Jump to topic:

Teaching The Truth

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 4:56:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Given that children will regrettably be exposed to biased religion in their lives wouldn't it be fair that their schooling should include lessons in countering such misinformation?

Also, Given that, Research has shown the IQ of theists is lower than that of atheists wouldn't it be in the best interests of educators to ensure that children receive a balanced education without the limitations to learning that religion imposes?
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 5:16:43 AM
No. Though what we talked about briefly in the past is still bothering in the back of my mind.

Why wouldn't low IQ people be just as easily persuaded to be atheists?

Public schools already aren't really religious schools are they?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 11:52:58 AM
Leaning wrote:
No. Though what we talked about briefly in the past is still bothering in the back of my mind.

Research has shown that religious followers develop lower IQs than atheists.
The evidence points to "blinkered" learning and rejection of educational material that may conflict with religious belief.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 11:55:52 AM
Is it unusual for people to reject that which they consider offensive?

Eh, IQ is a bit open to interpretation I'm going to claim during this current second in time.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 4:33:26 PM
Willows wrote:
Leaning wrote:

Research has shown that religious followers develop lower IQs than atheists.
The evidence points to "blinkered" learning and rejection of educational material that may conflict with religious belief.

Australians turn to sheep and koala shagging not because they are against religion, They are attracted to animals more. Religion in Australia teach priests to love children over sheep and koala shagging. And Australian priests obviously don't have a problem with their religious training. Thousands of Australian priests are pedophiles.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 10:40:38 PM
Leaning wrote:
Is it unusual for people to reject that which they consider offensive?

No, It isn't unusual.

The problem with religious fanatics is that:
They consider science subjects to be offensive.
They consider many classic works of literature to be offensive.
They consider many history subjects to be offensive.
They consider some forms of art to be offensive.
They consider some music to be offensive.

Is it any wonder why their children are bullied and grow up to be ignorant and with lower IQs?
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 11:36:36 PM
If they were a minority, Then no. If they were a minority though, They wouldn't be much cause for alarm or have much push in policy.

If they were a majority on the other hand, I'd be surprised if they were bullied, Since most other people would be like them. And I'm not sure I'd say the majority of people have low IQs. Maybe.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 11:50:09 PM
Leaning wrote:
If they were a minority, Then no. If they were a minority though, They wouldn't be much cause for alarm or have much push in policy.

If they were a majority on the other hand, I'd be surprised if they were bullied, Since most other people would be like them. And I'm not sure I'd say the majority of people have low IQs. Maybe.

We are talking here specifically about religious people and, In particular, The children of religious people who are being deprived of an adequate education.

The reports (and there are many of them published on the web) raise a real concern that there is a significant difference in IQs of those who are raised with religious and those who aren't.

Surely, The debate should focus on the ways in which religious people can address this concerning anomaly.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2018 11:52:27 PM
Hmm, Right this second I can't be helpful in discussion of this subject really. I know it's not really right, But I'm going to choose to willfully ignore any evidence that you have stating that religious people are of lower IQ. Perhaps I'll be more open to it later.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2018 12:06:50 AM
Leaning wrote:
Hmm, Right this second I can't be helpful in discussion of this subject really. I know it's not really right, But I'm going to choose to willfully ignore any evidence that you have stating that religious people are of lower IQ. Perhaps I'll be more open to it later.

Well, That's your choice and I'm not going to shove the reports down your throat but I do think that it is a concern worth considering anyhow for the benefit of society moving forward.

I'm sure that many churches, For example, Will ignore the reports or pick faults in them.

However, Haven't we all witnessed what happens with this sort of head in the sand attitude by churches before regarding sexual abuse.

The damage done is widespread and irreparable and could be a completely different situation now, Had the right steps been taken many years ago.

We are supposed to learn from history and churches can do very well to sit up and take heed of what is being reported before it has another crisis on its already soiled hands.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2018 12:11:05 AM
I imagine that it would have been better if the Churches had publicly denounced the priests and excommunicated them (Or is that just Catholics? ).

I haven't really looked into the sex scandals in depth. Did they willfully cover up obvious abuse? (What I'm guessing as most likely)

Or was the church leadership unable to believe the priests would do that in several or many cases? (Seems possible, But unlikely)
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2018 12:21:12 AM
Leaning wrote:
I imagine that it would have been better if the Churches had publicly denounced the priests and excommunicated them (Or is that just Catholics? ).

I haven't really looked into the sex scandals in depth. Did they willfully cover up obvious abuse? (What I'm guessing as most likely)

Or was the church leadership unable to believe the priests would do that in several or many cases? (Seems possible, But unlikely)

Australia has just undergone an extensive and exhaustive Royal Commission into institutionalised sexual abuse.

The outcome revealed that not only was sexual abuse systemic in religious institutions, But it was also systemically covered up.

Already, The world's highest-ranking Catholic cleric (the Bishop of Adelaide, Where I live) to be convicted of covering up abuse has occurred with many others around the world following suit.

So, There was an inground culture within these churches to hush-up abusive behaviour and what is said in the confessional box goes no further.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2018 12:25:25 AM
I'd imagine there is value to the sacredness of confession, But no system is perfect I imagine.

Pity they covered it up, If there were other paths they could have taken. And I would imagine there must be other paths they might have chosen, Church has been around a long time, Time enough to have moral contingencies I would think.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2018 1:41:00 AM
Leaning wrote:
I'd imagine there is value to the sacredness of confession, But no system is perfect I imagine.

Pity they covered it up, If there were other paths they could have taken. And I would imagine there must be other paths they might have chosen, Church has been around a long time, Time enough to have moral contingencies I would think.

The only moral contingencies for a white minimum wage earner like you with just a high school diploma would be unemployment insurance. You might have to live with this truth for all your working life.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2018 1:50:32 AM
Leaning wrote:
Hm?
Your DDO profile. About Me:Shallow education. A bit rambly. A bit lacking in coherence at times. Generally meh.

You don't leave much to the imagination.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2018 4:09:43 AM
Harikrish wrote:
Leaning wrote:
Hm?
Your DDO profile. About Me:Shallow education. A bit rambly. A bit lacking in coherence at times. Generally meh.

You don't leave much to the imagination.

With what Haikari has levelled at you, You're lucky.

He can't get over discovering the copy/paste functions and persistently, With boring monotony pastes posts to me relating to the concept that Antipodeans are convicts who habitually engage in bestiality.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.