Total Posts:108|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I invite a believer in God to make points...

Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 12:06:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
...I invite a believer in God to make points for their position, why they believe. No long rants, these will be ignored, keep it concise so we may have a discussion.

I advise against Bible quotes I don't think they help your arguments, as i'm interested in hearing logical arguments.

I will be upfront if I think you're talking nonsense and I will give a counter argument if I believe it's necessary.
Satan's premium, proud to serve
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 12:28:03 PM
At 4/23/2018 12:06:01 PM, Masterful wrote:
...I invite a believer in God to make points for their position, why they believe. No long rants, these will be ignored, keep it concise so we may have a discussion.

I advise against Bible quotes I don't think they help your arguments, as i'm interested in hearing logical arguments.

I will be upfront if I think you're talking nonsense and I will give a counter argument if I believe it's necessary.

1. None of your f@cking business.
2. I have the right to my religion and faith
3. Your support or approval about my life for me to have it, is non existent.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 12:34:24 PM

So, who the f**k do you think you are?

Dictating the rules and terms of what you want you may as well be God.

But then, that could not be right....being no more than a very ordinary, hot-headed control-freak di**head.
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 12:40:52 PM
At 4/23/2018 12:28:03 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

How hostile and defensive.

1. Okay then don't post.
2. Sure who said you didn't?
3. Who mentioned anything about giving support or approval? This is meant to be a discussion.

Now I've answered your issues answer mine.

1. Why are you so defensive and hostile? Are we not on a debate website where we should be learning and exchanging ideas?
rosends
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 12:44:08 PM

I believe because I don't know how not to. My entire way of thinking and approaching the world is built around that belief. It supports it and is supported by it. It is part of who I am. I could not choose not to believe any more than I could choose not to write with my hand and try to write with my foot. Maybe after 45 years of hard work it might make sense, but the learning curve would be really steep.

Faith cannot be taught, explained or proven. It can't even really be defended. it just is.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:01:57 PM

So you want points about the God of the bible without using the BIble, thank goodness for one minute I thought this would be a loaded debate.....lol
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:04:19 PM
At 4/23/2018 12:40:52 PM, Masterful wrote:

1. Okay then don't post.
3. Who mentioned anything about giving support or approval? This is meant to be a discussion.

1. Why are you so defensive and hostile? Are we not on a debate website where we should be learning and exchanging ideas?

Cause atheists are bigoted douche bags.
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:12:23 PM
At 4/23/2018 12:34:24 PM, Willows wrote:

So, who the f**k do you think you are?

Dictating the rules and terms of what you want you may as well be God.

But then, that could not be right....being no more than a very ordinary, hot-headed control-freak di**head.

My attempt was to get a Christian to actually have a rational conversation that's what the rules ensure, but rationality isn't something you're capable of hence why you're upset for no real reason.
I'd therefore like to ask you to no post here, as you're using this post for something other than what it's intended. I will answer your concerns though.

1. So, who the f**k do you think you are?
I think I'm someone trying to have a rational conversation.

2.Dictating the rules and terms of what you want you may as well be God.
What rules does God dictate? I'm under the impression we have free will, no?

3. But then, that could not be right....being no more than a very ordinary, hot-headed control-freak di**head.
You're showing signs of being ahot-headed so you're being a bit hypocritical there.
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:14:59 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:01:57 PM, graceofgod wrote:

So you want points about the God of the bible without using the BIble, thank goodness for one minute I thought this would be a loaded debate.....lol

This is the issue. I said God not God of the Bible.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:15:25 PM

Experience along with cross referencing with sources and evidence. The evidences that are congruent with the nature of spirituality are overwhelming IMHO. Keep in mind, this will be between you and I, not trolls and I. I expect you to deal with the contents of what I bring to the table. No assumptions, please ask first look forward to your responses.
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:16:25 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:04:19 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

1. Okay then don't post.

It's a good thing I'm agnostic then. Also, you shouldn't stereo-type, that's a sign of idiocy.
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:17:50 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:15:25 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Experience along with cross referencing with sources and evidence. The evidences that are congruent with the nature of spirituality are overwhelming IMHO. Keep in mind, this will be between you and I, not trolls and I. I expect you to deal with the contents of what I bring to the table. No assumptions, please ask first look forward to your responses.

Okay, what is this evidence?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:18:35 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:14:59 PM, Masterful wrote:

so do you mean like Thor, Odin, Zeus...
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:19:55 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:16:25 PM, Masterful wrote:
At 4/23/2018 1:04:19 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

1. Okay then don't post.

It's a good thing I'm agnostic then. Also, you shouldn't stereo-type, that's a sign of idiocy.

Atheist light is still atheist.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:20:23 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:17:50 PM, Masterful wrote:

Check out my topic and we can start there, the list is in the OP.
http://www.debate.org...
Wizofoz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:21:33 PM

So why reply at all?
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:21:55 PM
We have 1000s of religions most believe in a singular creator, be it Islam, Christianity or Judaism. It would be wrong for you to not acknowledge the other religions around you.

I want a coherent discussion on a singular God with reasoning and logic being the main tool for allowing us to have that coherent discussion.

Let's talk about a God, not your religion.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:23:47 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:18:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:

He will say no. No one asks about them for one. Two, no one would call them god without also using their name. Since they are claiming agnostic god is some kind of concept or "energy" with no real substance.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:24:26 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:21:33 PM, Wizofoz wrote:

So why reply at all?

So you people remember your thoughts on my religion mean nothing.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:26:02 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:21:55 PM, Masterful wrote:
We have 1000s of religions most believe in a singular creator, be it Islam, Christianity or Judaism. It would be wrong for you to not acknowledge the other religions around you.

Who are you addressing, I'm an Omnist...made that clear in the OP I presented.

I want a coherent discussion on a singular God with reasoning and logic being the main tool for allowing us to have that coherent discussion.

I'm your huckleberry.

Please lets do.
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:27:41 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:18:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Wizofoz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:31:30 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:24:26 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:
At 4/23/2018 1:21:33 PM, Wizofoz wrote:

So why reply at all?

So you people remember your thoughts on my religion mean nothing.

Well, as long as you realize YOUR thoughts on your religion means nothing either.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:37:48 PM

Why don't we do this......why don't we start with you and any questions you have about ANYTHING spiritual or Theistic, whatever is bothering you I can give you insights.
KerimF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 1:54:59 PM

From what you wrote, I bet you are referring just to the images of God as seen by the various people you met or heard of so far in your life.

If, in your mind, God is simply an entity (likely a supernatural being) having a certain Law to impose on humans, it has nothing to do with the image of God I know.

So before I go on, could you even think of an image of a non-ruling Creator?

Meanwhile, I also agree with you, though I am not an atheist, that, mainly on our days, a ruling god is obviously a man-made one. After all, such a god is like the modern man-made notion of "We _The People_" from which a few persons get the authority to impose their decisions on their subjects (in millions).
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 2:18:26 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:54:59 PM, KerimF wrote:

From what you wrote, I bet you are referring just to the images of God as seen by the various people you met or heard of so far in your life.

If, in your mind, God is simply an entity (likely a supernatural being) having a certain Law to impose on humans, it has nothing to do with the image of God I know.

Meanwhile, I also agree with you, though I am not an atheist, that, mainly on our days, a ruling god is obviously a man-made one. After all, such a god is like the modern man-made notion of "We _The People_" from which a few persons get the authority to impose their decisions on their subjects (in millions).

I just wanted to hear arguments for a God. God doesn't have to be synonymous with religion, so it would be ideal if religion wasn't involved in this discussion.
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 2:20:48 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:37:48 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Why don't we do this......why don't we start with you and any questions you have about ANYTHING spiritual or Theistic, whatever is bothering you I can give you insights.

[1] What is your best reason for believing in God. Just one?
[2] What would it take for you to not believe in a God?
[3] Do you ever have any doubts about God being real?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 2:21:33 PM
At 4/23/2018 1:54:59 PM, KerimF wrote:

While the Creator is obviously a ruler, as in the highest possible reality it's the laws of creation that we are governed by, not God specifically. In other words the worlds were framed upon laws and principles both in nature and as moral laws, known as Karma, sowing and reaping and cause and effect. Both natural laws and moral laws work for the same purpose, without those nothing could be maintained. So when we are talking about a "God whom rules", let it be known we are talking about laws of creation. These laws cannot be escaped.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 2:25:04 PM
At 4/23/2018 2:20:48 PM, Masterful wrote:

I gave you two in my first response. Those were experience and cross referencing with my own encounters. The sources are mentioned in the OP I supplied for ya.

You would have to erase my life lol, because there really is no single reason it's a lifetime of applying and observing.

No, but I have doubts about other things, like beliefs and concepts in some religious understandings. There is never a time when we are perfected in this realm, it's a cultivation and because spirituality is a cultivation you would have to undue and rewind the results to disbelieve.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 2:49:13 PM

Can I ask you a personal question? is your back and kidneys in good shape? or are you having pains?
Masterful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2018 2:56:40 PM
At 4/23/2018 2:25:04 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

I gave you two in my first response. Those were experience and cross referencing with my own encounters. The sources are mentioned in the OP I supplied for ya.

You would have to erase my life lol, because there really is no single reason it's a lifetime of applying and observing.

No, but I have doubts about other things, like beliefs and concepts in some religious understandings. There is never a time when we are perfected in this realm, it's a cultivation and because spirituality is a cultivation you would have to undue and rewind the results to disbelieve.

Please allow me to reiterate so we can be specific.

[1] You've had experiences and you've read sources.

Can you make an argument from the sources you used? As I said I don't want long rants so reading long sources isn't helpful.

What experiences? Be specific in both responses please.

[2] Hypothetically if God did not exist, what would it take to prove that?
So proof of other intelligent life, undeniable proof of the big bang, perhaps proof that aliens made us? As examples.

[3] Okay.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.