Jump to topic:

John 17:17

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 10:50:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
John 17:17 Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.

What did Jesus mean by this?

Quite simply he meant that those who take God's Word, the Bible, into their hearts are sanctified, made holy, purified, by that word, to the extent to which they have taken it to heart.

Truth is that important, and God's word is truth.

It may not be all literal truth. Some of it is truth carried in figurative language, "hidden" in illustrations and metaphors.

Some of it has to be understood using "codes" carried elsewhere in scripture. For example, where prophecies like Daniel 4 and Daniel 9 talk in terms of days, a verse in numbers tells us "a day for a year, a day for a year". Apply that key to the prophecy of Christ's ministry and you see how accurate that key is. What helps the recognition of that as a key is the fact that unusually it was repeated for emphasis, marking it out as an important clue.

Number 14:34 According to the number of the days that you spied out the land, 40 days, a day for a year, a day for a year, you will answer for your errors 40 years, for you will know what it means to oppose me.

Of course it takes a great deal of Bible study, and the promised helper, to understand that, but as James 1:5-8, reminds us, if we ask Jehovah for his wisdom to help us counter worldly thinking, he will provide it for us, but not if we doubt his word.

The other way that the Bible is definitely truth is that some of the writings are entrusted to writers who Jehovah trusted to report as accurately as they could. True that leads to what some people call contradictions, but which in fact are merely different ways of reporting exactly the same thing.

Yes God's word is indeed truth, from Genesis to Revelation, and today's science, as well as the entirety of human history, proves that beyond rational doubt.

Those who refuse to accept it for what it is will be the losers because no-one can defeat Jehovah's overall plan for his creation. Nobody can fight against Jehovah and win in the end.

Yes, so far Satan has won a number of small victories, but he cannot and will not win the war, The creation cannot defeat the creator.
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 11:07:14 AM
At 4/24/2017 10:55:07 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
And tonights sexual position is ?

wait for Bulproof to comment :D
dont fart
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 11:08:51 AM

none of us really care what you and your dog do.
MCB is sharing bible truth. One who actually loves God listens to bible truth. God doesn't hold ones repented past against them, neither does a true follower of God. You are though--that means God will give you the same.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 1:05:39 PM
At 4/24/2017 11:10:04 AM, tarantula wrote:
MCB is spouting JW garbage!

I know 100% for sure, The teachings of Jesus in every translation on earth back the JW teachers and expose the trinity lies. Why don't you? Don't you love Jesus after what he did for your benefit.
Our king Jesus--what does your mortal king sacrifice for you=0
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 1:26:19 PM
At 4/24/2017 11:08:51 AM, kjw47 wrote:

MCB is sharing bible truth. One who actually loves God listens to bible truth. God doesn't hold ones repented past against them, neither does a true follower of God. You are though--that means God will give you the same.

Sorry , sorry.
Calm down big fella. Put your shirt back on.
I've never once said a bad word to MCB . Never.
He'll tell you that. If you find a single post of mine with any abuse towards him , I'll post and preach every single scripture in the bible twice over . I have no need to bag him.
I mean ,
I am fully aware it's only common sense God doesn't exist.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 1:31:56 PM
At 4/24/2017 1:05:39 PM, kjw47 wrote:

I know 100% for sure, The teachings of Jesus in every translation on earth back the JW teachers and expose the trinity lies. Why don't you? Don't you love Jesus after what he did for your benefit.

However I will make a little fun about the absolute crap you speak.
Read your post you just posted you fool . Go on.
It starts with .
( I know 100% for sure. )
Now let's stop there for 1 second. Read it .
I know 100% for sure.
Ya wanker. Pull your head in , this ain't know cattle train.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 2:18:36 PM

You are a liar if you state that you know for sure that the things attributed to that chap Jesus have any veracity. The gospels were written years after he died, so a lot of exaggeration/luntruths etc would have crept into the texts. Unless it was written down at the time he said it, it would have been impossible for so called 'eye witnesses' to have quoted Jesus word for word.

Jesus died because he was a pain in the backside where the religious mafia was concerned, and for no other reason, imo.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 7:04:21 PM
At 4/24/2017 1:31:56 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

It starts with .
I know 100% for sure.

You seem to have missed--God reveals himself to those that love and listen to him.
God revealed himself to me, even when I didn't deserve to be shown.
I know how it is for hearts to look at this system and believe a God of love is there. But he is--don't forget--the first human couple chose this system for all of us. It is almost done, Gods kingdom will cure all of it.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 7:06:08 PM
At 4/24/2017 1:26:19 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Sorry , sorry.
He'll tell you that. If you find a single post of mine with any abuse towards him , I'll post and preach every single scripture in the bible twice over . I have no need to bag him.
I mean ,

You have my apologies. My Dad passed last night, it was a big shock--its still no reason to say what I said to you. I hope you can forgive me.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 7:09:05 PM
At 4/24/2017 2:18:36 PM, tarantula wrote:

You are a liar if you state that you know for sure that the things attributed to that chap Jesus have any veracity. The gospels were written years after he died, so a lot of exaggeration/luntruths etc would have crept into the texts. Unless it was written down at the time he said it, it would have been impossible for so called 'eye witnesses' to have quoted Jesus word for word.

Jesus died because he was a pain in the backside where the religious mafia was concerned, and for no other reason, imo.

Its you failing to realize that through the holy spirit, God inspired the words of the bible through men--The writers didn't screw the bible up--the great apostasy screwed it up. To fit their false council teachings. Thus carried over into every trinity translation on the planet--the protestants tried to fix it, yet failed in many aspects and to this day--live in error.
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 8:12:26 PM

What did Jesus do for us?
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
"Submit to the soy or be annihilated." -Thett3
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 8:43:52 PM
At 4/24/2017 8:12:26 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:

Came to earth and laid his life down as the ransom sacrifice opening the door to all to gain entrance into Gods kingdom( life everlasting)---Few find the way.
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 9:25:31 PM
At 4/24/2017 8:43:52 PM, kjw47 wrote:

Came to earth and laid his life down as the ransom sacrifice opening the door to all to gain entrance into Gods kingdom( life everlasting)---Few find the way.

How do we know that Jesus opened the "door to all to gain entrance into God's kingdom?"
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 10:43:08 PM
At 4/24/2017 9:25:31 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:

How do we know that Jesus opened the "door to all to gain entrance into God's kingdom?"

By putting faith in the teachings of the bible, and finding the teachers that are lead by Jesus. By learning ALL that Jesus taught and apply all that Jesus taught. They aren't too hard to find if you learn what Jesus taught. Then one can exercise faith in the sacrafice Jesus made.
Scruggs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 11:31:41 PM
You cannot expose "trinity lies" because the trinity is truth. Jehovah's Witnesses deny some of the most foundational teachings of the Christian faith. JWs deny the trinity, the personhood of the Spirit, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the importance of the Lord's supper, etc. I am not sure how you can pick up a Bible and say that you are a JW, as the teachings of the Watchtower cannot be found in it.
"You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary." - Jonathan Edwards
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2017 11:49:59 PM
At 4/24/2017 10:43:08 PM, kjw47 wrote:

By putting faith in the teachings of the bible, and finding the teachers that are lead by Jesus. By learning ALL that Jesus taught and apply all that Jesus taught. They aren't too hard to find if you learn what Jesus taught. Then one can exercise faith in the sacrafice Jesus made.

What is faith?
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 7:16:17 AM
At 4/24/2017 7:09:05 PM, kjw47 wrote:

Its you failing to realize that through the holy spirit, God inspired the words of the bible through men--The writers didn't screw the bible up--the great apostasy screwed it up. To fit their false council teachings. Thus carried over into every trinity translation on the planet--the protestants tried to fix it, yet failed in many aspects and to this day--live in error.

You are failing to realise that you have no evidence to back up your assertions!
physicalobserver
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 11:14:38 AM
At 4/24/2017 7:04:21 PM, kjw47 wrote:

It starts with .
I know 100% for sure.

You seem to have missed--God reveals himself to those that love and listen to him.
I know how it is for hearts to look at this system and believe a God of love is there. But he is--don't forget--the first human couple chose this system for all of us. It is almost done, Gods kingdom will cure all of it.

"God reveals himself to those that love and listen to him."

How convenient!

"even when I didn't deserve to be shown."

Is that because you were not "loving or listening" at the time?

"--don't forget--the first human couple chose this system for all of us."

I find it interesting that, right off the bat, the beloved humans went to 'heck in a handbasket' real quick! They were made in God's image, and at the first temptation, they rejected God.

"Gods kingdom will cure all of it."

It will? God didn't have much success with A&E, did he?
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 11:16:22 AM
At 4/24/2017 11:31:41 PM, Scruggs wrote:
You cannot expose "trinity lies" because the trinity is truth. Jehovah's Witnesses deny some of the most foundational teachings of the Christian faith. JWs deny the trinity, the personhood of the Spirit, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the importance of the Lord's supper, etc. I am not sure how you can pick up a Bible and say that you are a JW, as the teachings of the Watchtower cannot be found in it.

Do you mean like when Jesus teaches -ALL- he has a God like we do( John 20:17, Rev 3:12) and you and your scholars and teachers outright REFUSE to believe Jesus over religious dogmas.
Jesus -PERSONALLY- requested of all--keep on doing this in remembrance of me= the lords supper on Passover night--not the following sunday. He did not ask for a birthday celebration, nor a resurrection celebration.
You obviously do not know the pages of a watchtower--
not a single mortal on earth can prove the HS is a living being.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 11:18:07 AM
At 4/24/2017 11:49:59 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:

What is faith?

putting trust into something not seen.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 11:21:59 AM
At 4/25/2017 11:14:38 AM, physicalobserver wrote:
At 4/24/2017 7:04:21 PM, kjw47 wrote:

It starts with .
I know 100% for sure.

"God reveals himself to those that love and listen to him."

How convenient!

"even when I didn't deserve to be shown."

Is that because you were not "loving or listening" at the time?

"--don't forget--the first human couple chose this system for all of us."

I find it interesting that, right off the bat, the beloved humans went to 'heck in a handbasket' real quick! They were made in God's image, and at the first temptation, they rejected God.

"Gods kingdom will cure all of it."

It will? God didn't have much success with A&E, did he?

It wasn't God who failed--it was the 3 rebels in Eden who failed God.
Gods image = the ability to love and reason.
God handed all--life free of charge on a silver platter-- Adam and Eve Chose to rebel by a lie from satan.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 11:25:00 AM
At 4/25/2017 7:16:17 AM, tarantula wrote:

You are failing to realise that you have no evidence to back up your assertions!

Archologists have uncovered enough evidence, The whole world is watching Revelation nearing its end for years. The teachings of Jesus prove the trinity religionssssssssssss are not his.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 11:36:54 AM
At 4/25/2017 11:25:00 AM, kjw47 wrote:
At 4/25/2017 7:16:17 AM, tarantula wrote:

Archologists have uncovered enough evidence, The whole world is watching Revelation nearing its end for years. The teachings of Jesus prove the trinity religionssssssssssss are not his.
Archaeologists have completely ruled out the existence of the Exodus, it's all make believe.
Historians have completely ruled out the existence of Jews in slavery in Egypt for 400yrs.
Geologists have proven beyond doubt that a worldwide flood never existed.
Adam and Eve are make believe as ALL of the evidence shows.
physicalobserver
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 11:59:15 AM
At 4/24/2017 7:06:08 PM, kjw47 wrote:
At 4/24/2017 1:26:19 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Sorry , sorry.
I mean ,

You have my apologies. My Dad passed last night, it was a big shock--its still no reason to say what I said to you. I hope you can forgive me.

Your dad's biological space suit ceased functioning, but your dad, or the spiritual entity you knew as your dad, is still in existence. There was one thing your dad did to you as a child over and over, kissed you on the head, rubbed your shoulders in passing, rubbed your back till you fell asleep, stuff like that. If all the sudden you stop because you feel that sensation, that is your dad, not some demon. Perhaps he always said a certain phrase to you, then in the quite, you hear that phrase in your head, that is your dad, not some demon, talk to him. He has but a brief while before he moves on to his next journey.

Don't worry about the demons, they are easily defeated by a strong inner constitution, and an understanding of who they really are. It is the imprisoned fallen 200 watchers we need to worry about.

I would suggest that all JWs read, The Book of Enoch. Think about it, Enoch walked with God, and was taken from earth by God. The Book of Enoch is referred to, and quoted in the Bible several times, yet his book is ignored! And I would strongly suggest they follow their own advice and get out of any, and all religion, including their religion.
physicalobserver
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 12:11:14 PM

Screwed up, none the less. What makes you think your translation is not as screwed up just as much? Because the religion you belong to, told you so?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means an atheist, I accept a brilliant entity created the aquarium/terrarium we live in, and I base that on physical evidence, not the bellowing of men. {If you like to know what that evidence is, message me, I'll be happy to share it} So, I'm not trying to destroy your belief in a God, and if you wish to stay JW, fine with me, I judge not anyone. But I'm telling you, like all religion, it is hiding much from you.
physicalobserver
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 12:21:45 PM

What is faith?

"The assured expectation of things hoped for, the evidence demonstration of realities, though not beheld." NWT

How can anyone have a "demonstration of reality", and yet, not "behold it", not observe it?

It's like Christmas, you have the 'expectation of things hoped for', the gifts you covet, but you never get to see the actual "demonstration of reality" Santa Claus. What do they tell you to do, go to sleep, don't observe the real reality.
physicalobserver
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2017 12:25:17 PM
At 4/25/2017 12:21:45 PM, physicalobserver wrote:

What is faith?

"The assured expectation of things hoped for, the evidence demonstration of realities, though not beheld." NWT

How can anyone have a "demonstration of reality", and yet, not "behold it", not observe it?

It's like Christmas, you have the 'expectation of things hoped for', the gifts you covet, but you never get to see the actual "demonstration of reality" Santa Claus. What do they tell you to do, go to sleep, don't observe the real reality.

The "evident", not evidence.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.