Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Would Deity/s need to be perfeft?

Leaning
Posts: 2,554
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 12:12:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Not trying to push any ideology on anybody, Just curious thought to myself. Greek deities, Norse deities, Probably other deities hardly seem perfect, Honestly seem rife with imperfection.
Willows
Posts: 11,586
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 12:51:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Leaning wrote:
Not trying to push any ideology on anybody, Just curious thought to myself. Greek deities, Norse deities, Probably other deities hardly seem perfect, Honestly seem rife with imperfection.

According to Christians, God created man as an image of himself.

Given that all Gods are actually created by man I think that the converse applies. For example, Thor was (allegedly) a hammer-wielding warrior belting the bejesus out of anything that gets in his way. And that was basically the barbaric lifestyle of the primitive folk who had the misfortune of living in those dark ages.

So, Basically, Gods are portrayed as flawed and imperfect as we are. We now live in (generally) peaceful and harmonious times compared with days of yore and now of course, Christians have to jump on the bandwagon and call their God the God of love.

That's a far cry from the God of the Old Testament which portrays God as the meanest son-of-a-bitch that ever existed and makes Thor look like Peter Pan.
SingularityofLight
Posts: 1,915
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 1:19:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Willows wrote:
Leaning wrote:
Not trying to push any ideology on anybody, Just curious thought to myself. Greek deities, Norse deities, Probably other deities hardly seem perfect, Honestly seem rife with imperfection.

According to Christians, God created man as an image of himself.

Given that all Gods are actually created by man I think that the converse applies. For example, Thor was (allegedly) a hammer-wielding warrior belting the bejesus out of anything that gets in his way. And that was basically the barbaric lifestyle of the primitive folk who had the misfortune of living in those dark ages.

So, Basically, Gods are portrayed as flawed and imperfect as we are. We now live in (generally) peaceful and harmonious times compared with days of yore and now of course, Christians have to jump on the bandwagon and call their God the God of love.

That's a far cry from the God of the Old Testament which portrays God as the meanest son-of-a-bitch that ever existed and makes Thor look like Peter Pan.

It"s not only the old testament that portrays "God" as a murderous, Torture-loving, Enslaver; the New Testament has its share of fear-mongering to move you along in your "faith" in case your not quite sure.

"God is love" but the only way to be saved and escape torment by an 'all-loving' God (even if you are a person of soft conscience) is to believe that a single human, Violent, Torturous execution is all important (doesn't matter how despicable a person one is).

John 3 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. "
John 8 "I said therefore unto you, That ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, Ye shall die in your sins. "
Matt 3 Whose fan is in his hand, And he will thoroughly purge his floor, And gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. "
Mark 16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. "
Luke 3 "Whose fan is in his hand, And he will thoroughly purge his floor, And will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable. "
Luke 10 "And thou, Capernaum (that rejected Jesus), Which art exalted to heaven, Shalt be thrust down to hell. "
Matt 13 "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. "
Leaning
Posts: 2,554
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 2:38:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Eh, Good points I think. If focusing on the Christian deity being perfect, Eh. Bible says a lot of different things. So different to the point that people make what they want out of it. The people who say positive caring things out of the bible says more about them than the bible, Same with fire damnation brimstone flaying for eternity people I'd suppose.

So often on this site or debates it seems easy for people to take offense at what others say. Often misinterpreted I think, But easy to do. I imagine there are reasons for it.

Key & Peele - Text Message Confusion - Uncensored
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=naleynXS7yo

It seems common enough for Christian gods portrayal in media for him to not be portrayed as perfect. Though I suppose one could say that is due to most people not being able to hold the same values with the bible. Eh, I suppose that might be impossible with history in any case. If', Not saying it is, The bible was a history book, We'd have the same problems. People are always looking back in history and being embarrassed at their ancestors actions. Lot of other times pride as well, But eh, Different values often.

Hmm. . . If deity was a human, One wouldn't blame him for not being perfect, Though they could be rather upset at him I suppose. Like people get upset at parents to varying degrees. But if he isn't a human seems hard to hold to same standards. But then why would 'good standards hold still if bad standards don't? And if something that different from human, Why bother? But then people say made in his image and so on. . . Meh. . . Some subjects get me caught in a mumbling spiral. Perfeft? Perfect.

If Christians didn't say creator was perfect, What would your thoughts be then?
SingularityofLight
Posts: 1,915
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 3:01:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Leaning wrote:
Eh, Good points I think. If focusing on the Christian deity being perfect, Eh. Bible says a lot of different things. So different to the point that people make what they want out of it. The people who say positive caring things out of the bible says more about them than the bible, Same with fire damnation brimstone flaying for eternity people I'd suppose.

So often on this site or debates it seems easy for people to take offense at what others say. Often misinterpreted I think, But easy to do. I imagine there are reasons for it.

Key & Peele - Text Message Confusion - Uncensored
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=naleynXS7yo

It seems common enough for Christian gods portrayal in media for him to not be portrayed as perfect. Though I suppose one could say that is due to most people not being able to hold the same values with the bible. Eh, I suppose that might be impossible with history in any case. If', Not saying it is, The bible was a history book, We'd have the same problems. People are always looking back in history and being embarrassed at their ancestors actions. Lot of other times pride as well, But eh, Different values often.

Hmm. . . If deity was a human, One wouldn't blame him for not being perfect, Though they could be rather upset at him I suppose. Like people get upset at parents to varying degrees. But if he isn't a human seems hard to hold to same standards. But then why would 'good standards hold still if bad standards don't? And if something that different from human, Why bother? But then people say made in his image and so on. . . Meh. . . Some subjects get me caught in a mumbling spiral. Perfeft? Perfect.

If Christians didn't say creator was perfect, What would your thoughts be then?

It's a bad idea trying to make a human perfect. It creates all kinds of neurosis in people trying to follow a perfect person. It also creates a perfect human "master" and an imperfect human "slave" relationship. I believe that my Supreme Being is perfect because it is pure infinitely concentrated and powerful light, And only light. Trying to be god and a human being is a very bad idea.

BTW, I have problems with the "creator" title for the Supreme Being I believe in, Because I don't believe the Supreme Being created our physical bodies: I believe our physical bodies were created by lessor beings. I believe the Supreme Being only inhabits our softest, Deepest conscience which was not created and is eternal.
Leaning
Posts: 2,554
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 3:04:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So it's perfect in the sense that it is what it is to the fullest and by definition so to speak?

And for the creator part, Interesting thought. By chance have you ever read Isaac Asimov I, Robot? Specifically the Reason short story?

https://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Reason_(short_story)
Leaning
Posts: 2,554
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 3:06:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Online PDF if not want Wikipedia to ruin story reveals
https://www. Ttu. Ee/public/m/mart-murdvee/Techno-Psy/Isaac_Asimov_-_I_Robot. Pdf
Willows
Posts: 11,586
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 3:13:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
SingularityofLight wrote:
Willows wrote:
Leaning wrote:
Not trying to push any ideology on anybody, Just curious thought to myself. Greek deities, Norse deities, Probably other deities hardly seem perfect, Honestly seem rife with imperfection.

According to Christians, God created man as an image of himself.

Given that all Gods are actually created by man I think that the converse applies. For example, Thor was (allegedly) a hammer-wielding warrior belting the bejesus out of anything that gets in his way. And that was basically the barbaric lifestyle of the primitive folk who had the misfortune of living in those dark ages.

So, Basically, Gods are portrayed as flawed and imperfect as we are. We now live in (generally) peaceful and harmonious times compared with days of yore and now of course, Christians have to jump on the bandwagon and call their God the God of love.

That's a far cry from the God of the Old Testament which portrays God as the meanest son-of-a-bitch that ever existed and makes Thor look like Peter Pan.

It"s not only the old testament that portrays "God" as a murderous, Torture-loving, Enslaver; the New Testament has its share of fear-mongering to move you along in your "faith" in case your not quite sure.

"God is love" but the only way to be saved and escape torment by an 'all-loving' God (even if you are a person of soft conscience) is to believe that a single human, Violent, Torturous execution is all important (doesn't matter how despicable a person one is).

John 3 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. "
John 8 "I said therefore unto you, That ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, Ye shall die in your sins. "
Matt 3 Whose fan is in his hand, And he will thoroughly purge his floor, And gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. "
Mark 16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. "
Luke 3 "Whose fan is in his hand, And he will thoroughly purge his floor, And will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable. "
Luke 10 "And thou, Capernaum (that rejected Jesus), Which art exalted to heaven, Shalt be thrust down to hell. "
Matt 13 "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. "

Yep, And what the Christians call New (testament) is still as old as the ark. . . . Oh sorry, Not quite that old but still in the Dark Ages.
Willows
Posts: 11,586
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 3:21:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Leaning wrote:
So it's perfect in the sense that it is what it is to the fullest and by definition so to speak?

And for the creator part, Interesting thought. By chance have you ever read Isaac Asimov I, Robot? Specifically the Reason short story?

https://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Reason_(short_story)

It's a good story.
Perhaps we could call religious geeks Cuties.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.