Total Posts:108|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26

Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 4:01:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
In Genesis 1:26 (NKJV), God says, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness ..." I'm convinced that Jesus is included in the "Us," but Trinitarians and Jehovah's Witnesses interpret this differently. Trinitarians point out the next verse, 27, which only mentions God as making man in His image. They thus argue that God alone is the "Us," making Jesus God as well as the Father. Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, believe that the reason verse 27 only lists God is that He created "through" Jesus (c.f., Heb. 1:1-2).

The latter interpretation allows for Jesus to be part of the "Us" without being God. Is there a Trinitarian rebuttal to this approach of Genesis 1:26-27?
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 4:16:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Funny first post!
God's son WAS there- with the OTHER spirit beings (angels)- Job 38.
And even his reference states that God made all things THRU His son.

And these two church chimps ridicule us for actually believing scripture, instead of their church porn, which perverts it to~

Genesis 1:1- In the beginning The Triune Gods created the heavens and the earth.
2 - Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the God-the-Ghost was hovering to and fro over the waters.
26-Then the Triune Majesty said, "Let us make man in our images, in our likenesses: they too, will have a Triune Personality!
27- So the Triune God created mankind in Their own images, in the image of the Holy Twinity They created them; male and female Them created them. - RCV

- https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 5:27:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 4:16:10 PM, theMadJW wrote:
Funny first post!
God's son WAS there- with the OTHER spirit beings (angels)- Job 38.
And even his reference states that God made all things THRU His son.

And these two church chimps ridicule us for actually believing scripture, instead of their church porn, which perverts it to~

Genesis 1:1- In the beginning The Triune Gods created the heavens and the earth.
2 - Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the God-the-Ghost was hovering to and fro over the waters.
26-Then the Triune Majesty said, "Let us make man in our images, in our likenesses: they too, will have a Triune Personality!
27- So the Triune God created mankind in Their own images, in the image of the Holy Twinity They created them; male and female Them created them. - RCV

- https://themadjw.weebly.com...


Trinitarians don't believe in "Gods" but one God who exists as three Persons. I admit the concept seems weird, but should Gen. 1:26-27 show God to call Himself "Us," then obviously we should believe it. However, while I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, I'm open to your interpretation of this passage should trinitarians not have a satisfying rebuttal.
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 5:34:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 5:27:25 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
Trinitarians don't believe in "Gods" but one God who exists as three Persons. I admit the concept seems weird, but should Gen. 1:26-27 show God to call Himself "Us," then obviously we should believe it. However, while I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, I'm open to your interpretation of this passage should trinitarians not have a satisfying rebuttal.

It's not only "weird", Kilk- it's Phony.
Three "Co-Equal" ( Co-ALMIGHTY) Beings means THREE Gods- the Catholic Spin of SAYING they are 'one' God not only doesn't MAKE it so, but is ridiculous and against all scripture- including Jesus, who said his God and Father is the ONLY true God!


(And Gen 1 does NOT mention 3 God-Beings)
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 6:45:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 6:27:21 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
What is the trinitarian response to the JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26-27?

You're NOT a Trinnie?????
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 7:24:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 6:45:55 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:27:21 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
What is the trinitarian response to the JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26-27?

You're NOT a Trinnie?????

I believe that Jesus is God (John 1:1) in the fullest sense (Col. 2:9), while at the same time agreeing with you that the Father is God, even though there is only one God (Ex. 20:3). If this somewhat confusing concept makes me a "Trinnie," then so be it. Regardless, I'm open to the view that "Us" and "Our" in Genesis 1:26 can include Jesus without in and of itself making Him God, should the alternative interpretation be shown to be inadequate.
Harikrish
Posts: 30,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 7:59:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 4:01:58 AM, Kilk1 wrote:
In Genesis 1:26 (NKJV), God says, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness ..." I'm convinced that Jesus is included in the "Us," but Trinitarians and Jehovah's Witnesses interpret this differently. Trinitarians point out the next verse, 27, which only mentions God as making man in His image. They thus argue that God alone is the "Us," making Jesus God as well as the Father. Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, believe that the reason verse 27 only lists God is that He created "through" Jesus (c.f., Heb. 1:1-2).

The latter interpretation allows for Jesus to be part of the "Us" without being God. Is there a Trinitarian rebuttal to this approach of Genesis 1:26-27?

There is little doubt in scriptures that God solicited help from his angels, prophets, jesus and even the Holy Spirit. Whether it was done because he was incompetent or out of a spirit of cooperation. The results prove he needed all the help he could get because after all these billions of years the world is still not perfect. Limiting God to a trinity or a singularity is purely academic. As one of three he is still tbe same bumbling genocidal maniac that declared.

Genesis 6:7 So the LORD said, "I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created--and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground--for I regret that I have made them."
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 8:01:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 7:24:40 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:45:55 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:27:21 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
What is the trinitarian response to the JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26-27?

You're NOT a Trinnie?????

I believe that Jesus is God (John 1:1) in the fullest sense (Col. 2:9), while at the same time agreeing with you that the Father is God, even though there is only one God (Ex. 20:3). If this somewhat confusing concept makes me a "Trinnie," then so be it. Regardless, I'm open to the view that "Us" and "Our" in Genesis 1:26 can include Jesus without in and of itself making Him God, should the alternative interpretation be shown to be inadequate.

Wouldn't there also be your Catholic-Fabricated 'Holy Ghost' God, as well?
Didn't look up Job 38, either?
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 8:20:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 8:01:13 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 7:24:40 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:45:55 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:27:21 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
What is the trinitarian response to the JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26-27?

You're NOT a Trinnie?????

I believe that Jesus is God (John 1:1) in the fullest sense (Col. 2:9), while at the same time agreeing with you that the Father is God, even though there is only one God (Ex. 20:3). If this somewhat confusing concept makes me a "Trinnie," then so be it. Regardless, I'm open to the view that "Us" and "Our" in Genesis 1:26 can include Jesus without in and of itself making Him God, should the alternative interpretation be shown to be inadequate.

Wouldn't there also be your Catholic-Fabricated 'Holy Ghost' God, as well?

Yeah, the Holy Spirit is part of the picture as well. But agreeing with Catholics on this issue doesn't make me one of them any more than disagreeing with them on baptism makes me a Jehovah's Witness.

Didn't look up Job 38, either?

I agree that Job 38:7 shows that angels existed when the world was made. This doesn't mean they created, though. To my knowledge, all the passages that actually discuss making or creating don't mention angels as being involved.

In Exodus 20:3 (NKJV), God says, "You shall have no other gods before Me." Wouldn't teaching that Jesus is an "other god" contradict this passage? If not, what does "other gods" mean here?
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2018 8:35:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 8:20:52 PM, Kilk1 wrote: I agree that Job 38:7 shows that angels existed when the world was made. This doesn't mean they created, though. To my knowledge, all the passages that actually discuss making or creating don't mention angels as being involved.

The angels ("Messengers") always help God- even though it isn't always mentioned- and God's son LEADS them, and it WAS specified that God made all things THROUGH Jesus- Heb 1.

In Exodus 20:3 (NKJV), God says, "You shall have no other gods before Me." Wouldn't teaching that Jesus is an "other god" contradict this passage? If not, what does "other gods" mean here?

MOSES, angels, and Jesus were called "God" by...GOD!
Because they SPOKE ("word") for Him.
Satan is called the God of this world.
That is why Jesus said his Father is the >>> ONLY <<< true God.
AND, in the OT, Jehovah was referring to the imaginary Gods of the surrounding nations.

Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2018 1:16:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 8:35:03 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 8:20:52 PM, Kilk1 wrote: I agree that Job 38:7 shows that angels existed when the world was made. This doesn't mean they created, though. To my knowledge, all the passages that actually discuss making or creating don't mention angels as being involved.

The angels ("Messengers") always help God- even though it isn't always mentioned- and God's son LEADS them, and it WAS specified that God made all things THROUGH Jesus- Heb 1.

In Exodus 20:3 (NKJV), God says, "You shall have no other gods before Me." Wouldn't teaching that Jesus is an "other god" contradict this passage? If not, what does "other gods" mean here?

MOSES, angels, and Jesus were called "God" by...GOD!
Because they SPOKE ("word") for Him.
Satan is called the God of this world.
That is why Jesus said his Father is the >>> ONLY <<< true God.
AND, in the OT, Jehovah was referring to the imaginary Gods of the surrounding nations.



Can you cite the passages that show Moses or angels to be called God/gods?
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2018 7:11:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2018 1:16:12 AM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/3/2018 8:35:03 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 8:20:52 PM, Kilk1 wrote: I agree that Job 38:7 shows that angels existed when the world was made. This doesn't mean they created, though. To my knowledge, all the passages that actually discuss making or creating don't mention angels as being involved.

The angels ("Messengers") always help God- even though it isn't always mentioned- and God's son LEADS them, and it WAS specified that God made all things THROUGH Jesus- Heb 1.

In Exodus 20:3 (NKJV), God says, "You shall have no other gods before Me." Wouldn't teaching that Jesus is an "other god" contradict this passage? If not, what does "other gods" mean here?

MOSES, angels, and Jesus were called "God" by...GOD!
Because they SPOKE ("word") for Him.
Satan is called the God of this world.
That is why Jesus said his Father is the >>> ONLY <<< true God.
AND, in the OT, Jehovah was referring to the imaginary Gods of the surrounding nations.



Can you cite the passages that show Moses or angels to be called God/gods?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex 7:1- And Jehovah said to Moses, See, I have made thee God to Pharaoh; and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.!

Judges 6:11- But one day the Angel of Jehgovah came and sat beneath the oak tree at Ophrah, on the farm of Joash the Abiezrite. Joash"s son, Gideon, had been threshing wheat by hand in the bottom of a grape press"a pit where grapes were pressed to make wine"for he was hiding from the Midianites.
12- The Angel of Jehovah appeared to him and said, "Mighty soldier, the Lord is with you!"
13- "Stranger," Gideon replied, "ifJehovah is with us, why has all this happened to us? And where are all the miracles our ancestors have told us about"such as when God brought them out of Egypt? Now Jehovah has thrown us away and has let the Midianites completely ruin us."
14- Then Jehovah turned to him and said, "I will make you strong! Go and save Israel from the Midianites! I am sending you!"
15- But Gideon replied, "Sir, how can I save Israel? My family is the poorest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least thought of in the entire family!"
16- Whereupon Jehovah said to him, "But I, Jehovah, will be with you! And you shall quickly destroy the Midianite hordes!"
them under the tree, and >>> they ate. <<<


I admire the fact that you Question rather than ASSume!
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2018 4:03:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2018 7:11:53 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/4/2018 1:16:12 AM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/3/2018 8:35:03 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 8:20:52 PM, Kilk1 wrote: I agree that Job 38:7 shows that angels existed when the world was made. This doesn't mean they created, though. To my knowledge, all the passages that actually discuss making or creating don't mention angels as being involved.

The angels ("Messengers") always help God- even though it isn't always mentioned- and God's son LEADS them, and it WAS specified that God made all things THROUGH Jesus- Heb 1.

In Exodus 20:3 (NKJV), God says, "You shall have no other gods before Me." Wouldn't teaching that Jesus is an "other god" contradict this passage? If not, what does "other gods" mean here?

MOSES, angels, and Jesus were called "God" by...GOD!
Because they SPOKE ("word") for Him.
Satan is called the God of this world.
That is why Jesus said his Father is the >>> ONLY <<< true God.
AND, in the OT, Jehovah was referring to the imaginary Gods of the surrounding nations.



Can you cite the passages that show Moses or angels to be called God/gods?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex 7:1- And Jehovah said to Moses, See, I have made thee God to Pharaoh; and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.!


Judges 6:11- But one day the Angel of Jehgovah came and sat beneath the oak tree at Ophrah, on the farm of Joash the Abiezrite. Joash"s son, Gideon, had been threshing wheat by hand in the bottom of a grape press"a pit where grapes were pressed to make wine"for he was hiding from the Midianites.
12- The Angel of Jehovah appeared to him and said, "Mighty soldier, the Lord is with you!"
13- "Stranger," Gideon replied, "ifJehovah is with us, why has all this happened to us? And where are all the miracles our ancestors have told us about"such as when God brought them out of Egypt? Now Jehovah has thrown us away and has let the Midianites completely ruin us."
14- Then Jehovah turned to him and said, "I will make you strong! Go and save Israel from the Midianites! I am sending you!"
15- But Gideon replied, "Sir, how can I save Israel? My family is the poorest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least thought of in the entire family!"
16- Whereupon Jehovah said to him, "But I, Jehovah, will be with you! And you shall quickly destroy the Midianite hordes!"
them under the tree, and >>> they ate. <<<


I admire the fact that you Question rather than ASSume!

Okay, I take it your argument is that these people can be called God because they represent Him. To make sure I understand the correlation, are you saying that Jesus is called God due to representing Him, or do you believe the Son is a lesser god--having some god-like attributes but lacking others?
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2018 4:08:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is there anyone here who uses Genesis 1:26-27 to support the Trinity? If so, how would you deal with the JW interpretation? I've read rebuttals to the majestic plural interpretation and the angelic interpretation, but I can't find anything on the JW interpretation.
graceofgod
Posts: 10,088
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2018 5:06:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 4:16:10 PM, theMadJW wrote:
Funny first post!
God's son WAS there- with the OTHER spirit beings (angels)- Job 38.
And even his reference states that God made all things THRU His son.

And these two church chimps ridicule us for actually believing scripture, instead of their church porn, which perverts it to~

Genesis 1:1- In the beginning The Triune Gods created the heavens and the earth.
2 - Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the God-the-Ghost was hovering to and fro over the waters.
26-Then the Triune Majesty said, "Let us make man in our images, in our likenesses: they too, will have a Triune Personality!
27- So the Triune God created mankind in Their own images, in the image of the Holy Twinity They created them; male and female Them created them. - RCV

- https://themadjw.weebly.com...


it says
John 1.3
King James Bible
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
so Jesus cannot have been created as he could not have been there to create himself....
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2018 11:41:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2018 5:06:06 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 2/3/2018 4:16:10 PM, theMadJW wrote:
Funny first post!
God's son WAS there- with the OTHER spirit beings (angels)- Job 38.
And even his reference states that God made all things THRU His son.

And these two church chimps ridicule us for actually believing scripture, instead of their church porn, which perverts it to~

Genesis 1:1- In the beginning The Triune Gods created the heavens and the earth.
2 - Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the God-the-Ghost was hovering to and fro over the waters.
26-Then the Triune Majesty said, "Let us make man in our images, in our likenesses: they too, will have a Triune Personality!
27- So the Triune God created mankind in Their own images, in the image of the Holy Twinity They created them; male and female Them created them. - RCV

- https://themadjw.weebly.com...


it says
John 1.3
King James Bible
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
so Jesus cannot have been created as he could not have been there to create himself....

Your church has trained you well; pluck a scripture you can spin, ignore the rest- such as~

Heb 1: 1- In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2- but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and >>> THROUGH <<< whom also he made the universe.
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 12:08:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2018 7:11:53 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/4/2018 1:16:12 AM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/3/2018 8:35:03 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 8:20:52 PM, Kilk1 wrote: I agree that Job 38:7 shows that angels existed when the world was made. This doesn't mean they created, though. To my knowledge, all the passages that actually discuss making or creating don't mention angels as being involved.

The angels ("Messengers") always help God- even though it isn't always mentioned- and God's son LEADS them, and it WAS specified that God made all things THROUGH Jesus- Heb 1.

In Exodus 20:3 (NKJV), God says, "You shall have no other gods before Me." Wouldn't teaching that Jesus is an "other god" contradict this passage? If not, what does "other gods" mean here?

MOSES, angels, and Jesus were called "God" by...GOD!
Because they SPOKE ("word") for Him.
Satan is called the God of this world.
That is why Jesus said his Father is the >>> ONLY <<< true God.
AND, in the OT, Jehovah was referring to the imaginary Gods of the surrounding nations.



Can you cite the passages that show Moses or angels to be called God/gods?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex 7:1- And Jehovah said to Moses, See, I have made thee God to Pharaoh; and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.!


Judges 6:11- But one day the Angel of Jehgovah came and sat beneath the oak tree at Ophrah, on the farm of Joash the Abiezrite. Joash"s son, Gideon, had been threshing wheat by hand in the bottom of a grape press"a pit where grapes were pressed to make wine"for he was hiding from the Midianites.
12- The Angel of Jehovah appeared to him and said, "Mighty soldier, the Lord is with you!"
13- "Stranger," Gideon replied, "ifJehovah is with us, why has all this happened to us? And where are all the miracles our ancestors have told us about"such as when God brought them out of Egypt? Now Jehovah has thrown us away and has let the Midianites completely ruin us."
14- Then Jehovah turned to him and said, "I will make you strong! Go and save Israel from the Midianites! I am sending you!"
15- But Gideon replied, "Sir, how can I save Israel? My family is the poorest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least thought of in the entire family!"
16- Whereupon Jehovah said to him, "But I, Jehovah, will be with you! And you shall quickly destroy the Midianite hordes!"
them under the tree, and >>> they ate. <<<


I admire the fact that you Question rather than ASSume!

Okay, I take it your argument is that these people can be called God because they represent Him. To make sure I understand the correlation, are you saying that Jesus is called God due to representing Him, or do you believe the Son is a lesser god--having some god-like attributes but lacking others?
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 12:13:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been waiting to hear a rebuttal to the JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26-27 by a trinitarian. Is there anyone who can explain if there's anything wrong with the way Jehovah's Witnesses see this passage?
Gentorev
Posts: 5,981
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 12:34:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2018 7:24:40 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:45:55 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:27:21 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
What is the trinitarian response to the JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26-27?

You're NOT a Trinnie?????

I believe that Jesus is God (John 1:1) in the fullest sense (Col. 2:9), while at the same time agreeing with you that the Father is God, even though there is only one God (Ex. 20:3). If this somewhat confusing concept makes me a "Trinnie," then so be it. Regardless, I'm open to the view that "Us" and "Our" in Genesis 1:26 can include Jesus without in and of itself making Him God, should the alternative interpretation be shown to be inadequate.

Perhaps it was the triad God of Harikrish, [Brahman, Vishnu and Shiva] who said, "And now let us make man in our image and likeness.
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 12:54:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2018 12:34:46 AM, Gentorev wrote:
At 2/3/2018 7:24:40 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:45:55 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/3/2018 6:27:21 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
What is the trinitarian response to the JW interpretation of Genesis 1:26-27?

You're NOT a Trinnie?????

I believe that Jesus is God (John 1:1) in the fullest sense (Col. 2:9), while at the same time agreeing with you that the Father is God, even though there is only one God (Ex. 20:3). If this somewhat confusing concept makes me a "Trinnie," then so be it. Regardless, I'm open to the view that "Us" and "Our" in Genesis 1:26 can include Jesus without in and of itself making Him God, should the alternative interpretation be shown to be inadequate.

Perhaps it was the triad God of Harikrish, [Brahman, Vishnu and Shiva] who said, "And now let us make man in our image and likeness.

Lol, I'll believe it as soon as you show me where Brahman, Vishnu, and Shiva are in the Bible and show them being called "God."
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 5:20:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2018 12:08:47 AM, Kilk1 wrote:

Okay, I take it your argument is that these people can be called God because they represent Him. To make sure I understand the correlation, are you saying that Jesus is called God due to representing Him, or do you believe the Son is a lesser god--having some god-like attributes but lacking others?

Neither Jesus, Moses, nor the Judges of Israel were "lesser Gods".
It is GOD, not we JWs, that called them "God".
If you SEE that, then the answer is plain to see.
If the snare of CHURCHianity is still clamped to you ankle, you CAN'T.
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 5:23:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2018 4:08:10 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
Is there anyone here who uses Genesis 1:26-27 to support the Trinity? If so, how would you deal with the JW interpretation? I've read rebuttals to the majestic plural interpretation and the angelic interpretation, but I can't find anything on the JW interpretation.

It's not a MATTER of "interpretation"; the "Us" isn't specified in Genesis- altho the scriptures later say God made all things THROUGH His son, and that the angels were there.

The plurality of "Elohim" is a matter of Hebrew grammar- which makes it plain it was referring to a plurality of MAJESTY and POWER rather than God.....
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 6:40:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2018 5:20:29 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/11/2018 12:08:47 AM, Kilk1 wrote:

Okay, I take it your argument is that these people can be called God because they represent Him. To make sure I understand the correlation, are you saying that Jesus is called God due to representing Him, or do you believe the Son is a lesser god--having some god-like attributes but lacking others?

Neither Jesus, Moses, nor the Judges of Israel were "lesser Gods".
It is GOD, not we JWs, that called them "God".
If you SEE that, then the answer is plain to see.
If the snare of CHURCHianity is still clamped to you ankle, you CAN'T.


Are they called God in a representative sense then--representing God?
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2018 7:30:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2018 6:40:56 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/11/2018 5:20:29 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/11/2018 12:08:47 AM, Kilk1 wrote:

Okay, I take it your argument is that these people can be called God because they represent Him. To make sure I understand the correlation, are you saying that Jesus is called God due to representing Him, or do you believe the Son is a lesser god--having some god-like attributes but lacking others?

Neither Jesus, Moses, nor the Judges of Israel were "lesser Gods".
It is GOD, not we JWs, that called them "God".
If you SEE that, then the answer is plain to see.
If the snare of CHURCHianity is still clamped to you ankle, you CAN'T.


Are they called God in a representative sense then--representing God?

BINGO!
Or God was lying, or there are SEVERAL Gods!
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2018 7:07:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2018 7:30:34 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/11/2018 6:40:56 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/11/2018 5:20:29 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/11/2018 12:08:47 AM, Kilk1 wrote:

Okay, I take it your argument is that these people can be called God because they represent Him. To make sure I understand the correlation, are you saying that Jesus is called God due to representing Him, or do you believe the Son is a lesser god--having some god-like attributes but lacking others?

Neither Jesus, Moses, nor the Judges of Israel were "lesser Gods".
It is GOD, not we JWs, that called them "God".
If you SEE that, then the answer is plain to see.
If the snare of CHURCHianity is still clamped to you ankle, you CAN'T.


Are they called God in a representative sense then--representing God?

BINGO!
Or God was lying, or there are SEVERAL Gods!

I see what you're saying. It is hard to see how the Father can be God, the Son can be God, and the Holy Spirit can be God without there being three Gods. At the same time, however, it's difficult to reconcile what the Bible teaches about Jesus with the view that He was only representing God.

According to Matthew 4:10, only Jehovah God is to be worshipped (Greek, proskuneo). When Cornelius "fell down at [Peter's] feet and worshiped [Greek, proskuneo] him," he said it was wrong because he is just a man (Acts 10:25-26, NKJV). When John "fell down to worship [Greek, proskuneo] before the feet of the angel," he told John not to do such but rather to worship God (Rev. 22:8-9). While proskuneo doesn't have to mean "worship," the context of people "falling down" to proskuneo makes clear that such is the "worship" sense of proskuneo, explaining why they said to proskuneo God alone. However, people "fell down and worshiped [Greek, proskuneo]" Jesus as well (Matt. 2:11).

Do you believe that Jesus was worshiped?
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2018 7:50:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The main reason I came to this forum was to hear what trinitarians who use Genesis 1:26-27 as support have to say about the JW rebuttal. So far, nothing is being posted. Is anyone willing to make a post?
Kilk1
Posts: 304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2018 7:51:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The main reason I started this thread was to see what trinitarians who use Genesis 1:26-27 as support have to say about the JW rebuttal. So far, nothing is being posted. Is anyone willing to make a post?
theMadJW
Posts: 607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2018 12:25:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/12/2018 7:07:10 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/11/2018 7:30:34 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/11/2018 6:40:56 PM, Kilk1 wrote:
At 2/11/2018 5:20:29 PM, theMadJW wrote:
At 2/11/2018 12:08:47 AM, Kilk1 wrote:

Okay, I take it your argument is that these people can be called God because they represent Him. To make sure I understand the correlation, are you saying that Jesus is called God due to representing Him, or do you believe the Son is a lesser god--having some god-like attributes but lacking others?

Neither Jesus, Moses, nor the Judges of Israel were "lesser Gods".
It is GOD, not we JWs, that called them "God".
If you SEE that, then the answer is plain to see.
If the snare of CHURCHianity is still clamped to you ankle, you CAN'T.


Are they called God in a representative sense then--representing God?

BINGO!
Or God was lying, or there are SEVERAL Gods!

I see what you're saying. It is hard to see how the Father can be God, the Son can be God, and the Holy Spirit can be God without there being three Gods. At the same time, however, it's difficult to reconcile what the Bible teaches about Jesus with the view that He was only representing God.

According to Matthew 4:10, only Jehovah God is to be worshipped (Greek, proskuneo). When Cornelius "fell down at [Peter's] feet and worshiped [Greek, proskuneo] him," he said it was wrong because he is just a man (Acts 10:25-26, NKJV). When John "fell down to worship [Greek, proskuneo] before the feet of the angel," he told John not to do such but rather to worship God (Rev. 22:8-9). While proskuneo doesn't have to mean "worship," the context of people "falling down" to proskuneo makes clear that such is the "worship" sense of proskuneo, explaining why they said to proskuneo God alone. However, people "fell down and worshiped [Greek, proskuneo]" Jesus as well (Matt. 2:11).

Do you believe that Jesus was worshiped?

Yes- and I worship him- as my Lord and King- but not as GOD.
Worship only means showing someone the highest honor- as those who worshiped the Beatles.
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.