Jump to topic:

***20l8 MIDTERM ELECTIONS COVERAGE***

Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2018 11:02:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, We're here at last. This thread is being posted one day beforehand but the early voter turnout is high enough to justify such; more than 30 million Americans have already headed to the polls.
Two years of blatant propaganda and mud-slinging by both sides have been leading up to this day. Who will win? Donald Trump's Republican Party? Or a Democratic Party that is determined to resist him and his agenda at all costs? Will Trump be impeached? If he's assured another 2 years, Will that be enough to make certain enemies (re: China, North Korea, And Iran) fold? Which party will select the next Supreme Court nominee? This is shaping out to be the most important midterm election of this decade.

I won't have a butt ton of free time today or tomorrow, But I'll do my best to provide live coverage of these events as they transpire. I would very much appreciate anybody stepping in to help with such. Depending on thread participation, I or somebody else might also create a separate thread for commentaries.
So without further ado, I give you the 2018 Midterm Elections.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2018 11:38:45 PM
Last minute polling has shown that Dems have a 7. 5 point lead over Republicans. It has been suggested that they'll need a roughly 7 point lead to take the House, Due to the way that the electoral map is drawn. Since Dem turnout is high, It seems likely that they will succeed in taking it this year.
In the Senate, On the other hand, The Dems face what has been called the most challenging race for any of the two major political parties ever. Most of the Senate seats up for grabs are currently blue. The Republicans could very well maintain control over the Senate, Or even increase their numerical majority there.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2018 11:46:47 PM
35 senate seats and all 435 house seats are holding elections. 9 Senate seats could flip blue, Whereas 26 Senate seats could flip red. 235 House seats could flip blue whereas 193 House seats could flip red.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 4:13:19 AM
It's a little past 10 PM now on Election Night, And it would appear that the Republicans are ahead of the Democrats in both Houses, Though not by a very substantive margin in the case of the House of Representatives, And the Democrats are clearly catching up as compared to what the tally was an hour or so ago. At this rate they could possibly overtake the Republicans soon enough, But at this point it is very well possible that the GOP will retain control of both Houses for the next two years, Though of course nothing's final yet.

Stay tuned for the final results.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 4:15:12 AM
With 60% of the votes counted, Ted Cruz is almost 3 points ahead of challenger Beto O'Rourke and thus projected to likely secure another 6 year term in the Senate. Again, Nothing's certain yet, And there's still ample opportunity for this race, Along with many others, To swing.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 5:07:18 AM
Dems have now taken a considerable lead in the House, Though the GOP is still ahead in the Senate.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 6:34:56 AM
The above having been stated, It would appear that the Dems' control of the House in the 116th Congress will not be as strong as that the GOP enjoyed during the present 115 Congress: in the House currently, The Dems have 193 seats, Whereas the GOP will likely end up with a number of seats higher than this.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 6:45:16 AM
Nonetheless, This new Congress will mark the first time since 2015 that the Dems have controlled one of the two houses, Bringing an end to the 4-year bicameral Republican rule.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 2:47:01 PM
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any final tally anywhere on the web. But suffice to say, Conventional wisdom won the day. There were few to no election upsets.
The Dems, Whose Speaker will likely be Nancy Pelosi, Will have the power to launch (sham) investigations of Trump and commence (sham) impeach proceedings against the President, Even though such would most certainly fail in the Senate. Trump has said that he might now be forced to take up a milder tone going forward.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 2:52:15 PM
Well, The power in politics usually tends to swing from one party to the other every election or other doesn't it? For USA modern politics I mean. I'm not sure what Whigs, War Hawk elections and so on were like. Though I imagine if 1812 war had gone really well, And wars after that really well, War hawks keep power successively.

Modern Americans simply divided on many subjects? Or less opportunity for the two parties to make obviously great to everyone accomplishments in short time?
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 3:42:06 PM
@Leaning What happened to Trump also happened to Reagan, Clinton, And Obama. Presidents generally lose big in their first midterm. This is neither unprecedented nor indicative of wide-scale dissatisfaction with the Trump administration.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2018 4:02:16 PM
Robert Mueller is expected to begin releasing the final results of his special counsel investigation soon.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.