Jump to topic:

The Intentions of the Founders

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2016 1:06:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
In the United States, many people still see the founders of our country as authorities not just on constitutional issues, but many other issues as well. People often attempt to co opt the founders beliefs and/or intentions for their own purposes, claiming that the founders beliefs align with their advocacy. This implores us to ask two questions:

1) Should we actually care what the founders have to say with regard to issues not pertaining to the constitution? Why/why not?

2) If we should care, do you think the founders would approve of our current society and/or government. Why/why not? If they wouldn't, what type of society/government did they envision us having? I'll answer first below
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2016 1:13:54 AM
1) Should we actually care what the founders have to say with regard to issues not pertaining to the constitution? Why/why not?

We should care. While we ought to build on the knowledge that they imparted on us, many of the ideas and values they drew on are timeless. They instituted a government and ideology in accordance with human nature, which never changes.

2) If we should care, do you think the founders would approve of our current society and/or government. Why/why not? If they wouldn't, what type of society/government did they envision us having?

I don't think they would, I will save the second part for later to spark further discussion.
augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2016 11:05:23 AM
At 12/21/2016 1:06:02 AM, Objectivity wrote:
In the United States, many people still see the founders of our country as authorities not just on constitutional issues, but many other issues as well. People often attempt to co opt the founders beliefs and/or intentions for their own purposes, claiming that the founders beliefs align with their advocacy. This implores us to ask two questions:

I think the views and opinions of the Founders should be considered. It's also true that many of the values to which they ascribed are no longer relevant and/or acceptable in our current society.

Also, the Founders often clarified or changed their views later in their lives. For example, I recently stumbled across a letter by James Madison. Madison said that the manner of choosing the electors (which is the same as it is today) was not what the Founders had envisioned. He stated that the electors were like 'a string of beads' and that at the time of the US Constitution, the 'district-mode' was exclusively agreed upon - i.e. each State would be divided into single-member districts, each returning one elector; and the districts were to be equal in size so as to prevent gerrymandering.

2) If we should care, do you think the founders would approve of our current society and/or government. Why/why not? If they wouldn't, what type of society/government did they envision us having? I'll answer first below

I don't think the Founders could've ever predicted the society we have now. I think they would've been gob-smacked by Donald Trump and recent win. In their minds no person running for such a distinguished office should conduct themselves they way that he did.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2016 2:28:06 PM
At 12/21/2016 1:06:02 AM, Objectivity wrote:

Well, it really is only constitutional matters that are important.
Their eating, entertainment, hobbies, etc, not so much.
The constitution pertains to personal liberty, and role of government in governing the citizens.
That covers quite a bit.

The FF envisioned a country led by prominent citizens who were successful in living their life, which primarily meant business persons.
A person would rise to success, then serve his country by assuming a leadership role as an elected civil servant for a brief period before returning to a status as common citizen.

I think the idea that there would be career politicians would be repugnant to them.
They would also favor persons who had close contact with other nations in their role as citizen.
Cubswin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2016 2:54:58 PM
The founding Fathers would be stunned and saddened to see USA today!

The Democratic party has morphed into home grown radical terrorism that is an immediate threat to the security of America. This liberal cult has festered worldwide into a cancerous, radical, demented globalist monster determined to destroy the Free World!

I am just going to come out and say it,... the Democratic Party is in bed with radical Islam! I see no distinction between the two. Someone tell me I am wrong,.. I don't see the difference! They both want to destroy white people!!!

Thank God grassroots America = the Sleeping Giant,.. woke up and won the popular vote for Trump! Finally,... we have a man like George Washington to kick butt = TRUMP!!!
Iacov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2016 3:04:09 PM
At 12/21/2016 2:54:58 PM, Cubswin wrote:

The Democratic party has morphed into home grown radical terrorism that is an immediate threat to the security of America. This liberal cult has festered worldwide into a cancerous, radical, demented globalist monster determined to destroy the Free World!

I am just going to come out and say it,... the Democratic Party is in bed with radical Islam! I see no distinction between the two. Someone tell me I am wrong,.. I don't see the difference! They both want to destroy white people!!!

Thank God grassroots America = the Sleeping Giant,.. woke up and won the popular vote for Trump! Finally,... we have a man like George Washington to kick butt = TRUMP!!!

You're wrong. The Democratic Party fights for exactly what the name suggest, a more democratic society now I don't personally agree with this and obviously the u.s. is not a democracy nor were we intended to be. Trump lost the popular vote.
Davery79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2016 5:39:25 PM
At 12/21/2016 3:04:09 PM, Iacov wrote:
At 12/21/2016 2:54:58 PM, Cubswin wrote:

You're wrong. The Democratic Party fights for exactly what the name suggest, a more democratic society now I don't personally agree with this and obviously the u.s. is not a democracy nor were we intended to be. Trump lost the popular vote.

They intended us to be a Constitutional Republic, which is what we are, and it just makes more sense that way. I'm sure they had expansion, population growth, and the future in mind when they did this. That being said, I don't think they would be happy with as much government intervention/oversight we have, and I don't think they would be happy with the global attitude.... but it was a different time. Some things outlined in the Constitution are timeless, but some are not, differentiating between the two would be a tough thing to do. Then there are amendments.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.