2018 Government Shutdown

Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 5:28:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So from what I gathered:
Earlier either this year or late last year, President Trump repealed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), an executive order passed by President Obama which protected illegal immigrants who were brought to the United States as young children, the so-called "Dreamers", from deportation, and told Congress to come up with a fix for the" Dreamer Problem".
After some drama last year which put it off, now comes the time where either Congress agrees to fund the government, pass a bill funding it temporarily, or let the government shut down.
The GOP, as the party which controls the House by a comfortably large margin and the Senate by one vote, proposed a bill which, if passed, would presumably the government funded through FY2018. This bill did not include a legislative fix for the DACA, and so the Democrats have rejected it. At this time, immigration is an unusually heated issue, in the aftermath of President Trump's alleged comments disparaging Haiti and African countries, and after the story broke of a man being deported after 30 years in the US.
Negotiations have failed. The House passed another stopgap funding bill, but the democrats in the Senate shut it down quite handily, as it would've required 60 votes to pass. As such, with no bill being passed to keep the US Federal Government funded, a shutdown will probably commence, for the first time since late 2013.

During the shutdown, services such as the military, the police, foreign embassies, the US Postal Service, Medicare and Social Security will remain in operation. Federal parks, monuments and museums will be closed. Many, perhaps most, federal employees will be sent on unpaid leave for the duration of the shutdown.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 5:35:28 AM
Polling has shown that more Americans blame President Trump and the Republican Party for the shutdown than the Democrats, meaning that the Dems have strong incentive to keep it up until the GOP capitulates.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 6:04:18 AM
At 1/20/2018 5:35:28 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
Polling has shown that more Americans blame President Trump and the Republican Party for the shutdown than the Democrats, meaning that the Dems have strong incentive to keep it up until the GOP capitulates.

It doesn't matter if the Congress gives up. Trump isn't going to cave into that nonsense, polls be damned.
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 6:17:19 AM

Also, it's clear that if this can be stopped by 40 senators that the Republicans do not have the physical supermajority to avert a shutdown. Also, Congressional Dems have no balls on any issue, and Trump knows it. Schumer's posse is nowhere near the Gingrich's ratpack that actually had the sack to shut the government down over an actual meaningful issue, namely, balancing the budget. Daca isn't even a budgetary issue. If Americans are too stupid to figure this out, then democracy is dead.
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
Nd2400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 7:27:42 AM
At 1/20/2018 6:17:19 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Also, it's clear that if this can be stopped by 40 senators that the Republicans do not have the physical supermajority to avert a shutdown. Also, Congressional Dems have no balls on any issue, and Trump knows it. Schumer's posse is nowhere near the Gingrich's ratpack that actually had the sack to shut the government down over an actual meaningful issue, namely, balancing the budget. Daca isn't even a budgetary issue. If Americans are too stupid to figure this out, then democracy is dead.

Hey keep an eye out on this debate
http://www.debate.org...
Can you believe i'm fighting for trump?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 8:21:44 AM
At 1/20/2018 7:27:42 AM, Nd2400 wrote:
At 1/20/2018 6:17:19 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Hey keep an eye out on this debate
http://www.debate.org...
Can you believe i'm fighting for trump?

Even Bill Maher knows he will win. Incumbents have a huge advantage.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 3:41:53 PM

DACA Is Unconstitutional, as Obama Admitted
https://www.heritage.org...
did Trump repeal or it just didn't extend it and let it expire as it was meant to?

Yes the dems priority is illegals and not citizens, that's not new news.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
Inconvenient_Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 4:23:13 PM
I believe that the majority of citizens will blame the Democrats over the Republicans, for many of the reasons that Greyparrot outlined. Also, I believe in the past the main blame fell on the Congress (54% according to a Washington Post poll) during the last shutdown, instead of Obama. It seems like the media is hitting hard on blaming Trump mainly, and he does seem like an easy scape-goat as an highly inexperienced president. However, DACA is a very strange sword to fall on for the Democrats, and I really don't think most American's will understand. Also, I think the main message from the shutdown is going to be controlled by President, especially in the age of Twitter.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 4:42:23 PM
'The Democrats are shutting down the government because they are a minority party and want to make the majority look bad. The exact opposite happened in 2013 almost to the day. They know the press will beat up Republicans for it. They know the press will hyperventilate for ratings. A government shutdown means absolutely nothing. The essentials are funded, the military is funded, entitlement checks like social security are still funded, etc. When they "reopen" the government they retroactively fund everything. Both sides are manipulating public opinion by creating a fake crisis because it's an election year. It's all a ruse to get people that don"t follow politics daily to hate a certain side. FAKE NEWS.'
Inconvenient_Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 4:55:14 PM
At 1/20/2018 4:42:23 PM, Danielle wrote:
'The Democrats are shutting down the government because they are a minority party and want to make the majority look bad. The exact opposite happened in 2013 almost to the day. They know the press will beat up Republicans for it. They know the press will hyperventilate for ratings. A government shutdown means absolutely nothing. The essentials are funded, the military is funded, entitlement checks like social security are still funded, etc. When they "reopen" the government they retroactively fund everything. Both sides are manipulating public opinion by creating a fake crisis because it's an election year. It's all a ruse to get people that don"t follow politics daily to hate a certain side. FAKE NEWS.'

I'm a government employee. I'm on unpaid furlough until further notice, now. My student loans and my mortgage will not be on furlough. If the furlough lasts longer than a few weeks, I will be getting a bill from my medical insurance asking for me to pay the owed premiums. I'm not guaranteed to get back-pay. I doubt that a government shutdown means absolutely nothing to everyone.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 4:55:54 PM
Government shutdown? I wish my job told me I didn't have to work for 16 days and then gave me a check for full pay at the end of my vacation lol
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 5:12:59 PM
At 1/20/2018 4:55:54 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Government shutdown? I wish my job told me I didn't have to work for 16 days and then gave me a check for full pay at the end of my vacation lol

lol, right?
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 6:20:29 PM
At 1/20/2018 4:42:23 PM, Danielle wrote:

Is this a quote from somebody? Surely this wasn't one of Trump's tweets?
Nd2400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 7:06:41 PM
I will agree on this side. It's just over hyped. Nothing will comes form this. Just one side trying to make the other side look bad. But i will say this if this last longer like over 30 days it will be major problems. Mostly for the government employees, and it could crate trouble for wall street. So it still important to know what will happen if this continue. I highly doubt it will. But it could.
Falkman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 8:50:49 PM
What else do you expect from Congress? It's basically the largest house of prostitution in the USA.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 5:53:03 AM
What Trump should do:
1. Demand funding for the wall. Threaten to veto any proposal that doesn't include funding for the wall.
2. While no agreement has yet been passed, begin deporting "Dreamers" like there is no tomorrow.
3. Meet in private with Republicans to coordinate their actions.
4. End the shutdown, protect the "Dreamers" from deportation, build the wall.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 5:57:58 AM
At 1/21/2018 5:53:03 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
What Trump should do:
1. Demand funding for the wall. Threaten to veto any proposal that doesn't include funding for the wall.
2. While no agreement has yet been passed, begin deporting "Dreamers" like there is no tomorrow.

At this point, they're gonna blame Trump and the GOP for the shutdown anyway. So playing hardball probably won't hurt much more than the simple fact of the shutdown already has and will. Deporting "Dreamers" won't make Trump look any more like an evil racist than his enemies already perceive him to be. But getting funding for the wall will get the Trump base enthusiastic for the 2018 midterms and help limit the degree to which the GOP loses seats in the House and Senate then.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 6:07:32 AM
What Trump should do:

lol...this is NOT going to be included in the budgetary bill.

Besides, Trump already knows he is going to get funding for his wall anyway around March. He predictably wants to use DACA to make it a permanent funding over 20 years instead of 1 billion per year funding that the Dems know can be used as a cudgel during future elections.... "look at all the gaps in the wall!"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 6:09:29 AM
At 1/21/2018 5:57:58 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
What Trump should do:

At this point, they're gonna blame Trump and the GOP for the shutdown anyway. So playing hardball probably won't hurt much more than the simple fact of the shutdown already has and will. Deporting "Dreamers" won't make Trump look any more like an evil racist than his enemies already perceive him to be. But getting funding for the wall will get the Trump base enthusiastic for the 2018 midterms and help limit the degree to which the GOP loses seats in the House and Senate then.

Trump's been called a racist before. His answer is to create jobs for minorities and get rid of illegals that stifle minority wages. People have short memories.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 6:20:32 AM
At 1/21/2018 6:09:29 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/21/2018 5:57:58 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
What Trump should do:

Trump's been called a racist before. His answer is to create jobs for minorities and get rid of illegals that stifle minority wages. People have short memories.

The president has changed. The common denominator has not.
Inconvenient_Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 7:50:26 AM
I don't think Trump and the Republicans want to deport "Dreamers". They just want the program to be fixed. They feel that the program created unconstitutionally.

"There can be no path to principled immigration reform if the executive branch is able to rewrite or nullify federal laws at will" - Trump

When Trump rescinded the program he gave it a 6 month phase-out, which ends in March. That seems like enough time to get the program through congress, but apparently the Democrats haven't been able to complete that task. If the "Dreamers" have until March, why shutdown the government now? Why not vote to extend the deadline to February, as the Republicans wanted? Democrats are playing hardball and my prediction is that it will backfire.
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 8:36:37 AM
What Trump should do:
5. Grope and fire himself.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 3:50:21 PM
At 1/21/2018 7:50:26 AM, Inconvenient_Truth wrote:
I don't think Trump and the Republicans want to deport "Dreamers". They just want the program to be fixed. They feel that the program created unconstitutionally.

"There can be no path to principled immigration reform if the executive branch is able to rewrite or nullify federal laws at will" - Trump

When Trump rescinded the program he gave it a 6 month phase-out, which ends in March. That seems like enough time to get the program through congress, but apparently the Democrats haven't been able to complete that task. If the "Dreamers" have until March, why shutdown the government now? Why not vote to extend the deadline to February, as the Republicans wanted? Democrats are playing hardball and my prediction is that it will backfire.

With regards to DACA they could have fixed it during Obama, but chose not to, I wonder why if the thought of them being deported brings tears to their eyes. Afaik it was always set to expire until someone chooses not to kick the can down the road, apparently the buck stops here. They clearly see a disadvantage with solving this DACA problem. Imo they believe they will vote democrat as long as there's a threat of deportation. Once that threat is gone one way or another their voter base will be greatly diminished so they never want it solved and want those people in limbo for ever.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 3:55:50 PM
At 1/22/2018 3:50:21 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

With regards to DACA they could have fixed it during Obama, but chose not to, I wonder why if the thought of them being deported brings tears to their eyes. Afaik it was always set to expire until someone chooses not to kick the can down the road, apparently the buck stops here. They clearly see a disadvantage with solving this DACA problem. Imo they believe they will vote democrat as long as there's a threat of deportation. Once that threat is gone one way or another their voter base will be greatly diminished so they never want it solved and want those people in limbo for ever.

Corporate america pays politicians to keep DACA in limbo. When DACA gets passed by Trump, the slave wages for illegal labor will vanish. Depressed wages for the poor and minority AMERICANS will vanish as well.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 4:01:19 PM
At 1/22/2018 3:55:50 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Corporate america pays politicians to keep DACA in limbo. When DACA gets passed by Trump, the slave wages for illegal labor will vanish. Depressed wages for the poor and minority AMERICANS will vanish as well.

true, though we can't underestimate the political benefits to the democrats either.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 4:09:10 PM
At 1/22/2018 4:01:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

true, though we can't underestimate the political benefits to the democrats either.

DACA is also going to destroy democrats politically. There's no more carrot for the other 10 million undocumented migrants. They essentially played favorites by pitting the privileged DACA group versus the other 10 million illegal aliens. That's not how you solidify a base. Recently, Pelosi was shut down at a press conference by some very, very angry illegals who realize that the democrats have no carrots left.
http://www.youtube.com...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 4:38:58 PM
At 1/22/2018 4:09:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/22/2018 4:01:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

DACA is also going to destroy democrats politically. There's no more carrot for the other 10 million undocumented migrants. They essentially played favorites by pitting the privileged DACA group versus the other 10 million illegal aliens. That's not how you solidify a base. Recently, Pelosi was shut down at a press conference by some very, very angry illegals who realize that the democrats have no carrots left.
http://www.youtube.com...

hhmm that's a very interesting thought, after all the democrats are not the party of jobs and lower taxes.....
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 7:06:44 PM
hahahahahaha the Democrats really disgraced themselves over this shutdown ordeal. There was never any good reason to include DACA in the budget deal. DACA has nothing to do with government spending, and it was already assumed that comprehensive immigration reform would be the next item on the Congressional agenda. Not only did they shut down the government for no reason, but then they capitulated within 3 days, changing absolutely nothing about anything. It was all a totally inconsequential hissy fit.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.