Jump to topic:

The Holy Spirit

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2017 10:45:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
How does it communicate? What does it do ?

I've heard a lot about the Holy Spirit, and how it changes people, and how when it is in you, you are able to decern truth in the Bible.

Describe your personal experience with the Holy Spirit.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2017 11:51:29 PM
At 8/5/2017 10:45:19 PM, janesix wrote:

I've heard a lot about the Holy Spirit, and how it changes people, and how when it is in you, you are able to decern truth in the Bible.

Perhaps if Stephen, who is said to have been filled with the Holy Spirit, had lived long enough, he might have eventually been led into the truth that is revealed in the scriptures.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 12:01:01 AM
At 8/5/2017 11:51:29 PM, Gentorev wrote:

Perhaps if Stephen, who is said to have been filled with the Holy Spirit, had lived long enough, he might have eventually been led into the truth that is revealed in the scriptures.
Who is Stephen?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 1:06:52 AM
At 8/6/2017 12:01:01 AM, janesix wrote:

Who is Stephen?

You ask the question "WHO IS STEPHEN' which reveals that you are unfamiliar with the scriptures. Which means that it would be useless pursuing this subject with you.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 1:41:02 AM
At 8/6/2017 1:06:52 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Who is Stephen?

You ask the question "WHO IS STEPHEN' which reveals that you are unfamiliar with the scriptures. Which means that it would be useless pursuing this subject with you.

I don't need to know scriptures to understand the Holy Spirit, and people's experiences. What is YOUR experience?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 2:00:41 AM
At 8/6/2017 1:41:02 AM, janesix wrote:

Who is Stephen?

I don't need to know scriptures to understand the Holy Spirit, and people's experiences. What is YOUR experience?

From where did you learn of the Holy Spirit? From the scriptures or from some one who quoted from the scriptures?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 2:22:47 AM
At 8/6/2017 2:00:41 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Who is Stephen?

From where did you learn of the Holy Spirit? From the scriptures or from some one who quoted from the scriptures?

I read the Bible when I was 12. I don't remember much of it. I have read bits and pieces again since then, but I am now 44 years old. That was a long ago.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 2:42:16 AM
At 8/6/2017 2:22:47 AM, janesix wrote:

Who is Stephen?

I read the Bible when I was 12. I don't remember much of it. I have read bits and pieces again since then, but I am now 44 years old. That was a long ago.

So you admit to attacking that of which you are totally ignorant TO.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 2:45:46 AM
At 8/6/2017 2:42:16 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Who is Stephen?

I am attacking something? Where did you get that idea? Asking questions is attacking?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 3:07:12 AM
At 8/6/2017 2:45:46 AM, janesix wrote:

Who is Stephen?

I am attacking something? Where did you get that idea? Asking questions is attacking?

Then I apologise for so saying before checking your past posts that may or may not reveal that you have or have not attacked the scriptures, that you admit you are ignorant to, so we will leave that for the time being.

The Holy Spirit does lead the devoted biblical student into all truth, it also moves those like Stephen who was at that time, ignorant to the truths as revealed in the Hebrew Bible, to feel compassion for his fellow beings and to do good works as the righteous, but biblically ignorant Stephen did. See Acts 7.
Yongy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 9:40:01 AM

I have met a number of so called 'spirit filled' Christians in my life, without exception they were highly unpleasant individuals.

If the HS exists it is an very nasty entity. The infamous Toronto blessing, which had 'spirit filled' individuals making complete fools of themselves, some barking like dogs, is an example.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 1:32:14 PM
At 8/6/2017 3:07:12 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Who is Stephen?

Then I apologise for so saying before checking your past posts that may or may not reveal that you have or have not attacked the scriptures, that you admit you are ignorant to, so we will leave that for the time being.

The Holy Spirit does lead the devoted biblical student into all truth, it also moves those like Stephen who was at that time, ignorant to the truths as revealed in the Hebrew Bible, to feel compassion for his fellow beings and to do good works as the righteous, but biblically ignorant Stephen did. See Acts 7.

What a load of mythological, airy-fairy, mamby-pamby crap.

As if someone who asserts such nonsense as having anything to do with the "truth"? Call it belief, faith, whatever delusionary euphemism you like but for the sake of anyone with half a brain.....leave the word "truth" out of your whacky assertions.
Goldtop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2017 4:58:54 PM

The Holy Spirit does lead the devoted biblical student into all truth...

The obvious question at this point is to ask how many Holy Spirits are there, one for each denomination of Christianity? Tens of thousands of Holy Spirits or just a handful or two that define the five major denominations?

"Some groups included on this list do not consider themselves denominations. For example, the Catholic Church considers itself the one true church and the Apostolic see, and as pre-denominational.[1] The Orthodox Church also considers itself the original Church, and pre-denominational.

Other groups that are viewed by non-adherents as denominational are highly decentralized and do not have any formal denominational structure, authority, or record-keeping beyond the local congregation; several groups within Restoration Movement fall into this category.

Some groups are large (e.g. Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans or Baptists), while others are just a few small churches, and in most cases the relative size is not evident in this list. Modern movements such as Fundamentalist Christianity, Pietism, Evangelicalism, Pentecostalism and the Holiness movement sometimes cross denominational lines, or in some cases create new denominations out of two or more continuing groups (as is the case for many United and uniting churches, for example). Such subtleties and complexities are not clearly depicted here.

Between denominations, theologians, and comparative religionists there are considerable disagreements about which groups can be properly called Christian "

https://en.wikipedia.org...
rextr05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 7:32:52 PM

Who is Stephen?

Umm, looking back on his/her posts, it seems that you were correct with your previous assumption re no knowledge re the bible.

I kinda describe the Holy Spirit as that "little voice in the back of your mind," that enables us to perceive, guide & convict us as we go thru life.
Goldtop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 10:04:54 PM
At 8/7/2017 7:32:52 PM, rextr05 wrote:

Who is Stephen?

Umm, looking back on his/her posts, it seems that you were correct with your previous assumption re no knowledge re the bible.

I kinda describe the Holy Spirit as that "little voice in the back of your mind," that enables us to perceive, guide & convict us as we go thru life.

Isn't that little voice just you working out the logistics of your life as you go thru it? I mean, that little voice has not been right 100% of the time, that's how you know it's just you and not some invisible fairy.

Or, are you hearing voices in your head?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 10:33:06 PM
At 8/7/2017 10:04:54 PM, Goldtop wrote:

Who is Stephen?

Isn't that little voice just you working out the logistics of your life as you go thru it? I mean, that little voice has not been right 100% of the time, that's how you know it's just you and not some invisible fairy.

Within the innermost sanctuary of your being, behind the veil of the flesh, dwells your parental Spirit, which is the compilation of all the information gathered by all your ancestors, human and pre-human, in the evolution of whatever was in the beginning to become 'WNO YOU ARE,' This is the guiding spirit who lights the way for all those who are capable of hearing and obeying that still quite voice.

Which obviously, perverted minds do not listen to.
rextr05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2017 10:42:34 PM

Who is Stephen?

Isn't that little voice just you working out the logistics of your life as you go thru it?

Many times yes. Why would you think I am referring to working things out re the easy stuff any other way? Remember what they say about assuming right?

I mean, that little voice has not been right 100% of the time, that's how you know it's just you and not some invisible fairy.

Don't believe in fairies.

& yes, when I am about to do something that isn't absolutely beneficial in some way, that little voice is always correct.

I gotta ask ...... if I am not harming you in any way, which I am not, why are you attacking my belief? Have I ever told you anything re me personally that would enrage you to attempt to mock me, or have I ever attacked your belief as a ..... non believer? Nope. I have only told you that you do not follow any sense of debate protocol, which is the truth, which also makes it very difficult to discuss anything with someone like that.

So, why is it that you feel it's your job to attempt to demean others just cuz they don't agree with your belief system re God? Ya now, they have a description for a person such as you. I'll let you guess.

You ought to listen ..... you may just benefit greatly. Have a blessed evening.
Goldtop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 3:13:46 AM
At 8/7/2017 10:42:34 PM, rextr05 wrote:

Who is Stephen?

Isn't that little voice just you working out the logistics of your life as you go thru it?

Many times yes. Why would you think I am referring to working things out re the easy stuff any other way? Remember what they say about assuming right?

I mean, that little voice has not been right 100% of the time, that's how you know it's just you and not some invisible fairy.

Something very similar?

& yes, when I am about to do something that isn't absolutely beneficial in some way, that little voice is always correct.

Amazing how that works.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 5:06:05 AM
To Goldtop concerning the parental spirit within.

I"m sittin at me table and me mind's a bloody blank,
Can't seem to think of a single thing to say.
There's a million yarns inside me, I'm like a story savin bank,
A new yarn I deposit every day.
But today I just can't find the key to unlock this flamin safe,
So I'm sttin here and I'm at a total loss
To express the thoughts inside me, I wonder if there might be
Some simple explanation from me boss.
Cos me boss dwells deep inside me, at the centre of me being,
It's He who make the rules and if I stray,
I feels the repercussions of me wrong and sinful actions:
He don't protect me from my folly in anyway.
So through the years I've learnt to listen,
Though at time He's only whispering
And it's hard to know exactly what to do.
But I think if I am trying to be honest and not lying
To myself""". He'll see me through.
And the reason words aren't flowin,
Could be---because me boss is knowin
That it's time for me to take a little rest.
So I'll get up from this damned table
And take a holiday if I'm able,"
I think I'll take a little trip and go back west.....Gentorev.

Go back some 4 million years and look for the ancestral plant of our modern day pear tree, it will be there, but you will never find if, it will have millions of years of evolution, before it even resembles the pear tree of today

I Never cease to wonder midst the lightening and the thunder
How a million tons of water can just hang there in the sky
And the snow flakes, have you seed them? Such diversity between them
Never two of them the same, I wonder why?

Nature poses many questions and though the scientists may test them
And discover many secrets that she hides
I"ll bet if they could live forever, with all their studies and endeavours
In the end they"d be like us, still mystified

For the world is ever changing, interacting, rearranging
The only constant that you"ll find, is constant change
Take a plant as one example and the evidence is ample
You"ll never find a pair that are the same

Or view it from a different slant: take a photo of a plant
And each------ successive generation as they grow
Then in a million years or so, compare the first and last photo
Or better still----run all the film out in one long row

Then you"ll see the gradual change, no two plants will be the same
Old evolution definitely holds its sway
For each seed must have within it, all the experience of its parent
And In the end result, each plant will have its say"..Gentorev.

Why don't you try to listen to the voice of your ancestral spirit, who dwells behind the veil of the flesh within the innermost sanctuary, of the womb in which You, the invisible controlling godhead to that body develops from all the information taken in through the senses of that body/womb.

You are body, soul and spirit. Your body is created from the universal elements, and it is activated by the universal soul, which is the animating principle that pervades the entire universal body, activating everything within the universe, from the wave particles to the subatomic particles that make up the atoms which are the building blocks of the molecules from which the universal body is created. It is to the universal soul=LIFE-FORCE, that all information = SPIRIT is gathered.

"YOU" the mind, are spirit. The body in which you, [The mind] are developing as the supreme head and controller of that body, is made up of the universal elements, which is activated by the soul [Animating life force] to which all the spirit [gathered information] of all your ancestors, human and prehuman, has been gathered in its evolution to become who you are, and that parental spirit dwells behind the veil of the flesh to the inner most sanctuary of its earthly tabernacle=tent, which is your body.

If that body in which your parental spirit dwells, were born without the sense of sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc, then no information whatsoever could be taken into the brain, and "YOU" who are spirit [Gathered information] could never have begun to develop and the living body, in which the parental spirit dwells, would soon die, never having developed a personality = "CONTROLLING GODHEAD" to that body, which godhead should be an obedient servant to "WHO YOU ARE."
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 6:13:03 AM
At 8/8/2017 5:20:59 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/8/2017 5:06:05 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Do you put faith in the words of Bernard Shaw? Do you believe that he is infallible, as the catholics concerning the pope do?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 6:16:04 AM
At 8/8/2017 6:13:03 AM, Gentorev wrote:

Do you put faith in the words of Bernard Shaw? Do you believe that he is infallible, as the catholics concerning the pope do?
What does that have to do with your pretend spirit within?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 7:50:04 AM
At 8/8/2017 6:16:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

Not pretend spirit mate. You are connected to the very beginning of Life on earth by an unbroken genetic thread of life, that which has become the body in which YOU the mind are developing, has always existed in one form or another.

The invisible spirit/mind that is 'YOU;' is the information that has been taken into its brain from the day that it was . Without the senses of that body through which the information that was taken in, You could not have developed.

Nor could that body have been created without all the information/Spirit, which was gathered by all your forbears, having been past from one generation to the other from the beginnings of life on this earth; This is your parental Spirit and you are its temporary Tabernacle/tent, where, behind the veil of the flesh, within the innermost sanctuary, your parental spirit dwell as it awaits the final stage of the designed evolutionary process from which 'THE SON OF MANKIND' is born into the spiritual family of God.

The mind can only receive the reward that the mind believes and your belief is eternal oblivion, when the spirit that is you is divided from the universal life force/soul and that portion of the eternal soul will be cast back into the refining fires of physical life, where it will be given a new spirit/mind. in the next cycle of universal activity..

Once the physical womb in which YOU the invisible mind/spirit has returned to the universal elements from which it was created, 'YOU" will still exist within the Universal soul/life force.

You cannot be seen, but we can visualise 'YOU; by listening to your words which are the expression of the information/spirit that is YOU.

And I aint real keen on what I visualise.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 7:57:55 AM
At 8/8/2017 7:50:04 AM, Gentorev wrote:

And the name is George Bernard Shaw.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 9:16:46 AM
At 8/8/2017 7:57:55 AM, bulproof wrote:

George Bernard Shaw preferred to be called Bernard Shaw. The quote of Bernard Shaw, you used, must have been the only thing that you ever read about the man.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 12:39:15 PM

The Holy Spirit according to the Bible is a helper and comforter. So whatever you find helps you or makes you comfortable therein lies the Holy Spirit. A few examples. A hand to a masturbator, vibrator , spirited drink, aspirin or a cheque in the mail.
Goldtop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 2:32:07 PM

I"m sittin at me table and me mind's a bloody blank,
Can't seem to think of a single thing to say.
There's a million yarns inside me, I'm like a story savin bank,
A new yarn I deposit every day.
But today I just can't find the key to unlock this flamin safe,
So I'm sttin here and I'm at a total loss
To express the thoughts inside me, I wonder if there might be
Some simple explanation from me boss.
Cos me boss dwells deep inside me, at the centre of me being,
It's He who make the rules and if I stray,
I feels the repercussions of me wrong and sinful actions:
He don't protect me from my folly in anyway.
So through the years I've learnt to listen,
Though at time He's only whispering
And it's hard to know exactly what to do.
But I think if I am trying to be honest and not lying
To myself""". He'll see me through.
And the reason words aren't flowin,
Could be---because me boss is knowin
That it's time for me to take a little rest.
So I'll get up from this damned table
And take a holiday if I'm able,"
I think I'll take a little trip and go back west.....Gentorev.

Go back some 4 million years and look for the ancestral plant of our modern day pear tree, it will be there, but you will never find if, it will have millions of years of evolution, before it even resembles the pear tree of today

I Never cease to wonder midst the lightening and the thunder
How a million tons of water can just hang there in the sky
And the snow flakes, have you seed them? Such diversity between them
Never two of them the same, I wonder why?

Nature poses many questions and though the scientists may test them
And discover many secrets that she hides
I"ll bet if they could live forever, with all their studies and endeavours
In the end they"d be like us, still mystified

For the world is ever changing, interacting, rearranging
The only constant that you"ll find, is constant change
Take a plant as one example and the evidence is ample
You"ll never find a pair that are the same

Or view it from a different slant: take a photo of a plant
And each------ successive generation as they grow
Then in a million years or so, compare the first and last photo
Or better still----run all the film out in one long row

Then you"ll see the gradual change, no two plants will be the same
Old evolution definitely holds its sway
For each seed must have within it, all the experience of its parent
And In the end result, each plant will have its say"..Gentorev.

Why don't you try to listen to the voice of your ancestral spirit, who dwells behind the veil of the flesh within the innermost sanctuary, of the womb in which You, the invisible controlling godhead to that body develops from all the information taken in through the senses of that body/womb.

You are body, soul and spirit. Your body is created from the universal elements, and it is activated by the universal soul, which is the animating principle that pervades the entire universal body, activating everything within the universe, from the wave particles to the subatomic particles that make up the atoms which are the building blocks of the molecules from which the universal body is created. It is to the universal soul=LIFE-FORCE, that all information = SPIRIT is gathered.

"YOU" the mind, are spirit. The body in which you, [The mind] are developing as the supreme head and controller of that body, is made up of the universal elements, which is activated by the soul [Animating life force] to which all the spirit [gathered information] of all your ancestors, human and prehuman, has been gathered in its evolution to become who you are, and that parental spirit dwells behind the veil of the flesh to the inner most sanctuary of its earthly tabernacle=tent, which is your body.

If that body in which your parental spirit dwells, were born without the sense of sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc, then no information whatsoever could be taken into the brain, and "YOU" who are spirit [Gathered information] could never have begun to develop and the living body, in which the parental spirit dwells, would soon die, never having developed a personality = "CONTROLLING GODHEAD" to that body, which godhead should be an obedient servant to "WHO YOU ARE."

You spend a lot of time fantasizing, don't you, G?
FollowerofChrist1955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 3:13:29 PM

It is the proof of the "Born Again" believer.
Example....
It's presence instantaneously converts a soul walking in sin, to "Avoidance of sin" in a moment of time.

It "Prevents the believer" from ever LIVING IN SIN, for any length of time.ever again!

It "Gives instant understanding " to the Bible's most important truths.

It "Immediately Gives" the born again believer the overwhelming desire to "KNOW" God.

It ""Immediately SEALS" the born again believer too God.

It "Cannot" be faked!

Ezekiel 36:26
"Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

Explanation: because Man is fallen and incapable of stopping sin. The Heart of the believer, is not healed ..... because mans heart cannot BE Healed .... it must be "replaced" this is done by the Hly Spirits indwelling, the believer. This explains WHY the believer "IS INSTANTLY CHANGED FROM WITHIN" the old nature slain, the new nature, now the sole source of Life.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 3:17:11 PM
At 8/8/2017 9:16:46 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 8/8/2017 7:57:55 AM, bulproof wrote:

George Bernard Shaw preferred to be called Bernard Shaw. The quote of Bernard Shaw, you used, must have been the only thing that you ever read about the man.
You're still running away from the question.
Man up!
rextr05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2017 4:33:48 PM
At 8/8/2017 3:13:46 AM, Goldtop wrote:
At 8/7/2017 10:42:34 PM, rextr05 wrote:

Who is Stephen?

Something very similar?

Not that I can think of.

Amazing how that works.

Isn't it tho? Try it ..... you may like it.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.