Jump to topic:

The Founding Fathers predicted Trump

augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 5:17:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Founding Fathers had predicted a person like Trump coming into office; that's why they provided for an appointed President, NOT a popularly-elected one. Alexander Hamilton had indicated in the Federalist 68 that the appointment of electors by the State Legislatures was designed to create a buffer to absorb the temper and emotions of the people, which would provide a safeguard against persons trying to win over the people using lowly arts of trickery and demagoguery.

Second, and IMO, having a popularly-elected President only seeks to legitimize the increasing expansion of federal power. In an ideal world where the Federal Government plays only a small role as defined by Article I, Section 8, why would the President need to campaign to win votes? Or why should Congressmen be elected every two years? I understand the benefit of frequent rotation in office at the State level where the States exercise more powers.

I want forum members to ask themselves this: would you be willing support reforms to make the presidency an unelected and appointed office? I know that this is undemocratic and is more of a hypothetical; it's also true that this recent election has proven that democracy can create such resentment for the person elected, and an erosion of trust in the system.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.