Total Posts:261|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How smart do you need to be, to be religious?

Accipiter
Posts: 2,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell
Quadrunner
Posts: 5,509
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 3:50:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

What the hell?

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

Well, that's probably understating it.
janesix
Posts: 8,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 4:13:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.
Religion and science are not oppostes. They are totally different things. Why compare them?
missmedic
Posts: 764
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 4:30:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

The religious don't like the intellectuals, they ask to many question.
The smarter you are the less likely you will be religious, because the more you know the less you believe, as many studies show this to be true.
http://journals.sagepub.com...
https://en.wikipedia.org...
graceofgod
Posts: 10,088
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..
Goldtop
Posts: 6,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 5:00:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

Cow poop. Accipiter was right.
graceofgod
Posts: 10,088
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 5:01:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 5:00:13 AM, Goldtop wrote:
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

Cow poop. Accipiter was right.

free thinking, it is something science followers never get to experience..lol
Goldtop
Posts: 6,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 5:14:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 5:01:40 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 5:00:13 AM, Goldtop wrote:
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

Cow poop. Accipiter was right.

free thinking, it is something science followers never get to experience..lol

Stupid people constantly laugh at their own jokes.
Accipiter
Posts: 2,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 10:56:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

This is a total crock, you can be as dumb as a box of hair and be religious. How smart do you need to be to believe something? Not very, in fact being stupid is a good quality if you are looking for people that will believe your ridiculous fairy tales.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell
Quadrunner
Posts: 5,509
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2017 11:52:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 10:56:27 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

This is a total crock, you can be as dumb as a box of hair and be religious. How smart do you need to be to believe something? Not very, in fact being stupid is a good quality if you are looking for people that will believe your ridiculous fairy tales.

Is this thread supposed to amount to anything?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 6,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 2:09:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.


You can laugh and mock all you like, but no, there is no academic or intellectual requirements to be in harmony with the Creator or to accept spiritual concepts. Dumb people, smart people, ugly people, good looking people, rich people, poor people, PhD's, homeless, nerds, bullies, trash men, scientists ect ect all have EQUAL access to spirituality.

When you realize one long and far off day that spirituality is a continual cultivation and development over a period of years and years of application, observation and refining you might be shocked at your shallow understandings and perceptions. Just like with any other topic or interest you have all flavors and varieties of people that come to the table at all levels whether "smart" or not.

Would you prefer the laws of creation to accept only snotty "PhD's" and wannabe scientists like yourself to experience the higher knowledge and truth about the Creator lol? no, I didn't think so, the door is open to anyone sincere no matter the make-up.

Science is a study of the natural world, religion and spirituality are the study of the spiritual worlds, one need not take away from one or the other they work in harmony. Now, you can make assertions and claim that only science "takes years of hard work and study" and not that of Theistic study but that can be simply dismissed as nothing more than a bare assertion. It's taken me most of my life to develop, apply, observe and learn from years of trial and error and cultivation, practice, studying and mastering the art of spirituality!
Two separate fields of study, two different natures of work and examination though I would argue the field of science only offers one angle or view of reality, that's if you hold science to be some form of ideology, which it's NOT, science is not atheism, it's a neutral study. Anyways Theism is much more dynamic, much more to be learned, applied and demonstrated before you die and even after.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

Well, you have one field that studies the natural world, and one expertise that studies the spiritual. If you step back from your material ideology then you may realize both studies are needed. Whether you feel or think there is no Creator that's irrelevant, that may be dismissed as an assertion.
So yes, religion is of course on equal footing and actually much more so in it's own study, just like science is more qualified in it's study. Two different natures we are dealing with, science is not capable of answering questions about the Creator, and the same with religion, it needs not interfere with science or the study of the natural regardless of the past.
Scruggs
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 2:46:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.
Not *everybody is smart enough to be a ThD. What is your point? You are deceiving yourself if you believe that all Christians are nominal. They aren't. There are many Christians, including myself, who have decided to deepen their study of Scripture by going to a seminary. There are others who are perfectly content with private study all by itself. Comparing people who have a PhD in a scientific field with nominal Christians is deceptive.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.
That is because they are two different things, generally. It would be like comparing history to biology. Some people are better at one than the other. Or at the very least prefer one to the other. But we all know that theology is the queen of the sciences ;)
"You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary." - Jonathan Edwards
bulproof
Posts: 36,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:15:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 2:46:50 AM, Scruggs wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.
Not *everybody is smart enough to be a ThD. What is your point? You are deceiving yourself if you believe that all Christians are nominal. They aren't. There are many Christians, including myself, who have decided to deepen their study of Scripture by going to a seminary. There are others who are perfectly content with private study all by itself. Comparing people who have a PhD in a scientific field with nominal Christians is deceptive.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.
That is because they are two different things, generally. It would be like comparing history to biology. Some people are better at one than the other. Or at the very least prefer one to the other. But we all know that theology is the queen of the sciences ;)
Theology is the study of fairy tales in an attempt to make the stories real, it is not science.
Scruggs
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:16:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 3:15:07 AM, bulproof wrote:
Theology is the study of fairy tales in an attempt to make the stories real, it is not science.
I say the same thing about evolutionary "biology."
"You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary." - Jonathan Edwards
Scruggs
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:17:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 3:15:07 AM, bulproof wrote:
Theology is the study of fairy tales in an attempt to make the stories real, it is not science.
I say the same thing about evolutionary "biology." But I was primarily playing off of the old phrase from the middle ages.
"You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary." - Jonathan Edwards
bulproof
Posts: 36,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:18:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 3:16:45 AM, Scruggs wrote:
At 4/17/2017 3:15:07 AM, bulproof wrote:
Theology is the study of fairy tales in an attempt to make the stories real, it is not science.
I say the same thing about evolutionary "biology."
You can say whatever you like but the evidence refutes you, you have no evidence to refute me.
Scruggs
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:23:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 3:18:07 AM, bulproof wrote:
You can say whatever you like but the evidence refutes you, you have no evidence to refute me.

It is funny you say that right after Easter Sunday. Irony tends to fly right past atheists.
"You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary." - Jonathan Edwards
bulproof
Posts: 36,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:27:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 3:23:19 AM, Scruggs wrote:
At 4/17/2017 3:18:07 AM, bulproof wrote:
You can say whatever you like but the evidence refutes you, you have no evidence to refute me.

It is funny you say that right after Easter Sunday. Irony tends to fly right past atheists.
I said evidence, amazing how godists fail to understand that concept.
Scruggs
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:30:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 3:27:25 AM, bulproof wrote:
I said evidence, amazing how godists fail to understand that concept.
Again, the irony is flying right by.
"You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary." - Jonathan Edwards
bulproof
Posts: 36,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 3:36:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 3:30:22 AM, Scruggs wrote:
At 4/17/2017 3:27:25 AM, bulproof wrote:
I said evidence, amazing how godists fail to understand that concept.
Again, the irony is flying right by.
Children can be so funny.
graceofgod
Posts: 10,088
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 9:36:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 10:56:27 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

This is a total crock, you can be as dumb as a box of hair and be religious. How smart do you need to be to believe something? Not very, in fact being stupid is a good quality if you are looking for people that will believe your ridiculous fairy tales.

as i said you can learn several languages, read the bible in greek and hebrew , you can visit places named in the bible, you can research kings and people of the time, then with science you can pretty much accept what they tell you as not many people have their own fossils or equipment to date and test fossils...

so you can stick to your science fairytale if you like ...
dsjpk5
Posts: 5,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 9:55:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

Your not making a fair comparison. In your science believe example, you only included PhDs. On the other hand, in your religion believer, you included everyone who believes in a religion. To be fair, you should include anyone who says "I believe in science" with anyone who says "I believe in God". Or compare PhDs in sciences with PhDs in theology.
bulproof
Posts: 36,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 10:02:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 9:36:04 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 10:56:27 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

This is a total crock, you can be as dumb as a box of hair and be religious. How smart do you need to be to believe something? Not very, in fact being stupid is a good quality if you are looking for people that will believe your ridiculous fairy tales.

as i said you can learn several languages, read the bible in greek and hebrew , you can visit places named in the bible, you can research kings and people of the time, then with science you can pretty much accept what they tell you as not many people have their own fossils or equipment to date and test fossils...

so you can stick to your science fairytale if you like ...
NY exists therefore Spiderman is real, great thinking Tonto
CosmoJarvis
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 12:42:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

While there is a historical trend of people like peasants and the uneducated to greatly support the church moreso than others, I do believe that intelligence is the root cause of why some people are religious. I believe that many are religious simply because they live in a society that is also deeply religious or because they have been raised in a religious household or school.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
"Submit to the soy or be annihilated." -Thett3
Accipiter
Posts: 2,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 1:35:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 9:55:36 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

Your not making a fair comparison. In your science believe example, you only included PhDs. On the other hand, in your religion believer, you included everyone who believes in a religion. To be fair, you should include anyone who says "I believe in science" with anyone who says "I believe in God". Or compare PhDs in sciences with PhDs in theology.

You don't "believe in science" you either understand it or you don't.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell
Accipiter
Posts: 2,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 1:46:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 12:42:59 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

While there is a historical trend of people like peasants and the uneducated to greatly support the church moreso than others, I do believe that intelligence is the root cause of why some people are religious. I believe that many are religious simply because they live in a society that is also deeply religious or because they have been raised in a religious household or school.

Religion comes from a place that has nothing to do with intelligence.

The false positive is one of the building blocks of religion in the human mind:

https://www.psychologytoday.com...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell
Accipiter
Posts: 2,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 1:55:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 11:52:06 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/16/2017 10:56:27 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

This is a total crock, you can be as dumb as a box of hair and be religious. How smart do you need to be to believe something? Not very, in fact being stupid is a good quality if you are looking for people that will believe your ridiculous fairy tales.

Is this thread supposed to amount to anything?

Yes, but if you don't know what it's supposed to amount to I won't tell you.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell
dsjpk5
Posts: 5,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 2:02:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 1:35:37 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 4/17/2017 9:55:36 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

Your not making a fair comparison. In your science believe example, you only included PhDs. On the other hand, in your religion believer, you included everyone who believes in a religion. To be fair, you should include anyone who says "I believe in science" with anyone who says "I believe in God". Or compare PhDs in sciences with PhDs in theology.

You don't "believe in science" you either understand it or you don't.

False. One can understand a theory, but not accept it. The Big Bang is a perfect example of this. Experience has proven you wrong.
CosmoJarvis
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 2:10:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/16/2017 5:01:40 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 5:00:13 AM, Goldtop wrote:
At 4/16/2017 4:37:39 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.

Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

I would argue very smart, you have to be able to read, several languages helps, you have to be a freethinker, not just go with the flow, like those who follow the religion of science, you have to have integrity and toughness, you will be ridiculed for your faith by the sheep who follow science, you will need excellent reasoning skills as you will have to do your own research unlike those who trust the untestable results of science and you have to do it alone as any school will normally tell you the bible is just a nice story..

Cow poop. Accipiter was right.

free thinking, it is something science followers never get to experience..lol

On the contrary, my friend, scientists, and followers are extremely free-thinking and creative; they challenge old beliefs and create new theories on how the world works. If anything, I find that the idea of the Earth being round, contrary to hundreds of years o the popular belief of the Earth being flat, is extraordinary. I find that the idea that all species developed from billions of years of evolutionary processes and mutations is astounding. The fact that life may have spawned from space rocks and star dust is out of this world! (pun intended)

Science has led humanity to be able to do unthinkable things. We're near the age where we can genetically modify humans, making them more intelligent and strong than ever before or be able to remove physical and mental genetic defects. Scientists have helped humanity overcome deadly diseases. Heck, scientists are trying to find out how to use cryostasis.

To say science is not free-thinking and creative is ridiculous.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
"Submit to the soy or be annihilated." -Thett3
Goldtop
Posts: 6,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2017 2:25:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/17/2017 2:09:59 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 4/16/2017 3:43:34 AM, Accipiter wrote:
Not every body is smart enough to be a PhD, but it seems there is not a lower limit of intelligence necessary to be religious. For some reason the beliefs of the religious would like us to regard them as on equal footing with science. To be religious one needs no study or understanding beyond the ability to say "I believe in god" and mean it. Science on the other hand takes lots of hard work and years of study.


You can laugh and mock all you like, but no, there is no academic or intellectual requirements to be in harmony with the Creator or to accept spiritual concepts. Dumb people, smart people, ugly people, good looking people, rich people, poor people, PhD's, homeless, nerds, bullies, trash men, scientists ect ect all have EQUAL access to spirituality.

Yes, everyone has access to the Bible.

When you realize one long and far off day that spirituality is a continual cultivation and development over a period of years and years of application, observation and refining you might be shocked at your shallow understandings and perceptions. Just like with any other topic or interest you have all flavors and varieties of people that come to the table at all levels whether "smart" or not.

That realization will never come to fruition because everything you say is either a contradiction or nonsense.

Would you prefer the laws of creation to accept only snotty "PhD's" and wannabe scientists like yourself to experience the higher knowledge and truth about the Creator lol? no, I didn't think so, the door is open to anyone sincere no matter the make-up.

There are no laws of Creation, higher knowledge or truth in your words, you're just making it up like you make up everything else you say.

Science is a study of the natural world, religion and spirituality are the study of the spiritual worlds, one need not take away from one or the other they work in harmony.

Hogwash.

Now, you can make assertions and claim that only science "takes years of hard work and study" and not that of Theistic study but that can be simply dismissed as nothing more than a bare assertion. It's taken me most of my life to develop, apply, observe and learn from years of trial and error and cultivation, practice, studying and mastering the art of spirituality!

You have wasted your life on complete nonsense and like a small child are pretending you have special knowledge. You don't.

Two separate fields of study, two different natures of work and examination though I would argue the field of science only offers one angle or view of reality, that's if you hold science to be some form of ideology, which it's NOT, science is not atheism, it's a neutral study. Anyways Theism is much more dynamic, much more to be learned, applied and demonstrated before you die and even after.

Nonsense, Theism is the study of fairy tales and delusions.


Regarding religion as on equal footing with science is tantamount to saying cow poop is of equal value to gold pound for pound.

Well, you have one field that studies the natural world, and one expertise that studies the spiritual. If you step back from your material ideology then you may realize both studies are needed. Whether you feel or think there is no Creator that's irrelevant, that may be dismissed as an assertion.

Yes, your claims of a Creator are indeed an assertion to be dismissed as irrelevant.

So yes, religion is of course on equal footing and actually much more so in it's own study, just like science is more qualified in it's study. Two different natures we are dealing with, science is not capable of answering questions about the Creator, and the same with religion, it needs not interfere with science or the study of the natural regardless of the past.

You love to pretend to have special knowledge, but when questioned, you just make up more fairy tales, more nonsense and a boatload of contradictions. This doesn't seem to phase you in the least as you go on and on with the same nonsensical bs.

Your religion is on equal footing to other religions, but it is far from any kind of footing to science. Absolutely nothing of what you say can be verified in any way, we're all just supposed to swallow your fables hook, line and sinker.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.