Jump to topic:

Why did Jesus undergo baptism?

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2020 3:00:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Jewish priest were required to bathe and wash their garments regularly.

"The origins of baptism might be found in the book of Leviticus where the Levite priests were commanded to perform a symbolic cleansing in water before and after performing their priestly duties. Leviticus 16:4 tells us, "He is to put on the sacred linen tunic, With linen undergarments next to his body; he is to tie the linen sash around him and put on the linen turban. These are sacred garments; so he must bathe himself with water before he puts them on. " Scripture also states in Leviticus 16:23-24, "Then Aaron is to go into the Tent of Meeting and take off the linen garments he put on before he entered the Most Holy Place, And he is to leave them there. He shall bathe himself with water in a holy place and put on his regular garments. Then he shall come out and sacrifice the burnt offering for himself and the burnt offering for the people, To make atonement for himself and for the people. "

But Christians had to find a different word for the traditional routine of bathing because Jesus was immersed in water only once which was when John baptized Jesus. Jesus remained an unwashed Jew after that. He even walked on water to avoid coming in contact with water. The word baptism conveys the message it is required only once. Jesus was baptized once he bathe only once.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2020 1:29:36 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Scriptures tell us Jesus was given wine/vinegar which was actually bleach to disinfect his mouth of all the lies he spoke before he died.

Matthew 27:48 Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, Put it on a staff, And offered it to Jesus to drink. 49 The rest said, "Now leave him alone. Let"s see if Elijah comes to save him. "

The bleach had the effect of whitening his skin which made him appear more Ghost like to his disciples after his resurrection.
This is why Jesus is portrayed as an albino by Christians even though he was a middle eastern Jew.

Matthew 14:26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, They were terrified. "It's a ghost! " they said, And cried out in fear.

Luke 24:37 They were startled and frightened, Thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, "Why are you troubled, And why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, As you see I have. "

40 When he had said this, He showed them his hands and feet. 41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, He asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat? " 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.

Scriptures also tell us Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist. That involved full immersion in water. But that happened only once. Jesus never washed after that. Which was why he was offered bleach on the cross. But he could not be washed before he was laid in the tomb because Sabbath was soon approaching, So he died an unwashed Jew.

Mary returned the next day to wash Jesus's body and remove the years of built up dirt and stench from his unwashed body.

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, And Salome bought spices so they could go and anoint the body of Jesus.

Luke 23:56 Then they returned to prepare spices and perfumes. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2021 1:21:55 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
The bible gives us the impression Jesus treated women differently than men.

John 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, And saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, And say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, And your Father; and to my God, And your God.

But at Luke 24:39 he encourages his followers to touch to feel that he is not a ghost/spirit.

Jesus then goes even further and implores "doubting Thomas" to:, "Reach hither thy finger, And behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, And thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, But believing John 20:27.

Is there another explanation for Jesus's strange behaviour?

Jewish priest were required to bathe and wash their garments regularly.

"The origins of baptism might be found in the book of Leviticus where the Levite priests were commanded to perform a symbolic cleansing in water before and after performing their priestly duties. Leviticus 16:4 tells us, "He is to put on the sacred linen tunic, With linen undergarments next to his body; he is to tie the linen sash around him and put on the linen turban. These are sacred garments; so he must bathe himself with water before he puts them on. " Scripture also states in Leviticus 16:23-24, "Then Aaron is to go into the Tent of Meeting and take off the linen garments he put on before he entered the Most Holy Place, And he is to leave them there. He shall bathe himself with water in a holy place and put on his regular garments. Then he shall come out and sacrifice the burnt offering for himself and the burnt offering for the people, To make atonement for himself and for the people. "

But Christians had to find a different word for the traditional routine of bathing because Jesus was immersed in water only once which was when John baptized Jesus. Jesus remained an unwashed Jew after that. He even walked on water to avoid coming in contact with water. The word baptism conveys the message it is required only once. Jesus was baptized once therefore he bathe only once in his entire life.

So the reason Jesus did not let Mary touch him in the tomb must be seen in the context of why Mary was there in the first place.

Mark 16:1 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, And Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus" body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, Just after sunrise, They were on their way to the tomb.

Luke 24:1 On the first day of the week, Very early in the morning, The women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2 They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they entered, They did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.

Both verses tell us Mary was there to wash and anoint Jesus because he was hastily put in the tomb unwashed the day before to avoid the Sabbath. Now that the Sabbath was over they went to wash and anoint his body. But we know Jesus avoided water all his life except at his baptism and even after his resurrection his phobia of water never ceased. Jesus asked Mary not to wash or touch him which put in context is consistent with his phobia of water.

Jesus instead showed his preference to be probed by men washed or unwashed.

Harikrish biblical scholar and spiritual leader.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.