Jump to topic:

Does DDO have in-house servers?

SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 7:08:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does DDO have in-house or out-sourced servers? The reason I ask is that after three or four extended attacks that have taken down their servers for days on ends, I'm wondering what kind of resources they have to battle against what seems to me well-planned, sophisticated attacks on their servers. It's getting annoying, to say the least.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 7:10:48 PM
At 6/30/2017 7:08:02 PM, SingularityofLight wrote:
Does DDO have in-house or out-sourced servers? The reason I ask is that after three or four extended attacks that have taken down their servers for days on ends, I'm wondering what kind of resources they have to battle against what seems to me well-planned, sophisticated attacks on their servers. It's getting annoying, to say the least.

How do you know it is attacks on ddo, and not just problems with the site?
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 7:14:02 PM
At 6/30/2017 7:10:48 PM, janesix wrote:

How do you know it is attacks on ddo, and not just problems with the site?

I'm just guessing. It seems with the repetitiveness of the down-time, the length of time the site has been down, it is more than just an in-house problem.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 7:48:05 PM

They have their own servers, but from what I understand the site is going down because they have not maintained the site and fixed the errors in their spaghetti code as they become apparent.
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 7:49:53 PM
At 6/30/2017 7:48:05 PM, Geogeer wrote:

They have their own servers, but from what I understand the site is going down because they have not maintained the site and fixed the errors in their spaghetti code as they become apparent.

Why now, all of a sudden when as I understand it this has not happen before, at least no where on this scale?
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 7:57:47 PM

I did research on the 503 error myself, and learned the most common cause of it is an influx of users on a particular site. If the site or its servers aren't meant to handle that many, then it will go down. Now... i don't know if that is what is happening bc if it is ... good for DDO. Our struggle for a couple days is okay to me to fix things up so we can have some people to chat with on this forum.

Now.. if it isn't a lot of users, your hacking thing makes sense. A DDoS attach can also overwhelm servers same as an influx of users. That would also make sense since people have tried hacking this site before, and there are some enemies that don't like this site very much. So... your "guess" isn't too far off base.

Either way. It is a fixable problem. We just might have to put up with a couple "attacks," which is also okay. It is good taking a break from things you do... especially debates about a topic such as religion / spirituality.
"For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity." --- Jean Dubuffet
SingularityofLight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 8:00:00 PM
At 6/30/2017 7:57:47 PM, Outplayz wrote:

I did research on the 503 error myself, and learned the most common cause of it is an influx of users on a particular site. If the site or its servers aren't meant to handle that many, then it will go down. Now... i don't know if that is what is happening bc if it is ... good for DDO. Our struggle for a couple days is okay to me to fix things up so we can have some people to chat with on this forum.

Now.. if it isn't a lot of users, your hacking thing makes sense. A DDoS attach can also overwhelm servers same as an influx of users. That would also make sense since people have tried hacking this site before, and there are some enemies that don't like this site very much. So... your "guess" isn't too far off base.

Either way. It is a fixable problem. We just might have to put up with a couple "attacks," which is also okay. It is good taking a break from things you do... especially debates about a topic such as religion / spirituality.

Probably true. The break allows us time to reset from entrenching patterns of debate which, in themselves, aren't healthy.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2017 8:03:32 PM
At 6/30/2017 8:00:00 PM, SingularityofLight wrote:
At 6/30/2017 7:57:47 PM, Outplayz wrote:

Probably true. The break allows us time to reset from entrenching patterns of debate which, in themselves, aren't healthy.

Yes. I have noticed breaks from things i enjoy somehow make me come back to them even stronger. This is mostly physical activity like games, music, and sports. Maybe same holds true to this site... actually now i am curious if there has been a study about this... it might be subjective and just me.
"For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity." --- Jean Dubuffet

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.