Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Ask a Progressive

Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 7:03:29 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I'm doing another one of these. So feel free to ask me any questions about Progressivism, however I only represent my own views.

Troll questions will be ignored.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 7:08:36 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Can black people be racist?

How much room is there to show greater concern for men's rights? Men's lagging educational prospects? Is there any part of the MRM that you agree with?

What is the most important issue facing America and American society?

Who would you most favor for President in 2020? And if ability to win was not an issue?

Is racial inequality more important than economic inequality?
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 9:25:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 7:08:36 PM, Swagnarok wrote:

Can black people be racist?

Yes.

How much room is there to show greater concern for men's rights? Men's lagging educational prospects? Is there any part of the MRM that you agree with?

Sure. Divorce that disproportionately favors women, circumcision, men being the more disposable labor gender etc - these are all things that can be talked about. But in terms of inequalities - the deficits of men's issues do not take away for the need of that struggle for women - to which men should also join.

Real feminists recognize that men have social problems too and need help. But neckbeards/incel/mgtow eople who blame feminism for not getting laid or the downfall of society are full of crap.

What is the most important issue facing America and American society?

At this very moment the Mueller investigation. We need to get rid of both Trump and Pence in a single move and the Mueller investigation may do that. Or at least 2 years of Pence is tolerable with a Bernie win after.

Climate change and ocean pollution are the most threatening things to the world and by extension the US.

But I'd say the over arching biggest problem is our refusal as a people and government to acknowledge the mass wealth inequality and racism in the US has consequences. The intense fear and distaste for anything perceived as "socialism" has blinded us to the extreme negatives of unregulated capitalism.

Who would you most favor for President in 2020? And if ability to win was not an issue?

Bernie Sanders, and I think he has the ability to win.

Is racial inequality more important than economic inequality?

I think they are closely linked. They are both important.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
DeBellumSilens
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 10:08:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Do you see your movement evolving from one that represented the working class into one that represents only nonwhite, nonstraight, nonmale, and nonbinary people?

How do you feel about it?
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 10:31:16 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:05:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/17/2018 9:25:00 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Do you think healthcare is a universal right?

As much so as universal K-12 education is. It is in the very interest of the nation to foster the strong mind and body of the citizen. Access to healthcare and education regardless of personal economic status enable these freedoms.

Are you familiar with the Norman Rockwell paintings "Freedom From ..."?
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 10:33:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:08:00 PM, DeBellumSilens wrote:
Do you see your movement evolving from one that represented the working class into one that represents only nonwhite, nonstraight, nonmale, and nonbinary people?

How do you feel about it?

Detractors would like to paint the progressive movement as being anti-straight white male. But that is their caricature, not a fact. Bernie Sanders is a straight white male fighting for the working class. So long as men like him and women like Ocasio win elections I think the movement will evolve to suit the 99%.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
DeBellumSilens
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 10:41:16 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:33:32 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Detractors would like to paint the progressive movement as being anti-straight white male. But that is their caricature, not a fact. Bernie Sanders is a straight white male fighting for the working class. So long as men like him and women like Ocasio win elections I think the movement will evolve to suit the 99%.

I was an adult during the Bush years, and even that recently I remember that liberalism wasn't so hyperfocused on race, gender, sexuality, etc, then as it is now. Those are the only talking points that seem to matter anymore - to the base, that is, not necessarily to the politicians' speech-writers. I don't think this is a process that's complete; the left hasn't yet completely abandoned the common good. But it's definitely happening. I was left wing during Bush. To a leftist 10 years younger than me I seem right wing. My politics didn't change.

As for Bernie, I think he can win, would have won the last election if he'd got the chance - but don't tell me you don't notice him pandering to any minority group he can any chance he gets. He's a rich old white guy with his finger on the pulse of his base. He knows which way the wind is blowing. If you don't make identity politics your platform on the left, you don't stand a chance against someone who does. And the right is catching up. It's a mess. I wish both of them would just drop group identity and get back to seeing people as human beings.
Danielle
Posts: 26,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 10:55:56 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:31:16 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
It is in the very interest of the nation to foster the strong mind and body of the citizen.

Do you think rights are predicated on interest? I'm asking because I don't think anyone disagrees with your statement, but some people disagree that healthcare is a right. Do you think healthcare is a universal right?
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 10:58:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:41:16 PM, DeBellumSilens wrote:
At 7/17/2018 10:33:32 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Detractors would like to paint the progressive movement as being anti-straight white male. But that is their caricature, not a fact. Bernie Sanders is a straight white male fighting for the working class. So long as men like him and women like Ocasio win elections I think the movement will evolve to suit the 99%.

I was an adult during the Bush years, and even that recently I remember that liberalism wasn't so hyperfocused on race, gender, sexuality, etc, then as it is now. Those are the only talking points that seem to matter anymore - to the base, that is, not necessarily to the politicians' speech-writers. I don't think this is a process that's complete; the left hasn't yet completely abandoned the common good. But it's definitely happening. I was left wing during Bush. To a leftist 10 years younger than me I seem right wing. My politics didn't change.

Just because race relations have become a more relevant issue today compared to the Clinton and Bush years does not mean it's a plot to destroy straight white men - nor does it mean that wasn't wasn't an important issue back then - it was just less focused on besides race riots and OJ.

As for Bernie, I think he can win, would have won the last election if he'd got the chance - but don't tell me you don't notice him pandering to any minority group he can any chance he gets.

Sanders problem was that he couldn't get minorities to support him during the primary - so yea as you put it "pandering" to them for support makes sense.

He's a rich old white guy with his finger on the pulse of his base. He knows which way the wind is blowing. If you don't make identity politics your platform on the left, you don't stand a chance against someone who does.

Bernie Sanders was standing up for civil rights and pointing out wealth inequality decades before he became one of the poorest Senators in Washington. He's not a progressive out of a fear that the people will include him on the chopping block.

And the right is catching up. It's a mess. I wish both of them would just drop group identity and get back to seeing people as human beings.

The right is catching up? Are you kidding me? The right owns the religious right and the southern strategy - an identity far older than SJW progressives or black power/separatists. It was white playing identity politics when they cursed at MLK and denied blacks their rights. The left is now catching up and asserting that minority identities are just as good as the white identity. That refusal to acquiesce by women and minorities is seen as an aggressive act by those who would normally get their way unquestioned.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
Devilry
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 11:03:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:05:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/17/2018 9:25:00 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Do you think healthcare is a universal right?

There's no society ever going to work that just lets people to illness. Universal healthcare legitimises everything else. So long as you have your health, let the wealth and power to the next man. If not, revolt.

Honestly, I just wonder that anyone could even question universal healthcare, it seems a special sort of sick. I mean, what for? Because it might cost less for you? Of some misguided philosophical conviction? I mean, I dunno. I don't much fancy a world filled back up with lepers again. I'm happy enough that everyone is looked after. I don't see much benefit that they shouldn't be. I mean let alone that it's absolutely in my interest that the human race isn't just an absolute breeding ground for horrible diseases.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 11:08:17 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:55:56 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/17/2018 10:31:16 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
It is in the very interest of the nation to foster the strong mind and body of the citizen.

Do you think rights are predicated on interest? I'm asking because I don't think anyone disagrees with your statement, but some people disagree that healthcare is a right. Do you think healthcare is a universal right?

I think if we both want a satisfying answer to your question "Do you think healthcare is a universal right?" we must first establish what a right is and what underpins its legitimacy as something to believe ought to exist.

I thought I made it obvious that if we should consider education a right we should also consider healthcare a right. But to answer your first question in this response about predication: No I don't think rights are necessarily predicated on state interest - but if state interest aligns with human/societal interest it would be so. In fact are not all actions done out of interest of some kind?
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
DeBellumSilens
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2018 11:16:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 10:58:52 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Just because race relations have become a more relevant issue today compared to the Clinton and Bush years does not mean it's a plot to destroy straight white men - nor does it mean that wasn't wasn't an important issue back then - it was just less focused on besides race riots and OJ.

1) It hasn't become more relevant, just more publicised.
2) I have not claimed anything about a plot to destroy white men and I don't believe there is one. Re-read what I said carefully. I'm talking about the changes on the left as I see them. I'm not accusing them of hating straight white men or whatever else you're used to having to argue against. I'm only saying the words you actually read on your screen.

Sanders problem was that he couldn't get minorities to support him during the primary - so yea as you put it "pandering" to them for support makes sense.

Of course it makes tactical sense, it's just wrong. Individual humans are not their group identities. Identitarian politics is always poison.

The right is catching up? Are you kidding me? The right owns the religious right and the southern strategy - an identity far older than SJW progressives or black power/separatists. It was white playing identity politics when they cursed at MLK and denied blacks their rights. The left is now catching up and asserting that minority identities are just as good as the white identity. That refusal to acquiesce by women and minorities is seen as an aggressive act by those who would normally get their way unquestioned.

I'm not kidding you. I mean the rise of the alt-right, but maybe I should have specified. White nationalism is not attractive in Western culture. Hasn't been since WW2 for obvious reasons. How is it becoming attractive again? Their numbers really are swelling - what do they feel they need to mobilise against? And to be very clear, I think the alt-right are ethno-centric totalitarian pooheads.

I just also think the modern progressive left needs to shoulder some blame for making the most repulsive ideology in our culture appealing to a lot of young people. I don't believe for a second that stacks and stacks of secret racists suddenly felt 'emboldened by Trump'. Non-racists are being turned racist by the ethno-centric totalitarian pooheads on the left.

If you hyperfocus on some group identities, people who don't fit them won't feel represented. They'll gravitate to whomever they think does represent them. Sadly today, for many white people, even smart ones, that's the alt-right. Happened to a friend of mine as he became disillusioned with progressivism (which he was a devout proponent of previously).

I'm not just some conservative bashing your movement. I'm a former liberal whose team has lost its mind, and is causing more harm than good now.
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 1:33:18 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 11:16:43 PM, DeBellumSilens wrote:
At 7/17/2018 10:58:52 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
Just because race relations have become a more relevant issue today compared to the Clinton and Bush years does not mean it's a plot to destroy straight white men - nor does it mean that wasn't wasn't an important issue back then - it was just less focused on besides race riots and OJ.

1) It hasn't become more relevant, just more publicised.

As it should have be more widely publicized instead of the opposite message of super predators that Clinton used to justify unfair 'tough on crime' bills.

2) I have not claimed anything about a plot to destroy white men and I don't believe there is one. Re-read what I said carefully. I'm talking about the changes on the left as I see them. I'm not accusing them of hating straight white men or whatever else you're used to having to argue against. I'm only saying the words you actually read on your screen.

Okie dokie then.

Sanders problem was that he couldn't get minorities to support him during the primary - so yea as you put it "pandering" to them for support makes sense.

Of course it makes tactical sense, it's just wrong. Individual humans are not their group identities. Identitarian politics is always poison.

How is it wrong to appeal to voters? You want farmers to vote for you appeal to farming issues, you want rich people or conservatives or liberals to vote for you you must appeal to issues they care about - why is it so wrong when race is the group? If a racial group feels marginalized what's wrong with appealing to their needs?

It's an act of identity politics to care about other candidates reaching out to other races for support. If you don't care about identity why would you care if another group is getting more representation and having their needs addressed?

The right is catching up? Are you kidding me? The right owns the religious right and the southern strategy - an identity far older than SJW progressives or black power/separatists. It was white playing identity politics when they cursed at MLK and denied blacks their rights. The left is now catching up and asserting that minority identities are just as good as the white identity. That refusal to acquiesce by women and minorities is seen as an aggressive act by those who would normally get their way unquestioned.

I'm not kidding you. I mean the rise of the alt-right, but maybe I should have specified. White nationalism is not attractive in Western culture. Hasn't been since WW2 for obvious reasons. How is it becoming attractive again? Their numbers really are swelling - what do they feel they need to mobilise against? And to be very clear, I think the alt-right are ethno-centric totalitarian pooheads.

Yes well the idea the modern alt right appeal to have existed long before the modern feminist. The reactionary white identity is one of the oldest American identities.

I just also think the modern progressive left needs to shoulder some blame for making the most repulsive ideology in our culture appealing to a lot of young people. I don't believe for a second that stacks and stacks of secret racists suddenly felt 'emboldened by Trump'. Non-racists are being turned racist by the ethno-centric totalitarian pooheads on the left.

By this logic we should blame Hillary for Trumps victory. Not progressives. And there's no excuse, including blaming progressives, for believing a strawman. Earlier you said you wern't accusing progressivie of being anti-white but now you're blaming ethnocentric leftists. Keep your criticism straight. As I said multiple times the racists of America exists before the modern feminist SJW - the racists of America didn't believe Trumps lies about Obama because some pink haird fat chick said she hates men.

If you hyperfocus on some group identities, people who don't fit them won't feel represented. They'll gravitate to whomever they think does represent them. Sadly today, for many white people, even smart ones, that's the alt-right. Happened to a friend of mine as he became disillusioned with progressivism (which he was a devout proponent of previously).

Then your friend sounds like an ideological philistine who gravitates towards political characters rather than political philosophy.

I'm not just some conservative bashing your movement. I'm a former liberal whose team has lost its mind, and is causing more harm than good now.

Well that's a discussion for Republicans to have why the chose Trump over 7 other candidates. The insanity of the current GOP is what allows Progressives to gain more of a following because the centrists aren't standing up to Trump.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
YYW
Posts: 44,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 1:38:28 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 7:03:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
I'm doing another one of these. So feel free to ask me any questions about Progressivism, however I only represent my own views.

Troll questions will be ignored.

Do you know who Masha Gessen is, and if so, what is your opinion of her?
Greyparrot
Posts: 21,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 1:44:16 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 7:03:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
I'm doing another one of these. So feel free to ask me any questions about Progressivism, however I only represent my own views.

Troll questions will be ignored.

Should people who provide more beneficial high demand services to society like doctors, bankers and lawyers be taxed at a higher rate than a fast food worker?

Why?
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 1:52:24 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 1:38:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/17/2018 7:03:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
I'm doing another one of these. So feel free to ask me any questions about Progressivism, however I only represent my own views.

Troll questions will be ignored.

Do you know who Masha Gessen is, and if so, what is your opinion of her?

No the name does not ring a bell. Where would I know her from?
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
YYW
Posts: 44,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 1:54:42 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 1:52:24 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:38:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/17/2018 7:03:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
I'm doing another one of these. So feel free to ask me any questions about Progressivism, however I only represent my own views.

Troll questions will be ignored.

Do you know who Masha Gessen is, and if so, what is your opinion of her?

No the name does not ring a bell. Where would I know her from?

She is a frequent commenter on MSNBC, she is a noted author of various books (all of which I highly recommend), and she is regarded as "Public Enemy Number One" in Putin's Russia, because she and her wife have dared to call out the totalitarianism of Putin's Russia.
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 2:00:20 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 1:44:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Should people who provide more beneficial high demand services to society like doctors, bankers and lawyers be taxed at a higher rate than a fast food worker?

For earnings over a certain amount yes the rate should go higher as is the current progressive tax system. Fast food workers probably won't break the first income bracket and if they do they will be taxed equally as the rich profession, and the rich will be taxed according to the bracket.

Why? Because that's where the money is. The 1% already pays like what? 75% of the taxes already? That number may be off but i know it's high - the rich have the money, the masses do not. Yes that is a problem with a shrinking middle class but it's not being solved by a collection of billionaires getting tax cuts.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 2:09:37 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 1:54:42 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:52:24 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:38:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/17/2018 7:03:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
I'm doing another one of these. So feel free to ask me any questions about Progressivism, however I only represent my own views.

Troll questions will be ignored.

Do you know who Masha Gessen is, and if so, what is your opinion of her?

No the name does not ring a bell. Where would I know her from?

She is a frequent commenter on MSNBC, she is a noted author of various books (all of which I highly recommend), and she is regarded as "Public Enemy Number One" in Putin's Russia, because she and her wife have dared to call out the totalitarianism of Putin's Russia.

Well that sounds agreeable. What first got me interested in post soviet Russia was the death of Litveniko and lots of journalists. It's a mafia state.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
Greyparrot
Posts: 21,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 2:14:11 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 2:00:20 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:44:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Should people who provide more beneficial high demand services to society like doctors, bankers and lawyers be taxed at a higher rate than a fast food worker?

For earnings over a certain amount yes the rate should go higher as is the current progressive tax system. Fast food workers probably won't break the first income bracket and if they do they will be taxed equally as the rich profession, and the rich will be taxed according to the bracket.

Why? Because that's where the money is. The 1% already pays like what? 75% of the taxes already? That number may be off but i know it's high - the rich have the money, the masses do not. Yes that is a problem with a shrinking middle class but it's not being solved by a collection of billionaires getting tax cuts.

Isn't that counterproductive for providing scarce services to the poor? If a doctor is penalized for being productive, he might have less competition for his services, meaning he can charge more as the supply of doctors is artificially lowered with the penalties of progressive taxes. Wouldn't you want to actually do the opposite? That is: subsidize doctors so that there will be more of them in the market, lowering the price they would charge for their services as they compete with other doctors, so that the poor can afford a doctor instead of having to either wait months for a bad cheap doctor or pay through the nose to see a good doctor asap?
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
YYW
Posts: 44,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 2:15:46 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 2:09:37 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:54:42 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:52:24 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:38:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/17/2018 7:03:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
I'm doing another one of these. So feel free to ask me any questions about Progressivism, however I only represent my own views.

Troll questions will be ignored.

Do you know who Masha Gessen is, and if so, what is your opinion of her?

No the name does not ring a bell. Where would I know her from?

She is a frequent commenter on MSNBC, she is a noted author of various books (all of which I highly recommend), and she is regarded as "Public Enemy Number One" in Putin's Russia, because she and her wife have dared to call out the totalitarianism of Putin's Russia.

Well that sounds agreeable. What first got me interested in post soviet Russia was the death of Litveniko and lots of journalists. It's a mafia state.

When searching Russia stuff, I suggest you use, at the very least, a VPN.

Masha Gessen's book on Putin, The Man Without a Face, is bar none the best biography on Putin that has ever been done. It is also one of the few that are accurate.

If you are interested in Russia stuff, feel free to PM me. I have a pretty good idea of how deep the rabbit hole goes. We can discuss that via PM.
thett3
Posts: 15,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 2:23:58 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/17/2018 11:16:43 PM, DeBellumSilens wrote:

I just also think the modern progressive left needs to shoulder some blame for making the most repulsive ideology in our culture appealing to a lot of young people. I don't believe for a second that stacks and stacks of secret racists suddenly felt 'emboldened by Trump'. Non-racists are being turned racist by the ethno-centric totalitarian pooheads on the left.

If you hyperfocus on some group identities, people who don't fit them won't feel represented. They'll gravitate to whomever they think does represent them. Sadly today, for many white people, even smart ones, that's the alt-right. Happened to a friend of mine as he became disillusioned with progressivism (which he was a devout proponent of previously).

I'm not just some conservative bashing your movement. I'm a former liberal whose team has lost its mind, and is causing more harm than good now.

This is entirely true. I'm not alt right although I do hold views on race that some people would call racist (Bennett for example has called me a Nazi before after learning about my views on diversity)

I grew up in a very diverse area of Texas and had lot of friends of different races and religions. I now fully intend on doing everything in my power to make sure my kids are NOT raised in an environment like this...self segregation. My views are ENTIRELY a reaction to the left and their open disdain for white people.

Watching those same friends talk about how much they hated white people (a group that included me and all my family) as a white person was an extremely alienating experience and set me down the path I'm on today. I probably could've tolerated that but around the times the black lives matter riots started and were justified by the left on racial grounds I began to actually fear the left and what they would do to people like me if they had the chance. It led me to the point I'm at now where I would give anything to stop mass immigration. Anything.

I don't hate anyone, but when the left gives other groups the incentive to attack me and mine, I side with myself. It's a perfectly natural and healthy reaction, and as you point out it's why the "alt right" is growing. Search "white people" or "white men" on twitter and read some of the things leftists say. Most self respecting people are going to be alienated by that kind of rhetoric
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 3:23:59 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 2:14:11 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/18/2018 2:00:20 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/18/2018 1:44:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Should people who provide more beneficial high demand services to society like doctors, bankers and lawyers be taxed at a higher rate than a fast food worker?

For earnings over a certain amount yes the rate should go higher as is the current progressive tax system. Fast food workers probably won't break the first income bracket and if they do they will be taxed equally as the rich profession, and the rich will be taxed according to the bracket.

Why? Because that's where the money is. The 1% already pays like what? 75% of the taxes already? That number may be off but i know it's high - the rich have the money, the masses do not. Yes that is a problem with a shrinking middle class but it's not being solved by a collection of billionaires getting tax cuts.

Isn't that counterproductive for providing scarce services to the poor? If a doctor is penalized for being productive, he might have less competition for his services, meaning he can charge more as the supply of doctors is artificially lowered with the penalties of progressive taxes. Wouldn't you want to actually do the opposite? That is: subsidize doctors so that there will be more of them in the market, lowering the price they would charge for their services as they compete with other doctors, so that the poor can afford a doctor instead of having to either wait months for a bad cheap doctor or pay through the nose to see a good doctor asap?

What you're describing, subsidizing doctors, is a form socialized medicine. I was thinking that government employees should be taxed like everyone else. It's not taxes on the rich that makes being a doctor expensive, it's the schooling and loan debt.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 3:24:57 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 2:15:46 AM, YYW wrote:

When searching Russia stuff, I suggest you use, at the very least, a VPN.

I've been told I should get a VPN but I havn't bothered.

Masha Gessen's book on Putin, The Man Without a Face, is bar none the best biography on Putin that has ever been done. It is also one of the few that are accurate.

If you are interested in Russia stuff, feel free to PM me. I have a pretty good idea of how deep the rabbit hole goes. We can discuss that via PM.

Sure.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
YYW
Posts: 44,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 3:25:47 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 3:24:57 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/18/2018 2:15:46 AM, YYW wrote:

When searching Russia stuff, I suggest you use, at the very least, a VPN.

I've been told I should get a VPN but I havn't bothered.

You should. Not just any VPN. Get a paid one. They're like 3 bucks a month.
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 3:34:15 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 2:23:58 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 7/17/2018 11:16:43 PM, DeBellumSilens wrote:

I just also think the modern progressive left needs to shoulder some blame for making the most repulsive ideology in our culture appealing to a lot of young people. I don't believe for a second that stacks and stacks of secret racists suddenly felt 'emboldened by Trump'. Non-racists are being turned racist by the ethno-centric totalitarian pooheads on the left.

If you hyperfocus on some group identities, people who don't fit them won't feel represented. They'll gravitate to whomever they think does represent them. Sadly today, for many white people, even smart ones, that's the alt-right. Happened to a friend of mine as he became disillusioned with progressivism (which he was a devout proponent of previously).

I'm not just some conservative bashing your movement. I'm a former liberal whose team has lost its mind, and is causing more harm than good now.


This is entirely true. I'm not alt right although I do hold views on race that some people would call racist (Bennett for example has called me a Nazi before after learning about my views on diversity)

I'd say you are alt right, and the jury is out on the racism. I've seen you say your favorite speech in which the guy predicts blacks will soon hold the whip to punish the white man, this was in the 60's (during the time when MLK was a SJW).

I grew up in a very diverse area of Texas and had lot of friends of different races and religions. I now fully intend on doing everything in my power to make sure my kids are NOT raised in an environment like this...self segregation. My views are ENTIRELY a reaction to the left and their open disdain for white people.

There are 3 problems with this outlook - you actually support self segregation - and if your views are a reaction to the left (by definition reactionary) it really means you don't have a tenable political philosophy to posit on your own. And 3rd its based on te strawman that the left hates white people. You people think merely advancing civil rights is an act of racism against whites.

Watching those same friends talk about how much they hated white people (a group that included me and all my family) as a white person was an extremely alienating experience and set me down the path I'm on today. I probably could've tolerated that but around the times the black lives matter riots started and were justified by the left on racial grounds I began to actually fear the left and what they would do to people like me if they had the chance. It led me to the point I'm at now where I would give anything to stop mass immigration. Anything.

So instead of listening to their greivences - who ever these anti-white people where - you took it personally and have decided you don't care? You fear violence? That how minorities already felt living among racist whites.

I don't hate anyone, but when the left gives other groups the incentive to attack me and mine, I side with myself. It's a perfectly natural and healthy reaction, and as you point out it's why the "alt right" is growing. Search "white people" or "white men" on twitter and read some of the things leftists say. Most self respecting people are going to be alienated by that kind of rhetoric

Doubling down on a false premise is not the logical action to take. Read what conservatives say about blacks and trans people on twitter - I'm sure you don't support that language yet that brand of extremism doesn't seem to push you to the left.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]
Bennett91
Posts: 8,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2018 4:00:38 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 7/18/2018 2:14:11 AM, Greyparrot wrote:


Also it's pretty obvious that the high salary of doctor would be a higher incentive to do the job, even with higher taxes. But even most doctors are poor compared to the 1%.
The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [][]