Jump to topic:

Non-Abrahmaic theists & agnostics as friends

SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2017 10:20:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I believe that if you have spiritual beliefs that are non-exclusionary, you can be friends with agnostics who do not rule out the possibility of a supreme being. You can meet in the middle, so to speak, and both say that belief in a supreme being could be purely subjective and personal or conversely it's possible that this belief could have an objective basis in reality, neither knows for sure. I think where they can meet together is in the idea that there are purely healthy human values such as the upholding of individual peace, freedom, honesty, and love, and if there is a supreme being this is really the only thing that it should care about.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 2:15:27 PM
At 6/24/2017 10:20:11 PM, SingularityofLight wrote:
I believe that if you have spiritual beliefs that are non-exclusionary, you can be friends with agnostics who do not rule out the possibility of a supreme being. You can meet in the middle, so to speak, and both say that belief in a supreme being could be purely subjective and personal or conversely it's possible that this belief could have an objective basis in reality, neither knows for sure. I think where they can meet together is in the idea that there are purely healthy human values such as the upholding of individual peace, freedom, honesty, and love, and if there is a supreme being this is really the only thing that it should care about.

I would like to think that we already do that.
I have just finished dishing up a good serving to Fatihaha who seems obsessed with the idea of spreading Islam around the world as the answer to peace.

Goodness knows that Christianity has gone through some rocky times and is still wallowing a bit but Islam is utterly barbaric in its mildest form and we have been far too tolerant for far too long.

Muslims cannot occupy the same planet and carry on the way they have done with their exclusionary and cruel beliefs and I hope that what you suggest is what they will eventually come around to seeing.
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 2:29:48 PM
At 6/25/2017 2:15:27 PM, Willows wrote:

I have just finished dishing up a good serving to Fatihaha who seems obsessed with the idea of spreading Islam around the world as the answer to peace.

Goodness knows that Christianity has gone through some rocky times and is still wallowing a bit but Islam is utterly barbaric in its mildest form and we have been far too tolerant for far too long.

Muslims cannot occupy the same planet and carry on the way they have done with their exclusionary and cruel beliefs and I hope that what you suggest is what they will eventually come around to seeing.

Maybe what you are suggesting is possible. I remain skeptical of the Abrahamic faiths when they are based on holy books such as the Bible which proclaim such things as: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." If they are going to pursue peace with others, they have major hurdles to overcome.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 2:40:31 PM
At 6/25/2017 2:29:48 PM, SingularityofLight wrote:
At 6/25/2017 2:15:27 PM, Willows wrote:

Maybe what you are suggesting is possible. I remain skeptical of the Abrahamic faiths when they are based on holy books such as the Bible which proclaim such things as: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." If they are going to pursue peace with others, they have major hurdles to overcome.

There are many good philosophies in the Bible and the Quran but the antiquated cruel morals and principals in those books make me cringe at the thought that many people still hold them as being relevant in today's world.

The Zeitgeist of time means that we are moving forward for the better and learning from past mistakes but those hurdles are slowing things down for sure.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.