Jump to topic:

Woman Imprisoned For Having Literature

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 1:03:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"Curious readers beware: in the British police state, merely possessing a copy of the supposed al-Qaeda magazine Inspire will get you a twelve month stint in the hoosegow.

Begum"s conviction and incarceration set a dangerous precedent people can now be sent to prison for merely having literature on their computers and cell phones.

Inspire: A Magazine Produced by a Pentagon Dinner Guest. Inspire is said to be the work of Anwar al-Awlaki, the"Pentagon dinner guest who"worked for the FBI."

-- http://www.infowars.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 1:19:26 PM
I'm unsurprised. In a democratic society, where the people are sovereign (and in which the state is charged immediately with their care), all the little security things that it uses to keep them safe eventually have to turn to internal threats, and, often, to potential internal threats--an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, amirite?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 2:17:16 PM
I guess there's such a thing as being too concise. What I meant was, I think the sentence passed was wrong and I agree with Geo. Sorry for making you waste two paragraphs of your time dude. :P
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 2:20:05 PM
This is nothing new.

Though, I don't know what Info Wars is trying to pull by calling it a "supposed" Al Qaeda magazine. It's a straight-up terrorist instruction manual.

It is a terrible thing, though.
Grand Poobah of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 2:30:59 PM
At 12/10/2012 2:20:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
This is nothing

Though, I don't know what Info Wars is trying to pull by calling it a "supposed" Al Qaeda magazine. It's a straight-up terrorist instruction manual.

Terrorism isn't just designated to only Al Queda. However they admitted it was a magazine by Al-CIAda operative, Anwar Alwaki.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 3:25:48 PM
At 12/10/2012 1:03:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"Curious readers beware: in the British police state, merely possessing a copy of the supposed al-Qaeda magazine Inspire will get you a twelve month stint in the hoosegow.

Begum"s conviction and incarceration set a dangerous precedent people can now be sent to prison for merely having literature on their computers and cell phones.

Inspire: A Magazine Produced by a Pentagon Dinner Guest. Inspire is said to be the work of Anwar al-Awlaki, the"Pentagon dinner guest who"worked for the FBI."

-- http://www.infowars.com...

Facts are fun to spin.

So, it is believed that Inspire is an Al-Queda publication. So, if one has a subscription, they are giving money to this organization. Isn't that illegal to do? Is she not giving aid to an enemy organization? The fact that she is receiving something in exchange (even if it is knowledge) actually makes it worse in the eyes of the law.

So, it is a truthful statement to say that she was jailed because she possessed literature, but it would be misleading. What was the charge she was guilty of?

Now, if there is no charge for this literature, a case could still be made that popularity of a website/article gives credence/aid to the organization. This is a harder sell, but, as I have said before, infowars is not an objective news source (no naming of charge, no stating if material cost anything, implying the judge didn't want to convict). In fact, there is not one word that discusses the other side of the issue.
At least the noble sheep provides us warm sweaters. All your hides would provide are coward pants. - Dick Solomon

"I call albatross!" - seventhprofessor
Mr_Anon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 8:13:19 PM

False. Infowars is highly objective. One of the top accurate, well investigated unbiased sources. You claim theyre biased. Biased towards what? Theyre not left or right. Biased towards Liberty sure, you could say that.

Stop saying "false", as if it is objective fact, and then following up by repeating your own opinion.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 11:39:45 PM
I agree with Cody.
Except I think rather than put her in prison they should have kept an eye on her to lead to other people. But they probably don't have the man power.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.