Jump to topic:

What is the Holy Ghost?

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 7:34:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am unsure exactly what the Holy Ghost is supposed to be. Is it an aspect of God? An entity? Does it have a personality?
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 7:38:53 PM
At 6/25/2017 7:34:19 PM, janesix wrote:
I am unsure exactly what the Holy Ghost is supposed to be. Is it an aspect of God? An entity? Does it have a personality?

In Christian dogma, the Holy Ghost is the third person of the triune Godhead: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. It is suppose to be like the Father in the sense that it is an unicarnated spirit, but with the role of expressing the spiritual power behind works of god and believers, rather than being the architect like the Father claims to be.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 7:47:48 PM
At 6/25/2017 7:38:53 PM, SingularityofLight wrote:

In Christian dogma, the Holy Ghost is the third person of the triune Godhead: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. It is suppose to be like the Father in the sense that it is an unicarnated spirit, but with the role of expressing the spiritual power behind works of god and believers, rather than being the architect like the Father claims to be.

So in other words, it is an aspect of God, and not really separate.
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 7:50:38 PM
At 6/25/2017 7:47:48 PM, janesix wrote:

It suppose to be simultaneously both an undivided third aspect of the godhead and an individual person.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 7:55:09 PM
At 6/25/2017 7:50:38 PM, SingularityofLight wrote:

It suppose to be simultaneously both an undivided third aspect of the godhead and an individual person.

It is very similar to Shakti, who is the life force of Shiva, yet still retains her own personality.
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 8:00:41 PM
At 6/25/2017 7:55:09 PM, janesix wrote:
At 6/25/2017 7:50:38 PM, SingularityofLight wrote:

It is very similar to Shakti, who is the life force of Shiva, yet still retains her own personality.

Yeah, the trinity has its rehearsal in more than Hinduism. I've personally lost a taste for trinities. I like thinking about the singularity of light being both masculine and feminine, but being a single being.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 8:03:34 PM

It depends on the version of Christianity you have mind. Regarding the relationship between God and the holy spirit, there are 3 main distinct Christian views:

1. Trinitarianism

Under this view God is three divine persons in one, the Holy Spirit being one of them.

2. Unitarianism

Per this view, or at least according to its major proponents, the Holy spirit is not a person, but simply the active force of God.

3. Modalism

According to this conception, the father, the son and the holy ghost are merely different aspects of the same one God.

There are further nuances in the whole of Christian theology regarding the holy spirit, such as the views of Binitarianism, for example, which offers yet another different Christian take on the matter.

But these are the main subdivisions.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 8:06:58 PM
At 6/25/2017 8:03:34 PM, Omniverse wrote:

It depends on the version of Christianity you have mind. Regarding the relationship between God and the holy spirit, there are 3 main distinct Christian views:

1. Trinitarianism

Under this view God is three divine persons in one, the Holy Spirit being one of them.

2. Unitarianism

Per this view, or at least according to its major proponents, the Holy spirit is not a person, but simply the active force of God.

3. Modalism

According to this conception, the father, the son and the holy ghost are merely different aspects of the same one God.

There are further nuances in the whole of Christian theology regarding the holy spirit, such as the views of Binitarianism, for example, which offers yet another different Christian take on the matter.

But these are the main subdivisions

Are you/were you a Christian? Just curious.
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 8:10:46 PM

1. Trinitarianism

2. Unitarianism

3. Modalism

But these are the main subdivisions.

Yeah, I was just giving you the main fundamentalist view. The fundamentalists think they are the only "orthodox" view. But there are signs that even these concepts are being re-shaped in fundamentalism.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 8:12:17 PM
At 6/25/2017 8:06:58 PM, janesix wrote:

1. Trinitarianism

2. Unitarianism

3. Modalism

Thanks for your interest.

I'm an agnostic - I don't know whether a God exists , I'm an atheist - I've yet to be convinced that a God exists - and I'm also an anti-theist with regard to the Abrahamic God, more specifically the Christian God ,as depicted in the Bible - I oppose such a character.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 8:15:23 PM
At 6/25/2017 8:12:17 PM, Omniverse wrote:

1. Trinitarianism

2. Unitarianism

3. Modalism

I'm an agnostic - I don't know whether a God exists , I'm an atheist - I've yet to be convinced that a God exists - and I'm also an anti-theist with regard to the Abrahamic God, more specifically the Christian God ,as depicted in the Bible - I oppose such a character.

Cool. I notice you knew a lot about the subject. Do you study religion? Is that one of your interests?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 8:37:17 PM
At 6/25/2017 8:15:23 PM, janesix wrote:
At 6/25/2017 8:12:17 PM, Omniverse wrote:

1. Trinitarianism

2. Unitarianism

3. Modalism

Cool. I notice you knew a lot about the subject. Do you study religion? Is that one of your interests?

Yes, the topic interests me a lot.
Christianity is my main focus, though.
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2017 11:59:17 PM

I always wonder that too, people say when they are speaking in tongues the Holy Ghost has them. Or they pray to the Holy Ghost. Yet it is the least understood aspect of the Trinity. Some say it is the conversation between the Son and the Father. I do not know scripture very well, but as part of the trinity it must be some sort of Godly essence. But where it came from and what exactly it does is beyond me too.
Gaetan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2017 3:05:32 AM
The Holy Spirit is a spirit who live inside and around you and who protects you from bad spirits. He teach you the way you got to choose and remember you what you forgot. Be in communion with the Holy Spirit, he'll guide you. Most Holy Spirits are animals spirits but they can be a human soul or a djinn.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.