Jump to topic:

Theresa May's Brexit Strategy

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2017 11:23:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Today Theresa May made a speech where for the first time she outlined the 12 key objectives for brexit which will inevitably be dominated by the negotiations with the EU about the terms of Brexit and what kind of relationship the UK will have with the EU when it finally leaves in March 2019.

1. Certainty.

2. Control of our own laws.

3. Strengthen the Union (the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

4. Maintain the common travel area with the Republic of Ireland.

5. Control of immigration.

6. Protecting the rights of EU citizens currently residing in the UK while protecting the rights of UK citizens residing in the EU.

7. Protect Workers rights.

8. Trade agreement between the UK and the EU that optimizes the opportunities for free trade without the UK remaining a member of the single market.

9. New trade deals with other countries outside of the EU.

10. Making the UK the best place for science and innovation.

11. Cooperation with international partners in the fight against crime and terrorism.

12. A smooth Orderly Brexit.

The full speech can be read here:

https://www.google.co.uk...

For the vast majority of Brexit supporters such as myself this is exactly the speech we wanted to hear. Obviously the remain side are disappointed the government intends to honour the result of the referendum instead of staying in the EU by the back door but Theresa May is clever enough to know that delivering the kind of Brexit she outlined today will guaranteed a landslide victory in 2020 for the conservative party while also being in the countries national interest. A half hearted Brexit would be a disaster and worse than remaining in the EU and would see a defection to UKIP and Labour in 2020 that could would have lead to a Jeremy Corbyn premiership which would be the last thing the country needs.

Obviously the EU won't just roll over and give us what we want but it's clear we are going to stand up to them and won't let them bully or intimidate us. If they choose to be unreasonable in their demands as Theresa May made clear no deal is better then a bad deal. If they want mutual economic turmoil that's their call. Unlike them we will be able to negotiate new trade relationships with other countries while they lose out on access to their biggest current trading partner and become an inward looking isolationist federal super state with one of the slowest growing economies in the world that is crippled with debt and a failed currency.

I know most people in this forum are American, so I will add that although I dislike Trump he is obviously good news for the UK (unlike the current President who tried to influence the referendum by threatening British citizens, something he now says he opposes after Putin influenced American elections) his comments that we are at the front of the line for a trade deal demonstrate. Trump's criticism of the EU and Germany in particular will also help us and improve our bargaining position in the negotiations while weakening theirs. They can no longer use the card of a potential trade deal with the USA to replace the current arrangement with the UK either. It's us who have that card to play now.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2017 11:28:36 PM
At 1/17/2017 11:23:27 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Today Theresa May made a speech where for the first time she outlined the 12 key objectives for brexit which will inevitably be dominated by the negotiations with the EU about the terms of Brexit and what kind of relationship the UK will have with the EU when it finally leaves in March 2019.

1. Certainty.

3. Strengthen the Union (the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

6. Protecting the rights of EU citizens currently residing in the UK while protecting the rights of UK citizens residing in the EU.

8. Trade agreement between the UK and the EU that optimizes the opportunities for free trade without the UK remaining a member of the single market.

11. Cooperation with international partners in the fight against crime and terrorism.

For the vast majority of Brexit supporters such as myself this is exactly the speech we wanted to hear. Obviously the remain side are disappointed the government intends to honour the result of the referendum instead of staying in the EU by the back door but Theresa May is clever enough to know that delivering the kind of Brexit she outlined today will guaranteed a landslide victory in 2020 for the conservative party while also being in the countries national interest. A half hearted Brexit would be a disaster and worse than remaining in the EU and would see a defection to UKIP and Labour in 2020 that could would have lead to a Jeremy Corbyn premiership which would be the last thing the country needs.

Obviously the EU won't just roll over and give us what we want but it's clear we are going to stand up to them and won't let them bully or intimidate us. If they choose to be unreasonable in their demands as Theresa May made clear no deal is better then a bad deal. If they want mutual economic turmoil that's their call. Unlike them we will be able to negotiate new trade relationships with other countries while they lose out on access to their biggest current trading partner and become an inward looking isolationist federal super state with one of the slowest growing economies in the world that is crippled with debt and a failed currency.

I know most people in this forum are American, so I will add that although I dislike Trump he is obviously good news for the UK (unlike the current President who tried to influence the referendum by threatening British citizens, something he now says he opposes after Putin influenced American elections) his comments that we are at the front of the line for a trade deal demonstrate. Trump's criticism of the EU and Germany in particular will also help us and improve our bargaining position in the negotiations while weakening theirs. They can no longer use the card of a potential trade deal with the USA to replace the current arrangement with the UK either. It's us who have that card to play now.

Here flippin' here. Good for you guys across the pond.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2017 11:37:23 PM
At 1/17/2017 11:28:36 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

1. Certainty.

Yes it's a great day. I think Brexit is definitely in the interest of the USA as well. We will no longer be bound by the shackles of the EU and able to cooperate fully as an independent nation and as a nuclear armed state would have nothing to fear about Russia unlike 26 of the other 27 current EU states that are fully reliant of the USA for their defence. Potentially siding with the USA on NATO funding could give us more leverage in the negotiations with the EU.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2017 11:48:16 PM
At 1/17/2017 11:37:23 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

1. Certainty.

Yes it's a great day. I think Brexit is definitely in the interest of the USA as well. We will no longer be bound by the shackles of the EU and able to cooperate fully as an independent nation and as a nuclear armed state would have nothing to fear about Russia unlike 26 of the other 27 current EU states that are fully reliant of the USA for their defence. Potentially siding with the USA on NATO funding could give us more leverage in the negotiations with the EU.

I'd personally like to withdraw from NATO and negotiate status of forces with each country individually.

Certain relations, such as the U.K. And US would only strengthen. But it would help us 'trim' the fat so to speak.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2017 12:23:30 AM
At 1/17/2017 11:48:16 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 1/17/2017 11:37:23 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

1. Certainty.

I'd personally like to withdraw from NATO and negotiate status of forces with each country individually.

Certain relations, such as the U.K. And US would only strengthen. But it would help us 'trim' the fat so to speak.

Yes it is unreasonable for NATO members to expect subsidized military protection from America. If you want protection then you should be prepared to pay for it or improve your own military so you can defend yourself.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.