Jump to topic:

To the religious citizens on debate.org

TKDB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 6:40:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
How do you feel about the way that God, Jesus, and the Bible are being alluded to by some of the anti religious citizens with their view points?

Do you view them as being fair or unfair?

How do you feel about how some seem to be using science as a way to maybe weight and measure religion through some of their view points when it comes to God, Jesus, and the Bible?
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 6:43:05 PM
At 6/9/2018 6:40:34 PM, TKDB wrote:
How do you feel about the way that God, Jesus, and the Bible are being alluded to by some of the anti religious citizens with their view points?

How do you feel about how some seem to be using science as a way to maybe weight and measure religion through some of their view points when it comes to God, Jesus, and the Bible?

By alluding to god Jesus and the bible do you feel this gentleman is being exclusionary to your religious beliefs?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 6:48:12 PM

I think posts like Jesus is a "pervert" or a "liar and a lunatic" are completely disrespectful and distasteful. And I am not a Christian.

Yes.

This doesn't bother me.
TKDB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 7:14:12 PM
At 6/9/2018 7:04:44 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

"Sadly. Privileged. Exhausting. Amusing. Hopeful"

MasonicSlayer: Are you religious or anti religious?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 7:16:05 PM

Not surprised really, but TBH there seems to be a focus squarely on the negative. There are many beautiful things about Jesus and the inspiration of the Bible in a spiritual manner, to focus squarely on the negative is unbalanced and unreasonable and prevents the opposing forces of seeing the light and the positive.

Of course, but in reality it's only impacting the individual.

Why not? both religion and science are completely compatible I wish people would stop pretending they are not....science is the study of creation, or the natural worlds, likewise religion and spirituality are the study of the God-worlds. Science is just a method of study just like religion, science makes no claims about ideologies and makes no reference to the Creator and religious people need not reject scientific study.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 7:31:30 PM
At 6/9/2018 7:14:12 PM, TKDB wrote:

If I were to define my beliefs, it would then confine it. It would become now less than what it could be. It would become not as good as it should be.
FungusOfHam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 8:55:40 PM
How do you feel about the way that God, Jesus, and the Bible are being alluded to by some of the anti religious citizens with their view points?::

Pretty much bigotry. The same exact minds trashing Christianity have a hands off approach to Islam.

Do you view them as being fair or unfair?::

I view them as uneducated on basic Biblical concepts. The users on this site make claims, I say citation needed or verse needed, and they run away or give an incoherant response.

How do you feel about how some seem to be using science as a way to maybe weight and measure religion through some of their view points when it comes to God, Jesus, and the Bible?::

Science isn't on atheism's side. Besides, using science to define the creator of science is logically incoherant.

https://youtu.be...
FungusOfHam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 8:58:09 PM
At 6/9/2018 7:31:30 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

If I were to define my beliefs, it would then confine it. It would become now less than what it could be. It would become not as good as it should be.::

Or you could just sum it up as Marxism.
Factseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 10:29:42 PM

No doubt they're not going to be fair, they're defending their world view. What they think of us isn't important just as our opinions about them don't matter. The larger thing of note is that God is on their minds to the point they are obsessed. When they find themselves standing before God at the judgment their excuses of "You did not reveal yourself God, how could I know you?" will not fly. God could legitimately respond with "I was on your mind 24/7, you have no excuse, be gone with your wickedness!"
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 10:33:13 PM
At 6/9/2018 10:29:42 PM, Factseeker wrote:

No doubt they're not going to be fair, they're defending their world view. What they think of us isn't important just as our opinions about them don't matter. The larger thing of note is that God is on their minds to the point they are obsessed. When they find themselves standing before God at the judgment their excuses of "You did not reveal yourself God, how could I know you?" will not fly. God could legitimately respond with "I was on your mind 24/7, you have no excuse, be gone with your wickedness!"

Sorry but there are thousands of mutually exclusive and contradictory god concepts, which one are you discussing?
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
Factseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 10:55:23 PM
At 6/9/2018 10:33:13 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:

Sorry but there are thousands of mutually exclusive and contradictory god concepts, which one are you discussing?

How am I supposed to know your mind state when you think of God? It is you who envisions a concept of God when you decide to mock , or reject the beliefs of others. It is you who will experience your day of reckoning. Look to your inner self.
Wizofoz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 10:59:11 PM
At 6/9/2018 10:55:23 PM, Factseeker wrote:

How am I supposed to know your mind state when you think of God? It is you who envisions a concept of God when you decide to mock , or reject the beliefs of others. It is you who will experience your day of reckoning. Look to your inner self.

Right- so you user name is supposed to be ironic?
Factseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 11:04:43 PM
At 6/9/2018 10:59:11 PM, Wizofoz wrote:

Right- so you user name is supposed to be ironic?

Fact: My username has nothing to do with your obsessions.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 11:27:55 PM
At 6/9/2018 8:58:09 PM, FungusOfHam wrote:
At 6/9/2018 7:31:30 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

If I were to define my beliefs, it would then confine it. It would become now less than what it could be. It would become not as good as it should be.::

Or you could just sum it up as Marxism.

Or you could better say my belief is, there is always more to know. Because if you know everything, it's only because you know nothing.
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 11:33:15 PM

I don't know what god is or is like if there even is one and I'm certainly not trying to mock you, that is why I asked which god you mean instead of simply assuming that I could know your beliefs before you tell me what they are. In fact it might be nice of you to extend me the same courtesy.
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
theMadJW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2018 11:43:15 PM

They are simply mindless hypocrites with nothing better to do with their time.
'Tis comical entertainment!
Question Everything! https://themadjw.weebly.com...
Factseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 12:34:18 AM
At 6/9/2018 11:33:15 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:

I don't know what god is or is like if there even is one and I'm certainly not trying to mock you, that is why I asked which god you mean instead of simply assuming that I could know your beliefs before you tell me what they are. In fact it might be nice of you to extend me the same courtesy.

Sorry. I misread the tone of your response because the op mentioned anti religious citizens in his questions. Then your username combined with your response lead me to assume where I should have considered giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I believe the overtones that accompany all of the teachings of Christ underline the importance of searching for truth regardless of what the ramifications may be upon discovery of truths. Emulating Christ as best we can, submitting to the truths we do uncover, accepting the reality we will not know or comprehend the absolute truth in our lifetimes but still having faith that truth will trump all other ideologies whether we see it come to fruition in our lifetimes or not. Truth in it's purist is bigger than life and death. Being committed to truth is cleansing for the soul, inner self, the mind or anyway you choose to see your own consciousness. Truth is the closest concept we have to understanding God. This is my faith summed up.
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 12:57:50 AM
At 6/10/2018 12:34:18 AM, Factseeker wrote:

Sorry. I misread the tone of your response because the op mentioned anti religious citizens in his questions. Then your username combined with your response lead me to assume where I should have considered giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I believe the overtones that accompany all of the teachings of Christ underline the importance of searching for truth regardless of what the ramifications may be upon discovery of truths. Emulating Christ as best we can, submitting to the truths we do uncover, accepting the reality we will not know or comprehend the absolute truth in our lifetimes but still having faith that truth will trump all other ideologies whether we see it come to fruition in our lifetimes or not. Truth in it's purist is bigger than life and death. Being committed to truth is cleansing for the soul, inner self, the mind or anyway you choose to see your own consciousness. Truth is the closest concept we have to understanding God. This is my faith summed up.

So the god you mean is Yahweh and your genuine question is "what will you do if you die and Yahweh is real?" If I have misunderstood you are free to correct me but if that is more or less the case then let me know and I will answer this question as honestly as I can.
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
TKDB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 1:08:14 AM
https://billygraham.org...

Some excerpts from this website:

Question: I don't see how anyone can be a scientist and still believe in God. Why believe in God, when science can explain everything that happens? I'm in high school, and I hope to major in medical research when I get to college.

Answer: Your interest in science shouldn't"t keep you from believing in God"not at all. Over the years some of the most gifted people I"ve ever met were not only brilliant scientists, but also had a strong faith in God.

When I asked them about this, almost without exception they said that their scientific research actually had strengthened their faith in God. To them, the whole creation is a witness to God"s power and wisdom. Even the human body, they pointed out, is a witness to God"s love and concern. To believe that everything happened by chance, they said, takes far more faith than believing in God! The Bible says, "For since the creation of the world God"s invisible qualities"his eternal power and divine nature"have been clearly seen" (Romans 1:20).

The next two paragraphs from this website, please go to the website, and see for yourself what you think?
Factseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 1:25:12 AM
At 6/10/2018 12:57:50 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:

So the god you mean is Yahweh and your genuine question is "what will you do if you die and Yahweh is real?" If I have misunderstood you are free to correct me but if that is more or less the case then let me know and I will answer this question as honestly as I can.

Yes to Yahweh. I did not ask any questions though. I was imagining based on what atheists have told me in the past what it might be like to suddenly find themselves in that position. But don't let that stop you from expressing yourself.
Wizofoz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 1:27:21 AM
At 6/10/2018 1:25:12 AM, Factseeker wrote:

Yes to Yahweh. I did not ask any questions though. I was imagining based on what atheists have told me in the past what it might be like to suddenly find themselves in that position. But don't let that stop you from expressing yourself.

What will you do if you die and find t=yourself facing Lord Vishnu?
Factseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 1:34:43 AM
At 6/10/2018 1:27:21 AM, Wizofoz wrote:

What will you do if you die and find t=yourself facing Lord Vishnu?

I dunno. Oops, awkward maybe!? LOL But seeing as my faith is in the acceptance of truth, ultimately I'd be accepting the reality before me.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 1:36:03 AM
At 6/9/2018 6:48:12 PM, janesix wrote:

I think posts like Jesus is a "pervert" or a "liar and a lunatic" are completely disrespectful and distasteful. And I am not a Christian.

Indeed they are disrespectful and distasteful. But who started it in the first place.....theists choosing a charismatic con-artist to spearhead their nutty beliefs.

The sort of crap these people preach and carry on about make us (conscientious, intelligent, caring atheists) look like angels.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 1:44:10 AM

To place things on a balanced perspective.....
Science is being "used" as a means of properly and intelligently exposing the flaws of religious belief.
Science is the best tool we have to accurately determine facts and truth, for example, in courts of law.

The so-called "viewpoints" you mention are arrived at through carefully factual, informed, intelligent research.

Are you able to say the same about how theists arrive at their viewpoints?
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 2:18:40 AM

If it is the Yahweh described in the bible my questions to him might seem disrespectful from your perspective. Indeed I probably would ask why I am being condemned for not believing in a being for which I had no evidence for except for a book that contradicts our cosmological and biological and geological observations at every turn.

Would I be out of line if I asked what your reaction would be if you found that you were brought before the muslim god Allah and told that you were to be damned to eternal torment for your erroneous belief in Jesus? Before you answer understand that I know you do not believe this is a possibility, but I am asking you to try to imagine what you would do anyway. Would you object on the grounds that he had not revealed himself to you but had instead allowed you to believe in the wrong faith your whole life?
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
FungusOfHam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 2:40:41 AM

Sorry but there are thousands of mutually exclusive and contradictory god concepts, which one are you discussing?::

List them for us, so we'll know what you mean.
FungusOfHam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 2:43:36 AM
At 6/10/2018 2:18:40 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:

If it is the Yahweh described in the bible my questions to him might seem disrespectful from your perspective. Indeed I probably would ask why I am being condemned for not believing in a being for which I had no evidence for except for a book that contradicts our cosmological and biological and geological observations at every turn.

Would I be out of line if I asked what your reaction would be if you found that you were brought before the muslim god Allah and told that you were to be damned to eternal torment for your erroneous belief in Jesus? Before you answer understand that I know you do not believe this is a possibility, but I am asking you to try to imagine what you would do anyway. Would you object on the grounds that he had not revealed himself to you but had instead allowed you to believe in the wrong faith your whole life?::

False dichotomy. Islam can be dismissed by simple deductive logic. It's why Muslims exposed to outside thought and arguments usually convert to Christianity or Atheism. I can elaborate on request.
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 2:51:15 AM
At 6/10/2018 2:43:36 AM, FungusOfHam wrote:
At 6/10/2018 2:18:40 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:

Would I be out of line if I asked what your reaction would be if you found that you were brought before the muslim god Allah and told that you were to be damned to eternal torment for your erroneous belief in Jesus? Before you answer understand that I know you do not believe this is a possibility, but I am asking you to try to imagine what you would do anyway. Would you object on the grounds that he had not revealed himself to you but had instead allowed you to believe in the wrong faith your whole life?::

False dichotomy. Islam can be dismissed by simple deductive logic. It's why Muslims exposed to outside thought and arguments usually convert to Christianity or Atheism. I can elaborate on request.

Christianity can be dismissed on the same grounds. Many christians become atheists. In any case it can hardly be described as a false dichotomy that I am asking you to consider more than just two ideas (Yahweh or nothing vs Yahweh or any of thousands of other gods or nothing). Indeed if Allah is an unacceptable example then insert any god concept you like so long as it isn't yours.
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol