Jump to topic:

Teaching Our Kids

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2018 8:21:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is home-schooling an honest attempt by parents to give their children a better education than state schooling?

Or is it a devious tool used by hard-core religious nuts to brainwash innocent children with their own selfish beliefs and restricting balanced learning and freedom of information that children should be entitled to?

In which case, Are these parents guilty of child neglect and abuse?
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2018 5:18:43 AM
Only religious people want home schooling?

Nothing unexpected about parents wanting their children to share the values that they consider to be true or important.

If you lived in a really religious society where the schools were rather religious in their teaching, Even in public schools, I would think that you would prefer to homeschool them. Bit of an assumption, But ah well.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2018 6:56:27 AM
Leaning wrote:
Only religious people want home schooling?

Nothing unexpected about parents wanting their children to share the values that they consider to be true or important.

If you lived in a really religious society where the schools were rather religious in their teaching, Even in public schools, I would think that you would prefer to homeschool them. Bit of an assumption, But ah well.

In the USA, Figures range from 66-75% of homeschooled kids being religious or homeschooled because of "religious values". In recent years, However, There has been a rise in homeschooling yet I don't have accurate data that shows the current percentage of religious versus secular.

What concerns me is that those who are "religiously educated" at home are going to develop restricted knowledge. For example, Science subjects which are now becoming more important for future career prospects.

Whilst there may be some good religious values there is no evidence that they are any better or wholesome than values and morals held by the rest of society.

It is the inground unsavory values particular to organised religion that are not promoted in public schools that are of concern to me.

For example, Teaching kids that homosexuality is not ok. . . . . . . In modern civilized society, No public school would ever get away with teaching such anti-social ideas.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2018 7:19:35 AM
The parents can teach them that even if they are at public school. Or not teach them that.

And it's not as though 'only religious people might dislike gays. Can be a cultural thing. I so often see ancient Greeks in movies taunting other Greeks for being boy lovers. Or is it Romans? Eh, Ancient people in that area.

Not saying that I think hating gays should be taught. Incidentally, There are gays who are Christians, Or are married in Christian weddings are there not?
I'm going by assumption and vague memory.
And even if one were to claim they are not actually Christian, I assume they consider themselves Christian. And there's already so many branches of faith that aren't kosher with one another.
or even politics, As if the Republicans or Democrats all really believe what their parties say. Bah, Political convenience.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2018 7:10:19 AM
Leaning wrote:
The parents can teach them that even if they are at public school. Or not teach them that.

And it's not as though 'only religious people might dislike gays. Can be a cultural thing. I so often see ancient Greeks in movies taunting other Greeks for being boy lovers. Or is it Romans? Eh, Ancient people in that area.

Not saying that I think hating gays should be taught. Incidentally, There are gays who are Christians, Or are married in Christian weddings are there not?
I'm going by assumption and vague memory.
And even if one were to claim they are not actually Christian, I assume they consider themselves Christian. And there's already so many branches of faith that aren't kosher with one another.
or even politics, As if the Republicans or Democrats all really believe what their parties say. Bah, Political convenience.

Come on. . . . You are mitigating the argument by using the "they are not the only ones" excuse.

Allow me to make it perfectly clear that all Christian Churches comprise a collective organization which promotes homophobia to its followers and preaches such as an ideology.

Furthermore, Any member of a church is "guilty by association" of being homophobic whether or not he or she says otherwise.

If there is any gay who is a Christian, Name him or her.
Similarly, If there is any gay couple who got married in a church, Name the couple.
Tradesecret
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2018 10:25:15 AM
I represent lots of home schoolers in court. Many are not from religious families. Many are Left wing families who are very alternative in their views.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2018 11:42:30 AM
#23520 in Record attempt at most posts. Has 3 links for gay Christians, I can't seem to post it here for some reason. I do admit as I look at my other post again that I do seem to be mitigating the argument with an excuse.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2018 12:06:40 PM
Tradesecret wrote:
I represent lots of home schoolers in court. Many are not from religious families. Many are Left wing families who are very alternative in their views.

If you look at post #5, I think you are doing the same thing (maybe unwittingly) in mitigating the argument.

Looking at post #3 you will find that notably, Most homeschoolers are religious.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2018 10:05:12 PM
I don't see a problem with homeschooling. If a high percentage of them happened to be Christian, I don't see a problem with that either.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2018 5:27:25 AM
http://theconversation. Com/who-should-monitor-homeschooling-50441

Terrence Treft said

there are, Of course, Two obvious rights to consider in this debate:

the rights of adult citizens to raise their children within the cultural standards they choose

and the rights of children to receive an education that will possibly provide them with skills to succeed in society at large.

Leaning asks Willows about the right of culture and parents?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2018 9:43:09 AM
Leaning wrote:
I don't see a problem with homeschooling. If a high percentage of them happened to be Christian, I don't see a problem with that either.

Yeah well, I do.

"OK kids, Today we are going to learn the truth and there is only one book that we need to learn from. This here Bible will teach you everything about life. You are so lucky because all those heathen kids learn about blasphemous, Sinful lies from science books in their schools.
And when we are done with learning from the Bible today, I will unlock your chains, Then we will all sit around the fire sipping fresh, Warm cows milk, Singing Kumbaya. "
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2018 5:46:58 PM
What's wrong with not wanting your kids to go down a path that'll lead them to Hell? If anything, Wouldn't it be incredibly uncaring of religious parents NOT to homeschool their kids?
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2018 9:27:34 PM
Swagnarok wrote:
What's wrong with not wanting your kids to go down a path that'll lead them to Hell?

Because there is no such thing as Hell. Parents and church clerics know that very well when they set out to control innocent children through fear and guilt.

It is tantamount to child abuse.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2018 9:33:39 PM
Leaning wrote:
I don't recall my mother, Who's a bit of a devout Christian saying anything like that.

Well, Aren't you lucky?

Again, You are trying to mitigate the argument. . . . . . . . You and your mother are not the only ones existing on this planet.

There are countless cases of children who have suffered psychological (as well as physical) abuse at the hands of over-controlling parents and church clerics through the preaching of doom and gloom through fear and guilt.
Tradesecret
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2018 3:15:05 AM
Everyone home schools. In fact every parent homeschools their children for the first five years of their life until they send them to school.

I am more interested in Australian figures than American ones.

but you forget the Steiner school kids and you forget that more and more people with autistic and kids with other learning difficulties are homeschooling.

homeschooling used to be called tutoring and belongs only to the domain of the wealthy. Even today, Students from private schools receive many hours of private home schooling in order to ensure that they actually do ok at school.

to ridicule home schooling in any form - is bigoted and intolerance.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2018 4:43:55 AM
Abuse, I can agree is wrong, Though I won't agree that the religious make it their mission to abuse people, Nor do I agree that all the religious make it their plan to control people. I'd think myself that I lost my faith perhaps mainly because I couldn't make sense of it later in life. Though I have doubts now and then whether that is a good enough reason, But ah well. It's a reason.

Most of my disagreement with you is likely emotional, But, I simply don't see how I can damn Christians when my Mother is one, Has gained much from it. Is one of the grandest people that I know. I am sure she has gained much more from life and experience. Life and experience is what my siblings and I were taught more than our religion I suppose.

Can a person make an argument from freedom then? That people not be prescribed strict and unbending scripture from their government, Any more than their religion. Adults are free to leave their families after all. And abuse obviously shown would get social workers called as hounds anyhow.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2018 10:57:21 AM
Tradesecret wrote:
Everyone home schools. In fact every parent homeschools their children for the first five years of their life until they send them to school.

but you forget the Steiner school kids and you forget that more and more people with autistic and kids with other learning difficulties are homeschooling.

homeschooling used to be called tutoring and belongs only to the domain of the wealthy. Even today, Students from private schools receive many hours of private home schooling in order to ensure that they actually do ok at school.

I'm not critical of homeschooling per se but how some use homeschooling.
Yet, I am highly critical of organised religion.

Put the two together and we have religious homeschooling and we can have a volatile recipe for disaster in the form of misguided education in the form of excessive and cruel child manipulation.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2018 11:04:28 AM
Leaning wrote:
Abuse, I can agree is wrong, Though I won't agree that the religious make it their mission to abuse people, Nor do I agree that all the religious make it their plan to control people. I'd think myself that I lost my faith perhaps mainly because I couldn't make sense of it later in life. Though I have doubts now and then whether that is a good enough reason, But ah well. It's a reason.

Most of my disagreement with you is likely emotional, But, I simply don't see how I can damn Christians when my Mother is one, Has gained much from it. Is one of the grandest people that I know. I am sure she has gained much more from life and experience. Life and experience is what my siblings and I were taught more than our religion I suppose.

Can a person make an argument from freedom then? That people not be prescribed strict and unbending scripture from their government, Any more than their religion. Adults are free to leave their families after all. And abuse obviously shown would get social workers called as hounds anyhow.

I don't think it is appropriate to damn Christians but to ridicule and criticize organized religion and those who preach a doctrine that is primitive, Draconian, Ill-founded and should be irrelevant in modern society.

Yes, There are many good facets of religion but they are by far outweighed by what is wrong and what damage religion has done to society.

We can all do much better without religion.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2018 9:03:11 AM
Leaning wrote:
I am thinking.
Well, That's a good thing, Which is far better than what most people do. . . I. E. Accept whatever is put in front of them without thinking of the validity and/or the implications.

There's a lot of crap going around in this world you know.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 5:39:20 AM
I've thought a tiny bit, But still thinking.

Westboro Baptist church is found to be horrible even by most religious people I would think. Does it matter so much that Christians use old book with some contradictions and histories/stories that do not age well into modern society IF they do not act on it or take it at the value anti theists claim as evil in the bible.

It does not matter if slavery, Stoning, Anti-homosexuality is pointed and screamed at by antitheists. Those are not held to be proper in modern times, Even by theists. In general I choose to assume without doing any research.

If theists went around stoning people, Burning them, And preforming some kind of American Inquisition, There would be an enormous problem.

If atheism is obviously true, Then it should be able to develop naturally over time to most of the population, Way it did through the Renaissance slowly (I think history goes)
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 4:22:44 PM
Willows wrote:
Tradesecret wrote:

I'm not critical of homeschooling per se but how some use homeschooling.
Yet, I am highly critical of organised religion.

Put the two together and we have religious homeschooling and we can have a volatile recipe for disaster in the form of misguided education in the form of excessive and cruel child manipulation.

Australian children learn about sheep and Koala shagging in school and learn the same thing at home watching their parents shagging the same animals.
Organized religion produce the Priests that are sexually abusing the Australian children in Church. So why would anyone be surprised Australians grow up to be sheep and Koala shaggers and pedophiles?

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.