1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:40:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Margaret Thatcher FTW!
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:45:11 PM
At 4/8/2013 4:17:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Now just in: hell to be privatized.

I'm sorry, but bad form.
I've been waiting for my whole life to grow old,
and now we never will, never will.

- CHVRCHES, "Graffiti"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 8:49:36 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:45:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm sorry, but bad form.

Like you really give a fuck about Margret Thatcher.

I'll make 9/11 jokes all day. And unless you actually lost someone in the WTC, you're just being a self-righteous prick to be offended by it.
Grand Poobah of DDO
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:09:05 PM
At 4/8/2013 8:49:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/8/2013 5:45:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm sorry, but bad form.

Like you really give a fuck about Margret Thatcher.

I'll make 9/11 jokes all day. And unless you actually lost someone in the WTC, you're just being a self-righteous prick to be offended by it.

I actually lost a cousin in 9/11, and nearly lost an uncle, so yeah. Shut up. Really easy to joke about something that didn't do sh!t to your family isn't it?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:19:13 PM
If that's true, then I apologize.

I would hope that you would understand there is no reason for me to assume that I would be talking to someone who has an actual reason to be offended by it. I have much more reason to assume that most people will find it funny. And that's what I like to give people.

I maintain that the taking offense to things, especially jokes, is, the vast majority of the time, the actual problem.
Grand Poobah of DDO
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:33:04 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:19:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I would hope that you would understand there is no reason for me to assume that I would be talking to someone who has an actual reason to be offended by it. I have much more reason to assume that most people will find it funny. And that's what I like to give people.

I maintain that the taking offense to things, especially jokes, is, the vast majority of the time, the actual problem.

Does it really matter if someone has a reason to take offense? If its funny its funny.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:35:06 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:33:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Does it really matter if someone has a reason to take offense? If its funny its funny.

Based on my personal sense of empathy, it does.
Grand Poobah of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:43:55 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:35:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/8/2013 9:33:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Based on my personal sense of empathy, it does.

Well at least you have this sense of empathy.

I'm curious, however--how far does this idea of being personally connected to the misfortune of others extend? Just curious. Does a Jewish person have a reason to be offended at Holocaust joke? Does a homo/bisexual have a reason to be offended at the saturation of gay jokes? Does a black person have a reason to be offended at jokes about lynchings?

PS: FREEDO, I'm not trying to use rhetoric above, or trying to judge--after all, I'm under the impression that we are friendly to one another usually. I'm legit curious. I apologize if I may be coming off as self-righteous or what have you. It's just that recently (if you saw my Personal post) I ended up having an experience where after essentially years of laughing off homosexual jokes/finding it funny that people get offended, it eventually boiled over into me being deeply offended by a single joke--I'm just kind of been rethinking my whole philosophy of thinking it's a problem when people get offended by jokes.

- CHVRCHES, "Graffiti"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:50:46 PM
There's no clear-cut way to layout. I'm admittedly acting out of emotional expression and not on some philosophical principle.

My basis being that, in general, I like to make people happy. And humor is my favorite way of doing that. And I find myself irritated when people are offended without actual personal reasons because it ruins an otherwise positive moment.
Grand Poobah of DDO
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:52:50 PM
I did overreact a bit, sorry for that. I just don't like being reminded of my counsin too much. I still think sometimes what he would be like if he were still alive.

But, regardless, I do understand where your comin from, but I would say that you have to be careful about your jokes. And too soon does apply. I don't mind as much as I did the day of 9/11, but I'm not a big fan of joking about people's death until at least a couple years have gone by. Not really a fan of it then, but at least the grieving is usually over.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:57:05 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:52:50 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I did overreact a bit, sorry for that. I just don't like being reminded of my counsin too much. I still think sometimes what he would be like if he were still alive.

But, regardless, I do understand where your comin from, but I would say that you have to be careful about your jokes. And too soon does apply. I don't mind as much as I did the day of 9/11, but I'm not a big fan of joking about people's death until at least a couple years have gone by. Not really a fan of it then, but at least the grieving is usually over.

I did overreact too. However, it wasn't really the fact that it was about her death that bothered me--it's just that the "hell" part kind of made it seem like we were just assuming she was a bad person.

- CHVRCHES, "Graffiti"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 10:01:45 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:50:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
There's no clear-cut way to layout. I'm admittedly acting out of emotional expression and not on some philosophical principle.

My basis being that, in general, I like to make people happy. And humor is my favorite way of doing that. And I find myself irritated when people are offended without actual personal reasons because it ruins an otherwise positive moment.

I don't see how its different, its like saying something offensive when the person is out earshot, its offensive whether they hear it or not. If its both funny and offensive, I don't think you can have it both ways either be offensive and funny or neither.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 10:03:30 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:57:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Assuming she was a bad person.

She was a politician.
Grand Poobah of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 1:27:14 AM
What's up with the Howard Stern comedy lately? Friendly rape and now this?
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.