Jump to topic:

Is Trump a conservative or a liberal?

SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:16:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Part of me believes that Donald Trump is a New York liberal. Another part of me thinks that he's a conservative. I go back and forth on this. Here's the evidence that he's a liberal:
1) In April, despite previously having rebuked her, he said that he liked Janet Yellen, who is definitely a leftist, and even said that he might renominate her as Fed Chair(fortune.com/2017/04/13/donald-trump-janet-yellen-3/).
2) He appointed Steve Mnuchin as Secretary of the Treasury. Mnuchin doesn't seem to support an audit of the Fed (money.cnn.com/2017/01/25/investing/mnuchin-audit-fed-trump/index.html). Mnuchin called the debt ceiling "a ridiculous concept." (money.cnn.com/2017/03/24/news/economy/debt-limit-treasury-secretary/index.html) Mnuchin used to work for George Soros (newsweek.com/five-things-know-about-treasury-pick-steven-mnuchin-526893).
2) Despite being skeptical about whether it would work, he said that "it would be better if [TARP] passed." (politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/sep/15/club-growth/did-donald-trump-support-wall-street-bailout-club-/)
3) He's supported single-payer healthcare before.(politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/jul/24/erick-erickson/conservative-columnist-trump-once-backed-single-pa/) As recently as 2016, he praised the ACA's individual mandate. (weeklystandard.com/trump-i-like-obamacares-individual-mandate/article/2001172) And his healthcare proposals as president have been... weird (for lack of a better term). Sure, they repeal the individual mandate, but they replace it with something that amounts to the same thing, so that defeats the whole purpose of repealing it.
4) He withdrew the USA from the TPP (cnn.com/2017/01/23/politics/trump-tpp-things-to-know/index.html).
5) In 1999, he said that he wouldn't ban partial-birth abortion (nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/trump-in-1999-i-am-very-pro-choice-480297539914).
6) In 2000, he said that he supported an assault weapons ban (theintercept.com/2016/01/27/donald-trump-in-2000-i-support-the-ban-on-assault-weapons/). In 2016, he said that he supported prohibiting people on the No Fly List from buying guns (reason.com/blog/2016/06/15/no-fly-list-no-guns-trump-agrees-with-ob).
7) He once wrote, "you're the best" to Nancy Pelosi (politico.com/story/2011/04/primary-problem-trump-praised-pelosi-as-the-best-052651).
8) He once proposed enacting the largest tax hike in American history (politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/sep/02/jeb-bush/did-donald-trump-propose-biggest-tax-hike-history-/).
9) He's given money to Chuck Schumer, Andrew Cuomo, and Eliot Spitzer (theblaze.com/news/2016/11/17/trump-has-donated-more-to-chuck-schumer-than-to-any-other-senator/, nationalreview.com/article/432444/donald-trump-donated-democrats-crooks).
Here's the evidence that he's a conservative:
1) He appointed Neil Gorsuch as a SCOTUS Justice. There is no doubt that Gorsuch is highly right-wing; he's more right-wing than his predecessor, the late Antonin Scalia (nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/31/us/politics/trump-supreme-court-nominee.html).
2) He took the USA out of the Paris climate agreement (nytimes.com/2017/06/01/climate/trump-paris-climate-agreement.html).
3) He reinstated the global gag rule (slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/trump_s_global_gag_rule_is_even_worse_than_it_seemed.html).
4) He rescinded protections for transgender students in public schools (time.com/4679063/donald-trump-transgender-bathroom/).

What do you guys think? Is he a conservative or a liberal? Or neither?
"Real patriotism is a willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong." -Ron Paul
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:35:36 AM
At 7/9/2017 1:16:49 AM, SirMaximus wrote:

Why does it matter?
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:36:39 AM
I don't think Trump stands for much of anything other than helping the wealthy make more money. That said, I think he understands that he won the election as a right wing populist, so he'll act like one at least on a superficial level. He'll keep pushing to limit immigration, cut environmental regulation, and give health insurance companies more power to keep the right wing as happy as possible.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:42:02 AM
At 7/9/2017 1:36:39 AM, brycef wrote:
I don't think Trump stands for much of anything other than helping the wealthy make more money.
Seeing as most of the wealthy donated to Hillary Clinton, this is a false claim. If it was true, he did a horrible job of convincing rich people during the campaign.
That said, I think he understands that he won the election as a right wing populist, so he'll act like one at least on a superficial level. He'll keep pushing to limit immigration, cut environmental regulation, and give health insurance companies more power to keep the right wing as happy as possible.
Don't forget the wall.
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:49:06 AM
At 7/9/2017 1:35:36 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Why does it matter?
I guess it doesn't really matter; I'm just curious. I like finding out whatever the truth is, and currently, I'm struggling with that. There's a lot of evidence that he's a liberal, but there's a lot of evidence that he's a conservative. I just want to know.
"Real patriotism is a willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong." -Ron Paul
no1special
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:53:55 AM
Trump is an opportunist, but base don his views before the election I would say he is liberal/dgaf socially and conservative economically.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:55:42 AM
At 7/9/2017 1:49:06 AM, SirMaximus wrote:

Why does it matter?
I guess it doesn't really matter; I'm just curious. I like finding out whatever the truth is, and currently, I'm struggling with that. There's a lot of evidence that he's a liberal, but there's a lot of evidence that he's a conservative. I just want to know.

I'm just asking why these labels are important?

Is one label evil and the other label good?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 2:01:34 AM
His campaigns were primarily centered around populism but Trump doesn't really have any definable politics--he's definitely not a 'liberal' in the economic sense, but you could say he has some social liberal viewpoints, and yeah; he's non-religious.
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 2:07:38 AM
At 7/9/2017 1:55:42 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/9/2017 1:49:06 AM, SirMaximus wrote:

Why does it matter?

I'm just asking why these labels are important?

Is one label evil and the other label good?
I don't believe that one label is evil and the other good; I'm just asking this question for curiosity's sake.
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 2:09:53 AM
At 7/9/2017 2:01:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
His campaigns were primarily centered around populism but Trump doesn't really have any definable politics--he's definitely not a 'liberal' in the economic sense, but you could say he has some social liberal viewpoints, and yeah; he's non-religious.
What does him being non-religious have to do with whether he's a liberal or a conservative?
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 2:10:56 AM
At 7/9/2017 2:03:42 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Basically he's a dirty capitalist b@stard.
Forcing Apple to build their products in the USA doesn't sound very capitalist to me (cnbc.com/2016/01/19/trump-apple-should-build-their-damn-things-in-us.html).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 2:37:43 AM
At 7/9/2017 2:03:42 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Basically he's a dirty capitalist b@stard.

Yeah, I don't know why he just doesn't steal from the rich like everyone else.
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 2:52:20 AM
At 7/9/2017 1:42:02 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I don't think Trump stands for much of anything other than helping the wealthy make more money.
Seeing as most of the wealthy donated to Hillary Clinton, this is a false claim. If it was true, he did a horrible job of convincing rich people during the campaign.
That said, I think he understands that he won the election as a right wing populist, so he'll act like one at least on a superficial level. He'll keep pushing to limit immigration, cut environmental regulation, and give health insurance companies more power to keep the right wing as happy as possible.
Don't forget the wall.

It is true, and he did do a bad job of convincing them. Rich donors thought Clinton would be a more stable, reliable candidate. They saw Trump as unreliable and unpredictable. Just because Clinton is corrupt, doesn't mean Trump isn't. Now Trump is cutting programs that help the working and middle classes, cutting environmental regulations, and effectively doing whatever he can to help corporate interests. He's just as corrupt as anyone.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 3:03:31 AM
At 7/9/2017 2:52:20 AM, brycef wrote:
Don't forget the wall.

It is true, and he did do a bad job of convincing them. Rich donors thought Clinton would be a more stable, reliable candidate. They saw Trump as unreliable and unpredictable. Just because Clinton is corrupt, doesn't mean Trump isn't. Now Trump is cutting programs that help the working and middle classes, cutting environmental regulations, and effectively doing whatever he can to help corporate interests. He's just as corrupt as anyone.

Well either he is an idiot or the other rich people in the country are idiots. Either way, I guess that's a good thing.
no1special
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 3:35:53 AM
At 7/9/2017 3:03:31 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Don't forget the wall.

Well either he is an idiot or the other rich people in the country are idiots. Either way, I guess that's a good thing.

False dichotomy.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 3:54:02 AM
At 7/9/2017 3:35:53 AM, no1special wrote:
At 7/9/2017 3:03:31 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Don't forget the wall.

False dichotomy.

Correct.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 9:28:17 AM
At 7/9/2017 2:09:53 AM, SirMaximus wrote:
What does him being non-religious have to do with whether he's a liberal or a conservative?

In the U.S, Conservative (or rather, republican) politicians have a long history of proclaiming to be religious.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:09:43 PM
He is a liberal, and just hammered on border security so he would look like a conservative, since Democrats are for open borders. He is also not an ideologue, he is just "whatever works" unlike any politician we've had before which is why he is hated by both conservatives (who don't know grand strategy and how to apply it, and liberals (who are too idealistic to see he is making the country better)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:17:14 PM
Don't forget the wall.

It is true, and he did do a bad job of convincing them. Rich donors thought Clinton would be a more stable, reliable candidate. They saw Trump as unreliable and unpredictable. Just because Clinton is corrupt, doesn't mean Trump isn't. Now Trump is cutting programs that help the working and middle classes,

You should study economics, that is not the effect of cutting any of the programs you are probably referring to. Really just study some economics, it is tempting to believe what you see on CNN blindly without doing research, but you should avoid the temptation.

cutting environmental regulations,

Yep, which do nothing to protect the environment. We usually export our manufacturing to countries who do not have environmental regulations, so we cause more pollution by keeping those regulations in place. You should actually research this. Sometimes CNN says misleading things

and effectively doing whatever he can to help corporate interests. He's just as corrupt as anyone.

Yes, helping business is a good thing. If we hurt businesses than we hurt the economy. Massive layoffs and economic stagnation is bad. You should research things before discussing them
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 1:20:06 PM
At 7/9/2017 9:28:17 AM, Emilrose wrote:

In the U.S, Conservative (or rather, republican) politicians have a long history of proclaiming to be religious.

You have to. Studies show people are less likely to vote for an atheist than somebody of the opposing party. The difference is that the DNC actually hold classes for their politicians teaching them how to fake being religious. It is a pretty shady organization between that and the emails that hackers helped expose.
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 5:02:15 PM

That's a good point. But why do you think that he's non-religious anyway?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 5:56:00 PM
At 7/9/2017 5:02:15 PM, SirMaximus wrote:

Well, I wouldn't say he's an atheist as such but there appears to be an overall indifference to religion-where as your usual republican (like Ted Cruz, for example) is generally more consistent with showing some kind of ideological leaning towards religion.
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 6:02:41 PM
At 7/9/2017 1:17:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
Don't forget the wall.

It is true, and he did do a bad job of convincing them. Rich donors thought Clinton would be a more stable, reliable candidate. They saw Trump as unreliable and unpredictable. Just because Clinton is corrupt, doesn't mean Trump isn't. Now Trump is cutting programs that help the working and middle classes,

You should study economics, that is not the effect of cutting any of the programs you are probably referring to. Really just study some economics, it is tempting to believe what you see on CNN blindly without doing research, but you should avoid the temptation.

cutting environmental regulations,

Yep, which do nothing to protect the environment. We usually export our manufacturing to countries who do not have environmental regulations, so we cause more pollution by keeping those regulations in place. You should actually research this. Sometimes CNN says misleading things

and effectively doing whatever he can to help corporate interests. He's just as corrupt as anyone.

Yes, helping business is a good thing. If we hurt businesses than we hurt the economy. Massive layoffs and economic stagnation is bad. You should research things before discussing them

You're literally just baselessly grandstanding here. I don't follow CNN, and it's ironic that you're making that accusation since you're clearly just blindly parroting out what you've gotten from sites like Breitbart. I have a master's in foreign policy, and part of that is economics. The news sources I follow are Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Reuters.

Your third point is absurd. Trickle down economics don't work, nor have they ever.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 6:36:47 PM
Part of the problem with trying to sort out Trump is that he doesn't fit within the boundaries set by the conventional identifiers. In addition to being on all sides of all issues, he's repeatedly changed his mind at least two or three times on most of the issues he's spoken about. The only real conclusion here is that he isn't ideological.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 7:18:03 PM
At 7/9/2017 1:17:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
Don't forget the wall.

This is a pretty good article from the biased rag NYT...
https://www.nytimes.com...
It kind of touches on some of the reasons why the Democratic party is the now party of the rich, especially with new tech industries. If you ever followed net-neutrality regulations, you would see that it was a clear grab to make web content providers like Google the monopoly handlers of sensitive private information. That's right, the Dems were the party to prop up the rich off the backs of the common folk, and Google and Facebook paid big bucks for the rights to be that monopoly.

The sad thing is there's major factions in both parties that push the monopoly-regulation funding game, creating regulations like net-neutrality. You can count on your fingers the amount of people in Congress regarding the healthcare debate pushing for more insurance competition and less insurance monopolies. Trump is one of those.

I asked brycef some leading questions to figure out what his positions was, and he had the typical dogmatic line that "rich people find Hillary and the DNC more "stable" for rich people." How that doesn't translate into the party of the rich off the backs of the average guy is clearly the product of institutional propaganda at the academic level, as was evidenced when brycef raced to show off his papers and pedigree from one of those institutions.

Trump fights an uphill battle against these factions in both parties. God save the poor working man from the cadillac conservatives and limousine liberals.
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 7:37:12 PM
At 7/9/2017 7:18:03 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I asked brycef some leading questions to figure out what his positions was, and he had the typical dogmatic line that "rich people find Hillary and the DNC more "stable" for rich people." How that doesn't translate into the party of the rich off the backs of the average guy is clearly the product of institutional propaganda at the academic level, as was evidenced when brycef raced to show off his papers and pedigree from one of those institutions.
That isn't a dogmatic line. I was admitting Clinton's corporate corruption, it's obvious that she favors the donor class. Trump also tried to curry favor with corporate donors, and now he's doing plenty to help them. But they did favor Clinton because she was bought off long ago. The Democratic establishment is obviously corrupt and supportive of corporate interests, but so is the Republican Party. The only reason I brought up my education is because he told me I needed to do "research" and educate myself, which is ridiculous. And now you're accusing me of being brainwashed by academia, which is even more absurd. My entire position is against corporate corruption, which is the opposite of what supposed academic bias should be. You're just throwing random insults at me because you're a moron, probably because you're insecure about your own shortcomings. But keep on making random assumptions about me, idiot.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 7:41:10 PM
At 7/9/2017 7:37:12 PM, brycef wrote:
At 7/9/2017 7:18:03 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

That isn't a dogmatic line. I was admitting Clinton's corporate corruption, it's obvious that she favors the donor class. Trump also tried to curry favor with corporate donors, and now he's doing plenty to help them. But they did favor Clinton because she was bought off long ago. The Democratic establishment is obviously corrupt and supportive of corporate interests, but so is the Republican Party. The only reason I brought up my education is because he told me I needed to do "research" and educate myself, which is ridiculous. And now you're accusing me of being brainwashed by academia, which is even more absurd. My entire position is against corporate corruption, which is the opposite of what supposed academic bias should be. You're just throwing random insults at me because you're a moron, probably because you're insecure about your own shortcomings. But keep on making random assumptions about me, idiot.

I wasn't addressing you, so you had no obligation to respond.... amusing as your response was.
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 7:44:15 PM
At 7/9/2017 7:41:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I wasn't addressing you, so you had no obligation to respond.... amusing as your response was.

You were talking about me, and you made up a bunch of baseless accusations. And now you're telling me I should't respond? Are you really this stupid?
SirMaximus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2017 8:51:33 PM
At 7/9/2017 5:56:00 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/9/2017 5:02:15 PM, SirMaximus wrote:

Well, I wouldn't say he's an atheist as such but there appears to be an overall indifference to religion-where as your usual republican (like Ted Cruz, for example) is generally more consistent with showing some kind of ideological leaning towards religion.
True.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.