Jump to topic:

Closer To The Truth

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 12:16:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Isn't it reassuring to know that some people used to be pagans and polytheists believe in multiple Gods?

.......Then they started believing in one God.

......So, they're getting closer to the truth all of the time.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 12:28:25 PM
At 7/11/2017 12:16:49 PM, Willows wrote:
Isn't it reassuring to know that some people used to be pagans and polytheists believe in multiple Gods?

Yeap the smaller the number of gods the more closed minded and bigoted people seem to get.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 1:19:00 PM
At 7/11/2017 12:28:25 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Yeap the smaller the number of gods the more closed minded and bigoted people seem to get.

I've just come up with a great idea.

Get yourself a large bag of lemons, chew them all, then sit down and write the word "bigot" until you can write no more.
Then perhaps, you will get the word out of your system once and for all and stop using it with every sentence.
Sort of like a lemon diet or a bigot cleansing diet.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 1:36:08 PM
At 7/11/2017 1:19:00 PM, Willows wrote:

I've just come up with a great idea.

Get yourself a large bag of lemons, chew them all, then sit down and write the word "bigot" until you can write no more.
Then perhaps, you will get the word out of your system once and for all and stop using it with every sentence.
Sort of like a lemon diet or a bigot cleansing diet.

I have an idea. Try not caring what anyone else chooses to do with their life and get over your daddy complex. There you go.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 1:49:29 PM

Bigotry isn't such a bad idea, is it? After all, you've admitted to being a bigot yourself.
So when you do it, it's aright, when others do it, then it suddenly becomes something of a flaw.

What a hypocrite you are.
And a bigot.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 1:55:01 PM
At 7/11/2017 1:49:29 PM, Omniverse wrote:

Bigotry isn't such a bad idea, is it? After all, you've admitted to being a bigot yourself.
So when you do it, it's aright, when others do it, then it suddenly becomes something of a flaw.

And a bigot.

It is a flaw but it's still exist and people are still bigots, even if I am one too. Honestly makes me a hypocrite? LOL of course with you people it does.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 1:56:51 PM

I'm sure that is intended as a cheap swipe at atheists, but it does contain a grain of truth. In general monotheistic faiths are less tolerant that polytheisms - for the obvious reason that polytheisms have more room for new and other gods. Monotheism can brook no other gods by definition.

I would say that religious intolerance was invented by the Jews during their exile in Babylon to ensure that Jewish culture (or at least the YHWHist priests' version it) was preserved. The very first commandment the priests listed was 'Thou shalt have no other god before me', which of course really means 'No other Priests before us'!
The OT is full of bad things happening to individuals and to the state of Israel whenever they strayed from YHWH to worship other gods. Historically most of those stories are nonsense, but they make sense as warnings to stay faithful to Jewish customs and no doubt the YHWHist priests used them to instill nationalist discipline on their people during their exile. I have to point out the priests were entirely successful - after 70 years of exile the Babylonians were defeated by the Persians and the exiles returned to Israel.

Before then, I can't think of a conflict that was over religion. In the ancient world, wars were fought for land, power, dynasty but not over religion. If monotheism had remained trapped within a small relatively insignifcant player on the world stage like anient Israel then history might have turned out rather differently, but by historical accident Christianity and Islam both derived from Judaism and inherited the intolerance monotheism entails.

Those religion were spread by the Roman and Mohamedan Empires respectively, and hence most of the old-world (and later the new world) came to be dominated by monontheism and hence dominated by monotheism's intolerance.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 1:58:13 PM
At 7/11/2017 1:56:51 PM, keithprosser wrote:

I'm sure that is intended as a cheap swipe at atheists, but it does contain a grain of truth. In general monotheistic faiths are less tolerant that polytheisms - for the obvious reason that polytheisms have more room for new and other gods. Monotheism can brook no other gods by definition.

I would say that religious intolerance was invented by the Jews during their exile in Babylon to ensure that Jewish culture (or at least the YHWHist priests' version it) was preserved. The very first commandment the priests listed was 'Thou shalt have no other god before me', which of course really means 'No other Priests before us'!
The OT is full of bad things happening to individuals and to the state of Israel whenever they strayed from YHWH to worship other gods. Historically most of those stories are nonsense, but they make sense as warnings to stay faithful to Jewish customs and no doubt the YHWHist priests used them to instill nationalist discipline on their people during their exile. I have to point out the priests were entirely successful - after 70 years of exile the Babylonians were defeated by the Persians and the exiles returned to Israel.

Before then, I can't think of a conflict that was over religion. In the ancient world, wars were fought for land, power, dynasty but not over religion. If monotheism had remained trapped within a small relatively insignifcant player on the world stage like anient Israel then history might have turned out rather differently, but by historical accident Christianity and Islam both derived from Judaism and inherited the intolerance monotheism entails.

Those religion were spread by the Roman and Mohamedan Empires respectively, and hence most of the old-world (and later the new world) came to be dominated by monontheism and hence dominated by monotheism's intolerance.

Thank the gods atheists are perfect huh?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 1:59:39 PM
At 7/11/2017 1:58:13 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as perfect, but most of us do OK!
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 2:00:05 PM
At 7/11/2017 1:55:01 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

And a bigot.

It is a flaw but it's still exist and people are still bigots, even if I am one too. Honestly makes me a hypocrite? LOL of course with you people it does.

A hypocrite, among other things, reprimands people for flaws he himself indulges in.
There's few post, correction, one-liners, you won't end with the epitaph "bigot".

I'm sorry, but you just qualify.
Deal with it.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 2:03:37 PM
At 7/11/2017 1:59:39 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 7/11/2017 1:58:13 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as perfect, but most of us do OK!

Exactly. Shame you are forced to engage on religious sights and not have your own place to be perfect together.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 2:04:40 PM
At 7/11/2017 2:00:05 PM, Omniverse wrote:

And a bigot.

A hypocrite, among other things, reprimands people for flaws he himself indulges in.
There's few post, correction, one-liners, you won't end with the epitaph "bigot".

Deal with it.

Poor thing. I bet it hurts your head at night I exist.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 2:11:33 PM
At 7/11/2017 2:04:40 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

And a bigot.

Deal with it.

I would be hard for me to care less.

From all the one-liners you've posted, I can tell there's nothing more to them than resentment, bitterness, anger and gratuitous name-calling. Never have you ever tried to put up a semblance of a case for polytheism. Ever. You don't present arguments, you don't offer counter arguments. Nothing. At least this far, your post history is the equivalent of a loo wall.

On a forum, of all places, dedicated to discussing religion, I take that as a candid admission your case for polytheism is, well, non-existent.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 2:42:44 PM
At 7/11/2017 2:11:33 PM, Omniverse wrote:

And a bigot.

Deal with it.

From all the one-liners you've posted, I can tell there's nothing more to them than resentment, bitterness, anger and gratuitous name-calling. Never have you ever tried to put up a semblance of a case for polytheism. Ever. You don't present arguments, you don't offer counter arguments. Nothing. At least this far, your post history is the equivalent of a loo wall.

On a forum, of all places, dedicated to discussing religion, I take that as a candid admission your case for polytheism is, well, non-existent.

LOL it always come down to this with atheists. I am not here to make a case for polytheism. I don't have to. I am entitled to my practice under the Constitution of the United States. I really don't care what your opinion of my religion is . I am here strictly to remind atheists they are human being with failings and their hate is not unnoticed.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 3:04:56 PM
At 7/11/2017 2:42:44 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

And a bigot.

Deal with it.

LOL it always come down to this with atheists. I am not here to make a case for polytheism. I don't have to. I am entitled to my practice under the Constitution of the United States.

No one is, or at least, I am not denying your constitutional right to take part in forum discussions in whatever way you deem fit. I am however expressing an opinion on the content of your participation. And whereas I express an opinion on you, specifically, on your posts, specifically, you always, every single time, come back with inane one-liners addressed to atheists at large.

You simply cannot grasp the distinction between the individual and an extremely loosely knit group. And that's your problem, not mine.

I really don't care what your opinion of my religion is .

The feeling is mutual. You have nothing to offer, nothing to contribute.
Your posts are mere waste of bandwidth.

I am here strictly to remind atheists

You lack such capacity. Vacuous one-liners filled with bitterness, resentment, misandry
and, last but least, hypocrisy shall not cut it.

they are human being with failings and their hate is not unnoticed.

No one here claims to be perfect, nor acts as though he were. In fact, the only people waging perfection around gere are the monotheists who insist their God is indeed perfect. Of course, you wouldn't notice that. You're too busy with your little hate campaign, posting your little hateful one-liners.

Your call out others' alleged bigotry but admit to yours. You call out others' hatred but behave in the most hateful way. Hopefully, one day you'll wake up and smell the coffee of your hypocrisy.

One-liners is all you can do.
And they're miserable even at that.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 3:26:34 PM
At 7/11/2017 3:04:56 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/11/2017 2:42:44 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

And a bigot.

Deal with it.

LOL it always come down to this with atheists. I am not here to make a case for polytheism. I don't have to. I am entitled to my practice under the Constitution of the United States.

No one is, or at least, I am not denying your constitutional right to take part in forum discussions in whatever way you deem fit. I am however expressing an opinion on the content of your participation. And whereas I express an opinion on you, specifically, on your posts, specifically, you always, every single time, come back with inane one-liners addressed to atheists at large.

You simply cannot grasp the distinction between the individual and an extremely loosely knit group. And that's your problem, not mine.

I really don't care what your opinion of my religion is .

The feeling is mutual. You have nothing to offer, nothing to contribute.
Your posts are mere waste of bandwidth.

I am here strictly to remind atheists

You lack such capacity. Vacuous one-liners filled with bitterness, resentment, misandry
and, last but least, hypocrisy shall not cut it.

they are human being with failings and their hate is not unnoticed.

No one here claims to be perfect, nor acts as though he were. In fact, the only people waging perfection around gere are the monotheists who insist their God is indeed perfect. Of course, you wouldn't notice that. You're too busy with your little hate campaign, posting your little hateful one-liners.

Your call out others' alleged bigotry but admit to yours. You call out others' hatred but behave in the most hateful way. Hopefully, one day you'll wake up and smell the coffee of your hypocrisy.

One-liners is all you can do.
And they're miserable even at that.

Nah, I will never overlook the hate and vitriol of atheists. They are not deserving of it.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 4:02:40 PM
At 7/11/2017 3:26:34 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Nah, I will never overlook the hate and vitriol of atheists. They are not deserving of it.

Atheists are not deserving of being overlooked? What more do we have to do to be deserving of being overlooked?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 5:31:57 PM

Until they believe in no gods at all. Then their minds are closed and locked tight. ;)
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 5:59:04 PM
At 7/11/2017 5:31:57 PM, PureX wrote:

Until they believe in no gods at all. Then their minds are closed and locked tight. ;)

This is amazing.

Here you are, chit chatting with someone who does nothing, absolutely nothing around here but spew vitriole and hatred against atheists, not even atheism, throwing blanket derogatory remark after blanket derogatory remark.

And of all the possible didactic commentary you'd be wise to offer, one gets this pearl of mockery and snide remark against atheists' alleged close-mindedness.

Yup.
It's becoming increasingly difficult to tell you apart from the vulgar blind anti-atheist bigot.

You must be proud.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 6:05:10 PM
At 7/11/2017 5:59:04 PM, Omniverse wrote:

This is amazing.

Here you are, chit chatting with someone who does nothing, absolutely nothing around here but spew vitriole and hatred against atheists, not even atheism, throwing blanket derogatory remark after blanket derogatory remark.

And of all the possible didactic commentary you'd be wise to offer, one gets this pearl of mockery and snide remark against atheists' alleged close-mindedness.

Yup.
It's becoming increasingly difficult to tell you apart from the vulgar blind anti-atheist bigot.

You must be proud.

Just as it is true that monotheists tend to be intolerant of other theological perspectives, it is also true that atheism closes the mind to all theistic consideration. I wasn't taking sides, I was simply pointing out the obvious.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 6:11:07 PM
At 7/11/2017 6:05:10 PM, PureX wrote:

This is amazing.

Yup.

You must be proud.

Just as it is true that monotheists tend to be intolerant of other theological perspectives, it is also true that atheism closes the mind to all theistic consideration.

Patently false.
A generalization, a blanket accusation asserted, as usual, without an once of substantiation.

I wasn't taking sides

Sure you were.
You took the opportunity to engage in cocktail chit chat with one of the most toxic members of this board, not to suggest change in her conduct, mind you, no, but to bash the common enemy.

You must be proud.
Or were you just hitting on her?

, I was simply pointing out the obvious.

I'm almost positive you thought you were.
Almost, but not quite.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 6:24:08 PM
At 7/11/2017 6:11:07 PM, Omniverse wrote:

This is amazing.

Yup.

You must be proud.

Just as it is true that monotheists tend to be intolerant of other theological perspectives, it is also true that atheism closes the mind to all theistic consideration.

Patently false.
A generalization, a blanket accusation asserted, as usual, without an once of substantiation.

I wasn't taking sides

Sure you were.
You took the opportunity to engage in cocktail chit chat with one of the most toxic members of this board, not to suggest change in her conduct, mind you, no, but to bash the common enemy.

You must be proud.
Or were you just hitting on her?

, I was simply pointing out the obvious.

I'm almost positive you thought you were.
Almost, but not quite.

To reject all theistic propositions is to close the mind to all theistic possibility.

What in this do you not understand? What about this demands "substantiation" beyond the atheist's claim of having rejected theism?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 6:30:20 PM
Just as it is true that monotheists tend to be intolerant of other theological perspectives, it is also true that atheism closes the mind to all theistic consideration. I wasn't taking sides, I was simply pointing out the obvious.

If person A says "Fairies exist" and person B says "No, Pixies exist" then it isn't close minded or bigoted for person C to say "You are both wrong."!

Are atheists close minded? In my experience almost all atheists have examined the data available to them and come to the conclusion that there is (probably!) no god. If there is an atheist out there who has closed his mind to new information then I haven't met him or her.... my point being that there is no new information out there.

I can't speak for all atheists, I can only speak for myself but if there is something that you, PureX, or anybody else thinks I haven't thought about nor already considered tell me about it now. But chances I are I've heard it all a hundred times before and its repetition doesn't do anything for its lack of persuasiveness. It isn't that I can't or won't consider what you might tell me - that would be close-mindedness. The point is I have almost certainly already fully considered it and rejected it.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 6:40:11 PM
At 7/11/2017 6:30:20 PM, keithprosser wrote:

If person A says "Fairies exist" and person B says "No, Pixies exist" then it isn't close minded or bigoted for person C to say "You are both wrong."!

Are atheists close minded? In my experience almost all atheists have examined the data available to them and come to the conclusion that there is (probably!) no god. If there is an atheist out there who has closed his mind to new information then I haven't met him or her.... my point being that there is no new information out there.

I can't speak for all atheists, I can only speak for myself but if there is something that you, PureX, or anybody else thinks I haven't thought about nor already considered tell me about it now. But chances I are I've heard it all a hundred times before and its repetition doesn't do anything for its lack of persuasiveness. It isn't that I can't or won't consider what you might tell me - that would be close-mindedness. The point is I have almost certainly already fully considered it and rejected it.

Most atheists are very closed minded. They tend to hate and are bigoted about theists and theism. Has nothing to do with truth or whether they believe.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 7:28:54 PM
At 7/11/2017 6:40:11 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Most atheists are very closed minded. They tend to hate and are bigoted about theists and theism. Has nothing to do with truth or whether they believe.

I have to wonder how many real-world atheists you have met. Not many would be my guess.
Goldtop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 7:40:14 PM
At 7/11/2017 6:40:11 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Fascinating. I seem to recall somewhere you mentioned the reason for your membership here was to remind atheists of such things. I'm not sure if you've explained the reasons for all that in detail somewhere as I haven't read all your posts, would that be the case? If so, I'd be most interested in reading it.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 9:39:13 PM

Except that no one, here, is discussing "fairies and pixies". So your point is irrelevant.

Are atheists close minded?

Yes. They have closed their minds to the possibilities of a God existing.

In my experience almost all atheists have examined the data available to them and come to the conclusion that there is (probably!) no god.

They are fools, in that the "data" they examine has nothing to do with the existence or non-existence of God.

If there is an atheist out there who has closed his mind to new information then I haven't met him or her.... my point being that there is no new information out there.

They have pretty much all closed their minds by demanding that others produce evidence that cannot logically exist before they will even re-consider the idea.

BANG! - That's the sound of your mind slamming shut.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2017 10:17:40 PM
At 7/11/2017 9:39:13 PM, PureX wrote:
BANG! - That's the sound of your mind slamming shut.

No, it's the sound of a door being opened wide! I am inviting you to point out something I may have missed, something that would cause me to reconsider. I just don't want you to repeat any of the old cliches and standards - you surely appreciate that there is nothing new you can tell me about the Kalam Cosmological argument for instance!
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2017 12:25:28 PM

How do you figure out that piece of ignominious crap?

By the very nature of prescribing to a particular faith, one must ignore any conflicting evidence, religion privileges faith over reason.

If you can"t think for yourself, no wonder you believe in a God.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2017 12:54:37 PM
At 7/12/2017 12:25:28 PM, Willows wrote:

How do you figure out that piece of ignominious crap?

By the very nature of prescribing to a particular faith, one must ignore any conflicting evidence, religion privileges faith over reason.

But you atheists keep claiming that there is no conflicting evidence. In fact, you keep claiming that there is no evidence at all. Which makes it exactly as logical and reasonable to believe in whatever god we like, as to believe in no gods at all.

If you can"t think for yourself, no wonder you believe in a God.

It's why all you really have to offer anyone in this conversation is insults. Because you have no evidence at all. Not even your own subjective evidence. At least the theist has that much.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.