Jump to topic:

Does Stupidity Beget Stupidity?

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2019 11:11:37 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I think it has been demonstrated beyond a doubt that those who actually believe in God are stupid.
|'stju:pid| having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

And, I'm not just taking the pee for the sake of it but talking matter-of-factly as an atheist who has the ability to stand out from a situation and be analytical.

For example, I remember going to church on Sundays and would observe everyone after the service standing around with forced smiles on their dials, Saying pleasant nothings in subdued, Monotonous voices, Holding their teacups with two fingers and eating plain, Stale biscuits. I knew full well that as soon as they get home, Those same people would start abusing the crap out of each other and drink out of coffee mugs.
Plain stupid.

So, The point that I am unpacking here is that these people are stupid because of their deluded states and they will actually commit to doing stupid things without even realizing it.
We see this behavior every day with the common bigotry that is rife throughout religious organizations. "I hate the guts of homos, For it is written. . . . "
Apart from being obnoxious and arrogant, How stupid is such an explanation?

You may find yourself in a situation somewhat similar to the following:

Mother: For goodness sake, Stop being stupid; wearing your underpants on the outside of your jeans, Which are on back-to-front anyway.

You: Uh, Oh, Sorry, I didn't realise. It's just that the Bible says. . . . . . .

Mother:. . . . . And while you're at it, Take those band-aids off your spectacles. You can't go to your grandad's funeral looking so stupid.
Tradesecret
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2019 11:37:06 PM
No doubt Willow, You have stumbled onto something quite profound in your childhood.

At the church I attend, People like coming. They really do. We have several hundred attend on sunday and many throughout the week for the different activities that take place.

Of course we have good speakers, Good music, Good food and real coffee. And there are lots of young people and families and children and people smile genuinely when they talk to each other. Of course others don't smile ever. And some tell strange jokes and others like me when I get home sometimes yell at the kids.

But you see this is church and the reality it brings. People are messy - we are sinful people. It is not like we believe in God and everything becomes perfect. It is that we become more honest with ourselves. Of course there is no need to be yelling at your kids at church - but the same applies whether you go shopping or to the footy. Every person in this world has their public face and their private face. Some are closer than others. Most atheists I have met - hide their private drunkenness and sadness, And depression. They pretend more than most church people I know - that they are doing better than they really are. Yet the statistics reveal that more atheists and people of non-faith commit suicide far more than religious people. If they are really doing so well - why the evidence otherwise?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2019 4:24:04 AM
Tradesecret wrote:
No doubt Willow, You have stumbled onto something quite profound in your childhood.

At the church I attend, People like coming. They really do. We have several hundred attend on sunday and many throughout the week for the different activities that take place.

Of course we have good speakers, Good music, Good food and real coffee. And there are lots of young people and families and children and people smile genuinely when they talk to each other. Of course others don't smile ever. And some tell strange jokes and others like me when I get home sometimes yell at the kids.

But you see this is church and the reality it brings. People are messy - we are sinful people. It is not like we believe in God and everything becomes perfect. It is that we become more honest with ourselves. Of course there is no need to be yelling at your kids at church - but the same applies whether you go shopping or to the footy. Every person in this world has their public face and their private face. Some are closer than others. Most atheists I have met - hide their private drunkenness and sadness, And depression. They pretend more than most church people I know - that they are doing better than they really are. Yet the statistics reveal that more atheists and people of non-faith commit suicide far more than religious people. If they are really doing so well - why the evidence otherwise?

Well, Blow me down and do me sideways. I was up your way just a couple of weeks ago. If I had known I would have dropped in to experience such a utopia of earnest people exchanging meaningful, Intelligent dialogue. Oh, And not to mention the fresh espresso and Tim Tams.
Tradesecret
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2019 5:14:24 AM
Well, Blow me down and do me sideways. I was up your way just a couple of weeks ago. If I had known I would have dropped in to experience such a utopia of earnest people exchanging meaningful, Intelligent dialogue. Oh, And not to mention the fresh espresso and Tim Tams.

Well next time you are in the area let me know. I am sure we can find something different than a few tim tams.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2019 7:21:03 PM
Willows wrote:
Tradesecret wrote:

Any wonder Tradesecret has to yell at his kids for taking your type of requests like:. "Blow me down and do me sideways", Seriously. Don't you worry about spilling hot coffee on the person giving you the Tim Tams?

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.