Jump to topic:

Christian Generosity?

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2018 10:14:42 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Recently we went for a fantastic meal in the revolving restaurant with a Christian acquaintance and his wife. He said that he will pay the bill and explained that it was a "directive" of his Church to show open unconditional generosity and charity by doing so.

After a few rounds of Dom Perignon and an entre of pan-seared foie gras, I reluctantly opted for the lobster, liberally washed down by some fine Pinot Noir.

It was a great evening and my God-fearing mate had well and truly achieved his goal of being generous and charitable, not to mention that his altitude points would have sky-rocketed.

So, did this guy genuinely feel good about his act of generosity?
Or....
Was he purely motivated by currying favor with his Church and, ultimately God in return for an afterlife in heaven?
Or....
Was he just simply deluded?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2018 11:32:07 AM
At 6/15/2018 10:14:42 AM, Willows wrote:

Can't tell - how did he seem to you?

Or....
Was he purely motivated by currying favor with his Church and, ultimately God in return for an afterlife in heaven?

Could be. He may have been reluctant to do it but felt the payback made the expense just about tolerable.

Or....

Definitely. Buying you a posh meal wouldn't get anyone into heaven even if it existed.

btw, are you sure it's ok to drink pinot noir with lobster? I thought white wine was more usual...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2018 12:47:17 PM
At 6/15/2018 11:32:07 AM, keithprosser wrote:

Can't tell - how did he seem to you?
Hard to pick, although I did notice his wife's body language as we were sipping and eating our way through the menu
Or....

Could be. He may have been reluctant to do it but felt the payback made the expense just about tolerable.

Or....

Definitely. Buying you a posh meal wouldn't get anyone into heaven even if it existed.

btw, are you sure it's ok to drink pinot noir with lobster? I thought white wine was more usual...

That's what some say but they were going for the fillet mignon and I prefer red anyway.
FungusOfHam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2018 4:25:40 PM
Recently we went for a fantastic meal in the revolving restaurant with a Christian acquaintance and his wife. He said that he will pay the bill and explained that it was a "directive" of his Church to show open unconditional generosity and charity by doing so.

After a few rounds of Dom Perignon and an entre of pan-seared foie gras, I reluctantly opted for the lobster, liberally washed down by some fine Pinot Noir.

It was a great evening and my God-fearing mate had well and truly achieved his goal of being generous and charitable, not to mention that his altitude points would have sky-rocketed.

Or....
Or....
Was he just simply deluded?::

Works don't get you into Heaven in the Bible, but simply are proof of your faith, and his church won't know what he did, so probably from the goodness of his heart.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
http://biblehub.com...

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time"2 Timothy 1:9
WisdomOfAges
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2018 4:40:55 PM
EPICURUS ? Greek Philosopher.. 342-271 BC....look him up....and ask yourself ? would this work for humanity....

Would this simple and very easy to experience Philosophy WORK for YOU...screw the Middle East
JESUS and ALLAH God garbage of slavery and oppression.....

No Church..no Mosque..no insane Dogma...no Bible/Quran comic book...no clown gown pedophile psychopaths...no assimilation...no violence...no need to prove YOU are right using some god excuse....+++ totally LIFE and BRAIN draining idiocy....

Take the basis of EPICURUS and spin a little update with innovative thinking for healthy living with some of the new technologies..but never DROWN in them...

The Roman Catholic CONCENTRATION CAMP must be relegated to OBSOLETE MYTHOLOGY...S A P...along with the other psychotic Jesus Church spins and Allah Mosque spins
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 12:17:02 AM
At 6/15/2018 4:25:40 PM, FungusOfHam wrote:

Or....
Or....

Works don't get you into Heaven in the Bible, but simply are proof of your faith, and his church won't know what he did, so probably from the goodness of his heart.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time"2 Timothy 1:9

Point taken although, as I understand it and from my experience with a different Church he has meetings with the pastor who gives out "task lists" for each parishioner to tick off and report back.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 12:33:48 AM

Or....
Or....

I don't think this was "charitable". Charitable would be giving to those less fortunate, who neeed it. I doubt someone who is used to lobster really needs charity. The guy was just being a show off. Let him pay every time.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 12:39:54 AM
At 6/16/2018 12:33:48 AM, janesix wrote:

Or....
Or....

I don't think this was "charitable". Charitable would be giving to those less fortunate, who neeed it. I doubt someone who is used to lobster really needs charity. The guy was just being a show off. Let him pay every time.

Yeah, I think he was in a way, and using his Church explanation as a reason.
FungusOfHam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 3:11:21 AM
At 6/16/2018 12:17:02 AM, Willows wrote:

Or....
Or....

Point taken although, as I understand it and from my experience with a different Church he has meetings with the pastor who gives out "task lists" for each parishioner to tick off and report back.::

It's definately possible that he believes he "must" do these things and only does them due to that "guilt" or "feeling demanded" to do these things. Hopefully it is simply because he feels compelled to.
Phase
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 3:58:13 AM
At 6/16/2018 12:39:54 AM, Willows wrote:

Or....
Or....

Would people be more willing to be more generous if their motives were not being questioned or doubted?
Christian Generosity should not be the question.
Thankfulness and Gratefulness, both in front of and away from the person, should be the question.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 4:32:31 AM
At 6/16/2018 3:11:21 AM, FungusOfHam wrote:
At 6/16/2018 12:17:02 AM, Willows wrote:

Or....
Or....

Point taken although, as I understand it and from my experience with a different Church he has meetings with the pastor who gives out "task lists" for each parishioner to tick off and report back.::

It's definately possible that he believes he "must" do these things and only does them due to that "guilt" or "feeling demanded" to do these things. Hopefully it is simply because he feels compelled to.

Perhaps I'll phone him and ask if he needs to tick off any more tasks of generosity.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 4:46:49 AM
At 6/16/2018 3:58:13 AM, Phase wrote:
At 6/16/2018 12:39:54 AM, Willows wrote:

Or....
Or....

Would people be more willing to be more generous if their motives were not being questioned or doubted?
Christian Generosity should not be the question.
Thankfulness and Gratefulness, both in front of and away from the person, should be the question.

Exactly. I think that by the end of the evening we were catching Ubers and none of us could give a stuff about the implications and ramifications anyway.
He probably needed a stiff drink after seeing his next Amex bill, mind you.
WisdomOfAges
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 4:56:55 PM
VIOLENCE is the RULE with the Jesus and Allah CULTS...

The Church concentration camps totally hypnotize and condition their sheeple slaves to go out and assimilate others with FEAR-INTIMIDATION-VIOLENCE...an irrefutable FACT throughout human existence over thousands of years...

Health and wellness with an open mind to consider the possibilities of anything IS IMPOSSIBLE for the mentally molested Jesus and Allah God slave drone..they are mentally trained to OBEY and ATTACK all who oppose the CHURCH/MOSQUE DOGMA....

JESUS and ALLAH are nothing more than clever tools...scapegoats for mental terrorism...OBEY or be PUNISHED is the rule...SUFFERING is normal and encouraged...women are treated like toilet paper and seen as breeding slaves...just read the Old Testament ! the book that started all this insanity...then spun further into a tool for total mind and life CONTROL= PARASITES

SOLUTION= relegate the Middle East slave GOD CULTS into Mythology...with Zeus and ODIN
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 8:41:39 PM

Or....
Or....

So you know theists you pretend to be friends with for free meals? Sad and reported
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 8:55:33 PM
At 6/16/2018 8:41:39 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Or....
Or....

So you know theists you pretend to be friends with for free meals? Sad and reported

I'm sure that Willow is not so shallow as to pretend friendship for free meals. He does it for the free drinks - the meals are a bonus.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2018 9:04:31 PM
At 6/16/2018 8:55:33 PM, keithprosser wrote:

Or....
Or....

I'm sure that Willow is not so shallow as to pretend friendship for free meals. He does it for the free drinks - the meals are a bonus.

I am sure your cheap petty tard butt does the same. User, lying, fake pricks all of you
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 1:01:46 AM

Or....
Or....

If you noticed the chronology of events, it was he who sprung it on me to pay.

It doesn't bother me lashing out with whoever for a good time.....when you come to Adelaide or next time I'm in your part of the world I will shout you out on the town...no problem.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 1:12:48 AM
At 6/16/2018 8:55:33 PM, keithprosser wrote:

Or....
Or....

As it happened I restrained myself from my usual habit of ordering multiple rounds of Tequila shots throughout the evening which I can usually handle but not being such a big wine drinker, the tannin got to me the next day...and it was a Yarra Valley drop as I recall, not (much better) local plonk.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:33:47 PM
At 6/17/2018 1:01:46 AM, Willows wrote:

Or....
Or....

It doesn't bother me lashing out with whoever for a good time.....when you come to Adelaide or next time I'm in your part of the world I will shout you out on the town...no problem.

Nothing changes in what I said. You are pretend friends with theists for the freebies. Hypocrite bigot.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 12:25:39 AM
At 6/17/2018 2:33:47 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Or....
Or....

Nothing changes in what I said. You are pretend friends with theists for the freebies. Hypocrite bigot.

Silly me.
I should have realised that in Australia the term "shout" means that I pay, which you would not be aware of in the backwaters where you live.

But then, if one were to be cynical, one would say that I am trying to buy friends.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 11:32:41 AM
At 6/18/2018 12:25:39 AM, Willows wrote:
At 6/17/2018 2:33:47 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Or....
Or....

Silly me.
I should have realised that in Australia the term "shout" means that I pay, which you would not be aware of in the backwaters where you live.

But then, if one were to be cynical, one would say that I am trying to buy friends.

I can't imagine you having friends but people who tolerate you until they can't stand it. Being a punk will do that.
WisdomOfAges
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 5:18:47 PM
CHRISTIAN and MUSLIM ATROCITIES...easy GOOGLE it MORONS..thousand of articles and proven DEATH and DESTRUCTION by CHURCH and MOSQUE psychopaths.....

Time to put Jesus and Allah to MYTHOLOGY with Zeus and Odin...truly disgusting what these Christian and muslim hypnotized sheeple drone do to themselves, others, cultures, nations, and the planets environment....flush them all down the TOILET...

If these Jesus and Allah psychopaths had their way YOU would be in a tent right now.....
Terran_01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 5:39:55 PM
The Christian doctrine clearly teaches generosity with a strong and fundamental emphasis. Most who call themselves Christians however do not even follow the Christian doctrine. I'm not even a Christian and I follow the Christian doctrine. I do not promise eternal life, but I teach the ways one must live to get the greatest reward in heaven as promised by Jesus. A part of those ways is to live as an atheist by principle, doing good with no hope or expectation of a reward. If you are doing good for a reward, whether it be heavenly or earthly, then the only reward you will get is earthly.

Islam on the other hand is the extreme opposite. Islam teaches extreme immorality, and calls it morality. It is an inversion of everything good. While Muslims are also taught to be generous and give to charity, the Muslim definition of charity and who to be generous to is misleading. Muslim charity does not include generosity to non-Muslims. It only involves giving a portion of your earnings to jihadists for the purpose of violent suicide bombings and mass killings to intimidate non-Muslims and forcefully take over the entire world. Muslim generosity has nothing to do with improving the human condition, but destroying it by funding terrorism. Some Muslims misunderstand the context of Muslim charity, and still give to non-Muslims mistakenly believing that's what it means.

While both Christians and Muslims can be generous, it is Christianity that teaches it and Islam that teaches against it. And when it comes to who is actually generous, 99% of the world's generosity comes from or through Christians to the point where aid workers trying to feed starving Muslims are repeatedly killed by those very Muslims simply because they are Christian. Both Christians and Muslims tend to know very little about their religion regardless. But Muslims follow their doctrine more than Christians do. They are just deceptive and underhanded about it, which is what their very doctrine teaches.
Terran_01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 5:48:07 PM
As the founder of that which is known as Anonymous, Anonymous is anonymous for the moral principle of doing good and purposely avoiding a reward, thereby ensuring that motives always remain pure while also setting an inspiring example for the world that there is some good left in the world and it's worth fighting for. Through inspiration and setting an example, courage can be contagious. The purpose behind the anonymity of Anonymous is often misunderstood by fans and outsiders. Both heroes and villains wear a mask for polar opposite reasons. You would expect that with so much focus on heroes and villains in the movies these days, that more people would get the point behind a mask, but they don't.