allegiance these people have allowed themselves to become subsumed in.

And if this is how things are going to continue to be, dark days lay ahead for the future of this country, if it even has a future.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 9:14:31 PM
At 7/2/2017 6:07:47 PM, Devilry wrote:
lol.

I've already heard most of these arguments from watching CNN.
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 9:18:29 PM
Kill yourself lol.

How charming
Check your facts, not your privilege -- Christina Hoff Sommers

Trigger warning!! Trigger warning!! This is Ben Shapiro Thug Life. Trigger warning!! The Thug Life chose me. -- Ben Shapiro
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 9:19:56 PM
At 7/2/2017 9:18:29 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

I think I pull it off.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 9:57:44 PM
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

I find YYW's Russian drum beats amusing in the wake of the CNN nothingburger scandal.
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:02:42 PM
At 7/2/2017 9:57:44 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

I find YYW's Russian drum beats amusing in the wake of the CNN nothingburger scandal.

You mean Van Jones being highly quoted out of context with selective editing?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:30:43 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:02:42 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Sure, if that was the only part of the CNN nothingburger scandal.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:37:07 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:30:43 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Oh I know most of the parts

And it's hilarious that in order to show they are "fake news" people like you have to suspend critical thought, reasoning to show it.

But glad you agree that at least one part of the "scandal" is a fake intellectually dishonest misrepresentation.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:38:37 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:37:07 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

And it's hilarious that in order to show they are "fake news" people like you have to suspend critical thought, reasoning to show it.

But glad you agree that at least one part of the "scandal" is a fake intellectually dishonest misrepresentation.

Would you say YYW has a good argument that Trump is a Russian Traitor?
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:43:50 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:38:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Oh no!

I've touched a nerve and now Grey Parrot has to change the subject onto an irrelevant side track!

It must be because he just realized he admited that at least one part of the "scandal" is a fake intellectually dishonest misrepresentation!

TRIGGERED!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:44:46 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:43:50 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Oh no!

I've touched a nerve and now Grey Parrot has to change the subject onto an irrelevant side track!

It must be because he just realized he admited that at least one part of the "scandal" is a fake intellectually dishonest misrepresentation!

TRIGGERED!

Thanks for the Trolling instead of a response. We are all the more enlightened for your trolling.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:46:12 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:44:46 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Oh no!

TRIGGERED!

Thanks for the Trolling instead of a response. We are all the more enlightened for your trolling.

Seriously, if I had diverted the subject, you would have called me on it.

you just admited that at least one part of the "scandal" is a fake intellectually dishonest misrepresentation; and you are now desperately trying to change the subjectZ
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:47:25 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:46:12 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 7/2/2017 10:44:46 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Oh no!

TRIGGERED!

Did you even bother to to take the time to read the last part of YYW's post?
you just admited that at least one part of the "scandal" is a fake intellectually dishonest misrepresentation; and you are now desperately trying to change the subjectZ
Stop fatfingering the keyboard, we can halve a calm discussion.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 10:53:17 PM

If you want to be lazy, I can copy/paste the relevant parts of YYW's post if it might help you formulate a coherent response to a simple yes/no question.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:22:05 PM
At 7/2/2017 10:53:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

If you want to be lazy, I can copy/paste the relevant parts of YYW's post if it might help you formulate a coherent response to a simple yes/no question.

No no. I have no further interest in this thread now.

You basically admitted part of the CNN controversy is based on intellectual dishonest, selective editing, etc.

You're not disagreeing, and realise you've been caught out, so are desperately trying to change the subject!

Im just going to keep mentioning what you just admitted until you have something valid or relevant to say.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:25:53 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:22:05 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Yah... not surprised, you rarely reply to anything I post with anything other than troll snipes.
You basically admitted part of the CNN controversy is based on intellectual dishonest, selective editing, etc.

Sure.
You're not disagreeing, and realise you've been caught out, so are desperately trying to change the subject!

Yeah, that's what I am doing when I ask your opinion on the relevant part of the OP.
Sure.
I'm just going to keep mentioning what you just admitted until you have something valid or relevant to say.
Whatever makes you happy.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:29:45 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:25:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Yah... not surprised, you rarely reply to anything I post with anything other than troll snipes.

Sure.

Yeah, that's what I am doing when I ask your opinion on the relevant part of the OP.
Sure.
I'm just going to keep mentioning what you just admitted until you have something valid or relevant to say.

Excellent.

So, you've admitted that conservative medias response to what Van Jones said is effectively "fake news"

Do you think the same thing about the project veritas video? Or the Three fired employees?

Or are you just going to try and change the subject to something unrelated in order to divert the argument away from you having to engage in your opinion?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:30:57 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:29:45 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Sure.

Sure.

Excellent.

So, you've admitted that conservative medias response to what Van Jones said is effectively "fake news"

Do you think the same thing about the project veritas video? Or the Three fired employees?

Or are you just going to try and change the subject to something unrelated in order to divert the argument away from you having to engage in your opinion?

I'll continue this discussion in a few hours after you have calmed down.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:33:31 PM
Yesterday I watched a video and had the misfortune of hearing Alex Jones speak.
He's got the stupidest voice, which combined with the stupid stuff he says ends up sounding almost surreal.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:37:56 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:30:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/2/2017 11:29:45 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Sure.

Sure.

Excellent.

I'll continue this discussion in a few hours after you have calmed down.

Oh boom! That insult was so original when I used in ten minutes ago in a thread when I pointed out you're primary tactic is regurgitating other people's arguments!

So I guess yeah, you're just going to change the subject.

Nice trolling though: make an incoherent and inflammatory post; do everything in your power to refuse to talk about it
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:44:46 PM
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Recall what we talked about last night. The pattern is the same. First, I write something. Second, grayparrot or someone else derails the thread before it even starts. Third, my OP is ignored. If I try to refocus the conversation, it's futile.

There is really nothing left for me here.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:46:37 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:44:46 PM, YYW wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Recall what we talked about last night. The pattern is the same. First, I write something. Second, grayparrot or someone else derails the thread before it even starts. Third, my OP is ignored. If I try to refocus the conversation, it's futile.

I didn't derail your thread. I just have issue with your "Trump is a Russian Traitor" argument.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:49:24 PM
Really, I guess I am to blame. I know the audience here and I know how they react to anything that suggests that the dear leader is anything other than the god-emperor come to save us all from the corrupt failing liberal agenda, and deliver us from CNN who he tweets videos of him slamming to the ground much in the same way that Ramzan Kadyrov abuses social media.

Moreover, I knew when I wrote this post that it would get this sort of a response, although I thought GrayParrot would be the first to derail the thread since he must stay at his computer 24/7 waiting for me to write something that he can derail. But, it looks like someone else beat him to the punch.

I honestly don't even see the point in bothering. DDO is going to be what it is, and there is obviously nothing I can do to change it. This is just hard to accept... which is why I haven't broken ties yet. That time's coming though.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:52:21 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:46:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

I didn't derail your thread. I just have issue with your "Trump is a Russian Traitor" argument.

Unfortunately, you didn't actually point out (nor ever do) what he said that was wrong and why.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:52:36 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:49:24 PM, YYW wrote:
I thought GrayParrot would be the first to derail the thread since he must stay at his computer 24/7 waiting for me to write something that he can derail.

Why would you think taking issue with your "Trump is a Traitor colluding with Russians" is derailing your thread?

Are you looking for an echo chamber? Anything else is a derailment?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:53:25 PM
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Every single post you make in every single thread you have ever commented on is garbage, and this is no exception. You also did derail my thread, after it had already been derailed by badger who, frankly, surprisingly beat you to the punch. You're dropping the ball.

I don't even know why I allow myself to be in the same company as you all. It's plain and clear that you have no interest in discussing anything in good faith. The only thing you want to do is post meme-ish one liners in response to things that other people have done. It's like you glean some perverse level of satisfaction in playing these pedestrian games on here.

You and I have nothing in common. But, you have a lot more in common with the others on this site than I do. That's sad. Whether it's thett, romanii, Skep, Dylan, Bossy, or whoever... it's not even personal with you lot. It's that I'm just tired of seeing it and I don't see the point in even bothering anymore.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:56:03 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:52:36 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/2/2017 11:49:24 PM, YYW wrote:
I thought GrayParrot would be the first to derail the thread since he must stay at his computer 24/7 waiting for me to write something that he can derail.

Why would you think taking issue with your "Trump is a Traitor colluding with Russians" is derailing your thread?

Are you looking for an echo chamber? Anything else is a derailment?

Please point out the detailed refutation of his position you've made here, and other places.

All I see is vague trolling non replies
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2017 11:56:37 PM
At 7/2/2017 11:53:25 PM, YYW wrote:
Kill yourself lol.

How charming

Every single post you make in every single thread you have ever commented on is garbage, and this is no exception. You also did derail my thread, after it had already been derailed by badger who, frankly, surprisingly beat you to the punch. You're dropping the ball.
I really want to know specifically what I said that you construe as "derailing"

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.