Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

How Do Theists Decide?

Willows
Posts: 11,684
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2019 1:15:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Since theists cannot use reason or logic to justify the existence of their particular Creator, Is it reasonable and logical to assume that theists tend not to use reason or logic in everyday decision-making?
illegalcombat
Posts: 1,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2019 1:33:30 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Willows wrote:
Since theists cannot use reason or logic to justify the existence of their particular Creator, Is it reasonable and logical to assume that theists tend not to use reason or logic in everyday decision-making?

You would think so, But no, The human mind is a wondrous thing. I once heard about some guys who seem to be competent in highly technical fields (and thus requiring the logical/reasoning capabilities required to do that) and also thinking that flying planes into the world trade centre would just be fantastic and approved and rewarded by a God.

How can this be possible? One answer I have heard is "Compartmentalization"
Willows
Posts: 11,684
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2019 2:03:22 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
illegalcombat wrote:
Willows wrote:
Since theists cannot use reason or logic to justify the existence of their particular Creator, Is it reasonable and logical to assume that theists tend not to use reason or logic in everyday decision-making?

You would think so, But no, The human mind is a wondrous thing. I once heard about some guys who seem to be competent in highly technical fields (and thus requiring the logical/reasoning capabilities required to do that) and also thinking that flying planes into the world trade centre would just be fantastic and approved and rewarded by a God.

How can this be possible? One answer I have heard is "Compartmentalization"

Yes, I think that is a distinct possibility. I've come across workers who are focused and efficient at performing their given tasks but put them in a different situation, Or their private lives and they can be as nutty as a fruit cake.

What I am getting at though is that since religious (lack of) reasoning dominates a religious person's day to day thinking it could easily flow into other areas and be the cause of wrong decision-making.

There is the well-reported case of Mark Saylor (look it up) who lost control of his car and ended up killing himself and his family because he didn't know what to do about a floor mat that had jammed his accelerator pedal.
He and his family were devout Christians; his last words were "hold on and pray". Yet there were many others who experienced the same problem who had the presence of mind to rectify the problem and avoid a crash.
Tradesecret
Posts: 1,552
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2019 4:14:45 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Since theists cannot use reason or logic to justify the existence of their particular Creator, Is it reasonable and logical to assume that theists tend not to use reason or logic in everyday decision-making?

The statement you make is non-true. Theists who accept the self evident truth that God exists do not need to justify or prove the exist of God. That would be a nonsense. Yet, Other theists including yourself use reason and logic to justify your position all of the time. Not that you use very good reason or logic of course. And not that you have actually come close to justifying or proving your position either. But of course - you accept it by faith that you are correct and others are wrong.

Yet, Theists who accept the self-evident proposition of God also use reason and logic in all that they do. In fact, Logic and reason have been used probably more often by theists throughout history than so called - non theists.

You personally seem to derive some kind of pleasure of using black humour and speculation to make your points. You don't use logic very well. Even the premise of this discussion seems to show that you are unable to differentiate between a cause and an effect. You seem to struggle with concepts that most primary school children would gobble up before morning recess.

Still, If it makes you feel smugly satisfied to continue in your own delusional worldview - go for it. Others of us actually like to learn and use reason to draw conclusions about life and all that goes on it. The origin of life and the universe is fascinating. Yet, We can also ask "what next"? As well. You like the rest of the atheistic worldview cannot in good conscious actually start looking at the question until you resolve the first - which obviously has not been resolved or you would be asking the next.

Theists - on the other hand - are not caught up in a two dimensional world - and therefore can think and reason and consider on many other levels - ones which you would be afraid to touch. I would rather be plugged into all that there is - than in the puny little and limited closed world you live in. But still, That is your choice - nice, Risk averse, Safe, World - of which you actually cannot explain yet. And probably never will.
Willows
Posts: 11,684
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2019 11:37:56 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Tradesecret wrote:
Since theists cannot use reason or logic to justify the existence of their particular Creator, Is it reasonable and logical to assume that theists tend not to use reason or logic in everyday decision-making?

The statement you make is non-true. Theists who accept the self evident truth that God exists do not need to justify or prove the exist of God. That would be a nonsense. Yet, Other theists including yourself use reason and logic to justify your position all of the time. Not that you use very good reason or logic of course. And not that you have actually come close to justifying or proving your position either. But of course - you accept it by faith that you are correct and others are wrong.

Yet, Theists who accept the self-evident proposition of God also use reason and logic in all that they do. In fact, Logic and reason have been used probably more often by theists throughout history than so called - non theists.

You personally seem to derive some kind of pleasure of using black humour and speculation to make your points. You don't use logic very well. Even the premise of this discussion seems to show that you are unable to differentiate between a cause and an effect. You seem to struggle with concepts that most primary school children would gobble up before morning recess.

Still, If it makes you feel smugly satisfied to continue in your own delusional worldview - go for it. Others of us actually like to learn and use reason to draw conclusions about life and all that goes on it. The origin of life and the universe is fascinating. Yet, We can also ask "what next"? As well. You like the rest of the atheistic worldview cannot in good conscious actually start looking at the question until you resolve the first - which obviously has not been resolved or you would be asking the next.

Theists - on the other hand - are not caught up in a two dimensional world - and therefore can think and reason and consider on many other levels - ones which you would be afraid to touch. I would rather be plugged into all that there is - than in the puny little and limited closed world you live in. But still, That is your choice - nice, Risk averse, Safe, World - of which you actually cannot explain yet. And probably never will.

I have faith that what I thoroughly research and use to formulate my opinions is balanced and correct. I keep it in check, Partly from the feedback I get from replies to posts and I consistently find that there are no successful challenges to my assertions or insinuations.

I would say that the faith that theists have is based on entirely falsely contrived, Negative absurdities and it is reasonable to conclude that, Given that believers in God are besoted with their faith, Everyday decisions can be affected accordingly.

Of course, I use dark humour in order to graphically colour my views but then you can't escape the fact that the Bible uses gross hyperbole to push its agenda.

Anyway, That's my style and Bible bashers who care to knock it are being a bit rich since their book of draconian primitive doom and gloom mongering hardly makes the light humour category, Does it?

So far as this thread goes, I have raised the issue in the past and the example of Mark Saylor I quoted in the post to Illegalcombat perfectly illustrates my point.
ethang5
Posts: 19,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2019 11:49:43 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Is spamming a board with more than 26 posts a day rational?

Is continuing to post the same drivel over and over logical?

Is spamming a dead board and getting no replies but continuing to do so sensible?

Every single post you've made boils down to, "Theist stupid, God not there. " Every single one.

Do you not have other interests? Do you not have a life? How stupid are you?
Willows
Posts: 11,684
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2019 12:03:50 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
ethang5 wrote:
Is spamming a board with more than 26 posts a day rational?

Oh Geeziz, Here he goes again digging up past crap.

You know very well that I did not spam. I placed (you say 26) posts in a day for want of introducing a decent number of threads to a new site that was completely devoid of such.

You also know very well that the reason I was flicked off the site (and it's in writing from one of the site's henchmen/women) is that my posts were anti-religious.

For that reason (and the fact that the henchman/woman lied about his or her role and the fact that my computer was hacked) I will not have a bar to do with such a biased, Censored site.
Harikrish
Posts: 29,686
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2019 9:27:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Willows wrote:
ethang5 wrote:
Is spamming a board with more than 26 posts a day rational?

Oh Geeziz, Here he goes again digging up past crap.

You know very well that I did not spam. I placed (you say 26) posts in a day for want of introducing a decent number of threads to a new site that was completely devoid of such.

You also know very well that the reason I was flicked off the site (and it's in writing from one of the site's henchmen/women) is that my posts were anti-religious.

For that reason (and the fact that the henchman/woman lied about his or her role and the fact that my computer was hacked) I will not have a bar to do with such a biased, Censored site.

The poor nigger Ethang5 has been smuggling bibles illegally for over 15 years and confessed he is an African living in Ghana Africa. Yet he comes here trying to be sanctimonious and claiming everyone is African in an attempt to smear non Blacks with melanin.
Willows
Posts: 11,684
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2019 10:18:23 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Harikrish wrote:
Willows wrote:
ethang5 wrote:
Is spamming a board with more than 26 posts a day rational?

Oh Geeziz, Here he goes again digging up past crap.

You know very well that I did not spam. I placed (you say 26) posts in a day for want of introducing a decent number of threads to a new site that was completely devoid of such.

You also know very well that the reason I was flicked off the site (and it's in writing from one of the site's henchmen/women) is that my posts were anti-religious.

For that reason (and the fact that the henchman/woman lied about his or her role and the fact that my computer was hacked) I will not have a bar to do with such a biased, Censored site.

The poor nigger Ethang5 has been smuggling bibles illegally for over 15 years and confessed he is an African living in Ghana Africa. Yet he comes here trying to be sanctimonious and claiming everyone is African in an attempt to smear non Blacks with melanin.
Yep, And as we know, If you let someone smear enough melanin, Some of it is bound to stick.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.