Jump to topic:

Cremation in the modern Christian context

Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 1:30:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Doing some reading on cremation it came to mind that in the Bible cremation or destruction by fire is reserved for pagan places of worship and those who live in sin like prostitutes. Burial seemed to be the choice and not being buried in a family tomb was bad luck or troubling. Catholics are very strict on the burial with no cremation.

Today cremation is growing as a option with most people not wanting large expensive funerals, viewings and taking up space once gone.

Considering the connotation in the Torah about burning being for sinful or tainted people/ items would you consider or be cremated?

Do you think cremation will effect being entered into heaven?

Do you think the image of fire in Hell stems from the idea fire is for pagan/evil things/ people?

Do you think cremation would ever become standard in the future?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 1:33:16 PM
At 6/22/2018 1:30:09 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:
Doing some reading on cremation it came to mind that in the Bible cremation or destruction by fire is reserved for pagan places of worship and those who live in sin like prostitutes. Burial seemed to be the choice and not being buried in a family tomb was bad luck or troubling. Catholics are very strict on the burial with no cremation.

Today cremation is growing as a option with most people not wanting large expensive funerals, viewings and taking up space once gone.

Considering the connotation in the Torah about burning being for sinful or tainted people/ items would you consider or be cremated?

Do you think the image of fire in Hell stems from the idea fire is for pagan/evil things/ people?

It is pretty standard here in the UK, my Anglican Priest daughter does more cremations than burials these days.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 1:35:54 PM
At 6/22/2018 1:33:16 PM, JJ50 wrote:

It is pretty standard here in the UK, my Anglican Priest daughter does more cremations than burials these days.

It's becoming more common here. Viewings that used to last three days are now one and more people are choosing the option but the Catholics here will not even consider it. I actually don't know many Christians who want it done and they don't use the Bible for the reason.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 1:58:58 PM
Cremated is crazy i reckon ,
And Getting incinerated look painful.
How could you ever possibly know or ever be the slightest bit sure you wouldn't feel it .
Ludofl3x
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:07:21 PM
Doesn't the prohibition on Christian cremations come from the idea that you're supposed to be raised bodily from the dead on the day of rapture or judgement, and if you're burned, it's apparently not possible to do so?
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:13:59 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:07:21 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:
Doesn't the prohibition on Christian cremations come from the idea that you're supposed to be raised bodily from the dead on the day of rapture or judgement, and if you're burned, it's apparently not possible to do so?

Good question. I took it to come from the Old Testament passages but that could very well be. Jews would let the body decompose in a tomb. You would think Jesus/God could do what he wants. Preserving the body sounds Egyptian more than Jewish.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:14:37 PM
At 6/22/2018 1:35:54 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

It's becoming more common here. Viewings that used to last three days are now one and more people are choosing the option but the Catholics here will not even consider it. I actually don't know many Christians who want it done and they don't use the Bible for the reason.

Two of my relatives, who died in the last few weeks, were cremated and they were of the 'born again' persuasion.

It is rare here in the UK for dead bodies to be put on display for people to view, unlike the US.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:23:41 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:14:37 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Two of my relatives, who died in the last few weeks, were cremated and they were of the 'born again' persuasion.

It is rare here in the UK for dead bodies to be put on display for people to view, unlike the US.

Did you have home viewings in the past? I don't know much about UK funerals.
Ludofl3x
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:26:58 PM

The relatives I've had who've died within the last ten years have all be cremated, and no funeral, no viewing, just a get together at the house with food and family, and oddly, no religious connotations at all, at least not at the get togethers. The idea of doing it with the wake and the funeral and all that is so morose, I've already told my wife, don't do any of that for me.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:31:39 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:23:41 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Coffins are usually closed and are more often that not kept at the undertakers until the funeral. I have never seen the dead body of any of my relatives, including my parents.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:32:57 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:26:58 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:

The relatives I've had who've died within the last ten years have all be cremated, and no funeral, no viewing, just a get together at the house with food and family, and oddly, no religious connotations at all, at least not at the get togethers. The idea of doing it with the wake and the funeral and all that is so morose, I've already told my wife, don't do any of that for me.

My husband and I don't want a funeral, just sent to the crem, and disposed of with no fuss.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:35:07 PM

I think it's a waste of space. Imagine gardens of food or housing where cemeteries are. And three days is too long and exhausting. Most now do a day and call it quits. They only religious funerals here are if the person was. I have been to some that were hell fire sermons and some that had family say nice stuff.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:37:14 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:31:39 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Coffins are usually closed and are more often that not kept at the undertakers until the funeral. I have never seen the dead body of any of my relatives, including my parents.

Wow really? I have been to twenty five (friends and family) or so over my life and only three had no viewing. I was with both grandmothers when they passed.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:41:15 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:37:14 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

Wow really? I have been to twenty five (friends and family) or so over my life and only three had no viewing. I was with both grandmothers when they passed.

I have only been to about five in my 68 years. I didn't attend my mother's funeral as it wasn't convenient to do so, I paid for my three girls to fly to my home island and represent me.
Ludofl3x
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:42:52 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:35:07 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

I think it's a waste of space. Imagine gardens of food or housing where cemeteries are. And three days is too long and exhausting. Most now do a day and call it quits. They only religious funerals here are if the person was. I have been to some that were hell fire sermons and some that had family say nice stuff.

Exactly what I think, a total waste of space and resources that down the road are going to become far more critical. Besides, I don't think it's emotionally healthy to have that weird anchor for your life sunk somewhere. My mother in law's father died a while back, and she goes to the grave like five times a year and just gets totally upset. I don't want that at all. Toss my ashes over a golf course if you must, or just throw them in the trash, they're not me.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:54:19 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:42:52 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:

Exactly what I think, a total waste of space and resources that down the road are going to become far more critical. Besides, I don't think it's emotionally healthy to have that weird anchor for your life sunk somewhere. My mother in law's father died a while back, and she goes to the grave like five times a year and just gets totally upset. I don't want that at all. Toss my ashes over a golf course if you must, or just throw them in the trash, they're not me.

There was a neighbour of ours, an elderly man, now dead, who used to visit his wife's grave THREE times a day, every day of the year, HOW SAD!
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 2:57:12 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:41:15 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 6/22/2018 2:37:14 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:

I have only been to about five in my 68 years. I didn't attend my mother's funeral as it wasn't convenient to do so, I paid for my three girls to fly to my home island and represent me.

I am only 47 I feel like now I have been to a lot but I have a large family on my dad's side especially. My husband has one too.
Ludofl3x
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 3:00:47 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:54:19 PM, JJ50 wrote:

There was a neighbour of ours, an elderly man, now dead, who used to visit his wife's grave THREE times a day, every day of the year, HOW SAD!

I mean sincerely sad, not like snarkily sad. You just want the people to be able to move on and live their lives. It's a hard thing to imagine when you're alive, but once you're dead, what they do can't matter to you. The idea of my spouse having to go someplace to remember me only to cry about it, or not pursuing some wish of hers to go live somewhere else because she'd be abandoning a pile of bones and a stone somewhere, or even just having it as something hampering her ability to get back to living, it's really, really, really sad.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 3:01:16 PM
At 6/22/2018 2:54:19 PM, JJ50 wrote:

I don't visit graves. Seems silly when I can just talk to someone in my house or car or what not. I would hate to think they are spirit bound to their grave. How depressing even if most are nice places scenery wise.
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 3:55:22 PM
At 6/22/2018 3:40:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
Who gives a fuk, your dead, it's all over.

That will certainly apply to you.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2018 4:22:05 PM
At 6/22/2018 3:55:22 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:
At 6/22/2018 3:40:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
Who gives a fuk, your dead, it's all over.

That will certainly apply to you.
Go to Salem and have a bonfire, woohoo, burn baby burn. Fukwit.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2018 4:32:46 AM
At 6/22/2018 5:37:46 PM, Polytheist_Witch wrote:
Your violent threat is reported.
Back in the good old days you could get cremated for free witchy.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2018 8:21:52 AM
At 6/23/2018 4:32:46 AM, bulproof wrote:

Returning to the actual OP, AFAIK Judaism does not approve of cremation and Christian doctrine does not explicitly revoke that prohibition.

I am not a Jew so I don't know how strong the anti-cremation feeling is in that community, but it is presumably much stronger than amongst Christians. Cremation is also haram (forbidden) in Islam.

As an atheist I don't care what happens to my corpse, but were I believer I might worry that cremation was 'not ideal', to say the least!
Polytheist_Witch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2018 11:47:38 AM
At 6/23/2018 4:32:46 AM, bulproof wrote:

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.