Jump to topic:

Are Theists Reasonable?

Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2019 12:52:50 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
There have been Theists who have been architects, Scientists, Philosophers, Writers, Teachers, Leaders, Professors, Policemen, Firemen, Near any profession, Have there not?

Do you think a person could excel in any of these fields without possessing reason? Whether it is of logic or willing to consider another side to an argument. What else do you think a Devil's Advocate position exists for?

Perhaps a snide answer would be they have to force themselves to appoint a person to an opposite view to consider it. But the truth is that it is difficult for anyone to consider against their core values (I think)
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2019 8:47:23 PM
Leaning wrote:
There have been Theists who have been architects, Scientists, Philosophers, Writers, Teachers, Leaders, Professors, Policemen, Firemen, Near any profession, Have there not?

Do you think a person could excel in any of these fields without possessing reason? Whether it is of logic or willing to consider another side to an argument. What else do you think a Devil's Advocate position exists for?

Perhaps a snide answer would be they have to force themselves to appoint a person to an opposite view to consider it. But the truth is that it is difficult for anyone to consider against their core values (I think)

The facts show that most (at least 86%) of those who say they are Christians, For example, Are not at all but use their religion for ulterior motives or identify by name only.
You could say that they are not constantly deluded and do listen to reason.

Of those who do believe there is a God, Their profession has nothing to do with their deluded state. I know a doctor for example, Who is a Jehovahs Witness and there are many medical procedures she refuses to do.
For a medical practitioner who has taken the oath, Do you think that is reasonable?
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2019 3:30:13 AM
Yes. People have values.

Seems a dishonest and false sidestep to claim that the only reasonable theists are liars. To me it sounds more a projection of your own beliefs, Almost as if you don't understand how a normal person could have faith (But that's probably too reaching on my part).

If a person is able to logical in their profession and other parts in their life, I don't see why I shouldn't call them reasonable. I'm just pointing out that being a theist does not make a person unreasonable.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2019 10:34:44 AM
Yes. People have values.

Seems a dishonest and false sidestep to claim that the only reasonable theists are liars. To me it sounds more a projection of your own beliefs, Almost as if you don't understand how a normal person could have faith (But that's probably too reaching on my part).

Not in this case Leaning. You'll see.

If a person is able to logical in their profession and other parts in their life, I don't see why I shouldn't call them reasonable. I'm just pointing out that being a theist does not make a person unreasonable.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2019 9:38:43 AM
Leaning wrote:
Yes. People have values.

That's right. . . However you made a condition. . . . "if" and, As in the case I quoted, That is obviously not the case, Is it?
The doctor refuses certain medical procedures to her patients. She does not attend birthday parties, Nor celebrate Christmas and refuses to vote, All in the name of religion.

All religious organizations impose restrictive, Prejudiced and absurd rules on their followers and their resulting behavior permeates through all aspects of their lives whether it be through their work or social behavior.

Their "values" are out of line with the rest of normal, Decent society, In fact, It is anti-social behavior. And one would need to be ignorant and arrogant to think otherwise.

You have raised the issue before, Implying somehow that a degree or doctorate gives one some sort of credence or immunity to psychological disorders.

That is not the case, Of course; there are wacky road workers and there are wacky doctors.

What we do know is that anyone who actually believes in God is wacky, A sandwich short of a picnic, Crazy as a soup sandwich, Not playing with a full deck. Whatever you want to call it, They suffer from hallucinations and are deluded.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2019 2:41:26 PM
So it is your view then, That for all the aforementioned professions, 'reason is not needed for a person to learn them or to excel in them?

Religion, The military, Business organizations, School, Society, Have rules. Not all of them make sense. Doesn't warrant a blanket statement deriding and overblowing the organizations themselves or their negatives. Doing so ignores the positives and true situation. Your statements make me think you'd see a chessboard and declare it's simply a blackboard.

I know many fine people who are religious and find their values hand in hand with the values of 'decent 'society. Seems bit subjective what 'decent is though or 'society.

Seems a mighty large difference (To me) between someone who is officially diagnosed with schizophrenia or some delusional disorder and a person who is religious.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2019 11:49:43 AM
Leaning wrote:
So it is your view then, That for all the aforementioned professions, 'reason is not needed for a person to learn them or to excel in them?

Religion, The military, Business organizations, School, Society, Have rules. Not all of them make sense. Doesn't warrant a blanket statement deriding and overblowing the organizations themselves or their negatives. Doing so ignores the positives and true situation. Your statements make me think you'd see a chessboard and declare it's simply a blackboard.

I know many fine people who are religious and find their values hand in hand with the values of 'decent 'society. Seems bit subjective what 'decent is though or 'society.

Seems a mighty large difference (To me) between someone who is officially diagnosed with schizophrenia or some delusional disorder and a person who is religious.

Come on. . . . You are resorting to your "generic", "blanket" arguments again and making things up. . . . . . (So it is your view then, . . . . Or to excel in them? )
What the? . . . . . Talk about a sandwich short of a picnic.

. . . . . "Have rules. Not all of them make sense. " come on. . . . . . Religious rules are the most hideous, Senseless, Outmoded, Anti-social, Primitive that anyone can dream up. . . . Do you really want me to list them and how vulgar they are?

You know very well that I have stated many times that most people who claim to be religious ( at least 86% of them) are not at all and have fully qualified the statement. . . . Right?

You know very well that I have also stated many times and fully qualified that anyone who believes in God is deluded. . . . . Right?

Get real.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2019 10:43:12 AM
Leaning wrote:
Eh, We appear to agree to disagree again.

That's entirely up to you if you want to disagree with sound, Proven facts and reason.

You do have the choice of agreeing and forming a balanced perspective on life.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.