Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

why isn't it immoral to work on sunday now?

linate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 1:50:07 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
i'm asking especially to those that say the bible is inerrant. i mean, i suppose that commandment from the ten commandments could be argued as just a jewish law that stopped when Jesus came, but are there other ways to argue why it's no longer immoral?

i know it's common to distinguish things like that but i often wonder how it's done so easily, cause the rule could be viewed as a question of basic morality that must still be followed. how does a fundamentalist ensure they are right in calling it one thing and not the other?
i guess i just view it as perhaps possible to be relaxed about the rule and still be fundamentalist, but it just seems a lot easier to say maybe the bible got it wrong anyway so why worry?

plus while you are addressing this.... why isn't this about sunday when it seems pretty clear it was meant for saturday as the sabbath?

and how did it go from not working on the sabbath to having to go to church on the sabbath? if you dont have an authority like the catholic church as your leader, an outside entity.... i dont know who could say "this is a new thing but it's the rule, and it must be the way it is"

i recognize there are some sects that still follow not working on saturday, but they are very few.

it seems like the easiest way to answer this is that it's not so much about the rule being this or that, but that our cultures changed so we just find a way to rationalize it to suit our desires.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 1:54:45 PM
At 6/17/2018 1:50:07 PM, linate wrote:
i'm asking especially to those that say the bible is inerrant. i mean, i suppose that commandment from the ten commandments could be argued as just a jewish law that stopped when Jesus came, but are there other ways to argue why it's no longer immoral?

i know it's common to distinguish things like that but i often wonder how it's done so easily, cause the rule could be viewed as a question of basic morality that must still be followed. how does a fundamentalist ensure they are right in calling it one thing and not the other?
i guess i just view it as perhaps possible to be relaxed about the rule and still be fundamentalist, but it just seems a lot easier to say maybe the bible got it wrong anyway so why worry?

plus while you are addressing this.... why isn't this about sunday when it seems pretty clear it was meant for saturday as the sabbath?

and how did it go from not working on the sabbath to having to go to church on the sabbath? if you dont have an authority like the catholic church as your leader, an outside entity.... i dont know who could say "this is a new thing but it's the rule, and it must be the way it is"

i recognize there are some sects that still follow not working on saturday, but they are very few.

it seems like the easiest way to answer this is that it's not so much about the rule being this or that, but that our cultures changed so we just find a way to rationalize it to suit our desires.

Jews don't work on Saturday but let's ignore that to be bigots to Christians. Tard
linate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:02:23 PM
jesus was accused of breaking the sabbath twice. once when gathering food and once when healing someone. when he gathered food, he said the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath. i guess if anyone has the authority to say somehting like that, it would be jesus.... but i dont know how it goes from being God's command to kill people for getting necessities to it's okay if you really need to. at least that's what it looks like, cause the man who was stoned due to God's command for gathering sticks seems like on the surface that he needed to gather sticks. i think it's easiest to just say God didn't command the man to be stoned an the bible got it wrong.

when he wwas accused for healing someone, he said "it makes sense to save your sheep on the sabbath so why not a person?". i mean, i feel like i'm not one to criticize what Jesus says, unless the bible is wrong here.... but saying that doesn't say why it's moral to save a sheep to begin with either. there was no real rational given here.
linate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:05:22 PM
it looks like christians on the internet say you should follow the rule as it was unless you have a good reason not to, similar to what Jesus said. but if it's just a jewish law anyway, why would we at all feel obligated to follow it nowadays? i can see it as a good thing to emulate, but i can't see it being an imposed rule like christians like to treat it as. they seem to speak out both sides of their mouth.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:05:55 PM
At 6/17/2018 2:05:22 PM, linate wrote:
it looks like christians on the internet say you should follow the rule as it was unless you have a good reason not to, similar to what Jesus said. but if it's just a jewish law anyway, why would we at all feel obligated to follow it nowadays? i can see it as a good thing to emulate, but i can't see it being an imposed rule like christians like to treat it as. they seem to speak out both sides of their mouth.

So again, bigotry. Poor tard. Get a life on Sunday.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:25:11 PM
At 6/17/2018 2:02:23 PM, linate wrote:
jesus was accused of breaking the sabbath twice. once when gathering food and once when healing someone. when he gathered food, he said the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath. i guess if anyone has the authority to say somehting like that, it would be jesus.... but i dont know how it goes from being God's command to kill people for getting necessities to it's okay if you really need to. at least that's what it looks like, cause the man who was stoned due to God's command for gathering sticks seems like on the surface that he needed to gather sticks. i think it's easiest to just say God didn't command the man to be stoned an the bible got it wrong.

when he wwas accused for healing someone, he said "it makes sense to save your sheep on the sabbath so why not a person?". i mean, i feel like i'm not one to criticize what Jesus says, unless the bible is wrong here.... but saying that doesn't say why it's moral to save a sheep to begin with either. there was no real rational given here.

I think that once caught doing stuff on the sabbath Jesus had to say something or risk getting stoned to death. Lucky for him they accepted his argument - otherwise history would have been very different.

It is unfortunate that Jesus was a bit late. Enemies of the Jews back to the Babylonians or even before had noted that the Jews were reluctant to fight back if attacked on their Sabbath.
https://www.ministrymagazine.org...
That was fixed in the 2nd century BCE when it was decided that Jews could fight in self defence on the Sabbath.

That was the start of a slippery slope that has led to shops being open 7 days a week and double-rate overtime.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:25:57 PM
At 6/17/2018 2:25:11 PM, keithprosser wrote:

I think that once caught doing stuff on the sabbath Jesus had to say something or risk getting stoned to death. Lucky for him they accepted his argument - otherwise history would have been very different.

It is unfortunate that Jesus was a bit late. Enemies of the Jews back to the Babylonians or even before had noted that the Jews were reluctant to fight back if attacked on their Sabbath.
That was fixed in the 2nd century BCE when it was decided that Jews could fight in self defence on the Sabbath.

That was the start of a slippery slope that has led to shops being open 7 days a week and double-rate overtime.

Jesus never lied on Earth, you moron.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:37:27 PM
At 6/17/2018 2:25:57 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Oops - I slipped into a way of talking as if what is in the Bible actually happened. Did it really happen that Jesus and his friends were caught getting a quick snack from a cornfield on the sabbath, or is it is there to justify a relaxation of the Mosaic Sabbath laws to make Christianity less intimidating to new converts?
I think whether it happened is less important than why Matthew included the episode.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 2:38:30 PM
At 6/17/2018 2:37:27 PM, keithprosser wrote:

Oops - I slipped into a way of talking as if what is in the Bible actually happened. Did it really happen that Jesus and his friends were caught getting a quick snack from a cornfield on the sabbath, or is it is there to justify a relaxation of the Mosaic Sabbath laws to make Christianity less intimidating to new converts?
I think whether it happened is less important than why Matthew included the episode.

Jesus never lived on Earth. Myth is myth you fu@king tard.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 3:03:58 PM
At 6/17/2018 2:38:30 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

I'm not convinced by the 'Christ myth' theory. I don't accept the only alternatives are that Jesus was a virgin-born, miracle working son of God or He didn't exist at all.
I'd bet a dollar that there was flesh and blood Jesus. I'm not sure I'd bet 10 dollars on it though!
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 3:23:26 PM
At 6/17/2018 3:03:58 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 6/17/2018 2:38:30 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

I'm not convinced by the 'Christ myth' theory. I don't accept the only alternatives are that Jesus was a virgin-born, miracle working son of God or He didn't exist at all.
I'd bet a dollar that there was flesh and blood Jesus. I'm not sure I'd bet 10 dollars on it though!

Tard
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 3:32:34 PM
If you work on a Sunday, you dont go to church .
If you dont go to church , Jesus doesn't get no cash now does he ?

Now working on a sunday means your getting good cash.
And if i know your jesus god like i think do .
Jesus lovessssssssssssssssssssssssss cashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Back in the days Jesus needed you to attend church so he can get some of that cash off you.
So working on a sunday was totally immoral. Understood
But now gods are up with the times and you can direct debit him cash to cover you not going to church and to show the love you have for him. ( $200 ish )

So working on a sunday pre direct debit. Immoral.
Now.
You're All good .
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 3:35:25 PM
At 6/17/2018 3:23:26 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:
Tard

I may have not instantly grasped that when you wrote
"Jesus never lied on Earth, you moron." it was a typo for "Jesus never liVed on Earth, you moron."

That doesn't make make me moron - it makes you a bad typist or proof-reader!
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 3:52:07 PM
At 6/17/2018 3:35:25 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 6/17/2018 3:23:26 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:
Tard

I may have not instantly grasped that when you wrote
"Jesus never lied on Earth, you moron." it was a typo for "Jesus never liVed on Earth, you moron."

That doesn't make make me moron - it makes you a bad typist or proof-reader!

Tard.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2018 4:52:09 PM

Jesus was unemployed most of his life. The only time he could meet people were on holidays and the sabbath. So he was forced to pick those days to display his tricks. But it offended the people nevertheless.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2018 12:45:09 AM
At 6/17/2018 1:50:07 PM, linate wrote:

In most of your posts, you seem to be saying the "easier" answer is the truthful one. Can you defend that bit of illogic?

The truthful answer is the correct one.

You say you are a christian but obviously know nothing of Christian doctrine? What does "being a christian" mean to you?

You don't have to listen to this next part cause I know you aren't interested in the truth. I post it here for those who may have the same question but aren't dishonest fakes.

The law was not, and has not changed. Laws apply to people only as long as they are alive. When we are crucified with Christ and then recreated in being born again, we become subject to a new law. The law of Christ.

It's all laid out in Romans and Hebrews. And if our dishonest fake was not a fake, he would know this.

As for the sabbath, it hasn't changed either. But for a Christian, everyday is holy unto God. Everyday is the sabbath. The other 6 days got elevated.

Ok fake, I'm done. Back to you and your fakery.